The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old November 05, 2018, 12:29   #1
Mark V
Registered

FALaholic #: 40433
Want to reunite FN49 Lux # 4207 and 0705 with each other.

I finally was able to get an AL FN49, in reasonably good shape, from apparently an estate sale. Only thing I didn't know was the carrier and bolt are mismatched.

I'll be headspacing, as always with used guns, but I wondered if anyone had the carrier for #4207, or if they needed the carrier for #0705.

If I need a locking shoulder, what are the increments and markings for the 49? (Vs. the ones in say, an STG-58)

Also, is it normal to to be able to remove the blade (plate, not spring) style-FPSS blade from the bolt? Seems like it's peened at the pivot point. Pin pulls under it, just can't get the blade out.

Otherwise, I'm just spending time tearing it down to the component level and cleaning to poor old girl. Some savage didn't clean her properly!

Thanks!
Old November 06, 2018, 10:28   #2
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
Luxembourg contract serial numbers started at 1001. If you have a bolt carrier that is serialed 0705 then it is from another contract. Is the bolt carrier serialized on the SIDE or the REAR of the carrier? Is the operating handle on the bolt carrier smooth or checkered?

No official documentation has yet been found regarding the markings on FN-49 locking shoulders. Numrich has a bunch of "sizes" in stock but there is nothing to correlate that numerical designation with a dimension. I bought a couple locking shoulders in hopes of establishing some correlation but couldn't come up with anything...AND, it's too spendy to "collect the set"...

As you mentioned, most, but not all, of the plate-type FPSS's are somewhat secured in the bolt. On a few bolts, the FPSS will just drop out. I rarely bother to remove either type of FPSS as not much grit or crud tend to collect in the FPSS milling. You can always clean with an aerosol cleaner if there is some gunk in there.

I see it took you ten years to make your first post ! Come back more often...
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 00:13   #3
Mark V
Registered

FALaholic #: 40433
Goose,

The #0705 Carrier is numbered on the side, and the operating knob is smooth.

(The spare carrier I ordered from Northridge has no numbers, smooth knob, and has a brushed and blued surface. Basically looks unused.)

When I tore #4207 down I found the locking tab broken off the gas adjuster, and it was carboned almost in the closed bleed position. Bet that's why the carrier and bolt don't match...

I can't wait to make this thing zing again, but I need to headspace it and fix the broken bits!

I didn't realize it's been a decade since I joined, honestly I bet I logged in, in 08, and that was the last time until this week. I've been on total hobby hold since then. Zippo anything not existence critical.

Trying to change that with this 49.

Last edited by Mark V; November 07, 2018 at 00:15. Reason: Spelling error.
Mark V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 07, 2018, 06:56   #4
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
Your bolt carrier is most likely from the Argentine contract. As mentioned - Lux serial numbers started at 1001. Venezuelan bolt carriers would be serial numbered on the back of the carrier and have checkered operating handles. Belgian, Belgian Congo, Colombian, and Indonesian contract serial numbers could be that low, and they were serialed on the side, but they had checkered handles. Egypt would have an Arabic serial number and a checkered handle. Due to rarity - it's unlikely this is a bolt carrier from Brazil. That leaves Argentina with a smooth handle and serialed on the side of the carrier.

Breakage of the tab on the gas adjustment sleeve is not unusual and is one of the few parts (other than one-piece firing pins) that are prone to breakage on this rifle. This part is available.
Goose52 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fn-49