Notices

Old October 31, 2017, 08:30   #51
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12v71 View Post
No. I'm trying to get rid of a bunch of that stuff myself. I have the Proto 2k torque wrench, and the big impact sockets. At my age I hate that stuff and would gladly give it to a younger guy that wants to beat himself up the way I did 30 years ago. Largest socket I have used in the last 2 years was 3" and that was enough for me, even with a good 1"impact wrench. Mine is a Bluepoint that has 3K ultimate torque and checking it with a good multiplier and torque wrench it will hit that value no problem. It really does a good job of getting old cutting edge bolts out of big dozers without torching nuts.
I forgot about my torque multpliers. Have a calibrated 4:1 use in conjunction with the 2,000 pound torque wrench, I mean used to, when worked on the big 100 ft tall monopole billboards and for torquing the nuts on radio and cell tower bases. I came close to giving some of mine away till walked in local industrial supply to realize big U.S. made impact sockets are over $200 each these days. Besides, nobody under 35 wants to use these tools. They might con you then sell on fleabay but if could find Millineals that would turn in a decent days manual labor would still have three crews on the road.

Friend that works on logging equipment is only person to use the big spline drive air wrench in a decade. Went on service call where a Cat 347 track hoe had blown a cylinder in boom as operator was crossing a public road. Bucket was buried in pavement of one lane and tracks just getting mostly into other lane when cylinder blew. Had a critical bolt could not get off with anything on his service rig so carried the big spline drive to him. Said had hammered on with his biggest wrench till socket almost turning red from heat. Put on nut, pressed trigger and as started winding him up (6' 6" and 275 lbs) the bolt broke just as he said felt like the wrench was going to break him on operators end. All the big service centers have machines that twist bolts like that now and field mechanics are getting sparse outside the mining community.

While it was a motor vehicle accident that broke my thoracic and cervical spine. Believe most of the lumbar damage is from big wrenches, power augers, professional chain saws and lifetime of hard work. When 12 wanted an Smith M19 and my own reloading/casting equipment so bad could not stand it. That summer got a job as a helper on construction crew at $2.25 per hour as the gopher. Job was to carry nails as needed and boards from saw man to framers.

House first week was on steep lake lot. Started carrying plywood and rest of lumber from closest place could be unloaded from trucks to job site when wasn't doing anything asked. By end of week was on roof nailing down deckimg. Owner had a rule of three hammer swings to drive an 8d nail, tap to set then two swings to finish. Had worked with my dad since elementary school carrying plywood, changing bulbs in signs from end of crane so it was just normal stuff to me even at age 12. First Friday got my paycheck and was $400 gross less taxes. Went to boss and said there was a mistake on my check and showed him. He told me if worked as hard as his men, got paid like his men and experienced framers made $10 per hour.

When in first grade my dad would check me out of school when swapping flourescent tubes in lighted signs. Normally pull face or faces, swap bulbs and replace. Biggest risk was breaking a face so till hit first real growth spurt would send me up the crane and in through service port thats really just to look in and get a visual before decide what needs done. I could squeeze in hole and run around pulling tubes and trading old for new and installing. These days a man would go to jail and kid would become a ward od DFCS if caught sending up a 90 foot crane at all. Much less without harness or any safety equipment and in hot sign as can't tell which bulbs are out if not turned on. Instead no spanking allowed and most kids play video games till graduate high school. Some might get a job at 16 but unless raised on a family farm never see real work anymore. Why large corporations use so many robots, not because cheaper but because young people don't want heavy manual labor jobs anymore.

Only people I can find that will work are over 50 or retired and want some extra income. A 62 year old former auto plant worker will out produce two, sometimes three men in the 20 to 30 year old age group. Have hired 18 men in past 28 months so have a pretty good idea of what young people will and will not do. Especially outside if temperature is over 92 degrees or 36 degrees and misting rain. Have had four tell me to take them back to their vehicles at shop and when tell them truck is not leaving job site till job is done they dropped their tools and started walking. Last summer hired a 35 year old ex Marine with three combat tours. Fourth day told me if I expected him to work as hard as I do would have to pay $25 hour to run a pair of hole diggers. Told him hired at $18 with promise of raise at two weeks if showed motivation. Didn't show up next day even though wife had told him if quit another job was divorcing him. I have given up on all but ex-convicts and real bikers with kids to support.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017, 19:10   #52
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Been in truck most of the day working off property locations and listening to Atlanta talk radio. On average I call in every three or four weeks to at least one of the shows depending on topic. Screener asks me what my question or comment is, places on hold and in three to eight minutes am on air asking question or commenting on topic. Back in 1990's when wrote for local newspaper (remember those) did occasional guest spots on local talk radio morning or afternoon show.

So today all the talk on all the shows has been about the Atlanta Airport losing power for the entire day yesterday. Did not call in on one show but finally after 3:00 pm called in on show that always puts me on. Screener asked what's my queation/comment? First call said "We know both Georgia Power feeds went down to airport together yesterday. Have not heard a single comment about generators. Does Hartsfield International not have backup generators for enough systems to evacuate the facility and run just the basic critical services or do they have them and they failed to come on line?"

Was a pause as knew screener would play my question for host before putting me in line. Matter of seconds line went dead. Assumed my cell lost signal so called back, took about three calls and hit a screener. Had my question written as don't want to fumble or mutter on air and when finished had a shorter pause and dead line. Well dammit, is my cell service that bad or do they not want to talk about generators not working or the total lack of them for elevators, lighting, P.A. system and mini cell repeaters. (Comments were made about many areas of airport not having food, lights, elevators for handicapped nor cell service)

Tried a few times and third time got screener from first call. Rather than read my well prepared and rehearsed question just asked, "if I ask anything about generators are you going to hang up?" No reply, no "don't call back" just dead line again. For some reason they do not want to discuss generators at the BUSIEST airport in the WORLD. I work in the backup power business on occasion, was my primary income from 2009 till 2015 and still do some battery and generator work.

I fly out of Hartsfield all the time and have done maintenance and replacement of batteries for phone system and generators. Have seen many large generators that are not part of the phone system. I have listened to FOX news this mornimg, talk radio yesterday and most of today and not heard the word generator. News reporters have to know they exist thus my calls to the Atlanta talk radio station where they obviously did not want the subject to come up. Only thing I can think of is someone has directed media not to ask that question.

In fact, U.S. media has not covered the issue near as much as international media has. So continuing to watch news, listen to radio and not personally heard a thing on generators at the airport. With elevators down, escalators down, moving sidewalks down, trains down if place had caught on fire how would they evacuate all the people in concorses, terminals, trains and planes? No power for all the mobility devices, emergency lighting, communications to give commands how the he!! do they clear the facility. If power grid attacked during coordinated terrorist attacks how do they move people to safety. Press always flips such an event every which way they can.

Now I am reeling in wonder about what really went down with people trapped in the facility basically overnight without planes movimg. Why in the world does the largest and busiest airport in the world not have enough generators on the ready to light up each concorses and enough elevators to move the handicapped. They couldn't get people off planes due to jet ways not working and was a total fiasco. Still continuing now with some trains not running. Any ATL contractors or people knowledgable about the situation on off grid power at Atlanta Airport? Did we just have a failure of generators or do they not have enough to do job when called on to do what is necessary without power feeds from grid? Have not Google searched yet but been a busy day. Will likely be my night time research while rest of house sleeps.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote