The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old May 28, 2018, 14:02   #1
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

FALaholic #: 75823
G3 kit identification

I bought this kit on AKfiles. Seller wasn’t sure of origin, he thought it might be from Pakistan. Any ideas? The origin isn’t the most important but I like to know where my kits come from and do builds close to what they would have been. I just love to know the “story” behind my surplus.

The kit doesn’t really have any markings. The welds are definitely rougher than German kits but not horrible either. The receiver was cut so no mag well markings are left. The kit is painted a blue gray like HK paint though, which is kinda odd. I thought POF of Pakistan only used black paint.

Barrel is marked IBLT

Bolt carrier is marked with a C ? Maybe

Only marking on the bolt head is a G

Safety sear lever has XX Mark

Last edited by Klaus Von Richter; May 28, 2018 at 16:01.
Klaus Von Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018, 19:34   #2
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
My .02, the lack of markings makes it look paki. The addition of the tungsten weight in the carrier tells me the maker didn't short cut things and pakis tend to follow the prototype pretty well. For what it's worth.
Again, my .02.

Nice kit, regardless.
Old May 28, 2018, 20:01   #3
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
My .02, the lack of markings makes it look paki. The addition of the tungsten weight in the carrier tells me the maker didn't short cut things and pakis tend to follow the prototype pretty well. For what it's worth.
Again, my .02.

Nice kit, regardless.
It very well could be paki. A couple of guys on HKpro think it might be German. Did Pakistan make tungsten bolt carriers? Either way Iím pretty happy with the kit. Itís gonna make a nice build.
Old May 28, 2018, 20:49   #4
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Von Richter View Post
Did Pakistan make tungsten bolt carriers?
That's a good question and one I don't know the answer to. I know for a fact the Greeks did but Pakis? Idk. Again, only opinion, the pakis do well in making german copies, with or without a contract.
I've had German, Paki, Port, and Greek HK type stuff and the Pakis used few markings, right ahead of the Greeks. I've never seen a Greek kit to my knowledge. After some thought, I don't believe I've ever seen a Paki bolt carrier either. Lots of parts and furniture but no BC.
Old May 28, 2018, 21:12   #5
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

Quote:
That's a good question and one I don't know the answer to. I know for a fact the Greeks did but Pakis? Idk. Again, only opinion, the pakis do well in making german copies, with or without a contract.
I've had German, Paki, Port, and Greek HK type stuff and the Pakis used few markings, right ahead of the Greeks. I've never seen a Greek kit to my knowledge. After some thought, I don't believe I've ever seen a Paki bolt carrier either. Lots of parts and furniture but no BC.
I never heard of a POF bolt carrier being tungsten filled but I donít have a lot of experience with POF parts kits either.

Itís an odd bird, thatís for sure. The machining on the bolt and carrier look really nice, like German ones. Then the welds on the trunnion and back plate are harsher unlike german G3s. Also the paint is an exact match to HK blue gray paint.
Old May 29, 2018, 13:38   #6
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Enfield made the MP5, did they ever make a G3?
Old May 29, 2018, 14:48   #7
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

Quote:
Enfield made the MP5, did they ever make a G3?
Yes, Enfield did make a G3. I read on HKpro that the British SAS actually requested the G3 to be make into a G3K.

I doubt itís an Enfield kit. It would be marked top to bottom.
Old May 29, 2018, 19:34   #8
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Von Richter View Post
I doubt itís an Enfield kit. It would be marked top to bottom.

Ah, what was I thinking.
Old September 26, 2018, 19:08   #9
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

Well whoever made this kit, it made a fine G3 build.

Old September 28, 2018, 14:40   #10
seasmoke
Registered

FALaholic #: 71770
Very nice! Range report when time allows please.
seasmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018, 15:45   #11
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

I have already taken to the range to test fire. It ran flawlessly. I just need to sand blast, parkerize and then Duracoat it.
Old October 15, 2018, 09:31   #12
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

Finally Duracoated this build. Itís pretty nice.

Old October 15, 2018, 21:36   #13
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Nice looking rifle, my friend.
Old October 15, 2018, 23:11   #14
HK556WI
Registered

FALaholic #: 63532
The IBL marking is consistent with German made barrel markings. Looks like you may have a German barrel and contract parts.
HK556WI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2018, 02:50   #15
Lee Carpentieri
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4936
G-3

Is their any Alpha codes on the furniture? Normally when a country sign's a contract to produce weapon from the EU, They have a 17 year agreement that dictates that they have to buy so many parts from the host company. Now granted, Most times when HK makes plastic furniture for their weapon for export, They leave out the Alpha codes in the square box's. I've had in the past ALLOT of HK, Paki and Enfield parts that had certain parts from HK Oberndorf, Germany. Most had basic marking's. Your barrel is German, Trigger pack is German along with the Furniture. From the looks of it, I would say it's possibly a GERMAN made export version. Where it went, Who knows for sure.

Back after the first Gulf war HK signed a contract with the UK to take over Enfield to correct the SA 80's and SA 85's which HK found 7 problems with those weapons and corrected them and also made HK weapons at Enfield for the UK MOD and the UK Police forces.Several years later HK's contract was up and turned Enfield back over to the UK Government. I had bought allot of stuff from Dan Shay when he started importing stuff from the EU and had access to the Enfield arsenal. Bought three MP-5 barrels from him, One was German three lug, Threaded 16 flute and the other two were the exact same except they were made at Enfield. He had also imported 10 HK 21E kits for his business partner who called me and asked if I wanted a HK21E kit for 16K. I passed as I was buying other machine guns that year.
Old October 16, 2018, 06:10   #16
Klaus Von Richter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Carpentieri View Post
Is their any Alpha codes on the furniture? Normally when a country sign's a contract to produce weapon from the EU, They have a 17 year agreement that dictates that they have to buy so many parts from the host company. Now granted, Most times when HK makes plastic furniture for their weapon for export, They leave out the Alpha codes in the square box's. I've had in the past ALLOT of HK, Paki and Enfield parts that had certain parts from HK Oberndorf, Germany. Most had basic marking's. Your barrel is German, Trigger pack is German along with the Furniture. From the looks of it, I would say it's possibly a GERMAN made export version. Where it went, Who knows for sure.
No codes on the furniture. Where ever it went , it was rode hard and put up wet. It had a good amount of rust and wear. I think it was definitely a German export rifle. Whether it was exported as a complete rifle or a parts kit to be built, I donít know.
Old October 17, 2018, 14:09   #17
Bones2586
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76766
Nice looking build indeed! Well done sir, you've got a beauty there, and great conversation starters regarding the "unknown" history.
Bones2586 is online now   Reply With Quote