The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The HK Files

Notices

Old September 17, 2018, 18:55   #1
adam762
Registered

FALaholic #: 11334
Paddle mag release- school me

So a friend and I were talking about the paddle mag release. He thinks he's seen some in CETME kits. Was this a conversion ever done on the Spanish rifles? What HK rifles is it correct for? When did this upgrade come about? I'm sure it is preferable to the standard CETME release but if it's not correct I don't think I'm going to do one on mine.
Old September 17, 2018, 20:04   #2
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam762 View Post
So a friend and I were talking about the paddle mag release. He thinks he's seen some in CETME kits. Was this a conversion ever done on the Spanish rifles? What HK rifles is it correct for? When did this upgrade come about? I'm sure it is preferable to the standard CETME release but if it's not correct I don't think I'm going to do one on mine.
I'm not exactly sure what the question is...

The standard Spanish CETME and the German G3 both had paddles...

The 'commercial' versions for the US had the changes...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2018, 20:11   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
the paddle was removed because it shared an axle pin with the full auto lower. Although on the Modelo C and the early Santa Fe's they kept the front pushpin but re-positioned it.

The paddle is vastly superior to the push button in ergonomics. I highly recommend it. But I'm not accepting any new HK work right now, and Jayson is backlogged too, and RDTS sucks*, so I really can't think of anyone.

*I actually have to thank that piece of shit Ralph for f-cking me over enough times that I was forced to learn to do it myself (correctly) instead of subbing it out to him to screw up.

Last edited by gunplumber; September 18, 2018 at 11:39. Reason: spelling, although in my case, "ego-nomics" applies as well.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2018, 20:22   #4
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
I'm not exactly sure what the question is...

The standard Spanish CETME and the German G3 both had paddles...

The 'commercial' versions for the US were neutered to remove the front push pin and the paddle went with it.

Forrest
FIFY.
Old September 18, 2018, 01:01   #5
21HK
Registered

FALaholic #: 52556
The paddle mag release was introduced in 1958 on the CETME model B. (middle)

21HK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 11:34   #6
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
The paddle is vastly superior to the push button in egonomics. I highly recommend it. But I'm not accepting any new HK work right now, and Jayson is backlogged too, and RDTS sucks*, so I really can't think of anyone.

*I actually have to thank that piece of shit Ralph for f-cking me over enough times that I was forced to learn to do it myself (correctly) instead of subbing it out to him to screw up.
I was thinking about having him replace a triple tree with a slightly bent sight hood but decided against it based on cost. Good thing I did, as you are not the only one I've heard speak negatively of RDTS.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 11:39   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I was thinking about having him replace a triple tree with a slightly bent sight hood but decided against it based on cost. Good thing I did, as you are not the only one I've heard speak negatively of RDTS.
The metal is rather soft, like L1A1 sight wings, and I have a tapered mandrel for reshaping them. I'd try that before replacing it entirely.
Old September 18, 2018, 16:09   #8
adam762
Registered

It seems I really need to get my head wrapped around the clip and pin process then, as there is a lot going on in that area with mag releases, shelves, ect. I need to see if I can borrow a commercial rifle from someone locally so I can get it in my hands to study.

The illustrations and the information help, thank you all. RTG sells all these fixtures and I've spent some coin there, I think a call in that direction may help me a bunch too.
Old September 18, 2018, 19:06   #9
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam762 View Post
It seems I really need to get my head wrapped around the clip and pin process then, as there is a lot going on in that area with mag releases, shelves, ect. I need to see if I can borrow a commercial rifle from someone locally so I can get it in my hands to study.

The illustrations and the information help, thank you all. RTG sells all these fixtures and I've spent some coin there, I think a call in that direction may help me a bunch too.
While you may be the type that needs "hands on" to understand something (I've no idea, just making a point) all of the information you need to learn about the shelf location, push pin bushing location, grip pack and grip frame modification, clip and pin, and the procedures to accomplish all of them is widely available on the internet. Even precise locations measurements are out there. HKPro.com and Google are your friend.
There's even copious information on the legalities of such.
Old September 18, 2018, 20:14   #10
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
IMHO, the paddle release is key for any caliber of these rifles.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2018, 20:16   #11
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Heck, any rifle with a cam-lock magazine, regardless of caliber. It turns a two-handed operation into a one-handed operation.

Heck, I wish the AR and SCAR had a paddle instead of being a push lock. One handed removal AND RETENTION of magazine. But then, I subscribe to the guerilla fighter philosophy that I don't have a mag is not an expendable item. To abandon out of necessity, sure. But not to practice discarding it, as some of these silly nincompoops do today in their "tactical" training.
Old September 18, 2018, 20:29   #12
adam762
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
While you may be the type that needs "hands on" to understand something (I've no idea, just making a point) all of the information you need to learn about the shelf location, push pin bushing location, grip pack and grip frame modification, clip and pin, and the procedures to accomplish all of them is widely available on the internet. Even precise locations measurements are out there. HKPro.com and Google are your friend.
There's even copious information on the legalities of such.
I've been into a bit. I recognize the value of the Internet as a reference it's just I am a homebody and don't get off this forum at all really. In this case I am going to need to. It will all really start to come together when I start the first build I suspect. Meanwhile I will continue to watch videos and may even branch out to other forums. (shudder)
Old September 18, 2018, 23:08   #13
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
Check with Big50...
Old September 21, 2018, 13:12   #14
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
The metal is rather soft, like L1A1 sight wings, and I have a tapered mandrel for reshaping them. I'd try that before replacing it entirely.
That's good to know. The deformation is slight enough that it doesn't disturb the sight picture or annoy the crap out of me. Cheers.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is offline   Reply With Quote