Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old December 30, 2017, 11:01   #1
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
Recomendations on cold weather gloves?

The local temps are hitting around zero, so it's a good time to test the cold weather gear. I have my bases covered with the exception of useable gloves, the 3 pair I have picked up leave me with frozen fingers after 10 minutes of shoveling snow and I feel kind of stupid with mittens on when it's only 5 degrees. The mil surplus intermediate cold glove were the worst, but the Columbias and the Marmot aren't far behind. Anyone have any suggestions?

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 11:21   #2
erhauser
Registered

FALaholic #: 15481
First put on a hat. Then put on a warmer coat. Follow with insulated bib overalls.
The reason is that for some reason your body thinks it is very important to keep blood flowing to your brain so when you are loosing more heat than you produce it cuts blood flow to your hands and feet.

The next problem is that thin things, like fingers, have much more surface area than thick things like your arm and thus loose more heat. The same thing still happens with gloves. Use mittens. If you have to have the dexterity of gloves for doing things like feeding horses, put on knit wool gloves then slip chopper mittens over them whenever possible. In moderate cold I go with uninsulated choppers for real cold (<-20F) I use insulated choppers.
Old December 30, 2017, 11:25   #3
Tuhlmann
THAT guy
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
Outdoor Research has gloves for lots of applications, but they have several options for mountaineering which will be expensive but worth it. Using a liner and shell 2-glove system has worked well for me when temps drop to single digits or below. I wear a close-fitting merino wool/lycra liner under a membraned/breatheable shell. As conditions change you can wear either/or piece independently. Iíll also say that if you can deal with the reduction in dexterity, mittens are substantially warmer than gloves.

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 12:29   #4
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
One of the gloves I like is these $8 "Artic Guard" gloves. You can find them on Amazon. They have a grippy rubberized hand and a regular knitted glove on the back of the hand. You don't get great dexterity but I find them very useful for shoveling, snow blowing and plowing as I have to plow on a open Kubota RTV.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 16:22   #5
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
There's about 90 degrees of difference between your finger temp and 5 degrees outside. Look at your boots.
Do they have separate toe compartments? If the answer is no, quit being a diva and wear the mittens. Gloves trade dexterity for warmth. The colder it gets, the worse gloves suck. You dont need the dexterity gloves provide to effectively run a shovel. You're only being stupid if you're cold.

Now that I've covered that, nearly any glove will be warm enough if you get a pair of silk liners for them. Those things are fugking magic.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 17:36   #6
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Move below I10 problem solved. I don't see how you guys do it. I'm a first class wuss with cold weather

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 19:00   #7
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Outdoor Research Pro Mod. Make sure you get the shell and liner. Mil spec $330 new. canít buy commercially; I canít even get them and Iím a OR Pro. but used on eBay for $25 (large only other sizes will run $50 or more) Just got a set today.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 20:06   #8
Jon Frum
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 8473
Stick a hot hands heater in there $5/ 10 at the Squallid Mart.

Detain and Deport!
Jon Frum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 21:00   #9
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I don't see how you guys do it. I'm a first class wuss with cold weather
We are all just that much tougher than you...
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2017, 22:55   #10
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfranz View Post
We are all just that much tougher than you...
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 08:33   #11
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Thanks guys, I've been stuck " back in the day" with the old wool inserts with leather work gloves since the 80's. Must have gotten old and soft with the last few warm winters, because this is the first year I've ever had problems.

Old December 31, 2017, 09:22   #12
Uncle Mick
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 72942
Mittens.
[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Uncle Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 09:43   #13
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
damn Mick, my nuts pulled up so tight when I saw that .........

....... theres a new lump in my throat
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 11:24   #14
KoKodog
Registered

hand warmers can do wonders when properly placed

inside of thigh will help warm blood flowing thru femoral artery keeping legs, feet and toes warmer

inside of arm (bicep) will help warm blood flowing thru brachial artery keeping arms, hands and fingers warmer

the trick is to keep warm blood flowing to prevent capillaries from constricting, slowing/shutting down blood flow

ideally you would sew a pocket on your long johns inside leg & inside arm (outside of garment) to slide the hand warmer into to keep it in place

on average as we age reduced circulation/blood flow is a fact of life

FREEZE-OUT Inner Glove Liners is what my one buddy starts with to ride in cold weather

then a outer glove to protect more

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/freez...r-glove-liners
Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old December 31, 2017, 13:14   #15
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
Check your blood sugar.
Illurian00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 13:19   #16
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Spend Money!

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post...r-buyers-guide

http://www.staywarmed.com

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017, 15:23   #17
KoKodog
Registered

this will warm you up........ 45K BTU's of radiant heat, shovel a few minutes, then warm your hands, shovel a few minutes, then warm your hands, shovel a few minutes, then warm your hands, shovel a few minutes, then warm your hands,

Teddy Roosvelt

Winston Churchill
Old January 01, 2018, 01:27   #18
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

-10 this morning when I shoveled, I dug out the surplus ecws gear and was sweating by the time I was done.The gloves gave me no problems today, guess the trick was keeping my core temp up.
I swear I'm not retarded guys, the VA,their coma and treatment has made me forget more than you would ever believe. It scares the hell out of me some days.

Old January 01, 2018, 13:39   #19
AFeod
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 75606
Kinco

Iím a big fan of kinco brand for cold weather. The ax men mittens are nice once you accept wearing mittens. Then theyíve got ski patrol type gloves at a reasonable price. I own a few different pair and buy them for my crew as well. Wax them up w/ some obenoffs beeswax and polpropolis and youíre good to go
Old January 01, 2018, 15:52   #20
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Out of the three or four pair of gloves I have the warmest is the pair made from alpaca. They are not durable enough, however, to use as work gloves, and in frigid temps they won't keep your finger tips warm on a deer stand for more than an hour or two but they are the warmest I own. The other morning I finally remembered I had two boxes of chemical hand warmers, so I used two, one on the back of each hand inside the glove to keep the blood warm flowing to my fingers. Worked.
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2018, 14:44   #21
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
I'm a Floridian living in Michigan and cold hands and feet have been the bane of my hunting time. I cannot keep them warm. I gave up and got mittens a few years back and love them. I bought some military surplus trigger finger mittens and use them down to about 10įF. Under that, if I'm out for long (not snowblowing but hunting or playing with the kids), I have some milsurp flyer's mittens with an extra wool mitten inside for 3 layers that does the trick. For in and out type trips, I have some glo-mittens - fingerless gloves with a mitten flap that flips over to cover the fingers from Cabelas. Been using them for years. They are pretty good for cold but not frigid temps. I use them when hunting a lot, too, as they free the fingers up for the crossbow or rifle trigger when the time comes.

For my feet, I have good boots with Thinsulate and wear two pairs of socks, one silk or polyester and a good merino wool pair. Good wool is awesome. I also use polypro undergarments as a base layer to keep my core and limbs warm.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018, 14:01   #22
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
+1 for the Obenauf's for leather gloves and everything else.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018, 15:20   #23
Herr Walther
Registered

FALaholic #: 11681
I spend a lot of time with my dog outside no matter the temp. Much of the time I am stationary while she is chasing the Kong around, or we will walk for 30-40 minutes, or a combination of both.

I start with thermal underwear, and then fleece lined sweats on the bottom, and BDU's over that. The top starts with a t-shirt, thermal underwear, flannel shirt, and then a wool sweater.

A car-coat length down coat with a down tunnel hood, fur ruff (and yes they do help keep your face warm in a wind), a fleece face mask/skull type cap(Carhart), and then a watch cap on top of that with the hood up and the coat zipped to the nose.

For the feet, wool socks and insulated Meindl boots. Gloves are nothing special, just leather gloves with a thermal lining. On the coldest days with wind I have a waterproof/windproof pair of ski gloves.

That getup is good down to zero with a brisk wind chill staying stationary or with minimal movement. Probably be good to wear if I was still a hunter. It starts getting warmer when walking so I unzip the coat a bit and lose the second cap, but keep the hood on.

The dog has her own fur coat.