The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old January 03, 2018, 16:50   #1
ncreptile
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 39586
So.. Who actually makes decent receivers?

Just picked up an Aussie l1a1 on the trader and now I need a receiver. Doing research it seems DSA now sucks, but also COONAN now sucks. I do not really want to put a metric receiver on an inch gun. And I know how people look down on century receivers.

Who is currently making receivers that do not cost an arm and a leg($600+) that would be in the Aussie pattern?

I did a search on google before posting this and found only 10+ year old threads.
ncreptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 16:56   #2
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
No body.
For Aussie you need to hunt down an older DSA, but it probably wont be under $600.
As far as I'm aware, there are no current production receivers with a good quality track record.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 17:11   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Enterprise ABNI? None are going to be cheap. You can roll the dice with a DSA. Send it back if it doesn't work

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 18:34   #4
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I've wondered for a while, how's it so damn hard to make a quality receiver?

These guns have been around for almost 70 years so I'm not seeing what the issue is.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 19:30   #5
ActionYobbo
Registered

FALaholic #: 32542
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I've wondered for a while, how's it so damn hard to make a quality receiver?

These guns have been around for almost 70 years so I'm not seeing what the issue is.
1 million machining steps to start with + its not a easy one to make. Level of difficulty is right at level 10. Where an M14 would be level 6 and a rem 700 would be level 1 and an ar-15 would be level 0.6 . The amount of machining and cost of machines/tooling makes it not worth the effort for for the few sales. Add to all the other hassles the heat treating that took FN a few years to get right on production guns
Old January 03, 2018, 19:36   #6
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionYobbo View Post
1 million machining steps to start with + its not a easy one to make. Level of difficulty is right at level 10. Where an M14 would be level 6 and a rem 700 would be level 1 and an ar-15 would be level 0.6 . The amount of machining and cost of machines/tooling makes it not worth the effort for for the few sales. Add to all the other hassles the heat treating that took FN a few years to get right on production guns
Ok, so what is DSAs excuse
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 20:07   #7
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
Danus ex had three in the MP, two DSA and one Coonan.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 20:15   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

You'll find what you want when you get ready to either lower your expectations or save up a few more bux.

Old January 03, 2018, 23:45   #9
hk22045
Registered

FALaholic #: 75293
Getting depressing

I have been reading the files for a few years now hopeing to get some info on a Israeli HB kit i have been holding for 20 years, Is there any way to build up one of these kits without spending a fortune (yes it big, heavy and clunky but still) PS my kits came with factory barrels so thats one less cost Any thoughts would be appreciated Graywolf
hk22045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 03, 2018, 23:53   #10
Trypcil
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
hk22045

Hold out for an Imbel receiver, they come up - build it yourself or send it off to one of the reputable builders here - cost will with tools be about the same as getting it built - get it built! Good luck and do it! Imbel receiver $600+, build perhaps $350+!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The point of the journey, is not to arrive..." Hexabuzz.
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 00:21   #11
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Sadly it's not worth it to tie up a CNC machine to make an FAL receiver. Can make far more money doing other things on it.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2018, 09:55   #12
ncreptile
Registered
Contributor

So were all the Coonan l1a1 receivers bad? I'm eyeballing the one in the trader due to the price but it seems everyones avoiding it and after reading horror stories I gotta admit I'm shying away. I'd much rather have one with a near correct lightening cut than an imbel.
Old January 04, 2018, 13:53   #13
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
So were all the Coonan l1a1 receivers bad? I'm eyeballing the one in the trader due to the price but it seems everyones avoiding it and after reading horror stories I gotta admit I'm shying away. I'd much rather have one with a near correct lightening cut than an imbel.
I built on one trouble free. Take it with a grain of salt though, its just a sample of one. I've read the horror stories as well.
Actually there is one thing Im keeping an eye on, after 400 rounds the ejector has a rounded indent where the empty case impacts. Not a receiver issue, an e-block issue as the coonan is a single part, not a design I care for.
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 02:25   #14
hk22045
Registered

FALaholic #: 75293
Worth doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypcil View Post
Hold out for an Imbel receiver, they come up - build it yourself or send it off to one of the reputable builders here - cost will with tools be about the same as getting it built - get it built! Good luck and do it! Imbel receiver $600+, build perhaps $350+!
After spending 600 for a Imbal (assuming i can even get one , than 350 to assemble and 150 to 200 to finish the metal and wood would i have way more into it than it is worth even if i wanted to sell it someday or is this type of a build really a money pit? Appreciate anyones opinions Graywolf
hk22045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 04:18   #15
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
You won't get any more than the parts are worth when you sell it. The build is down the drain. Weird I know, but it's the way it is with FAL's.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 08:46   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk22045 View Post
After spending 600 for a Imbal (assuming i can even get one , than 350 to assemble and 150 to 200 to finish the metal and wood would i have way more into it than it is worth even if i wanted to sell it someday or is this type of a build really a money pit? Appreciate anyones opinions Graywolf
That's the rub. Most of us here don't have to pay the $350 for assembly and still have more into these rifles than they are worth. It's the love not the ROI.

Old January 05, 2018, 11:58   #17
ncreptile
Registered
Contributor

Thanks for the wealth of information. I may try to grab that Coonan from Dan in the trader. I'd much rather have an inch on an inch gun as I already have an l1a1 with an imbel metric.
Old January 05, 2018, 12:33   #18
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
There were some Imbels that were inch; as in they took inch mags. I don't know if they came that way from Imbel or if someone converted them. I have one on my Ausie and I love it. I would not trade it for a DSA, Coonan, or Entreprise receiver. Imbel is a licensed built in spec receiver. It does not have the correct lightening cuts for an inch rifle but that is purely cosmetic and insignificant in my biased opinion.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2018, 16:03   #19
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
There were some Imbels that were inch; as in they took inch mags. I don't know if they came that way from Imbel or if someone converted them. I have one on my Ausie and I love it. I would not trade it for a DSA, Coonan, or Entreprise receiver. Imbel is a licensed built in spec receiver. It does not have the correct lightening cuts for an inch rifle but that is purely cosmetic and insignificant in my biased opinion.
I too have an IMBEL inch receiver, looks like a metric type 3 on the outside, but all inch [dust cover, charging handle cut, L1A1 magazine] where it counts. It's forged and made extremely well. If you can find one, you can't go wrong building on an IMBEL inch receiver.
Old January 06, 2018, 22:22   #20
mace2364
Registered

FALaholic #: 20575
Hmm. Well this has been depressingly informative. I have a really nice Aussie kit I happened into a couple of years ago. I guess it's either build on a metric or not at all unless I get lucky.

Is there anyone even producing a not-so-good inch receiver at this point?
Old January 18, 2018, 01:15   #21
baker72
Registered

FALaholic #: 28156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
Thanks for the wealth of information. I may try to grab that Coonan from Dan in the trader. I'd much rather have an inch on an inch gun as I already have an l1a1 with an imbel metric.
Aw mate If I were you , I would put a want to buy ad In the market place for a Enterprise sporter Abni . Almost everyone on this board are hoarders and are sitting on little piles of treasure . Iíve purchased A L1A1A Lithgow cross flag marked receiver just by asking also a few older dsa and four enterprise receivers , yep your going to pay but you will get tip top stuff and as the L1A1 market is still down I think what you pay today for a quality receiver will be worth far more down the road plus the pleasure of not settling for non Aussie cut receiver and shooting your Aussie rifle

Cheers and good luck
baker72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018, 09:49   #22
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionYobbo View Post
Yet a small dinky factory manned by illiterate poop-flinging monkeys in a third world shithole seems to make them without QC issues using only rocks and bones as tools.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018, 09:50   #23
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
No.

DSA had a run last summer, FUBAR'd a large majority of them according to some. No news of any future runs.
You can try to contact coonan and see if they are willing to squeeze you in their last L1A1 run.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2018, 11:12   #24
ActionYobbo
Registered

FALaholic #: 32542
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Yet a small dinky factory manned by illiterate poop-flinging monkeys in a third world shithole seems to make them without QC issues using only rocks and bones as tools.
You got my attention. Can you provide an example. I would really like to see a khyber FAL.
Old January 19, 2018, 08:17   #25
garandguy10
Registered

FALaholic #: 10840
Quote:
Coonan stopped taking orders Dec 31. They are done.

Well, that is one less thing GP will bitch about.....
garandguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2018, 08:57   #26
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post
Well, that is one less thing GP will bitch about.....
I have another customer with one of Coonan's oversize locking shoulder holes. Coonan Inc refused to replace it.

So I will make another video. And it will go all over Youtube and Facebook, and here. And then Greg White (CEO of Coonan, Inc.,) will get butthurt that his other sales are suffering when people learn that Coonan Inc., sells defective crap - and has a "f-ck you" warranty. And then he'll send me another letter saying they don't know what I'm talking about, never heard there was a problem, and of course they'll fix it.

And then we'll repeat the whole thing in another couple months.

Because either Greg is stupid, and can't do math. Or I am I.

I'm not a math wiz, but I did take a class in financial and managerial accounting in college, and I do my own taxes. Whether you put a dollar into advertising or into customer service, or promotions, or COGS, it's still an expense that trickles down to the same line 31 on Schedule C.

So whether Coonan scraps and replaces their defective receiver at a imagined cost of $200 (and keeps a loyal customer they already have), or spends $200 in marketing to replace the loyal customer they've lost forever; the cost is the same.

Except it isn't. Because they are also losing customers they don't know about. As of today, I only have 542 followers on my Youtube Channel, and 1633 on the ARS Facebook page, but these are people who BUY. And there are quite a few people here on FalFiles who take my detailed analysis of products seriously.

So when I post a video like this one, even after Greg is shamed into doing the right thing, do you think it is a net gain or a net loss for Coonan Inc.? I think its an obvious net loss. So why would someone - just a couple months after going though this, again tell their customer "tough shit" over an oversize locking shoulder hole?

The only thing I can think of, is that it is a character issue. Some people have "getting over" so deeply ingrained in their character, that they won't do the right thing even when the right thing is less expensive than cheating their customers with defective products. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Old January 19, 2018, 13:01   #27
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Good video, Mark. Very informative. Will you make a similar one for DSA? METRIC? Inch?
I already made videos on DSA's mag fit issues - FAL & L1A1 part 1 & 2.

The DSA locking shoulder problem is in reviews section using photos.