The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The M1 / M14 Files

Notices

Old November 12, 2017, 15:29   #1
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Value of ban era M1a Super Match?

What's a fair price range for an M1a Supermatch in the 116XXX range, with heavy pillar bedded walnut stock, rear lugged receiver? Appears to be all SA USGI parts except the trigger housing and the barrel, which looks to be the heavy Douglas carbon steel option. Flashider is GI but lug removed as Springfield was doing by then. Gun is dry and free of lube and appears to factory test fired only. No box.
Old November 13, 2017, 10:44   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
We have an older mostly all milsurp parts Super Match on LGS rack with Douglas stainless barrel, preban lightly shott but fair amount of wear from handling. Think was used for hunting but bore and chamber appears perfect. No box, 1 ten round and 1 twenty round mag, no glass or mount. $1,800 will get it out the door. Have an almost new 16" Scout with folding stock and all the tacticool bling could want with Vortex Viper 4-16x in nice mount with 3 twenty round mags for $1,800 out the door. $1,200 gets a standard out the door if that helps you any. Always looking for good deal in another Super Match.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 17:42   #3
Impala_Guy
Registered

Thanks...I figure $2200 or so, they sold for that back in the 1990s, and it is the desireable rear lugged receiver.
Old November 13, 2017, 20:14   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
When Bush 1 sold us down the river the only rifles I doubled down on were M1a's even though shaving the bayonet lug was about the only change. I wanted enough in proper trim to not have to worry about future amendments making more changes till they became butt ugly or unavailable. Had a shop that even with the ban signed and prices spiking sold me four rifles at their pre panic price out the door. Got a Basic, Standard, National and Super in one buy and think the guy wanted to make someone willing to drop that kind of bank on a single purchase as a customer.

Believe it was the only time wife ever went with me to pick up guns and think she tagged along so I wouldn't go totally crazy as was suprised at what four rifles cost. He sold me six spare 20 round mags per rifle and four 1,200 round cases of ammo all at preban/pre-panic prices and called it a day. Already had one of each and wanted doubles, now that the Scout is available in 18" version considering adding one or two. Likely a black composite and a walnut stock version. Have 16" 308 battle rifles already do not care for anymore and why never bought a 16" scout. The muzzle blast is horrible and amazes me how much more tolerable an extra two inches of barrel make a big rifle.

The Super Match at LGS is a consignment rifle and plan to let it sit a while then make owner an offer if doesn't sell in a couple months or so. Have a custom turn bolt by a good smith but doesn't have a big time nationally recognized name. Have four or five of his custom builds and all are near perfect and he retired in January so will be no more. This rifle has been on shelf for over 18 months and owner won't even talk abut an offer. Would think with it sitting almost two years, being listed on Gunbroker three times and not a single nibble he would be negotiable by now. I like to lurk and when a consignment customer comes in the third or fourth time and seems disappointed gun has not sold hit them with "what would you take in cash right now?" and see if need to sell or wanting top dollar.

Where are you in South Carolina? Wife is from Sumpter and went to USC. Most of her family and old friends are in Columbia, Greenville and Spartanburg. Sure we will be over that way over the holidays and might be interested in taking a look with cash in pocket if floated my boat.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 21:08   #5
Impala_Guy
Registered

I actually got it in a trade and wondered if I did OK. I did apparently. I may sell it but the more I realize all the goodies and hand work it has over my standard M1A I may put a scope mount on it and see how it does with my Leupold Mk 4 E/RT (Which I basically got for next to nothing after I sold the rifle it was on for almost double what I paid for it). If I do sell it, out of state is FFL transfer only.
Old November 13, 2017, 21:13   #6
maxaks
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76002
maxaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2017, 21:33   #7
Impala_Guy
Registered

Old November 14, 2017, 19:23   #8
maxaks
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76002
maxaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 07:52   #9
HD-Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 68541
Super match

Rear lugged rifles do bring a larger price for those that need quarter-minute accuracy. $2200 would be a good price to the right guy, but would need shots/pics of the bbl, bolt, op rod, firing mech markings. Do you have the ability of gauging the throat and muzzle wear? This is also a selling point. A shot-out bbl can mean a price drop of $5-600.
HD-Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017, 09:14   #10
Impala_Guy
Registered

I don't see markings on the barrel under the op rod but I'm not sure why a Douglas barrel would have any in the first place and it is a heavy contour. The only other commercial parts appear to be the trigger housing and the stock. The FH is clearly a Clintonized USGI forged piece, the slots on the commercial ones are easy to identify. I dont want to bang the action out of the stock but I am pretty sure the op rod is a reparkerized GI one as the commercial SA rods have pretty distinct contours (usually pretty sharp edges too) and were not really in use a the time the rifle was made as far as I can recall. I dont have 7.62 gauges but you can clearly see from the op rod channel and bolt lugs and channel that the rifle has never been greased and only been shot a few times, probably only its factory test firing. I'm pretty sure Springfield test fired these for accuracy as well as function but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; November 17, 2017 at 09:40.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote