The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old April 21, 2018, 13:54   #1
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Remington "milspec" 5r stainless.

Found an older one without the threaded muzzle for sale. Is this a good starter rifle for precision rifle shooting? According to the serial number it's on the trigger recall list (which supposedly encompasses millions of model 700s). Do I really have to worry about this?

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 21, 2018 at 22:08.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018, 16:26   #2
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
What kind of precision rifle shooting? Formal or informal? What are the ranges? If it's a formal match, do you just want to shoot them to learn stuff or do you want to win?

I'll tell you right now the Remington 700 action is an excellent action. Sure, there'll be a bunch of know-it-alls along shortly babbling bullshit about quality control. None of it is true

The 'milspec' is a useless word. Stop using it

The Remington barrel is poorly chambered. The barrel cannot preform with a bad chamber regardless of the lands

Dump the junk trigger and get a Timney. The 510 will be good enough but the Calvin Elite will be better. A straight trigger will be better than the curved.

Short answer, yes the rifle will be a good starter rifle for precision shooting if you get the Timney Calvin Elite.

I'm not guessing, I have a custom rifle shop and do this kind of work.
Old April 21, 2018, 17:51   #3
Impala_Guy
Registered

I'm curious about the chamber thing. Are all remington target / tactical rifles cut with poorly sized chambers? Can the barrel be set back slightly and the chamber re cut if I want to put that money into it later, or is it just cheaper to put a new barrel on it?

I was at a shoot last week. At 500 yards I could ring the 20in gong with my SCAR17 pretty regularly. The 10 in gong I could only hit occasionally. Which is more than I expected from a 16in barreled carbine but my Elcan 4x really impressed and did right for me. One guy there had a Ruger Precision rifle with a Vortex who could hit the 10in gong every time. The guy who won the match had a custom PR build and hit golf balls off of tees at 100,200,300, and 400 yards. And only missed the 500 yard one because of the wind changes. I dont expect to beat him but I do want to run with the guy who had the Ruger. He hit the 300 yr golf ball.(hitting the tee was still considered a hit)

They had 6.5s. It's hard to teach an old dawg new tricks so I stuck with 308. I am a pretty competent handloader and can wring the most out of the cartridge.

Looking for a ffp scope now. I can see this being an expensive bug.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 21, 2018 at 18:04.
Old April 21, 2018, 18:20   #4
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
It's a great starter rifle. You'll end up putting a real barrel on it later anyway. the trigger isn't an issue eitehr if you put a real trigger on it
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018, 20:32   #5
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
I've had a 5R, 308 for over 5 years and a 5R 223 for less than 1.

Both have Timney Calvin Elite triggers which are excellent and 5-20x50 Trijicon Accupoints which I also like and mounted on LaRue rails with TPS/TSR rings.

I have shot the 308 numerous times out to 1000 yards and achieving ~MOA accuracy...in other words 10 inch groups and some 12 inch groups.

I developed a 175 grain long range load when I ran out of LC M118 LR, using a chronograph and it stays supersonic, just over 1200 fps at the target, measured electronically.

I'm not competing, just having fun and have been shooting at long range for only a few years, now.

I'll work up a good load for the 223 this year out to 550 yards with it and hope to ring some steel!

Good luck with your long range journey, whatever it may be. My friend shoots PRS and loves it.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018, 20:39   #6
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
That guy that won the match is probably the best shooter I have ever seen. And I know many high master high-power and long range Palma shooters, F class shooters etc. He has won some major national and international sniper and tactical competitions, and is just incredible to watch.

You should come shoot the 300 yard F class matches at the Mid Carolina GUN club North of Orangeburg. They used to have it the last Sunday of the month, but this year they did something stupid and alternate every other month, and shoot some stupid rimfire competition the other month.

And you better get your reloading stuff out to feed that new beastie, match factory ammo run a pretty penny these days.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018, 21:28   #7
Impala_Guy
Registered

Next match will be $75 entry fee. $50 for the match and $25 per man to pay him not to show up.

Opinions wanted for best accuracy:

Picatinny rail with separate rings, or one piece base with integral rings:

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 21, 2018 at 22:22.
Old April 22, 2018, 08:54   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have had rear of many 700 barrels cut just enough for smith to recharger properly, recrown and hand lap lugs. All shot better, some as well as a custom barrel, others not so great. Have half a dozen with factory barrels that are tack drivers and several that after trying ended up buying aN aftermarket barrel but at least got to experiment and learn.

The factory trigger can be improved greatly but if paying a smith to do that would rather throw that money toward a custom aftermarket trigger. Timney is the go to but do have to be serviced if run enough rounds to require occasional rebarrels as have some wear parts in them. Usually only an issue for the Service Rifle crowd shooting lots of rounds through AR's.

Bedding, proper floating of barrel, blueprint in action and every trick done adds up to improved accuracy. Getting your barrels harmonics can change a pro shooting rifle into a good shooting one w I th the correct brake but may have to try more than one to find it. My smith makes his own proprietary brakes and uses aftermarket. Many of my rifles he swapped brakes for or five times from stock on his bench before found the right one for the barrel and then sometimes modified it. Precision rifle shooting can be done with an out of box rifle or several thousand in parts/labor to factory rifle. Lately Tikka's have been impressing me.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2018, 09:09   #9
Impala_Guy
Registered

I'm curious about action blueprinting. Are factory actions really not manufactured with bolt faces, lugs and barrel shoulder faces cut perpendicular to the centerline of the receiver? Are their machines worn out or something?

I get the deleterious effect of an oversize chamber or crappy throat, but does this really help or is it more of a shooters superstition?
Old April 22, 2018, 17:19   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

It's the chase to remove every thousanth of slop out of the system as possible. If run a factory 700 bolt next to one that's been blueprinted can feel how both locking lugs engage with same amount of force and all is buttery smooth. Have had 1.5 MOA rifles worked over using all their factory parts, just completely blown apart, everything hand fitted by an artist, not a guy on assembly line and come back a 3/4 MOA rifle. Think about trigger pull dropping in half, all the tolerances as precisely fitted as possibe and not bind up, chamber cut to match tolerance, barrel crowned at best point in rifling, harmonics tuned with a brake adjustment and it all perfectly bedded in the stock.

Have a Bowning A Bolt wirh Boss system doubt a Browning employee could tell was not factory built from looking at it but it will run five rounds in same hole at 100 yards if shooter does his job. Have Remington 700 in 7mm Mag totally rebuilt with only change being a brake added which will hold true for slaying deer out to 700 yards and a 25-06 that is all factory parts only way to tell visually it's been worked on is the crown that shoots 1/2 MOA at 100 and holds it to 250. Yes, having a precision smith with year waiting list spend a week hand fitting every piece of the rifle makes a difference. Have them use a Lilja, Shilen, Douglas or similar barrel while fitting it all and then the magic really begins.

If hand built guns were not that much better there would not be people all over the world making a good living do it as a trade. My rifle smith and pistol smith, both who had been building me guns over 30 years retired last year and am in a quandary over who to replace them with. Both were nationally and internationally known and within an hours drive from the house. Have to really have confidence in your smith and ability to eyeball them when discuss goals is a nice option.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old April 22, 2018, 19:48   #11
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The Remington 700 action is a great action and Remington does a great job of building them. But it has always been a hunting rifle.

To compete is wholly another category when it comes to an action
Consider for a moment building a 4x4 for serious off road work. You'll need lockers but what kind? Depends on what the 4x4 will be doing. Is it mud, rocks or something else. Do you need to upgrade the axles, transmission, tires from stock? Yes you do but what upgrades? Depends on what your needs are.

It's the same thing with building a custom rifle and it's why we true actions, use different bolt, trigger, etc....
Old April 22, 2018, 21:14   #12
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
From what I have learned is that the ďmilspecĒ 5R M700 are/were built to the same standard as that of the M24 that was used by the Army for decades.

The M24 I was issued had many thousands of rounds put through it before I go it. I put over 5k per year through it each of the four years I had it. It still shot sub MOA groups when I did my part. If it is built anywhere close to what my M24 was then it will last you a lifetime.

My M24 ran Leupold Mark 4 rings and base. However, it you are playing long range target shooting you shoot look at a 20 MOA base so you donít run out of elevation in your scope.

Some low end M700 donít get blueprinted, but most of their high end rifles come blueprinted.

While I didnít think the trigger on my M24 was horrible it wasnít as good as it could have been. You canít go to wrong with a good Timney trigger.

Good luck
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 05:43   #13
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

The 'milspec' doesn't mean anything as far as quality. The barrel profile may be similar to what the military used at some point.

There are no spec differences between higher end and lower end 700 actions. Different finishes, yes. Specs, no.

There is no blueprinting on higher end Remington actions. There is no blueprinting on any action. Blueprinting is a term we use for the process of truing an action. We use a product called Dykem and usually int the color blue. It also comes in red, yellow and probably a few other colors.

A trued action and fitted bolt, a carefully cut chamber and a bedded barreled action is the difference between a custom rifle and a factory one.
Old April 23, 2018, 05:44   #14
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
From what I have learned is that the “milspec” 5R M700 are/were built to the same standard as that of the M24 that was used by the Army for decades.

The M24 I was issued had many thousands of rounds put through it before I go it. I put over 5k per year through it each of the four years I had it. It still shot sub MOA groups when I did my part. If it is built anywhere close to what my M24 was then it will last you a lifetime.

My M24 ran Leupold Mark 4 rings and base. However, it you are playing long range target shooting you shoot look at a 20 MOA base so you don’t run out of elevation in your scope.

Some low end M700 don’t get blueprinted, but most of their high end rifles come blueprinted.

While I didn’t think the trigger on my M24 was horrible it wasn’t as good as it could have been. You can’t go to wrong with a good Timney trigger.

Good luck
The M24 was built one at a time out of the custom shop,,using 5R barrels made by
(Iirc) Obermeyer...About the closest you can come to that in a commercial remmy is a model 40... But a model 40 will also wear a remmy made in house, button rifled, standard rifeling type barrel.
The 5R style 'milspec' touted barrels on commercial remmys were made in house by remmy with hammer forging machinery...good barrels,,but an obermeyer mounted and chambered by hand, one off in the custom shop, it isent,,,,not even close.
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 06:12   #15
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Some good info at this link: https://snipercountrypx.wordpress.co...s-5r-mil-spec/

Product Description
Features a M700 Stainless Steel barreled action with a 24 inch R5 Mil-Spec, varmint weight barrel, using the same type chamber and rifling specification as used in the M-24 sniper rifles.
Varmint weight barrel with 11.25 inch twist rate with five lands and grooves and target crown.
The HS Precision composite stock has a internal full length aluminum chassis and aluminum bedding.
Adjustable X-Mark Pro Trigger.
This rifle is a proven performer and one of the most accurate out of the box factory rifles you can buy.
With 1:11.25 5R Mil-Spec rifling.

Factory Match ammo will typically group .4 to .6 minutes @ 100 yards. Hand loaders are seeing .2 to . 4 minutes with developed loads!

LIMITED PRODUCTION RIFLE

Caliber: .308 Win
Barrel: 24 inch Stainless with Mil-Spec Chamber and 5R Rifling.
Twist: 1:11.25
Wight: 9 LBS
Mag Capacity: 4
Stock: HS Precision Varmint with Wide For end, Black w/Green
Old April 23, 2018, 06:35   #16
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

You guys really want to believe a lot of ridiculous BS. An accurate barrel depends on the chambering and the last 4 inches of barrel. Hammer forging doesn't magically add anything.

There are at leas 1/2 dozed specialized 308 reamers. The military uses the common SAAMI reamer for the M24 sniper rifle.
All that .4 to .6 groups with factory ammo is complete BS

There is no hand reaming as yovinny suggest and all that 'in house' stuff is utter nonsense.
Old April 23, 2018, 06:54   #17
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I didn't want to get into a pissing contest but you guys are too lost

Here's the M-24 specs

Specialized barrel
Pure bullshit. The military has been buying everything from Hart, Lilja and everywhere else.
Even it they were specialized magical barrels, it would all go to shit when the rifle gets re-barreled. The military re-barrels between centers. This is not a good method and will never be a good method.

This is ridiculous
The HS Precision composite stock has a internal full length aluminum chassis and aluminum bedding.
The aluminum chassis doesn't bed an action. It an attempt and not a very good one at that.

There is no magic grouping a M-24 is speced at. It'll either shoot or it won't

There is no magic to 5R, button, cut, hammer forge or anything else. Everything is a process and dependent on machinery, tooling and quality control. No magic, just a lot of hard work.

There are no magic reamers. There are specs for different purposes.
Old April 23, 2018, 08:05   #18
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

The Army is working with H&K to make a semi auto 308 that shoots 5 inch groups at 1000 meters with 118LR. Last batch they had here at Aberdeen Proving Grounds shot 8 inch groups at 1000 meters with M118LR.

The are back at the factory doing root cause analysis. Should see another test in fall.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 08:21   #19
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
You guys really want to believe a lot of ridiculous BS. {/snippage}
Posting published specs for informational purposes and conversation sake, does not a ridiculous believer make.

The proof, as usual, is in the pudding and in this case...on the range.
Old April 23, 2018, 08:29   #20
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I've never had a factory Remington rifle that didn't see significant improvement by pulling the barrel, refacing (mostly shoulder), sometimes receiver, and reinstalling the barrel with tighter headspace. And lapping the bolt. I've had factory police sniper rifles that had only 60% contact on the barrel shoulder. I can't say that any one thing does the most, I just methodically do a list of things and hope that the combination of those things will get the most out of an otherwise stock rifle. And I've never had any trouble with the factory walker trigger at 2.5#. The X mark, etc, I have less experience with and can see why the very step Remington took to prevent idiots from getting NDs with their Walker's, caused an AD with the later one.

And all the talk about the wonders of the Timney Trigger, their "new" one, sure, but the one they'd used for the previous 25 years was exactly the same as the walker, with a nut to lock the adjustment screw.

Very few of the rifles with these relatively simple and relatively inexpensive steps, will NOT shoot better than 1 MOA with FGMM.

There are of course those who want more better, and are competent enough to make use of more better. If you are one of those people, then I think a custom barrel would be worth it. I do not have any emotional adulation of the 5R.
Old April 23, 2018, 08:36   #21
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
The HS aluminum block was a stop-gap measure to reinforce a weak stock. it was later "spun" to be something good. HS fiberglass is of significantly lower quality than the action glass off a McMillan. McMillan uses a denser glass in the action area, and other strength points, with a lighter material in non-stress points, and a hard gel-coat. You can gouge an HS with your thumbnail.

If I have to work with an HS stock - which I also think has a shit grip position - I rough up the aluminum so I can do a skim-coat of marinetex and get a full bedding. Does it make it more-better? I don't know - can't prove it. But it's part of a methodical list of mitigating variables.
Old April 23, 2018, 08:46   #22
hagar
Registered

For the best accuracy you will have to reload. And use good components, Winchester or Lapua cases, Varget or RL15 powder. I would start with the 155 Hornady Amax over 43 grains of Varget or RL15. This bullet will shoot 1 moa flatter than the OLD Sierra Palma bullet (have not tried the new one). Load to almost touch the lands.

One thing I have noticed comparing factory barrels to match barrels, the factory barrels will shoot very well. For the first 30 shots, then accuracy starts dropping like a rock until you clean the barrel. Match barrels are much more forgiving of fouling.

But then the 5R barrel probably IS a match barrel, I would not yank it till 5000 rounds at least.
Old April 23, 2018, 09:14   #23
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

GP got more right than anyone else

Bedding or 'skimming' as he calls it may or may not do much. Groups will have 'fliers'. Bedding an action sometimes gets rid of the fliers. How do you know if an un-bedded action will or will not have fliers?
I bed actions to remove a possible cause of fliers so I can concentrate on other aspects. That's all bedding does

There is no magic to a Timney. It's a good, reliable trigger that will preform at my favorite hunting trigger poundage of 3.25lbs
The Timney will also reliably preform at my favorite varmint setting of 2.25lbs
Sure there are other triggers but I go with cost and reliability

A match barrel is dependent on machinery, tooling, QC and what the market the owner of the company thinks he can be competitive at. There is no magic in 5R and being a 5R does not make it a match barrel

It's been my experience that a good chambering job and the last 4" of barrel is what makes a shooter
Old April 23, 2018, 13:29   #24
Impala_Guy
Registered

Hammer forging doesn’t give me the impression it’s a vehicle for accuracy. I would think just the opposite as you are introducing lots of new stresses to the metal that have more potential create a slight concentricity variation than simply button or cut rifling a tube that’s already been precision bored. FN pulls it off because their M4, SCAR, and machine gun barrels are drilled and pounded out on huge, relatively new multimillion dollar CNC controlled machines. Like I said, I could hit a 20in gong 500 yards away pretty regularly with one of their 16” barrels and a 4x scope. That’s nice MBR accuracy but it aint the 4-5 inches the match winners rifle could probably shoot at that distance.

The claims on the 5r rifling are that with 5 lands instead of 6, that projectile deformation is reduced as the bullet is not being squeezed directly on opposite sides. Supposedly the rounded inside and outside corners of the 5r lands further increase consistency. “Supposedly” is the key word, that’s not my claim, that’s just whats out there as being claimed. I don’t expect this 700 to run with a hand built bolt gun. I know chamber, barrel straightness, and surface finish of a bore are known factors in making a good barrel. There are a lot of flukes out there. Mark built me a 50.00 with an Argentine barrel thats supposed to be a shit tube but somehow manages to consistently shoot groups around 2-2.5” with milsurp ammo. I have a Remington 1917 Enfield with a 4 groove barrel that will get well under 2” and pretty close to 1” at 100 yards with Lake City and PMC ball ammo.

It’s a nice starter rifle and I bought it cause it fit my three basic criteria of caliber, stock style, and weight in a plug and play rifle. I just don’t dig those Buck Rodgers guns yet. This thread is gonna be fun once I get it set up and post some accuracy results. I have a line on a scope, should have it all together next week. I’ll start with Hirtenberger and German milsurp ammo, of course, just for shits and giggles. I guess now I’ll have to learn to take barrel cleaning / copper fouling more seriously that just running an oily patch down the bore and putting it back in the safe.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 23, 2018 at 16:16.
Old April 23, 2018, 20:46   #25
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
There is no hand reaming as yovinny suggest and all that 'in house' stuff is utter nonsense.
Maybe you should read slower,,you might comprehend more.

1. Fitting and chambering a barrel one by one in the custom shop, instead of a production line, is whats known as 'by hand',,it has nothing to do with turning the reamer by hand.

2. Nobody said anything about what barrels the military was using for rework,,the subject was the milspec 5R barrels that remmy originally used to build M24's.

3. Nonsense or not and believe it or not, ,,Remmy actually makes ' IN HOUSE' 99.9% of the barrels they put on their rifles...Including those they made in 5R profile.
The only exception Ive ever heard of is the Obermeyer 5R cut barrels they used to build M24's for uncle sugar.

4. Remmy button rifled barrels for years,,, in fact they actually INVENTED button rifling for WWII production.
They changed most of their production barrels over to hammer forging probably close to 20 years ago now.
Old April 24, 2018, 01:45   #26
grumpy1
Registered

Well since I stirred the pot, I might as well do it some more. Seeing that Iíve actually was issued an M24 and have shot one, and know just little about it. The contract the Government had with Remington also included servicing the rifles as long as they remained in service. When my rifle was turned in it was sent back to Aniston Arsenal where it was then sent to Remington. Remington them went through the rifles, replaced worn parts, including barrels. They were then put on the market for sale. Why do I know this, because I tried to buy my rifle before they sent it back to Aniston Arsenal.

Also, Iím pretty sure that a Remington M700 Sendero has a little more work done to it than a M700 ADL or SPS. They get better parts and more attention by high skilled workers.

As far as bullet weight goes, if it is sporting the 11.25 to 1 twist rate, then one should really be looking at a 175 grain bullet as that is what it was designed around.

Honestly, I donít know who made the barrels for the M24ís my team had. However, I do know that the 6 we had could all shoot very accurately. Our monthly qualification target was a 2inch Black outer circle with a 1 inch inner circle. We had to keep all 10 rounds in the 2 inch circle durning both day time shooting and night time shooting. Most everyoneís groups all 10 rounds were touching each other. The only reason we had such a BIG target was because we still had the M3A scope (Leupold Mark 4 10x) which has a 1inch vertical adjustment and 1/2 inch horizontal adjustment. We had to know our hold off (Kentucky windadge) because you couldnít get the retical centerd.

Was my M24 the best gun ever, nope. Was it the most accurate, nope. Did it get the job done, yes. Did it do what it was designed to do, yes hit man size targets at 800 plus yards. (It wasnít until about 2007 that the military acknowledged the 308 could kill at more than 800 yards). I do miss mine. Are the new ďmilspecĒ the same or close to the same quality as the M24, I have know idea.
Old April 24, 2018, 06:11   #27
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

yovinny
My reading comprehension is just fine. You use words you don't understand

Everyone seems to think magic happens with firearms. No shop, large or small, can work like people think. Businesses have to make a profit. It's an everyday fight dealing with QC, machinery cost, employees, tooling, contracts, leasing, taxes,etc...
There is no magic to any of this, just business.

There is no magic in words like military, 5R, M-24, sniper, cut rifling, button rifling, etc...

There is no magic to building an accurate rifle. Large shop, small shop it doesn't matter. Everything is a cost/quality ratio. For you as the buyer; cost, quality, delivery time, product life expectancy, budget considerations, needs, useless, etc.. This is something you must consider.
Old April 24, 2018, 06:28   #28
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Here's mine.
I enjoy it a good deal and it's the only rifle I own that is truly competent for long range work.
Don't know about youse guys but long range to me is between 500 and 1000 yards.
My dupe of LC M118LR accuracy load is 43.0 grains of Varget under a 175 grain Nosler Custom Competition @ 2643 fps with COAL of 2.80...very simple.

R700_R.jpg
Old April 24, 2018, 17:47   #29
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
yovinny
My reading comprehension is just fine. You use words you don't understand

Everyone seems to think magic happens with firearms. No shop, large or small, can work like people think. Businesses have to make a profit. It's an everyday fight dealing with QC, machinery cost, employees, tooling, contracts, leasing, taxes,etc...
There is no magic to any of this, just business.

There is no magic in words like military, 5R, M-24, sniper, cut rifling, button rifling, etc...

There is no magic to building an accurate rifle. Large shop, small shop it doesn't matter. Everything is a cost/quality ratio. For you as the buyer; cost, quality, delivery time, product life expectancy, budget considerations, needs, useless, etc.. This is something you must consider.
Whatever,,,go ahead and change the questions at hand,,again,,,
I now know better than to ever waste my time engaging you with FACTS...

Grumpy,,,fyi, the M24has been pretty well documented and written about by a few different sources. Most of my books are boxed up or lent out, so about the only one I'm recalling off hand that absolutely covers the M24 would be Mike Lau's 'military & police sniper.
He may have some info on his web site too; Texas Brigade Armory...check it out.
Old April 24, 2018, 21:28   #30
grumpy1
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
Whatever,,,go ahead and change the questions at hand,,again,,,
I now know better than to ever waste my time engaging you with FACTS...

Grumpy,,,fyi, the M24has been pretty well documented and written about by a few different sources. Most of my books are boxed up or lent out, so about the only one I'm recalling off hand that absolutely covers the M24 would be Mike Lau's 'military & police sniper.
He may have some info on his web site too; Texas Brigade Armory...check it out.
Thanks for the info, didnít have much on the M24 but did have a good looking copy. The price isnít too bad either.
Old April 24, 2018, 22:29   #31
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Hammer forging doesnít give me the impression itís a vehicle for accuracy.
Steyr SSG and Lithgow (in their Omark target barrels) seem to do pretty well with them. Steyr still use HF barrels on all their precision rifles.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 05:14   #32
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Dang that popcorn looks good.
May not be 1/2 min with me behind the wheel, but my stock 700P in a Bell and Carlson gives me no reason for excuses. But then I haven't had a piece of paper shoot back either.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018, 05:34   #33
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

^^^ Thanks for posting a ten round group, rather than three.

Good shooting!
Old April 25, 2018, 06:01   #34
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Anything short of 10 are only foulers and luck.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018, 22:00   #35
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I've never had a factory Remington rifle that didn't see significant improvement by pulling the barrel, refacing (mostly shoulder), sometimes receiver, and reinstalling the barrel with tighter headspace. And lapping the bolt. I've had factory police sniper rifles that had only 60% contact on the barrel shoulder. I can't say that any one thing does the most, I just methodically do a list of things and hope that the combination of those things will get the most out of an otherwise stock rifle. And I've never had any trouble with the factory walker trigger at 2.5#.
(Trim)
There are of course those who want more better, and are competent enough to make use of more better. If you are one of those people, then I think a custom barrel would be worth it. I do not have any emotional adulation of the 5R.
Very similar process to what my smith does to factory 700's and others. Says setting headspace, lapping locking lugs (if majority of initial pressure is exerted on only one lug all sorts of issues occur) and proper bedding are most important steps followed by proper crown job and tuning harmonics of barrel with a custom made brake. Except for brake and bedding material every part of this 700 Rem Mag is original to gun but was torn apart every part meticulously hand fitted, cryofroze and proprietary finish after reassembly. Five round groups are sub MOA.

Old picture will have to dig out and get a sharper images. Taken quite a few nice bucks over south Georgia soybean fields with it at silly long ranges.

On below 22-250 Browning Boss A-bolt the Boss brake ports were altered, rubber bedding torn out and replaced with solid bedding material plus all other steps mentioned. The 36x Leupold target scope was sent off and blueprinted as well. This rifle will put five rounds into single cluster that almost resembles a single round in the hands of man who built it. I am happy to get 1/2 MOA or short side of it. Both of the pictured rifles and scopes were taken to smith after buying and never shot by me till he went over. He always provided a before and after group to show improvement. Well worth every dime spent to have hand fitted. In 1990's his price was $800 and way on up to totally tune a factory rifle.

Below 25-06 Ruger M77 got the treatment plus a slight bit cut off barrel and crowned as said he found a "tight" spot in rifling about 1" behind factory muzzle. Said utilizing this area for place bullet would exit bore was a bonus. It most definately is a tack driver. Very few new factory bolt rifles didn't go to Miles before I took out of box as knew I was limiting factor in the system when returned aND didnt have to wonder if rfile was the issue. Seldom met a quarter bore I didn't like, always meant to have a Garrard converted to 25-06 and totally tuned for sending copper solids down range rapidly.

After having these and others properly assembled and tweaked a little work tailoring loads to each and will shoot with custom rifles that cost much, much more. Smith retired and have eye on two of his builds but both are on consignment and owners want price of rifle, custom stock plus smith bill and a "buyers premium" to release them. One has sat almost two years and waiting for owner to tire of waiting as is in cartridge known for shooting true and long. Other is just a low round count Gibbs rifle and want all I can get since no longer builds. Turned 70 and said had a safe full of unfired rifles to play with. Pistol smith retired same day, Jan 1 2017.
Old April 30, 2018, 08:56   #36
hagar
Registered

So did you shoot it yet?
Old April 30, 2018, 13:34   #37
Impala_Guy
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
So did you shoot it yet?
Nope...bolts out for a new knob, havent got the Timney installed yet, scope is still inbound, and just tumbled some brass. Hoping this Friday but may not be till next week. Need to go back to the 21 table and win some more money now

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 30, 2018 at 13:56.