The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old July 20, 2018, 08:11   #1
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
S&W 629

Looking to swap out my smooth trigger for a serrated target style. Any anticipated considerations I need to keep in mind?

This is a newer key lock model. I could go with M29 blued, don't really care if the new trigger is not stainless. .400 or .500 wide is what I am looking for.

Anyone done this switch?
Old July 20, 2018, 10:01   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Nope, it's pretty much of a parts swap. Swapped out triggers on a Model 24 "N" frame from narrow grooved to med smooth combat trigger. Also changed out triggers on my M 66 K frame for reasons unbeknownst to me at this time. No issues with either that I recall except for my learning experience of removing the Smith's side plate. Couldn't figure out how to get the Prybar in there.

I do not have experience with Key lock models however.
Old July 20, 2018, 10:37   #3
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
Something you may want to think about, it's up to you though. A good S&W smith can serrate your smooth trigger. If you're calling a wide trigger a target trigger, I think this is a mistake. It's too easy to pull right or left with a wide trigger.

I prefer a narrow, serrated trigger on all my Smiths. It's an IPSC thing and a 629 really isn't a fast shooter but it's the same principle.
Old July 31, 2018, 01:03   #4
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
Something you may want to think about, it's up to you though. A good S&W smith can serrate your smooth trigger. If you're calling a wide trigger a target trigger, I think this is a mistake. It's too easy to pull right or left with a wide trigger.

I prefer a narrow, serrated trigger on all my Smiths. It's an IPSC thing and a 629 really isn't a fast shooter but it's the same principle.
You are right CG+L........ Just enough serration to get a little bit of trigger grip.

I Jimped a trigger a while ago, turns out it is really good at accuracy and speed shooting, going to do another the same way but on a 7mm Mag..

The Jimps are no wider than 3/8" in the center of the trigger, I can even feel when my finger is in exact position with the jimps, even through a light leather glove. spacing in my case is 3 jimps per 1/8" or 2 per 1/8th" depending on pistol, heavy revolver or rifle.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 01, 2018, 21:14   #5
shuvelrider
Registered

FALaholic #: 67921
Have you considered a trigger shoe? A small allen screw secures it to the trigger, a common mod back in the day. Per someones concern of pulling left or right, that is a matter of physical training on your part-------irregardless of trigger width.
shuvelrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 01, 2018, 22:10   #6
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
Ya I have considered a trigger shoe. After some thought I am probably just going to leave it alone. I just prefer my 29-10 with the serrated trigger.