Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old June 21, 2018, 22:06   #1
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Side rail install

How hard is it to put a side rail in an already assembled AK?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 23:38   #2
sjohnson
Registered

FALaholic #: 24502
Putting one in, or putting one in model-correct?

I've seen them installed using shaved nuts (ground half-height to clear internals) and red loctite and I've seen folks make special tooling to replicate factory rivet sets.

This is the simplest tutorial I've found: http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4607647

IF the barrel bore/trunnion aren't orthogonal (bore "points" left, right, up or down from perpendicular to the trunnion) you may need to use shims on the mount(s) to correct for the shift.

Normal bore-siting using laser and scope will help in determining what, if any corrective action you can take. Once the rail is installed, corrections can be tough, it's best when the rail top is parallel to the receiver top AND parallel to the barrel bore.
sjohnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018, 08:11   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
You will need to choose independent rivets, or shared rear trunion rivet. On the shared rear trunion rivet, you will need a custom long rivet for Romy style trunion, and a cut down one for the bulgy style twin arm trunion.

I cover a couple different versions in my gunsmithing DVD and workbook

https://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/store/store.html
Old June 24, 2018, 09:21   #4
Zeusizme
Registered

FALaholic #: 64239
Its easy if you have the riveting tools and a press
Old June 24, 2018, 09:50   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
A gunsmithing neighbor of mine helped me put a side-mounting rail on my Maadi. I bought the rail from Doug Ford (Tantal) and it attached with machine screws from the inside of the receiver. I recall my neighbor complaining about the hard metal while drilling into the receiver but that was the only real issue, or drama. It's carried a Kobra sight ever since with no problems except a retightening of the screws a few times.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2018, 10:52   #6
Zeusizme
Registered

FALaholic #: 64239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
A gunsmithing neighbor of mine helped me put a side-mounting rail on my Maadi. I bought the rail from Doug Ford (Tantal) and it attached with machine screws from the inside of the receiver. I recall my neighbor complaining about the hard metal while drilling into the receiver but that was the only real issue, or drama. It's carried a Kobra sight ever since with no problems except a retightening of the screws a few times.
Your neighbor had his drill speed set to high, with hardened receivers you need to slow things down or use carbide. If I were you Id change those screws out for rivets and be done with things coming loose.