The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old May 08, 2019, 10:27   #1
CCGR
Registered

FALaholic #: 81129
L1A1 barrels

Okay so I have a l1a1 sporter 308 receiver made by imbel, Brazil imported. I have a shot out barrel and I was wondering where I could get a new inch barrel or if I could just get one off of DSA
CCGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2019, 10:50   #2
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

You got two choices buy a surplus one on here or Gunbroker, or wait for Gunplumber to get a run of barrels completed.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2019, 14:54   #3
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Or send your barrel off for re-lining. Have had several friends have some nice long guns re-lined and shot better than new.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2019, 16:28   #4
ActionYobbo
Registered

FALaholic #: 32542
Get the rifling recut to .310 then have it double platinum chromide nitraded back to .308 for extra special accuracy and super sporter powers
Old May 10, 2019, 18:44   #5
CCGR
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionYobbo View Post
Get the rifling recut to .310 then have it double platinum chromide nitraded back to .308 for extra special accuracy and super sporter powers
I live in the Houston, and Galveston area do you have any recommendations on where to get this work done at
Old May 10, 2019, 20:09   #6
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGR View Post
I live in the Houston, and Galveston area do you have any recommendations on where to get this work done at
He was being facetious mate. No such treatment exists but there are some unscrupulous 'gunsmiths' of questionable reputation making unsubstantiated claims about the performance of their rifles when fitted with nitrided barrels. You need a new barrel; watch the market place.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 22:37   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Process is slow because we want it to be right the first time.

Trying to get chamber dimensions perfect for a .260 LS - so then we can change a few small things and do other barrel profiles.

I have a friend in Europe who works for a company that bought Steyr-Daimler-Puch StG hammer forging dies. May be able to import "sporting rifle blanks" - so that's a thought as well. No gas port, no muzzle thread, no extractor cut. Like Radom did with "not" AK-47 barrels to get around the Republican ban on imported assault rifle barrels.
Old May 11, 2019, 06:53   #8
82Trooper
Registered

FALaholic #: 81153
Quote:
Okay so I have a l1a1 sporter 308 receiver made by imbel, Brazil imported. I have a shot out barrel and I was wondering where I could get a new inch barrel or if I could just get one off of DSA
Do you want a new/replacement original style barrel, or are you considering a servicable but used, "sporter" barrel (like what you likely had)? NO flash hider/from another Century import? Are you simply trying to get it to be a shooter again, or are you looking at restoring some level of authenticity?
Mike
82Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019, 09:58   #9
CCGR
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Trooper View Post
Do you want a new/replacement original style barrel, or are you considering a servicable but used, "sporter" barrel (like what you likely had)? NO flash hider/from another Century import? Are you simply trying to get it to be a shooter again, or are you looking at restoring some level of authenticity?
Mike
I was planning on making it a shooter again I'm getting 5 to 6 in groups at a hundred yards with the barrel right now. When I first bought the gun I was getting 2 to 3 in groups,
Old May 11, 2019, 10:07   #10
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Have someone do a Remington barrel for you. It'll shoot quite well.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019, 10:27   #11
82Trooper
Registered

FALaholic #: 81153
Quote:
I was planning on making it a shooter again I'm getting 5 to 6 in groups at a hundred yards with the barrel right now. When I first bought the gun I was getting 2 to 3 in groups,
Here is why I ask.....I have a barrel I would let go cheap. A year or so ago I bought a Century Sporter on GB. Second time at the range, the hex thread on the flash hider worked loose, and one round threw the hider down range. I did not want to locate another screw on flash hider, so I searched and found a replacement barrel. My preference was for the rifle to look as original as possible. The manufacturer/distributor is apparently out of business. I had sent the action and barrel out for replacement.

The "old" barrel, which worked fine and is in good shape (other than originally being "sporterized") is just sitting on my bench. I have no use for it. It is not pretty, but it is servicable and will get you shooting again.
Here are some pix.....PM me if you are interested.

Mike
82Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote