The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old February 23, 2019, 12:54   #1
Ash112192
Registered

FALaholic #: 81972
Inch pattern receiver availability

I was pondering picking up an Aussie parts kit and I was wondering if the good folks at fal files could point me to a good source of inch receivers before I pull the trigger on buying the kit. As far as I can tell I haven't seen any except for century made imported receivers. Does anyone manufacture inch pattern receivers anymore? Pardon me for being new to the fal game lol.
Ash112192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019, 12:56   #2
Trypcil
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63101
Zero, plus or minus One - or thetherabouts!

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire

"As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression... There is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we must be most aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness." -- William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court Justice from 1939-1975

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society." -- Krishnamurti
Trypcil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2019, 23:09   #3
Tattered
Registered FAL offender
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14096
Unfortunately, there are none. The most you can hope for is to post a WTB in the marketplace and see if someone responds. They won't be cheap either, probably something in the $900 range. The century receivers do pop up from time to time and are sufficient for an L1A1 build, though not aesthetically correct. Those typically are in the $600 range. There's also the possibility of DSA doing a run, but when/if...who knows.
Tattered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2019, 13:56   #4
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
I got lucky & found one someone was selling to $450 if I remember correctly. It was a Coonan & will be built on very soon
Near Sighted Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2019, 17:03   #5
Ash112192
Registered

FALaholic #: 81972
Thank you all for the insight.
Ash112192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019, 16:13   #6
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I purchased two of that last run of DSA forged L1a1 receivers and realized have a pair of Coonan inch uppers and another Century import Imbel. Did a count of kits and quality of kits and considering letting go of one of the DSA new in plastic and one of the Coonan used from a torn down kits value would be?

With a reassessment of importance of building rifles as I spend time taking care of wife following her wreck and the additional injuries caused due to her bone disease and counted my built "in the vault" kits and factory rifles such as Springfield SAR 48's and DSA's. If not for being a "collector" might not own any FAL's as generally go for firearms that shoot most consistent and yet to hold an FAL that will shoot groups to match my Springfield Super Match or National Match.

Add in how tight some of my AR 10's shoot, ease of building, reliability, etc and collecting plus just the fact around here most at the local range get all intrigued when a few FAL's are racked behind my position and one on the rest. When finish the kits with barrels already indexed and headspaced along with whats completed in vaults or corners of rooms will be over a dozen FAL's/L1a1's in the fleet.

Art got me intrigued with his 6.5 Creedmore M14's so purchased a Springfield M1a "Loaded" in 6.5 Creedmore and have barrels now to build a pair of 6.5 Creedmore AR 10's to go with one already complete. Sub MOA relatively easily with 1/2 MOA attainable building M14's and AR 10's am considering selling some of my L1a1/FAL hoard. Wondering what the value of receivers is after selling the last one for $150 under market due to not asking value before listing.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2019, 16:37   #7
msnyder
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1085
You can get a sporter off Gunbroker.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/800667939
msnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2019, 07:37   #8
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnyder View Post

That is a bit steep. The rifle isnít worth the sum of itís parts.

With a little patience, one should be able to pick up a Century rifle with In el of Argy receiver for around $800, sometimes less if you are lucky.
Old February 28, 2019, 09:00   #9
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
That is a bit steep. The rifle isn’t worth the sum of it’s parts
Sure it is. $550-$600 receiver, $350-$400 parts kit.

It's right at the upper end - but even I'd pay $800 for it and that's just to strip it for parts.

I do several thumbhole rebuilds a month nowadays.

A 110 prefix might be cut for L1A1 mags. Gun has been refinished nicely.
Old February 28, 2019, 10:55   #10
msnyder
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
That is a bit steep. The rifle isnít worth the sum of itís parts.

With a little patience, one should be able to pick up a Century rifle with In el of Argy receiver for around $800, sometimes less if you are lucky.
It's $899 now.
Old February 28, 2019, 17:19   #11
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Sure it is. $550-$600 receiver, $350-$400 parts kit.

It's right at the upper end - but even I'd pay $800 for it and that's just to strip it for parts.

I do several thumbhole rebuilds a month nowadays.

A 110 prefix might be cut for L1A1 mags. Gun has been refinished nicely.
Problem is that inch kits are not selling.... and the barrel on that kit will need to be threaded and keyed for the proper flash hider. Not a big deal for you, but most folks will have to farm it out. Inch smalls are everywhere. I think it would be hard to pull $400 out of the extra parts on that build without correcting the muzzle end.

Of course, you don’t know what kind of inch parts will found in that build, or barrel characteristics. At $800, it is still a gamble (especially taking into account shipping, transfer fees, time extra.).... but I’m pretty sure I stated that $800 would be a reasonable price.

Now, if you walked into your local gun shop or show, and the rifle was in front of you, cash and carry, removing the shipping/transfer hassles (and risk) makes the $800 a better deal.

Last edited by lockjaw; February 28, 2019 at 23:10.
lockjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2019, 19:54   #12
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
With todayís CNC technology, if DSA produced L1A1 receivers before, both Brit and Aussie cuts, they should be able to produce them using existing CNC programs. Itís not like they have reinvent the wheel. I believe the demand is there for L1A1 receivers. I wonder, whatís keeping DSA from producing them?
pl521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2019, 20:20   #13
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Inch kits aren't selling because there are no receivers. Metric are trickling in but the inch world is a desert. Inch kits are a plenty out there and the prices are low, I think it's because there are no receivers to be had. Aside from the afore mentioned tactic of buying a built rifle and stripping it, that is. And that kind of defeats the purpose of building a kit, if the rifle is built already.
Besides, most of the time the receivers, while they work, are not correct in profile, a turn off for some. Simply metric pressed into L1A1 roles.
DSA would do themselves a favor by making some quality inch receivers, especially brit cut, since that's what a majority of kits I see are the origin of.
Old February 28, 2019, 21:54   #14
msnyder
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
DSA would do themselves a favor by making some quality inch receivers, especially brit cut, since that's what a majority of kits I see are the origin of.
I got all my Brits built with their last Brit cut run. Now I need 7 Aussie cut receivers. C'mon DSA!
Old April 28, 2019, 07:56   #15
johnnycobra
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
Inch kits aren't selling because there are no receivers. Metric are trickling in but the inch world is a desert. Inch kits are a plenty out there and the prices are low, I think it's because there are no receivers to be had. Aside from the afore mentioned tactic of buying a built rifle and stripping it, that is. And that kind of defeats the purpose of building a kit, if the rifle is built already.
Besides, most of the time the receivers, while they work, are not correct in profile, a turn off for some. Simply metric pressed into L1A1 roles.
I ďthinkĒ that if DSA did a type 1 with no other changes but an inch style magwell lightning cut and L1A1 markings they could sell it as close enough for an Aussie and sell quite a few. Taking metric mags May even be a plus. In fact, GP, maybe you could do that to a type 3 in your spare time (haha) and see if it sells
The only issue is that Iím sure it is probably >$200 to machine the lightning cuts and engrave it.
johnnycobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2019, 08:36   #16
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
DSA will be doing a run of receivers late summer....at least G1 & maybe Inch. The delay is due to their back-log of building up and shipping their recently released Izzy's.

A call to DSA wouldn't hurt....that's what I did looking for a G1.

Graham.
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019, 05:24   #17
Sirwaffle
Registered

FALaholic #: 82413
i just build a kit on a metric receiver on a dsa type 2 worked completely fine just needed a metric folding handle and some lapping on some parts. last inch i saw was 1200$ wasn't worth it for me.
Sirwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019, 13:29   #18
Snayperskaya
Registered

FALaholic #: 74488
Yeah the DSA rep at knob creek said that they'll be aussie pattern. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up one of tdw's kits in anticipation
Snayperskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2019, 12:21   #19
Grahamneall
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62175
Just spoke with DSA and they confirmed they will be doing a run of G1 and Aussie Inch receivers later in the summer, after they finish their Izzy builds.

They have not concluded if they will switch to billet steel or stay with cast.

They are not taking pre-orders at this time....you need to periodically check with them for pre-orders or availability.

Graham.
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2019, 09:13   #20
flyboy1910
Registered

FALaholic #: 31588
Iíve decided to go the route of going through Gunplumber to put the Brit cuts on an Imbel and building on one of his refinished kits as opposed to hitting the refresh button on DSAs website all summer in wild hope of making the cut before they sell out in 20 minutes.

The final product will be worth it and I can get the ball rolling a few months earlier in the build queue.
flyboy1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 01:05   #21
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I purchased two of that last run of DSA forged L1a1 receivers and realized have a pair of Coonan inch uppers and another Century import Imbel. Did a count of kits and quality of kits and considering letting go of one of the DSA new in plastic and one of the Coonan used from a torn down kits value would be?

With a reassessment of importance of building rifles as I spend time taking care of wife following her wreck and the additional injuries caused due to her bone disease and counted my built "in the vault" kits and factory rifles such as Springfield SAR 48's and DSA's. If not for being a "collector" might not own any FAL's as generally go for firearms that shoot most consistent and yet to hold an FAL that will shoot groups to match my Springfield Super Match or National Match.

Add in how tight some of my AR 10's shoot, ease of building, reliability, etc and collecting plus just the fact around here most at the local range get all intrigued when a few FAL's are racked behind my position and one on the rest. When finish the kits with barrels already indexed and headspaced along with whats completed in vaults or corners of rooms will be over a dozen FAL's/L1a1's in the fleet.

Art got me intrigued with his 6.5 Creedmore M14's so purchased a Springfield M1a "Loaded" in 6.5 Creedmore and have barrels now to build a pair of 6.5 Creedmore AR 10's to go with one already complete. Sub MOA relatively easily with 1/2 MOA attainable building M14's and AR 10's am considering selling some of my L1a1/FAL hoard. Wondering what the value of receivers is after selling the last one for $150 under market due to not asking value before listing.
I sold a new DSA LMT made L1A1 receiver for $1100 last year to a member here. I was just selling him an Australian L1A1 kit and then he asked what I planned on doing with the receiver. I was planning on building an early C1 but found out that a metric type one receiver was more accurate but I still didn't want to sell it but when he offered me $1100 and I just happened to have some bills that needed to be paid, so I let it go. Whatever you do, don't sell it cheap here.
raexcct2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 02:47   #22
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1910 View Post
Iíve decided to go the route of going through Gunplumber to put the Brit cuts on an Imbel and building on one of his refinished kits as opposed to hitting the refresh button on DSAs website all summer in wild hope of making the cut before they sell out in 20 minutes.

The final product will be worth it and I can get the ball rolling a few months earlier in the build queue.
A wise decision, I assure you. No it is not cheap, but worthwhile things rarely are so. Seen below is one of the jewels of my meager L1/SLR collection, awaiting a few final touches. Mark did the cuts and I couldn't be happier. The QPQ nitride on all these parts is the icing on the cake

COBC #66
FarkŽn SnÍekee BastÔtch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 09:16   #23
flyboy1910
Registered

FALaholic #: 31588
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
A wise decision, I assure you. No it is not cheap, but worthwhile things rarely are so. Seen below is one of the jewels of my meager L1/SLR collection, awaiting a few final touches. Mark did the cuts and I couldn't be happier. The QPQ nitride on all these parts is the icing on the cake

Looks awesome. My receiver is a PARS (couldn’t source an different Imbel at an acceptable price) so unfortunately its not possible to get the markings done. But the “look” is there and it will be built on a known good quality receiver into a gun that will run.

Reading the ARS FB page about the last batch of Brit cut DSAs scared me off. Machining for mag fit is bad enough but being warped is completely unacceptable.
flyboy1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 09:20   #24
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
I sold a new DSA LMT made L1A1 receiver for $1100 last year to a member here. I was just selling him an Australian L1A1 kit and then he asked what I planned on doing with the receiver. I was planning on building an early C1 but found out that a metric type one receiver was more accurate but I still didn't want to sell it but when he offered me $1100 and I just happened to have some bills that needed to be paid, so I let it go. Whatever you do, don't sell it cheap here.
Advertised an inch receiver for $650 a few months ago and it went immediately. Buyer told me what it was worth and offered to let me out of the deal but wasn't losing money and let him have it per my stupidity. If someone wants a new forged DSA inch receiver and is paying over a grand just let me know.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 10:30   #25
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy1910 View Post
Looks awesome. My receiver is a PARS (couldnít source an different Imbel at an acceptable price) so unfortunately its not possible to get the markings done. But the ďlookĒ is there and it will be built on a known good quality receiver into a gun that will run.

Reading the ARS FB page about the last batch of Brit cut DSAs scared me off. Machining for mag fit is bad enough but being warped is completely unacceptable.

I can do the markings on a PARS, I just can't make the gear logo go away. Not good enough at micro tig welding at this time.
Old May 03, 2019, 11:14   #26
Vulcanator
Registered

FALaholic #: 76076
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief View Post

Looks stunning, what does the right side look like please?
Vulcanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 19:39   #27
The Chief
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 76457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanator View Post
Looks stunning, what does the right side look like please?
Apologies, I only have a photo showing it in-the-white, and I'm at work presently... but it'll give an idea of the cuts/visual

COBC #66
FarkŽn SnÍekee BastÔtch
(formerly 'Capt D')
The Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2019, 08:44   #28
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Yes, a wise choice having Mark work you up an IMBEL. Here's mine...

This was prior to him being able to do markings, unfortunately. But as said, it fills the void and plays the part very, very well. I couldn't be happier with the rifle.
Old May 16, 2019, 16:33   #29
OneEyedJack75
Registered

FALaholic #: 81384
I saw in a post above that DSA said that they would be doing inch receivers later this summer when the Israeli receivers are done. So, I e-mailed them yesterday and got a response today. It confirms all that was stated in the post. Probably Aussie, maybe billet if cost is right.

It may be a good idea if everyone here that wants any e-mail or call. Squeaky wheels and all that.

OneEyedJack75
OneEyedJack75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 21:42   #30
Fallujahgrunt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80766
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneEyedJack75 View Post
I saw in a post above that DSA said that they would be doing inch receivers later this summer when the Israeli receivers are done. So, I e-mailed them yesterday and got a response today. It confirms all that was stated in the post. Probably Aussie, maybe billet if cost is right.

It may be a good idea if everyone here that wants any e-mail or call. Squeaky wheels and all that.

OneEyedJack75

Looks like pre registration time is here

https://www.dsarms.com/p-17160-dsa-s...andle-cut.aspx
Old May 27, 2019, 23:56   #31
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnyder View Post

This is the route I took.
Ive got three L1A1s that started as CAI guns.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:25   #32
SteelonSteel
Veteran Member
Contributor

FALaholic #: 18603
Says that all DSA receivers start out as investment cast in the Aussie pre order ad.

Looks like billet wasnít the chosen path.

The price looks very reasonable.
SteelonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2019, 15:21   #33
RegularGuy
Registered

FALaholic #: 82141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallujahgrunt View Post
Looks like pre registration time is here

https://www.dsarms.com/p-17160-dsa-s...andle-cut.aspx
Thanks for posting that link, I've been sitting on an Aussie parts kit hoping to find a receiver and send it to Arizona Response to work his magic. Was thinking about selling the parts but I guess I can wait lol
RegularGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 03, 2019, 01:18   #34
Syntax Error
Registered

FALaholic #: 73817
Still waiting on these DSA receivers! Hopefully they'll do another run of Brit cut Inch receivers. Got a cherry English kit I'd like to build up to another L1A1.
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote