The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old April 30, 2019, 21:32   #1
johnnycobra
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
Another century mag question

I’ve looked at century mag cuts and thought I could tell them apart.
There is something about this one that is throwing me off though
It looks like a rectangular cut for the mag beak, but is rounded across the far wall of the receiver. Additionally, there is a small rectangular relief below the larger rectangular hole.

Inch magazines have to be pounded in and are nearly impossible to remove. Metric mags flop around with looseness at the rear mag catch AND front “beak”.
Is this an inch receiver that someone took a little off the bottom of the front lug notch? Still doesn’t explain why you really can’t use inch mags in it without a lot of filing mags.

https://i.imgur.com/AtJt2yr.jpg

Last edited by johnnycobra; April 30, 2019 at 21:46.
johnnycobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2019, 21:58   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Saw that same thing last weekend - customer asking me to evaluate. My analysis was that the cut is either incomplete and a second pass with the keyseat was never done, - or they messed up, caught themselves, and then did it higher. Although the one I looked at had even worse feedramps (ICR prefix?)

So what's your question. It's Century, it sucks. There is a lot more to an L1A1 mag well than just the notch depth. There is secondary clearance on underside of rail, a step for the plate behind the beak, and a lead in angle leaving the front web almost sharp.

Old April 30, 2019, 22:05   #3
johnnycobra
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Saw that same thing last weekend - customer asking me to evaluate. My analysis was that the cut is either incomplete and a second pass with the keyseat was never done, - or they messed up, caught themselves, and then did it higher. Although the one I looked at had even worse feedramps (ICR prefix?)

So what's your question. It's Century, it sucks. There is a lot more to an L1A1 mag well than just the notch depth. There is secondary clearance on underside of rail, a step for the plate behind the beak, and a lead in angle leaving the front web almost sharp.

My main question was which mag were they intending this receiver to use because they failed both ways.
Validation that any time spent/wasted trying to get a mag to work should be spent on commonwealth mags and not metric, right?
Old April 30, 2019, 22:17   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycobra View Post
My main question was which mag were they intending this receiver to use because they failed both ways.
Validation that any time spent/wasted trying to get a mag to work should be spent on commonwealth mags and not metric, right?

It doesn't match any known mag well. May be an attempt at universal. But even though a FAL mag will fit in an L1A1, it doesn't contact the front notch and the front of the mag will droop, causing rounds to hit below the feedramp instead of riding up it.

Unibrow feedramps were on some early FALO, and I'm not saying that's a problem (but they stopped using it for some reason), but that ain't even unibrow.

Does the ass end of the magazine latch without bending the top front edges of the mag down?

I suspect that you need to lower the mag "shelf" to coincide with the false start cut below what you have. But if I'm wrong, it will hold the front of the mag too low and you'll get bolt over base - and be very difficult to reverse.

Do you have a mag you can sacrifice? Maybe cut the front notch up from the underside the same amount you'd lower the shelf, and test it? If it's happy, then lower the shelf.
Old April 30, 2019, 22:32   #5
johnnycobra
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
It doesn't match any known mag well. May be an attempt at universal. But even though a FAL mag will fit in an L1A1, it doesn't contact the front notch and the front of the mag will droop, causing rounds to hit below the feedramp instead of riding up it.

Unibrow feedramps were on some early FALO, and I'm not saying that's a problem (but they stopped using it for some reason), but that ain't even unibrow.

Does the ass end of the magazine latch without bending the top front edges of the mag down?

I suspect that you need to lower the mag "shelf" to coincide with the false start cut below what you have. But if I'm wrong, it will hold the front of the mag too low and you'll get bolt over base - and be very difficult to reverse.

Do you have a mag you can sacrifice? Maybe cut the front notch up from the underside the same amount you'd lower the shelf, and test it? If it's happy, then lower the shelf.
Metric mags have both free play at the front as you noted they would.
They also have play at the l rear as if the catch is a 1/16 too low for an FAL mag to engage the mag catch.

The inch mag I have had had the beak whittled a tiny bit to fit as well as it does. It shouldn’t be a problem to work it a touch and see if that helps. It doesn’t appear to be binding the feed lips but Lordy the rails overhang the mag feedlips a tad in a spot or two...
**edit, I misunderstood the feed lip issue, it seems you are talking about outward bowing of the mag sides/lips due to the mag being squeezed fore (by the beak and aft at the mag catch. I will look again)**
Thanks for all the feedback as usual.

Last edited by johnnycobra; April 30, 2019 at 22:45.