Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Karambit

Interesting knife....

https://youtu.be/vi7TPa1eQ8w

Even better...

https://youtu.be/2fjMpn7JCJ0

Last edited by Bawana jim; June 18, 2018 at 21:19.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 21:30   #2
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
They are an interesting blade....

but whenever I watch any knife practitioners (and I love knives) I can't help but think of...

(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 21:53   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

Who makes the best one? I want to try one of these. So far I only found one at..

https://www.karambit.com
Old June 18, 2018, 22:01   #4
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Lots of makers of various qualities and costs (that one of mine would set you back about $750US - that is about rarity more than anything but it is a quality piece)...you also need to try them in hand to see if a particular model will fit your mit.
Old June 18, 2018, 22:08   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

Very interesting knife, watching a master work with one gives a good understanding of what one can do. What features makes the one you showed worth $750?
Old June 18, 2018, 22:44   #6
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Rarity, Busse only made a limited run of them out of their propriety steel (INFI), they are as tough as they come (and were about $300 +/- when released) but there only a limited number out there in the wild (MANY less in Australia) so supply and demand = people will pay what it takes to own one (I sure as hell didn't pay that !!!). You should expect a couple of hundred US +/- for something decent.
Old June 18, 2018, 23:06   #7
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
but whenever I watch any knife practitioners (and I love knives) I can't help but think of...
Probly won't be like the movies though. Somebody will have it concealed and take you out in a crowd or in passing.
Old June 18, 2018, 23:45   #8
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
^

True.

But maybe in the reverse situation it makes more sense: A guy with a gun: do you want to take him out with a knife, or do you want a gun to defend yourself?

Gun.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 02:40   #9
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

The only time another party should know that you intend on using a knife in a fight is the moment he realises he has been cut or stabbed. And if you have worked fast enough there will be several slices or penetrations before the realisation a blade is involved has set in.

I have interviewed more than my share or stabbing recipients and all but one (who saw the blade inbound) at first thought they had been punched hard. One (who's bicep was split in half) thought he had been hit with a bat.... I much prefer the standoff a gun gives Who really wants blood on the toe caps of their brogues
Old June 19, 2018, 15:19   #10
Bawana jim
Registered

Guns run out of bullets, a back up tool would be handy.
Old June 19, 2018, 17:42   #11
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Guns run out of bullets, a back up tool would be handy.
Only if you let them...

Don't let them...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 18:25   #12
sniperdoc
Registered

FALaholic #: 80483
I'm sure those who are properly trained can use them well, but most Westerners would be better served with a more "traditional" knife that allows both stabs and slashes.
sniperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 18:39   #13
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Only if you let them...

Don't let them...

Forrest
I wish I could carry more but fact is I cant. I went to the range today and three hours later I was out of ammo but I still had my knife.

Errr maybe bawana needs a boy to pack ammo for him...
Old June 22, 2018, 08:51   #14
loneeagle308
Registered

FALaholic #: 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
The only time another party should know that you intend on using a knife in a fight is the moment he realises he has been cut or stabbed. And if you have worked fast enough there will be several slices or penetrations before the realisation a blade is involved has set in.

I have interviewed more than my share or stabbing recipients and all but one (who saw the blade inbound) at first thought they had been punched hard. One (who's bicep was split in half) thought he had been hit with a bat.... I much prefer the standoff a gun gives Who really wants blood on the toe caps of their brogues
Didn't know they still had pointy metal objects down under. Thought combat boomerangs were the next cycle of weapons to be had.
loneeagle308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2018, 19:16   #15
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Yes mate, there is much sharpened steel to be had here.....guns as well ...
Old June 30, 2018, 23:51   #16
Bawana jim
Registered

What do you think?

https://www.crkt.com/shop/tactical-knives/du-hoc.html
Old July 02, 2018, 23:27   #17
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Better:

http://www.barkriverknives.com/index/ghost-ii-karambit/

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2018, 14:38   #18
Bawana jim
Registered

I have been researching some on knives and it seems there are a lot of Chinese knives they want to sell for American prices. Trying to buy usa brands and looks like Bark river is just that.

Thanks.
Old July 15, 2018, 09:47   #19
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Always carry a gun, and extra ammo, and try not to let it run out of ammo BUT sh*t happens so along with my gun, I carry two knives, one on each side of my body just in case sh*t happens!

I've always thought it was a no-brainer. Why limit yourself to only one weapon?

Back to the original topic. I have a cheap Karambit knife but don't carry it much. If you aren't trained with one, they can be dangerous to the user. But I do like how they are used and if I wasn't so old, I'd train with one.
In my younger days I did Kenpo karate, and trained with a straight blade so for self defense, I'll stick with what I know. If I got into a fight with a Karambit, I'd probably put myself in the hospital, not the bad guy! lol

All of that said, if you get into a knife fight, chances are you're going to get cut too. I don't like getting cut so my first choice is a firearm. I don't wear Brogues like Andy does but I still don't want blood on my boots.

idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018, 15:08   #20
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by idsubgun View Post
I don't wear Brogues like Andy does but I still don't want blood on my boots.

Old July 15, 2018, 23:00   #21
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Always carry a gun, and extra ammo, and try not to let it run out of ammo BUT sh*t happens so along with my gun, I carry two knives, one on each side of my body just in case sh*t happens!

I've always thought it was a no-brainer. Why limit yourself to only one weapon?

Back to the original topic. I have a cheap Karambit knife but don't carry it much. If you aren't trained with one, they can be dangerous to the user. But I do like how they are used and if I wasn't so old, I'd train with one.
In my younger days I did Kenpo karate, and trained with a straight blade so for self defense, I'll stick with what I know. If I got into a fight with a Karambit, I'd probably put myself in the hospital, not the bad guy! lol

All of that said, if you get into a knife fight, chances are you're going to get cut too. I don't like getting cut so my first choice is a firearm. I don't wear Brogues like Andy does but I still don't want blood on my boots.

I am an old fart and there is no way I would win a hand to hand against most of the young guys. I am a machine operator and my best defense will be either a simple machine or gas operated. Heck I know at my age I could never learn the skills of knife combat but one good move may do the trick. Without a tool these old bones will be broken in a hurry but one good trick just might save me.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:57   #22
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I am an old fart and there is no way I would win a hand to hand against most of the young guys. I am a machine operator and my best defense will be either a simple machine or gas operated. Heck I know at my age I could never learn the skills of knife combat but one good move may do the trick. Without a tool these old bones will be broken in a hurry but one good trick just might save me.
I'm an old fart too but I can take my knife and stick someone a dozen times in rapid succession to the chest, their side, their belly, inside the upper thigh, etc. That could save your life.
The object is too bleed them out as fast as possible.

Which is why I carry a straighter blade then the Karambit. That's a slicing knife. I like stabbing knives. But I can easily see where the Karambit would be a GREAT fighting knife in the hands of someone trained to use it. It'd slice the piss out of you! And when you hold it in a fist, with the blade coming out the bottom of your hand, it'd be devastating to your foe. That being said, I can also see where in the hands of an untrained person, it can cut the sh*t out you! Or at least me! I'm not used to such a curve on a knife.

I love knives! I have probably 80-100 knives but I'd hate to have to fight with one! Usually both people in a knife fight get cut. I don't like to see blood, especially my own!

So, I made a vow to ALWAYS carry a gun to a knife fight!
Old July 16, 2018, 12:07   #23
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
I'm an old fart too but I can take my knife and stick someone a dozen times in rapid succession to the chest, their side, their belly, inside the upper thigh, etc. That could save your life.
The object is too bleed them out as fast as possible.

Which is why I carry a straighter blade then the Karambit. That's a slicing knife. I like stabbing knives. But I can easily see where the Karambit would be a GREAT fighting knife in the hands of someone trained to use it. It'd slice the piss out of you! And when you hold it in a fist, with the blade coming out the bottom of your hand, it'd be devastating to your foe. That being said, I can also see where in the hands of an untrained person, it can cut the sh*t out you! Or at least me! I'm not used to such a curve on a knife.

I love knives! I have probably 80-100 knives but I'd hate to have to fight with one! Usually both people in a knife fight get cut. I don't like to see blood, especially my own!

So, I made a vow to ALWAYS carry a gun to a knife fight!
My knife work has been limited to cutting up game animals and making my food small enough to eat. I carry one all the time when I am awake. I don't have a hundred knives but enough to drown me should I try to swim with them all

In my young days I trained in martial arts for a few years but it's obvious the newer styles of unarmed combat are far better. Mixed martial arts put traditional to shame and the young guys are using it. My only defense would be a knife in a lot of cases and I think the karambit offers a lot of options when defending with a knife.

Creating blood loss from a long powerful slash at least will mark my assailant and the ring in the knife will take the place of a lanyard so I have better control and grip. I will buy one and work with it but carry my other knife too. Two hands equals two knives.
Old July 16, 2018, 13:53   #24
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

Buy one and play with it. Buy a cheap one to see if you like it. They come in fixed and folder.
Old Yesterday, 10:40   #25
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
That blade design is worthless. U R limited to slashing, period. I prefer a Cold Steel Counter-tac II over almost any of my other blades. Fast, concealable, very sharp, very fast & deadly...
Old Yesterday, 17:01   #26
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
OK worthless is a little strong, just doesn't seem very practical to me. Apologies to BJ.