The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old April 22, 2018, 17:16   #1
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Nightforce SHV vs NXS vz Vortex Razor gen II opinions?

I'm looking to get my first FFP reticle scope. I really like the Nightforce SHV F1 for the money. I dont intend to do a lot of clicking on the elevation knob and will use the reticle for hold over most of the time.

However, if I want to learn how to dial in a range once in a while, can I expect the same tracking and repeatability from this scope as the NXS or the Razor Gen II, or am I kidding myself and need to pay 2x to get what I want?

I should note that my chances of doing any shooting beyond 600 yards are slim around here.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 22, 2018 at 17:43.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 11:19   #2
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Don't know what type of rifle you're planning on putting it on (would probably be overkill on an FAL). Having said that, you should have no issues to 600yds with the SHV FFP scope. It works as advertised. I've no experience with the other two, but I am sure they are fine optics.
Old April 23, 2018, 14:19   #3
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
I was recently looking at those and decided to go with the March. It's 3-24 power and only weighs 23 ounces. Some of the best glass in the business and much smaller than those other scopes. About 1850 shipped from opticsplanet.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 14:43   #4
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
You have a link for that? The March 3-24 scopes I see on EBay from Opticsplanet run closer to $3000.

I looked hard at the Vortex Viper, but bought a Burris XTR-2 SCR scope instead. What sold me on the Burris was the 34 mm tube size.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 14:55   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
The SHV doesn't have an illuminated reticule, the NXS does. I think there's some different lens coating as well. I have a 2.5-10 SHV on one of my SCARs. I had wanted a 4x14 NXS but this one came along used at a very nice price, so I grabbed it.
Old April 23, 2018, 15:06   #6
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
You have a link for that? The March 3-24 scopes I see on EBay from Opticsplanet run closer to $3000.

I looked hard at the Vortex Viper, but bought a Burris XTR-2 SCR scope instead. What sold me on the Burris was the 34 mm tube size.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/march-o...iflescope.html

1950 for the moa version but they have 10% off of that today.

That's the non illuminated version. Illuminated is a lot more and I've read mixed reviews of the march illumination system.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2018, 15:51   #7
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
The March optics are made in Japan, though I think its a different company than L.O.W. that makes the Razor. I'm pretty sure Light Optical Works also makes the starter NF scopes.

Ended up going with the Razor 3-18x, as I found a deal on a second hand one that had never been mounted and is in new condition for $1700. I only spent more than the NF SHV F1 because I like the big turrets and styling of it more, and everybody is raving about the turrets / tracking on them them right now. I also wanted a little more than 14X magnification and I wanted a 34mm tube. The guy killing golf balls at 400 yards at last weeks match had the Razor. I will still probably get a Nightforce to try out or for a second rifle. I really dont see anything out there that has it all for $1250 like the SHV F1 does. The F1 is illuminated BTW, though I dont care about that.

I think Hagar did good with the XTR II. From what I can tell they are proving to be the best of the Pacific Rim made scopes, and on par with many Japanese made ones. I read a LOT of reviews and watched a lot of video clips this past week on sub $2000 optics.

Last edited by Impala_Guy; April 23, 2018 at 16:19.
Impala_Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2018, 18:42   #8
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
If you are diligent you can get the NSX for around $1,850. Just need to be watching the sales on Optics Planet and Sport Optics. They occasionally run a 10% off price special. Usualy just for a few hours.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote