The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old May 01, 2011, 14:40   #51
kychas
Registered

FALaholic #: 9429
to smooth the power to the LEDs put a cap or capacitor >15vdc about a 100 to 200micro ferret capacitor across the power going into the circuit, this will smooth or flatten the power and it will help protect the LEDs and make the light not have flickers.( that if there is ac power feeding the DC power circuit)

on a side note there has been LED car bulbs made now and are for sale on this site. I have bought many LED parts from them for MODing flashlights so that the battery will last a long time.
this one draws one tenth the current and gives three time the light.
led bulb
kychas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2011, 22:17   #52
jerrymrc
Registered

FALaholic #: 2331
Quote:
Originally posted by kychas
to smooth the power to the LEDs put a cap or capacitor >15vdc about a 100 to 200micro ferret capacitor across the power going into the circuit, this will smooth or flatten the power and it will help protect the LEDs and make the light not have flickers.( that if there is ac power feeding the DC power circuit)

on a side note there has been LED car bulbs made now and are for sale on this site. I have bought many LED parts from them for MODing flashlights so that the battery will last a long time.
this one draws one tenth the current and gives three time the light.
led bulb
In my case my inverter was a 1/2 wave. when ya lose 1/2 of 1/2 it gets ugly. Replaced the offending diode and all is well.
jerrymrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2011, 18:36   #53
machanic
Contributor

FALaholic #: 63516
I don't know if these sources have been listed but they are suppliers I have used with satisfactory results
www.superbrightleds.com
www.allelectronics.com[/url]
machanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2011, 22:39   #54
jerrymrc
Registered

FALaholic #: 2331
Quote:
Originally posted by machanic
I don't know if these sources have been listed but they are suppliers I have used with satisfactory results
www.superbrightleds.com
www.allelectronics.com[/url]
I have bought some from the top supplier. Not bad but the color almost hurt.
jerrymrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2014, 02:05   #55
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
I install tens of thousands of dollars worth of LED bulbs in an average year of all types. I have LED fixtures now that retrofit into 400 watt metal halide wall packs and 1,000 watt meral halide parking lot lights as you commonly see in shopping center and Mall parking lots. Most clients are still having me out once or twice a year replacing the industry standard metal halides with metal halides but about 25% of my customers are making the switch to induction lighting and LED replacements.

Monday night I replaced four 1,000 watt quartz halogen fixtures with four 43 watt LED units. Did math based on timer set duty cycle and the 1,000 watt halogens used 38 dollars per month electricity and one of them required a 75 dollar service trip plus 12 dollar bulb every month. The LED versions will be burning about 7 dollars a month of power, put out more light at a higher kelvin temperature value.

For home use there are replacement LED bulbs at Lowes for almost every application in a home. I purchased 48 75 watt equivalents at 17.98 each this week. They are brighter white light than incadescents replacing, only use 22% of the electricity of incadescents and have an average duty cycle of 20 plus years. I went to a job Tuesday where I serviced lights three years ago. When got invoice they decided my price was too expensive so for past two and half years been using two other vendors. Monday night they realized only 25% of their exterior lighting was working. Maintenance contract person and building owner pulled last three years of lighting invoices to discover only lights working were the ones I replaced three years ago ane every single fixture I serviced still worked. Today I got to them and replaced the 75% of non working bulbs with LEDs.9

So we are talking survival. While replacing home bulbs are an economically sound idea, in an emergency they will definately use much less wattage allowing your generator to idle at lower pace or give you headroom to use with other devices.

Next idea is low voltage LED's that run off 12 volt so become good for use with batteries. My ham radio shacks, reloading room and emergency/panic room uses these and I get them for free most of the time. Most retail center signs called "channel letters" above each store use mostly LED light modules that come in 25 foot to 100 foot rolls with a light every four to eight inches. They can be purchased in all price ranges but I usually purchase G.E. or Sloan LED's that are IP67 rated. That means dustproof and can operate in continuous salt water spray. I pefer to use IP68 rated if customer will spend a few more dollars because will run in any dusty environment or completely submerged in water.

I remove a lot of signs from stores and we remove all the LEDs before sending to scrap yard. Last year I gave close to 500 feet of these good used units away on some other forums. I probably have another 50 to 100 feet left I could give away if people dont all get greedy. This is what they look like.

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWe...powerstrip.jsp

http://sloanled.com/sign-and-archite...hannel-letter/

You can run a pretty significant string of these for a long time off a 12v car battery. I have one small room that has 2 car batteries connected to battery tender and enough of these lights to illuminate room well. I can unplug trickle charger, turn on lights, leave work and next day are still burning bright. For those who stuck this out, the first five people who say "I want free LED lights" below and PM me an address I will send a string for free and pick up the postage. Once you run them and rant, I will see who all wants some, buy a 100 foot roll and sell for price paid with no mark up. I get wholesale with no sales tax. For the first two experimenters that build alternative systems will send a variety pack. So that is seven Files members getting free outdoor LED modules. 1st two that say experimenters pack and PM get the variety packs.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2014, 02:16   #56
hueyville
Registered

BTW. No capacitors are needed for these. All cicuitry is built in. All you do is attach to 12v battery or power supply. This job required a minimum of skill though.

Here is a custom billet aluminum light I built for clients special product using high output colored LEDs, balancing resistors and lots of work on milling machine. You dont have to be a hobbiest to use LEDs anymore. Just connect two wires to 12 volts.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old November 11, 2014, 14:52   #57
hueyville
Registered

So here is an overview of what I did until broken back and neck. I still do consulting, emergency sites and trouble shooting problems company techs can't figure out but the battery installs were the meat and taters that put money in the pocket. I flipped a truck load per day. Load, unload, remove old, install new, load old, unload old and start again. A good day was two truck loads.

Small Truck Load of Batteries:

Big Truck Load of Batteries:

Batteries Down in Big Hole:

Go Back to Shop and Invent Portable Mini Crane:
(Yes I designed, fabricated and used in field with my own hands)

Old batteries in left drawer, New in right:

Why you should not gripe about the phone bill:
(every piece of equipment must have 10 hour battery reserve)

Big Freaking Battery!!!:

My favorite part of job:
(Trouble shoot electrical gremlins and can still do even with broke neck)

Next time you take your phone for granted, think again. Without techs working 24/7/365 the phone grid would fall apart in a matter of days. So if your prepping for a pandemic flu. What happens if half the phone guys get sick? Or half the power grid guys? All of our everyday devices are so deep in complicated infrastructure whether its pandemic, EMP, martial law, terrorism then all systems could likely fail. Now who wants some free LED's?

First person to post send them to me and sends me a ship to address via PM gets a total of 28 of these outdoor rated LED modules. All you do is supply 12 volts DC from whatever source you choose. A lawn mower battery will run this string for a full day or more.

String these puppies up and this is what you get off of a car battery. Have let them run as long as two days without killing the batteries charge.