Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old July 17, 2018, 17:38   #1
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Palmetto blem non blem

Well I finally got a Palmetto blem that's not suppose to be a blem. I bought a 300 Blackie complete upper with a 7.5 barrel and when I pulled it out of the box I found some small abrasions on the hand guard. So I called Palmetto on it today to see what they wanted to do and Steve the guy I talked to said I could get a refund or a replacement or they would issue a blem discount so I ask how much off for the blem and he says $30 so I tell sign me up I have my trusty touch up pen right here, so everyone's happy they didn't have to do any shipping and I didn't have to take it to UPS and I got $30 off.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 17:58   #2
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Several years ago a couple friends of mine had go 'rounds with Palmetto over different issues, back before I had ever dealt with them.

I can't say they've ever done me wrong. Always been happy with their products and service...from a financial standpoint, my wife hates 'em. 😁
Old July 17, 2018, 19:52   #3
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Just got in a pistol complete lower, with adjustable butt, and a 10.5 barrel assembly, with regular front sight post, another vehicle rifle, thing works great, accurate, tight assembly, no issues.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 20:05   #4
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Just got in a pistol complete lower, with adjustable butt, and a 10.5 barrel assembly, with regular front sight post, another vehicle rifle, thing works great, accurate, tight assembly, no issues.

I just bought one of these complete lowers from Palmetto today it has the SBA3 pistol brace so now I'll have a 300 Blackie with a 7.5'' barrel with the SBA3 and a 300 with a 10.5 barrel with the SBPDW pistol brace, lifr is good.

Mark
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 20:38   #5
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblu72 View Post
I just bought one of these complete lowers from Palmetto today it has the SBA3 pistol brace so now I'll have a 300 Blackie with a 7.5'' barrel with the SBA3 and a 300 with a 10.5 barrel with the SBPDW pistol brace, lifr is good.

Mark
When its shut down, a good three inches shorter than my sig brace, which is what I wanted.

Old July 17, 2018, 21:07   #6
357ross
Registered

FALaholic #: 47543
So Palmetto's stuff is good then? I was going to buy a complete upper from them but the price point had me a little worried. Cosmetic problems don't concern me for what I want, but it must work and accuracy must be within reason.
357ross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 21:51   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357ross View Post
So Palmetto's stuff is good then? I was going to buy a complete upper from them but the price point had me a little worried. Cosmetic problems don't concern me for what I want, but it must work and accuracy must be within reason.
3 rounds out of this rig, 15 yards, covered by a dime.

Far better than the stuff I was issued for work back in 68/69/70.

Old July 17, 2018, 22:52   #8
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
The 16" barrel/13" MLok rail and stripped lower I bought ~4 months ago have 500 rounds through them. MOA accuracy with most commercial 5.56. My brother's all-PSA 8.5" pistol works without a hitch, as does his PSA AK. Most of my coworkers and my buddies have multiple PSA toys, too.

My next build will be one of their 10.5" uppers with an SB Tactical PDW brace.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2018, 23:07   #9
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
I picked up a “blem” PSAK-47 with the folding Zhukov M-lok stock ($200 by itself) for $399 shipped a while ago on clearance. I saw no marks on it at all except for a slight tool mark next to one of the rivets. A couple thousand rounds through it since without a single malfunction, and no abnormal wear in the action.

They have me sold on their products.

I also snagged 8 magpul AK mags and a ($70 elsewhere) bag for $90 shipped around the same time. Ridiculous deals.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 00:04   #10
old_spambo
Registered

FALaholic #: 75387
I have bought several AR uppers and bolt carriers from Palmetto. No complaints.

The .308 complete rifle with stainless barrel and free floated hand guard can
be had $599+shipping. And they offer reasonably priced 6.5 Creedmoor and
.224 uppers.

I have nothing but good things to say about Palmetto.

Spambo
old_spambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 10:59   #11
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
I'd say the only real complaint I've heard from all over, and experienced first hand, is they are not what one would call "speedy." It may take them 10 biz days to get to your order, but they will, and you will get it, and you will be happy with your newest toy.

As for quality, the PTAC stuff hasn't had the best reputation, but it's priced accordingly. Get the main line stuff and I've never heard or had a complaint. Frankly I'm not sure they even carry the line anymore, having not seen any of it in recent memory.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 13:20   #12
kfranz
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 101
They've currently got a complete lower for $130 and a complete upper for $220. Free shipping on both. You can get into a shootable AR for the same price as they were in the mid-80's.
kfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 20:11   #13
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Got one last spring. Blem upper but not really much of a blemish. I liked the deal!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 00:13   #14
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Got one last spring. Blem upper but not really much of a blemish. I liked the deal!

Nice, simple, clean, not all tricked up!!!!

Old July 19, 2018, 08:23   #15
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Nice, simple, clean, not all tricked up!!!!
Thanks Paul! I do have an ACOG TA01 scope on it now but otherwise, still the same.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

Old July 19, 2018, 09:54   #16
bfoosh006
Registered

FALaholic #: 29366
Quote:
I have a ton of PSA stuff... all of it has been GTG.

Don't let the low prices fool you... Here is the owner talking about his vision AR wise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCzt...&t=0s&index=39
bfoosh006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 10:13   #17
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
IMO most of the "blems" PSA sells are no different then normal PSA products - just sold on sale as "blems" so people who buy at full price don't feel bad.

Smart marketing - I recall people use to get mad at Buddy from Tapco for pre-selling stuff at a high price with his hype and then dropping prices later to generate more sales
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 18:44   #18
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Thanks Paul! I do have an ACOG TA01 scope on it now but otherwise, still the same.
The one I posted up above, has a Bushnell stuck on it, its for mama's truck!!!

I'll be clearing make up, other "droppings" off of it in a couple of months.

Aimpoints are on my "working guns".

Old July 20, 2018, 17:23   #19
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:

I just got my "Blem" clearance upper in this evening and best I can tell, there's nothing wrong with it. Not bad for a complete $199 upper!

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2018, 18:25   #20
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
I just got my "Blem" clearance upper in this evening and best I can tell, there's nothing wrong with it. Not bad for a complete $199 upper!
You got that right! Great price, better than I got.

Old July 21, 2018, 08:00   #21
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
The one I posted up above, has a Bushnell stuck on it, its for mama's truck!!!

I'll be clearing make up, other "droppings" off of it in a couple of months.

Aimpoints are on my "working guns".
Glad to know I am not the only person that has a rifle stashed in lock under back seat of momma's truck. She had to go to her family reunion without me last week and spent several nights visiting family. Wherever she went they have to help her retrieve anything heavy and if parked away from door, or had stairs help her get inside as much past 100 feet in one shot on her cane she is toast. Everywhere she went she said that whoever retrieved her bags would invariably ask why she had and "assault rifle" under her back seat in some special rack. She would tell them it was not an assault rifle but and AR 15 pistol in event her smaller handguns were not enough to command a situation gone bad.

Enough know she had to shoot an off duty cop that tried to kick down her door after stopping her earlier that day. Turns out in investigation they went through his warning book (he wrote warnings instead of tickets to females he planned to visit) he had done the same to several females and was arrested on multiple counts of sexual assault as well as rape to go with the bullet she put though his hip as knew his body armor would stop her 38 special.

She then asks if they wear seat belts which even the liberals do and says there are roughly 20,000 murders per year in U.S., 650,000 missing persons reports of which about 50,000 are never found often presumed dead and about 100,000 forcible rapes. Why click that seat belt if you don't have a gun in reach? Don't include mugging where people were hurt or maimed and other violent crimes. I coined a phrase use in self defense classes that applies to males as well as females. "There is a suprising number of people who's toughest decision for the day is whether the rape you before or after they kill you or both." That grabs folks attention.

She also tells them as well as the AR 15 in the lock there is a bullet resistant vest in the back seat if she isn't wearing it and a second lock for when we travel together there is an AR 15 for each of us to leverage. She says it's funny when she turns ignition on in truck when someone is riding with her and they hear to positive Klick of the AR lock automatically opening. Have police surplus locks that automatically lock when turn vehicle off and unlock when turn ignition on or can override with a key. Spring on them is so positive sounds like a game trap opening or closing.

Wife carries a Walther PK 380 in purse, has second in console and third on passenger side in case getting something out of opposite side and someone suprised her. She is never out of reach of a handgun with spare ammo and never leaves the truck without one or two of her Walthers. Come home often to be told back porch is covered with brass and needs policed up before gets nasty as she was in the mood to run a few mags through one of her AR's to keep sharp. She totally stole my 10.5" Noveske 6.8 AR pistol after running it for her truck. Had to order a 10.5" ARP 6.8 barrel and build a second. Tried switching on her but she likes the extra weight of the fat Noveske barrel to control muzzle climb.

We have mandatory quarterly qualifications at house even though we shoot weekly if not almost daily. We drill for home invasions and more along with how to work from vehicles alone or as a team. Back when I rode bicycles almost every day had a range nearby with a 150 yard cement walkway down center. Would set up targets and practice engaging from moving bicycle riding down the walkway. Used to kill roadside groundhogs with my bicycle pistol regularly. They never heard a well oiled racing bicycle rolling down white stripe till my Beretta would bust their beady heads. We have a stainless 38 in a zip lock baggie in rack hanging from shower hook and even in drawer of half bath. Wife nor I are ever more than one or two steps from a firearm if not carrying.

We have truck AR's, bedside AR's, recliner AR's, kitchen AR, basement AR's, truck AR's and more. Have friends whose wives don't understand and some whose even resist the idea of carrying a firearm. My nieces and nephew were banging out rounds before they were ten years old. My brother never left guns unloaded or locked up but his kids were raised like we were. Dad has guns here and here, if touch without permission it will be better to kill ourselves than be caught. Only time I violated that rule was when they announced start of 1968 Tet offensive. I was five, almost six and misunderstood news and thought the V.C. we're invading U.S. and since dad wasn't home went and got his Smith out of nignt stand and locked all the doors. Family still jokes abut how I was going to hold off the North Vietnamese myself with a snub nosed Smith. Same you have to be careful raising kids around guns now. I was buying centerfire handguns by age 13.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018, 16:46   #22
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

1 rifle, 1 shotgun, at least two hand guns in all vehicles when they leave the property Huey.

One never knows what ones travels will bring them into contact with.

Old July 21, 2018, 23:39   #23
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
I purchased a blemished barreled upper a couple of years ago and I still can't find the blemish.

Old July 22, 2018, 02:11   #24
sharkey
Registered

FALaholic #: 77489
Thumbs up

PSA usually has a good price on the FN Cold Hammer Forged barrels. From what I understand, a bunch of small hammers form the steel around a mandrel to make the barrel. This process work hardens the material, and when the mandrel is removed the rifling is finished and in place. I built a rail gun using one of these barrels, and after 500 rounds its become more accurate than my abilities can present.
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018, 19:23   #25
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Bought three Palmetto receivers and built two and am about to build a third. Milspec, no issues. More minor problems with these bargain lower parts (from other suppliers)kits than anything else.
Old July 23, 2018, 00:22   #26
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Several years ago a couple friends of mine had go 'rounds with Palmetto over different issues, back before I had ever dealt with them.

I can't say they've ever done me wrong. Always been happy with their products and service...from a financial standpoint, my wife hates 'em. 😁
And she is such a nice lady too.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote