Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old July 09, 2018, 22:11   #1
madmax_fal
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 78386
Thoughts on Aimpoint Pro

Considering a Pro for an AR optic. Weight isn't my biggest concern, my priorities are durability and compatibility with night vision in the future. If anyone has tried a Pro but prefers something else, what was it and why?

(obviously talking short range here, <100 yards)

“Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath”

James 1:19
madmax_fal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 11:55   #2
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
I have one and it is nice, however I am finding on ARs I prefer the high end micro red dots better (Trijicon RMR, Leupold Deptapoint pro, Vortex razor). They are smaller, lighter and priced the same or lower. Another option I like is the Meprolight RDS, in fact I have many of them and only 1 PRO.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 13:10   #3
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
I have at least 4 Aimpoint Pros, excellent optic.

Nothing wrong with micros or reflex sights, I have these as well but prefer the Aimpoint Pro by far on most guns and all ARs. Battery life, durability, reliability and a few other things make the Pro my go to optic.
Old July 10, 2018, 14:30   #4
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Have on on my Daniel Defense. Very nice for the price.
Old July 10, 2018, 18:35   #5
plinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 8679
Compared to an EO tech 512, the pro is more compact, more durable overall and has a lot better battery life. I dont care for the on/off switch that well, but a person can just leave it on if need be without draining the battery. The ring/mount it comes with is fairly decent too.

I did buy the see-thru lens cap for the front so the caps can be left on and not gather dust, ete... well worth the extra 20$ IMO.

The EO tech using AA's was nice as they're common, I liked the on/off location better then the Aimpoint. The 65moa circle around the dot was something I also liked (or just got used to).
plinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 18:44   #6
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
I run one on my pistol and would not be without it ! Great,fast and crisp. What more do you want ?
Old July 10, 2018, 20:05   #7
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
mine works perfectly as designed
rugged
battle tested
battery life is crazy long

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2018, 20:45   #8
madmax_fal
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 78386
Thanks guys! I'm going with the Pro

“Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath”

James 1:19
madmax_fal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2018, 11:39   #9
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
Pro has advantage over RMR in that the LED can't be obscured by debris, ice, etc. If dirt falls onto an RMR it covers the LED, no dot. Would take a lot of dirt to clog the lenses of a PRO.
ByronF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2018, 14:51   #10
Bones2586
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76766
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax_fal View Post
Thanks guys! I'm going with the Pro
I think you will be happy with it. I run one on my duty AR and it has held up very well, holds zero with no issues.
Bones2586 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 02:44   #11
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I know the military uses both the Aimpoint and EO Tech. I’ve used both and like both. Each has its pluses and minuses. Over all though, I think the Aimpoint has a lot going for it. The only thing I really didn’t care for was the mount the military uses because it has big old knob that sticks out that would hang up on my gear and caused a lot of pain to my hand when I would hit it while hitting the bolt release.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2018, 08:30   #12
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Mine were all COMP Ms, but other than battery, I think they are the same as the pro. Pro also has night vision settings?

I prefer the larger unit on ARs, compared to the micro. I love the micro forward mounted on the AK, but on the AR I like the wider field of view, and the ability to incorporate night vision. But I generally run a IR laser with head mounted NVGs instead of mounting with an aimpoint on the rifle.
Old July 16, 2018, 20:06   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Past couple of years have made night vision a priority so wife and I each have two helmets with night vision monoculars, one with starlight technology and one with thermal each (adapted Leupold Trackers to Norotos mounts). Have added a redundant spare starlight helmet that travels with us if go anywhere significant distance from the Ponderosa. Before dropping cash on monoculars had put our eggs in weapons mounted starlight scopes, Gen 2+ 4x on 16" and 6x on 18" White Oak Armament barrel builds plus a Gen 2+ 6x on 7.62 NATO Springfield M1a.

Really became clear during a drill at a friends range wife and I had real trouble picking up objects with both scopes and using night vision compatible 1x devices with monocular over weak eye. We ran same couse using borrowed rifle with I.R. laser and times/scores went up dramatically. If zombies are over the fence making fast approach to house or God forbid already inside the I.R. lasers really shine. Have several 1x optics that are night vision compatible but with monoculars mounted over weak eye ergonomics suck but work fine over weak eye with laser.

After saying would not go back to I.R. scopes ended up with four ATN X Sight I.R. scopes in super deals came across so cheap had to buy and do fine for coyote duty around the house. Because leaned on weapons mounted night vision for so long set up all helmets where monoculars flipped down over weak eye so could properly shoulder rifle for scopes.

Ordered two more I.R./green visible laser combinations last week which will bring us up to six rifles with I.R. lasers as found them absolutely necessary for fastest target acquisition in certain situations. Since 95%+ of actual night shooting is coyotes lurking in edge of tree line just past fence and across into far corners of neighbors yards had become accustomed to using starlight scopes. Allow much better target identification (don't want to zap their yip dog if out of fence) to thread shot between trees and brush to keep the coyotes out of our part of neighborhood was most needed ability and got mental tunnel vision as varmint were all really used night vision for.

Have found uses for the I.R. scopes 3-14x and 5-20x (needs big power illuminator), starlight, I.R. lasers and night vision compatible 1x dot optics. All have strengths and weaknesses which take actual use to learn what each excels at and which are multipurpose. If was a combat troop in the field with Uncle Sugar paying for gear of choice a dual tube night vision goggle setup with I.R laser and Elcan SpecterDR or SpecterTR would be my choice. Can use the laser for run and gun and drop to the Elcan Specter for precision shooting. Unfortunately few of us have Uncle Sugar buying our gear and most combat troops fight with what issued.

For the O.P. would choose the red dot you liked the best in your price range for daylight work that has night vision capability. Then nail a laser on forearm so monocular/goggles are not clanking against top of rifle when trying to weld cheek to stock unless really need to use the daytime optic. Wife had me write my letter to Santa with five items of varied price range. At top of list is a dual tube ATN PS15-WPT goggle setup. Maybe I have been a good enough kid to get top choice. Number two is an ATN PVS14/6015-WPT monocular which saves her two grand and get same technology.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote