The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old October 09, 2017, 19:57   #1
Taco reynolds
Registered

FALaholic #: 75601
AR180 Sterling value

I took a Sterling in on a trade over a dozen years ago. Itís not pristine, but a clean rifle. I canít find much recent sales history on them. Most auctions I see start at $999 and seem to peter out a bit. I assume Costa Mesaís command the highest prices? Are they around 1 to 1.1k for a fairly quick sale?
Taco reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2017, 20:09   #2
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
Seems right. How many mags you have?
They are the bottleneck.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 09, 2017, 20:17   #3
Taco reynolds
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
Seems right. How many mags you have?
They are the bottleneck.
1 factory 20.
Old October 11, 2017, 17:57   #4
lockjaw
Registered

FALaholic #: 64904
The Sterling rifles are less desirable to those who are familiar with AR-180 rifles, as the build quality isn't as consistent as the earlier rifles (Costa Mesa and Howa). They are for the most part solid rifles, and should prove to be a fun shooter for the new owner.

If you were to sell the rifle, be sure to take solid pictures of overall condition. Highlight that the folding hinge assemlby for the buttstock isn't tweaked and/or has cracked welds. The bolt hold open device is often damaged, so pix showing that the trigger group/BHO assembly isn't jacked up will give the prospective buyer more confidence. Of course, ensuring that the bore is not pitted helps too.

Original AR-180 magazines can be worth a decent $, some more so than others (depending on manufacture and markings) That said, aftermarket and modified mags are not uncommon.

An excellent original Sterling AR-180 should sell for around $1200. A shooter grade will sell for $1000, but it may not be a quick sale (recent experience). The Sterling rifles are common, and the high dollar collector isn't likely to pony up for one.

Add at least $200 to the above for a Costa Mesa or Howa, an exceptional example of either should pull $1500 (possibly more at auction).

Accessories like original mounts/scopes will boost the selling price significantly.

I have owned a couple Sterling AR-180 rifles, which I sold. I have a minty Costa-Mesa that is a safe queen and a shooter Howa that eats it's share of ammo. I enjoy taking the Howa out along with a Daweoo K2 when I want a break away from optics and ho-hum AR-15 fodder.
lockjaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 13:08   #5
Taco reynolds
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
The Sterling rifles are less desirable to those who are familiar with AR-180 rifles, as the build quality isn't as consistent as the earlier rifles (Costa Mesa and Howa). They are for the most part solid rifles, and should prove to be a fun shooter for the new owner.

If you were to sell the rifle, be sure to take solid pictures of overall condition. Highlight that the folding hinge assemlby for the buttstock isn't tweaked and/or has cracked welds. The bolt hold open device is often damaged, so pix showing that the trigger group/BHO assembly isn't jacked up will give the prospective buyer more confidence. Of course, ensuring that the bore is not pitted helps too.

Original AR-180 magazines can be worth a decent $, some more so than others (depending on manufacture and markings) That said, aftermarket and modified mags are not uncommon.

An excellent original Sterling AR-180 should sell for around $1200. A shooter grade will sell for $1000, but it may not be a quick sale (recent experience). The Sterling rifles are common, and the high dollar collector isn't likely to pony up for one.

Add at least $200 to the above for a Costa Mesa or Howa, an exceptional example of either should pull $1500 (possibly more at auction).

Accessories like original mounts/scopes will boost the selling price significantly.

I have owned a couple Sterling AR-180 rifles, which I sold. I have a minty Costa-Mesa that is a safe queen and a shooter Howa that eats it's share of ammo. I enjoy taking the Howa out along with a Daweoo K2 when I want a break away from optics and ho-hum AR-15 fodder.
Thank you sir that is great information. Iím going to post pics and post for sale here. Thanks again!
Old October 12, 2017, 16:04   #6
gentlemanjoe
Registered

FALaholic #: 77676
Not to take away from your thread but I have what appear to be 2 Sterling 45 round aluminum magazines in excellent shape. Floor plates say:

By
Sterling ENGLAND

Sterling is within a box.

Would these be made for the AR 180 and what would they be worth.
gentlemanjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 17:08   #7
lockjaw
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanjoe View Post
Not to take away from your thread but I have what appear to be 2 Sterling 45 round aluminum magazines in excellent shape. Floor plates say:

By
Sterling ENGLAND

Sterling is within a box.

Would these be made for the AR 180 and what would they be worth.
The 40 rounds sell in the same ballpark as the 30 round Sterlings (which have come in aluminum and steel). They sell in the $50-$75 range.

The earlier US manufactured 20 round mags can be worth $100+++ in top shape. Some are worth $50 or so (time frame of the more common Sterling rifles). There are variations, but that would be a whole new thread.
Old October 12, 2017, 23:03   #8
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Dont let mags be the hold up on these ...All these mags are is M16 mags that have another cut in the other side ... I know for a fact that you can converted m16 mags very quick into them with basic tools or even faster if you have a decent machine shope

Also at one point the IMI AR mags were cut for both .No idea why as Isreal never issued it so who knows ..But at one point PSA was blowing out the IMI mags for under 8 bucks each

Sure the 40 round etc mags are pricy

But ulike other pre ban mags ( aham HK93 etc ) mags should not be the hold up on thse

They are very fun guns with a cool history and 900 would be a quick sale

PS stormwerzk made at one point a scope mount for these
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2017, 20:41   #9
lockjaw
Registered

In addition to the cut, and pu also have sold onflatten out the bump around the M16 mag lock hole. This added width may or may not be an issue, depending on the tolerances of the receiver. A M16 mag wil not fit in the magwell of my Howa without force.