Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old September 27, 2018, 10:34   #1
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
FN 50.xx current values

So I pay off the youngest offspring come Jan 1. She finished college last month, told her as her graduation gift I'd keep the stipend I'd been giving her for living expenses going until the end of the year, at which time the financial teat gets retracted, and daddy get's a (SIGNIFICANT) pay raise!

I'm thinking I'd like to try to get my hands on an actual FN, but when I look at GB or even here, I see that pricing is all over the board. I realize that "it's worth whatever someone will pay for it," but still consider myself a novice with the nomenclatures (50.whatevers) and what the values of the various versions are worth. It is my understanding that (generally) all-original folders are worth more than all-original heavies, and both are worth more than standard models (if they aren't on the NFA exception list). First, correct me there if I'm wrong on my ordering.

So 3 parts, answer 1 or all...

1. 'splain to me in the simplest terms what each 50.xx designation represents, and

2. on a riFAL in good to very good condition, give me levels of pricing to you, the "fair market" price, the "he got screwed paying that much" price, and the "I wouldn't pass it up no matter how much I piss off the wife" price of each, and

3. Variations that add or detract from value (i.e. original wood vs plastic/metal furniture, markings, features/deletes, etc.)

As always thanks in advance for the help...
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 11:21   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
50.00- standard rifle
50.41- HB with synthetic butt/wood forearm
50.42- HB with wood stocks
50.61- 21” para
50.63- 18” para
50.64- 21” para, LW lower

50.00s (assuming Type 3)- $3200-4K
50.41s/42s- $3200-3800
50.61 para- $3200-4K
50.63 para- $3500-4.5k
50.64 “Rogak”- $4-6k

All figures are ballpark.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 12:09   #3
Orion the Hunter
Registered

FALaholic #: 62009
Still smiling after all these years :)

Back in ‘88 a bunch of my friends gave me so much whiplash for spending $1900 on a Para FAL. Another one of my FAL-Friends told me that I got suckered because it wasn’t a True Para FAL (it has the short Congo barrel) along with the folding charging Handle that wasn’t standard...it must be a FrankenFAL? Being somewhat embarrassed about getting duped, I haven’t shot it but a couple times and it remains a safe queen.

Only to discover it is considered a “True FN Para” (FN 60.53) because the Congo barrel allows for the troops to exit the doorways of the plane without getting snagged up. All the other Longer Barreled are just considered “Folding Stocked FALs”. It still brings a smile to my face everytime I see the estimated values . Cha-Chinga!

Last edited by Orion the Hunter; September 28, 2018 at 03:44.
Orion the Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 13:20   #4
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
50.00- standard rifle
50.41- HB with synthetic butt/wood forearm
50.42- HB with wood stocks
50.61- 21” para
50.63- 18” para
50.64- 21” para, LW lower

50.00s (assuming Type 3)- $3200-4K
50.41s/42s- $3200-3800
50.61 para- $3200-4K
50.63 para- $3500-4.5k
50.64 “Rogak”- $4-6k

All figures are ballpark.
Thank you very much. Ballpark is what I was wanting, was curious as more chime in if there's a regional component to pricing. I know with the advent of the interwebs that has been mitigated pretty much, but at least worth looking at.
Old September 27, 2018, 14:41   #5
VHart51
Registered

FALaholic #: 81270
Those $$$ are really low compared with what the asking $$$ is on GB. And yes I know asking and getting is two different animals. I've seen some damn good prices from you all here.
VHart51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 14:52   #6
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by VHart51 View Post
Those $$$ are really low compared with what the asking $$$ is on GB. And yes I know asking and getting is two different animals. I've seen some damn good prices from you all here.
To tell the truth, I wouldn't try to sell any of my FALs here unless they were specifically collectible and seeing them go to a good home was more important than $$$.

We's cheap azz bastages

To put it another way, I agree with Valmets evaluations - but recognize that GB attracts buyers who, through ignorance or otherwise, seem to be willing to pay more in many cases.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 15:03   #7
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

I’ve been known to overpay for Type 2s...

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
Old September 27, 2018, 19:34   #8
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
So I pay off the youngest offspring come Jan 1. She finished college last month, told her as her graduation gift I'd keep the stipend I'd been giving her for living expenses going until the end of the year, at which time the financial teat gets retracted, and daddy get's a (SIGNIFICANT) pay raise!

I'm thinking I'd like to try to get my hands on an actual FN, but when I look at GB or even here, I see that pricing is all over the board. I realize that "it's worth whatever someone will pay for it," but still consider myself a novice with the nomenclatures (50.whatevers) and what the values of the various versions are worth. It is my understanding that (generally) all-original folders are worth more than all-original heavies, and both are worth more than standard models (if they aren't on the NFA exception list). First, correct me there if I'm wrong on my ordering.

So 3 parts, answer 1 or all...

1. 'splain to me in the simplest terms what each 50.xx designation represents, and

2. on a riFAL in good to very good condition, give me levels of pricing to you, the "fair market" price, the "he got screwed paying that much" price, and the "I wouldn't pass it up no matter how much I piss off the wife" price of each, and

3. Variations that add or detract from value (i.e. original wood vs plastic/metal furniture, markings, features/deletes, etc.)

As always thanks in advance for the help...
As far as desirability goes, it is my experience that 50.00s actually seem more sought-after than the others with the HBs lagging behind, simply because it’s a 12-lb semi-auto. Cool yes, but tend to sit longer than the other models esp in the current market.

If I could pick any of the commercial Type 3s, the 50.00 would be it. A clean Gun South just sold in the marketplace for $3200 a week or so ago.

Old October 23, 2018, 10:51   #9
StevoMT
Registered

FALaholic #: 42569
Just started my 50.64 out on GB for 1 penny-no reserve...

I guess I we will find out what my beautiful FAL is "worth". Really hate to sell, but I have retired and this is an asset that I gathered for this time in my life.
I thought I would have kept it longer, but is just a "thing" and I was lucky to possess it for a time.
I like to wonder where these rifles will be as the years go by. They surface, then disappear into collections.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789505974
StevoMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 13:16   #10
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
GLWS, beautiful Para.
Old October 23, 2018, 13:52   #11
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevoMT View Post
I guess I we will find out what my beautiful FAL is "worth". Really hate to sell, but I have retired and this is an asset that I gathered for this time in my life.
I thought I would have kept it longer, but is just a "thing" and I was lucky to possess it for a time.
I like to wonder where these rifles will be as the years go by. They surface, then disappear into collections.
She's a beaut indeed. Unfortunately I won't be in a position to purchase for a few more months. GLWS none the less, somebody is going to be real happy with that one.
Old October 23, 2018, 16:30   #12
fnbelgian
Registered

FALaholic #: 53094
Quote:
well, i guarantee you it will go for at least 4500... bare minimum.
fnbelgian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 16:39   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
To tell the truth, I wouldn't try to sell any of my FALs here unless they were specifically collectible and seeing them go to a good home was more important than $$$.

We's cheap azz bastages

To put it another way, I agree with Valmets evaluations - but recognize that GB attracts buyers who, through ignorance or otherwise, seem to be willing to pay more in many cases.
Agree. Most here are like vultures waiting on a deal. Me included.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 16:39   #14
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbelgian View Post
well, i guarantee you it will go for at least 4500... bare minimum.
or $4550.
Old October 23, 2018, 17:25   #15
fnbelgian
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
or $4550.
thats the BARE minimum... i bet it hits 5k or close to it.
Old October 23, 2018, 18:00   #16
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbelgian View Post
thats the BARE minimum... i bet it hits 5k or close to it.
But only on GB

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2018, 18:02   #17
fnbelgian
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
But only on GB
gunbroker is more accurate than the market place here... only cheap bastards here. myself included.
Old October 24, 2018, 06:55   #18
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Quote:
Wow, great old piece of history. If I still lived in Missoula and worked for the railroad, I'd definitely bid. Thanks for sharing the link. Fall colors look good this year, as does the Type II.
Southern 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote