The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The SIG Files

Notices

Old April 23, 2019, 23:23   #1
immigrunt
Registered

FALaholic #: 9110
SIG P226 - Yes it is a handgun - Question

So, I have entire spare parts kits for my 1911s and ARs.

But I have this expensive, beautiful, wickedly accurate SIG P226 .40 and thus my question:

Which critical parts should I acquire as spares?

Thanks in advance!
I would gladly lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I will take up my battle rifle and thank God that He has put it within my grasp. Thomas Paine
immigrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019, 06:21   #2
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
I bought mine used, came from Minnesota SP I was told. That was 15 years ago. Not certain of round count, but one year I put 38,000 through it. Never had to replace anything. Itís pretty tired now, but still all original parts.
Old April 24, 2019, 07:14   #3
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
transfer bar spring
recoil spring
breechblock pin inner/outer if stamped
maybe mag catch cover plate
Old April 24, 2019, 09:35   #4
Elwarpo
Registered

FALaholic #: 38498
Only thing I have ever replaced in my 226 and 229 was the recoil spring. Both are 10-30 years old and have seen multiple thousands of rounds.

ďThe only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothingĒ Edmund Burke
Elwarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019, 15:41   #5
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
I had to replace the recoil spring in mine back in the late 1990's. I don't know how many rounds it had through it at that time but it was a bunch. I have probably put another 10,000 rounds through it since then with no issues. I spoke to someone at SIG at the time and they said the recoil spring should be replaced every 5,000 rounds. I doubt that is true but I think the recoil spring is definitely something worth having a spare for.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2019, 16:46   #6
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I spoke to someone at SIG at the time and they said the recoil spring should be replaced every 5,000 rounds. .

Then Iím something like 60,000 rounds past due. But then again the whole gun is tired.
Old April 26, 2019, 08:04   #7
2Adefender
More ammo please
Contributor

FALaholic #: 62519
Recoil spring
Firing pin
Firing pin spring
Trigger bar spring
Maybe a spare extractor
Old April 26, 2019, 08:09   #8
Shootability
shootabilityusa.com
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6448
My 9mm has a high round count - recoil spring and decocker spring and you need the pins that hold the breach block in place - in my 9mm if I shoot a lot of +p ammo I will start to get light strikes when they bend - might not be a problem on the 40 - mine was one of the early imports via Herndon VA.
Shootability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019, 12:20   #9
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Actually, sell it and buy a 9mm Sig P226. That way you won't need spares ever..

One of these days I need to drag my 226 and 228 out of the safe again, and shoot them. Bought both of them around 1993-94. And I just bought one of the new US made 210 Targets. Time for a Sig range day!
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019, 04:54   #10
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Actually, sell it and buy a 9mm Sig P226. That way you won't need spares ever..
He can get 9mm conversion barrels for his 226...
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019, 09:02   #11
sharkey
Registered

FALaholic #: 77489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
I bought mine used, came from Minnesota SP I was told. That was 15 years ago. Not certain of round count, but one year I put 38,000 through it. Never had to replace anything. Itís pretty tired now, but still all original parts.
WOW 38000/12 is 3200 rounds a month.
sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2019, 15:59   #12
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I have a P226 with the date code JG (1986). I have never replaced anything but then I doubt that it has had even 2000 rounds through it since I bought it NIB.

A friend of mine fell in love with my P226 and rushed out and bought a new one for himself. I cautioned him about proper cleaning and lubing. Also about using standard pressure ammo for practice with only limited use of the higher pressure +P ammo. So he bought a bunch of CorBon 115 and 124 grain JHP from a FFL dealer going out of business. Then he started shooting these rounds on a regular basis for practice.

Apparently my warning about proper cleaning/lubing/ammo choices went in one ear and out of the other. In less than one year the P226 was showing very heavy wear on the frame rails and the extractor and ejector. Some people just never learn it seems. He ended up cracking one of the frame rails (it had the mud cutouts) and started calling the Sig a piece of junk. Oh well....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019, 08:30   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
WOW 38000/12 is 3200 rounds a month.
When time allows at work and life it's not uncommon for me to shoot 500 to 1,000 rounds per week. Seldom is that kept up for months on end as life throws stuff at you but at one point in time I had a 500 round per week minimum with the occasional 500 round day on a nice Saturday just through my unlimited and limited IPSC pistols not counting rounds fired when competing. I replaced springs every 10,000 rounds plus inspected all wear parts and was having to refresh a pistol every quarter.

Before wife's wreck and last flare up of lumbar spine issues held my 500 round Monday through Friday plus another 100 every Saturday round count just through 1911 carry pistols for over two years. It's not hard to do but what I learned is can run 25,000 or more rounds through a good pistol but as springs weaken slide begins pounding on frame, trigger gets sloppy and gun wear accelerates. A pistol refreshed every 10,000 to 25,000 rounds can look nearly brand new except finish wear with minimal measurable wear. If same pistol runs 50,000 plus rounds without a complete respring and replacement of wear parts it will wear so much it becomes so worn it's difficult to fix without having frame to slide fit adjusted, total rebuild and still may find a cracked frame/slide that has to be replaced.

My rule is clean weekly if shooting high round counts, recoil spring every 5,000 of major power factor ammo, repspring entire pistol every 10,000 to 15,000 and refresh wear parts at 25,000 will keep even a high strung, low trigger pull competition pistol running for decades.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019, 10:00   #14
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
If I own a gun I really like then the parts set is another gun just like it.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2019, 10:38   #15
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
That's sort of my approach too...

And then I buy some extra parts anyway...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 10:07   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
We have a winner. Now between over 50 1911's plus OEM parts removed for customizing a few frames and could add another dozen. When purchased my first SIG 2022 (also my first 40 Smith) took it to work and ran a 250 round value pack of white box ammo from Walmart through it. Went back to LGS bought the other in cabinet and then stopped at Walmart for two more bulk packs of ammo. Now have four in 40, three in 9mm and one in 357 SIG. Anytime see a deal in a used one will keep bringing them home. Replaced all the plastic recoil spring guides with stainless along with recoil springs in two from use already so parts are beginning to grow around the pistols.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 11:10   #17
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I used to shoot competition and kept spare parts to keep my 1911 running. I used a stock 1911 that was just the same as my carry gun at the time. Training with one gun and seeing how it wears and what can go wrong yet having a fresh handgun when you might need one.

Today I don't shoot competition and don't carry a 1911 but I do have two of the same carry gun. If one breaks I have a spare that is very very close to the same gun.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2019, 15:45   #18
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Quote:
I used to shoot competition and kept spare parts to keep my 1911 running. I used a stock 1911 that was just the same as my carry gun at the time. Training with one gun and seeing how it wears and what can go wrong yet having a fresh handgun when you might need one.

Today I don't shoot competition and don't carry a 1911 but I do have two of the same carry gun. If one breaks I have a spare that is very very close to the same gun.
One is none and two is one.
Old May 05, 2019, 09:10   #19
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
Have a p229 40 cal . . . . since 1995.
Never tracked the rounds . . . . but it did got shot !
Have replaced ALL springs and extractor.

Past that....... like many above ^^^^^^^ have said
you take care of it, and it will take care of you.
Scout10 is offline   Reply With Quote