Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old November 26, 2017, 11:38   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Savage 10 BA Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor.

Picked up a new Savage for the herd yesterday.
Made a couple of changes on the Savage Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. Replaced the crappy butt stock with my favorite, the XLR and added a SEI vortex to the muzzle.
Ran another 20 rnds today. This rifle , almost, shoots itself. What a joy. Throws the AR-500 prairie dogs at 150 yds farther than the 30-06. This little baby has some serious whoop arse.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 12:08   #2
olgier
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 17951
someday I will have one of those. lol

I like it!
“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play. The tune does not matter, so long it is the only one the public is allowed to hear. Eventually they will all dance.” – Joseph Goebbels

"And if you believe ANYTHING a musloid or a Marxist tells you, even about simple, rudimentary arithmetic, you deserve whatever hell you get." - Ann Barnhardt
olgier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 14:33   #3
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Picked up a new Savage for the herd yesterday.
Made a couple of changes on the Savage Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor. Replaced the crappy butt stock with my favorite, the XLR and added a SEI vortex to the muzzle.
Semper Fi
Art
Have the XLR Element stock on my Bergara LRP in 6 Creedmoor. Love it. They make a quality product.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 15:59   #4
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeguy View Post
Have the XLR Element stock on my Bergara LRP in 6 Creedmoor. Love it. They make a quality product.
Borrowed this one off one of my Bula Defense XM21s. Just ordered a replacement.
I don't believe there is a more stable buttstock available. I had the fancy Magpul on the XM21 for a time, but just didn't feel right. I really like all the adjustments on the XLR. Even get it to fit my chubby mug.

Semper Fi
Art
Old November 26, 2017, 19:51   #5
Merl
Registered

FALaholic #: 17774
Is that a savage made chassis that takes AR parts & mags?
Merl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 20:09   #6
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Is that a savage made chassis that takes AR parts & mags?
No. XLR Industries makes monolithic chassis' for a number of actions. Happened to be the chassis that my Bergara B-17 bolt action came with from the factory.

As Art said, he's used it on this Savage and Bula XM21.

https://xlrindustries.com/collections/chassis
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017, 20:51   #7
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
You probably already know this, but make sure you try out the full range of bullet weights to find out which your rifle likes best. And that can take some close inspections to see the difference. My RPR likes the 130 to 143 grain bullets. The heavier 147 grain stuff opens the groups about a ½ MOA. 129 and lighter works well out to 200 yds but really opens up beyond that distance, close to ¾ to 1 MOA out to 600 yards. Of course this may be the shooter and environment and not the ammo, but it does seem to be consistent on different shooting days and conditions.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017, 05:34   #8
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
You probably already know this, but make sure you try out the full range of bullet weights to find out which your rifle likes best. And that can take some close inspections to see the difference. My RPR likes the 130 to 143 grain bullets. The heavier 147 grain stuff opens the groups about a ½ MOA. 129 and lighter works well out to 200 yds but really opens up beyond that distance, close to ¾ to 1 MOA out to 600 yards. Of course this may be the shooter and environment and not the ammo, but it does seem to be consistent on different shooting days and conditions.
Thanks for the advice. My experimenting with this caliber is just in it's infancy.
Being a reloader and experience with .308 and .223 this one is icing on the cake.
All first hand information is appreciated. That from the boogey woogey google boys from company Z is generally rejected on the spot.

Semper Fi
Art
Old November 30, 2017, 18:14   #9
55bird
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 799
Nice stuff, glad someone else is into these for I am an amateur learning as I go.
Dang good looking set up.
Old December 02, 2017, 21:27   #10
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1841
How did you decide to select the Savage over, say, the River Precision Rifle? I keep vacillating between these two.
Old December 03, 2017, 05:40   #11
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratas calientes View Post
How did you decide to select the Savage over, say, the River Precision Rifle? I keep vacillating between these two.
Had a fellow on my range with one in .308 let me give it a go. Just like the feel of the rifle. I knew right away what I was going to do for a butt stock. Replace the original with the XLR.
Since the photo above , I have added a Precision armament M11 Severe-Duty Muzzle brake.
I think perhaps the fact that I also have other Savage 10 and 110 rifles that it added to my choice.