The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old July 16, 2017, 19:06   #1
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
School me on my Asslar/Wetzlar Scope - What am I?

I recently purchased an Asslar/Wetzlar scope mounted on an original G3 claw type mount. I thought it was pretty neat that the scope also has a Bundeswehr eagle proof. I admittedly know next to nothing about these scopes and I am wondering if this would have been issued for a G3 as currently mounted. I know they were used on FALs but I didn’t realize they were used on G3s as well. Most of the photos posted and referenced here are gone due to Photophucket. I am looking for some education on this topic, what can you tell me about this scope?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wetzlar_Scope_001.jpg (229.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Wetzlar_Scope_002.jpg (220.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg Wetzlar_Scope_003.jpg (225.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Wetzlar_Scope_004.jpg (230.0 KB, 133 views)
Old July 16, 2017, 20:30   #2
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
I scored a similar scope on here a few months ago. Sighted in nicely on my G1. I'd love to learn about it's history.

rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 20:40   #3
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
The scope is the first model of three. Yours was early, before they had the rail for the reticle illuminator. These were primarily developed and used on G3 type rifles, hence the mount. There are thousands of these out there in all three models.

Read here.
http://www.mg-42.net/G3_hensoldt.htm

And here.
http://mg-42.net/G3_scope.htm

FYI, your scope's caps are on crooked. The notch in the bottom aligns with the leg of the mount. These caps are rare and often rotted and broken. Therefore, in demand, as you have recently learned. I pulled mine off and store them in the scope's original case for safe keeping and have installed modern caps.
Old July 16, 2017, 21:12   #4
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkshooter View Post
FYI, your scope's caps are on crooked. The notch in the bottom aligns with the leg of the mount. These caps are rare and often rotted and broken. Therefore, in demand, as you have recently learned. I pulled mine off and store them in the scope's original case for safe keeping and have installed modern caps.
Thank you sir. Thanks for the link. So they had several manufacturers, i.e., mine is a Karl Kaps by Asslar/Wetzlar while rbgonoles is a Hensoldt/Wetzlar Perhaps that is where some of my confusion came from as people seem to use the generic term "Hensoldt" when referring to these scopes.

I could tell the lens caps were crooked. But I am going to have to carefully remove them as they are "stuck" on the tube.

Last edited by G3isMe; July 16, 2017 at 21:19.
G3isMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2017, 21:20   #5
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
Thank you sir. Thanks for the link. So they had several manufacturers, i.e., mine is a Karl Kaps by Asslar/Wetzlar while rbgonoles is a Hensoldt/Wetzlar Perhaps that is where some of my confusion came from as people seem to use the generic term "Hensoldt" when referring to these scopes.

Different contracts for the same item, much like US military contracts with multiple makers for the same item.
Steiner made them, too. Many of those were green.
Old July 16, 2017, 21:29   #6
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
The yellow sticker on these German scopes stands for Bundesamt für Wehrtechnik und Beschaffun. Which means German Military (Heers) in general.
Old July 17, 2017, 07:30   #7
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
G-3 Scopes

Those G-3 scopes were NEVER used by German Military on the FN-Fal G-1's. It's only people that have adapted the G-3 scopes to Belgium Stanag mounts.

Now to people that have G-3 scopes on HK scope mounts that have different manufactures scopes like HKshooter and DakTo pointed out. PRICE IS BASED ON OVERALL CONDITION and sometimes the rarity of the item.

In my collection of scopes I have Hensoldt Marked MP-5, Hensoldt marked ZF 33,s and all the different variants of the Hensoldt G-3 scopes and their was three variants.All have the scopes mounts and cans with bits. Also have a Green Steiner 4x24 stanag scope.
Old July 17, 2017, 09:23   #8
K.O.A.M.
Registered

FALaholic #: 8025
I have one of those scopes in one of the Argentine top cover mounts sold by Sarco. Works great for me. The Argentine mounts were supposedly for night vision, but they fit the German ex-Bundeswehr scopes fine.