The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old July 10, 2017, 20:11   #1
chasengineering
Registered

FALaholic #: 43757
NY compliant fixed Magazine

Hello Gentlemen, I need your help and ideas. I just bought a STG kit from the Marketplace. My problem is that I live in the Cuomo communist controlled state of NY, and the magazines need to be a max 10 round fixed into the receiver. Has anyone figured out how to fix the mag into the FAL receiver without permanently damaging the reciever. Something along the lines of the AR maglock. I have my own machine shop and make my own maglocks for the AR-15, but I have not seen and type of similar device for a FAL. Any info out there?
Thanks in advance.
Chas.
chasengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017, 21:15   #2
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
Not a bullet-button, but I made ones like this for my son when he lived in CA. Definitely no where near as fast as a bullet-button. This no longer meets the CA law, haven't looked into the NY law, so I'm not sure.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2017, 15:27   #3
Root66
Registered

FALaholic #: 65757
Just replace the release lever spring with a 1/8" pin of the correct length and install a stripper clip top cover.
Old July 11, 2017, 16:30   #4
chasengineering
Registered

Thanks for your help guys
Old July 11, 2017, 17:08   #5
wolfspotter1
Registered

FALaholic #: 64473
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4markk View Post
Not a bullet-button, but I made ones like this for my son when he lived in CA. Definitely no where near as fast as a bullet-button. This no longer meets the CA law, haven't looked into the NY law, so I'm not sure.

I live in NY & did this also. Put the original aside and bought a second one to modify. Found that the magazine's very easy to load through the ejection port.
wolfspotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 06:02   #6
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
Move to a different state.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 07:21   #7
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1769 View Post
Move to a different state.
Y'al need to take back Vermont from the Flower Children (Ethan Allen is rolling over in his grave).

At least all attempts at gun control have failed.

“The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous.” Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
Old July 12, 2017, 07:35   #8
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
A greater question is how do you build it when the NYS open registration for so-called assault rifles has closed? Was the receiver registered previously?
Old July 12, 2017, 07:42   #9
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
Quote:
Y'al need to take back Vermont from the Flower Children (Ethan Allen is rolling over in his grave).

At least all attempts at gun control have failed.
Mark the commonwealth politicians and the liberals of Northern Virginia have not only taken over the state but are slowly chipping away with their gun control agenda. When I lived there, there was still open carry of hand guns prior to 1968.
Old July 12, 2017, 07:45   #10
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Root66 View Post
Just replace the release lever spring with a 1/8" pin of the correct length and install a stripper clip top cover.
What HE said.

I've done this mod to my regular range gun here in the PRC. Picked up a few Canadian stripper clip top covers from DSA a while back. You can always de-neuter at a later date.
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017, 08:52   #11
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
Mark the commonwealth politicians and the liberals of Northern Virginia have not only taken over the state but are slowly chipping away with their gun control agenda. When I lived there, there was still open carry of hand guns prior to 1968.
Open Carry is and has been legal in BOTH Virginia (slight restriction on semi-auto rifles that are loaded with more than 20 rounds carried in metro areas of more than 100,000 people - only concealed handgun permit holders can do that legally) and Vermont (NO restrictions). So, not sure what you are talking about.

ALSO there hasn't been a Gun Control law passed in Virginia in over 20 years. I'm on the front lines of that one, visiting the legislature in Richmond when they are in session. Heck, my Delegate is a Range Buddy.

Old July 12, 2017, 19:34   #12
chasengineering
Registered

NY compliant

Hello Dakto, yes I hate NY!... There are 3 things I learned from being a Startrek fan. The Borg hive is run by a (wifey) queen, you will be assimilated and resistance is futile. Back to the main topic if you fix the magazine before you assemble the rest of the gun it is not in the banned category. the gun can have all of the evil features, except the detachable mag. The parts themselves are not illegal, you can buy all the AR lowers you want over the counter here as long as you fix the 10 round mag before assembly your good to go........
Old July 12, 2017, 20:32   #13
wolfspotter1
Registered

FALaholic #: 64473
I ordered a gas block & welded the gas port to make it a single shot, straight pull action. The fixed mag was just a precautionary measure. Still have original parts put aside.
wolfspotter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 05:49   #14
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
ALSO there hasn't been a Gun Control law passed in Virginia in over 20 years. I'm on the front lines of that one, visiting the legislature in Richmond when they are in session. Heck, my Delegate is a Range Buddy.
Do you also put the fear into their greasy hearts by visiting it naked?
Old July 14, 2017, 15:25   #15
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
The real trick is figuring out a non-permanent way of doing this such as to comply with California's new laws. There must be no way to remove the magazine without disassembly of the action (to include opening it up or separating the upper and lower assemblies).

The only non-permanent alternatives seem to be disassembly, removing parts necessary for function or at least semi-auto function (such as removing the gas piston and spring and setting the plug to the grenade setting), or going "featureless". All to some extent or another render the weapon incapable to use or make it impractical to use.

No one making compliance products for California so far seems to have expressed much interests in coming up with something for the FAL; there's something for the G-3, but not the FAL.
bigstick61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 15:39   #16
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Ok here is the new law in California:

SECTION 1. Section 30515 of the Penal Code is amended to read:

30515. (a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following:[list of comestic features that give leftist nightmares]

[]

(b) For purposes of this section, “fixed magazine” means an ammunition feeding device contained in, or permanently attached to, a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action.

This could be easy for the FAL. If you ran a set screw down the right side of the ejector block you can lock the mag release in place. I'm think cut a half cylinder in the guide post, drill and tap the hole flush on top with the BOH hole on top, and screw in a set screw long enough to prevent the mag release from moving.

Then it would require you disassemble the action to release the mag (break it open, removed the top cover, remove the bolt/carrier group, and remove the set screw).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CA Compliant Ejector-lo.jpg (65.5 KB, 120 views)

Last edited by 4markk; July 14, 2017 at 16:29.
Old July 14, 2017, 16:01   #17
chasengineering
Registered

Thumbs up NY compliant

4Markk thank you for all of the effort you are putting into this for the benefit of the other members, instead of turning this into a romper room post.
The legal statutes you quote, are they from NY or Commiefornia.
Old July 14, 2017, 16:03   #18
sgr
Registered

FALaholic #: 78104
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasengineering View Post
4Markk thank you for all of the effort you are putting into this for the benefit of the other members, instead of turning this into a romper room post.

+ 1 .
sgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 16:28   #19
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasengineering View Post
They are for the LEFT Coast. I believe NY's are less strict. It is my understanding that both of my ideas would work for NY. BUT the ejector block one would probably be without a doubt.

Thanks for the kind words. I've spent a career helping people behind enemy lines. That is where the most impact is made. (Besides if we tie the enemy up in a smaller area, they can't expand into others ;-)

Old July 15, 2017, 01:29   #20
bigstick61
Registered

4markk, are you saying to drill a hole that goes halfway through that protruding piece there? I really want to avoid drilling the ejector block if at all possible (which is why I said that there are no good options without permanently modifying stuff), but I do have a center receiver section with the ejector block that I might try this out on to see if it works. Certainly, it's better to do something to the ejector block than the receiver.
Old July 15, 2017, 08:13   #21
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
I really want to avoid drilling the ejector block if at all possible (which is why I said that there are no good options without permanently modifying stuff),
It would be extremely difficult to comply with a law that requires a "permanent" change in how a rifle was designed to function without permanently altering at lease one part. Of course the work "permanent" has several definitions.

I have a couple mid-sections I may play with. The 2nd order affect I am concerned with my design would be the set screw walking out and hitting the bolt. Therefore, I would recommend the head of the screw is well below the top of the ejector block and probably use blue LocTight.

Old July 15, 2017, 08:41   #22
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
If you ran a set screw down the right side of the ejector block you can lock the mag release in place. I'm think cut a half cylinder in the guide post, drill and tap the hole flush on top with the BOH hole on top, and screw in a set screw long enough to prevent the mag release from moving.

Then it would require you disassemble the action to release the mag (break it open, removed the top cover, remove the bolt/carrier group, and remove the set screw).

Good thinking, but it could be a spring loaded plunger like an FN 49 bolt hold open.
Old July 15, 2017, 16:42   #23
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
It would be extremely difficult to comply with a law that requires a "permanent" change in how a rifle was designed to function without permanently altering at lease one part. Of course the work "permanent" has several definitions.

I have a couple mid-sections I may play with. The 2nd order affect I am concerned with my design would be the set screw walking out and hitting the bolt. Therefore, I would recommend the head of the screw is well below the top of the ejector block and probably use blue LocTight.
The law doesn't require a "permanent" change; all it cares about is that as configured it does not have features X, Y, and Z, or it lacks a certain capability.

Permanent, in any case, does not mean irreversible. I guess I'm more concerned with the latter than the former. It's not like there's anyone making quality FAL parts in substantial quantities these days. If we were talking about a dime-a-dozen sort of AR-15, I would care far less about that.
Old July 15, 2017, 17:34   #24
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

In pondering this a bit more - I don't have a specific way of doing it right now, but my thought is, a spring loaded plunger that introduces a mag catch block when the upper and lower are together. Break the upper open and the pin pops up, unblocking the mag catch.
Old July 15, 2017, 19:57   #25
NFADLR
curmudgeon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7480
So like this somewhat for the AR but drilled and tapped into the top of the e block...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
In pondering this a bit more - I don't have a specific way of doing it right now, but my thought is, a spring loaded plunger that introduces a mag catch block when the upper and lower are together. Break the upper open and the pin pops up, unblocking the mag catch.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411469
#MakeFoodGreatAgain

Last edited by NFADLR; July 15, 2017 at 20:13.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2017, 20:06   #26
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
The law doesn't require a "permanent" change; all it cares about is that as configured it does not have features X, Y, and Z, or it lacks a certain capability.
Of course it does. Do we really want to debate the legal meaning of "permanent"? Nothing is "permanent" in the strict meaning of the word. Especially nothing made by man. Anything can be changed and changed back, or changed into something else.

Permanent in a legal sense is based on intent. As in there is no intent to change from one state to another.

Quote:
Interesting idea. Would be easier with an Argie cut receiver and Argie lower with the cross pin.

Old July 16, 2017, 16:34   #27
Root66
Registered

FALaholic #: 65757
Bottom line, just about any ham-fisted DOJ or ATF who is going to check for a non-removable magazine is most likely gonna try to remove the mag by depressing the release lever; if depressing the lever won't allow the mag to be removed the issue will probably be settled.

Only under a more extreme "cavity search" type of investigation will the issue of "permanent" be debated.
Old July 16, 2017, 19:49   #28
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFADLR View Post
So like this somewhat for the AR but drilled and tapped into the top of the e block...

Wow - very clever. On the FAL the hinge is behind the mag catch, so that won't work, but that's exactly the principle I had in mind.

For those who can't seem to rent that U-Haul.
Old July 16, 2017, 22:47   #29
NFADLR
curmudgeon
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7480
Thanks, BTW I have a 53 ft trailer loaded and ready I just am having an issue selling the land.

When the land sells I won't be needing a uhaul truck I own my own I'm looking for a good Pete 3 axle at the moment know any COE Tractors for sale somewhere between you and I ?

Quote:
Wow - very clever. On the FAL the hinge is behind the mag catch, so that won't work, but that's exactly the principle I had in mind.

For those who can't seem to rent that U-Haul.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411469
#MakeFoodGreatAgain
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 04:48   #30
fullauto
Almost Retired
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 467
When faced with the same situation and not much time to remedy, I came up with this fix. Some may not want to D&T the receiver. I tried unsuccessfully with the allen screw thru the mag catch,then tried this approach. Ten rd DSA mag locked in. I drilled and tapped the side of the DSA receiver for the allen,then I snapped the mag in, and I drilled a dimple in the mag catch,put in the allen with blue locktite and use a stripper clip top cover. When the rifle gets to free america,it will convert in 2 mins. I will use a plug screw in place of the allen. I wouldn't have done this to a FN receiver ,but a DSA-Yeah. One gets to keep all the evil features(except detachable mag)and no need to register as its fixed mag.

Last edited by fullauto; July 17, 2017 at 05:00.
fullauto is offline   Reply With Quote