The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old October 21, 2017, 14:14   #1
mjkelly
Registered

FALaholic #: 8021
Downsizing my SA58 medium contour rifle

I have a DSA SA58 medium contour 21" rifle made/bought c. 2003. I am interested in making it a bit more "handy" in the field and less of a heavy range plinker. My thought is that getting a good 18" standard weight length setup would be the ticket. Some things I have in mind:

A chrome-lined barrel.
A good folding stock (although this might mean changing the bolt carrier, etc.)
A good muzzle brake or flash hider.
Perhaps hand guards with rails for mounting a light or whatever.

Any suggestions on how to look into this, and what the most cost-effective (but quality) approach might be? This is sort of a wide-open request for insight.

Thanks,
MK
mjkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017, 14:18   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I think you have to be the earliest member/lurked who finally submitted his 1st post.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017, 14:48   #3
OLDMANPBK
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Just a thought.

COBC #4
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2017, 18:16   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
You're looking for a Para with an 18" barrel, preferably Imbel. Put a WTB in the Marketplace forum and see what comes up.

Keep the heavy Pogue for the range or sell it to fund the Para. I'd keep the Pogue.

I am likely the only Files member that is not a fan of the Para so have little idea about cost of converting your DSA. I would estimate $500 to $600 as a terribly rough guess. Not worth the cost in my opinion.

OLDMANPBK's SCAR sounds like what you are looking for if the cost of such is not a problem. It is for me.
Old October 21, 2017, 22:05   #5
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
Just a thought.
+ 1. Changing over to the Scar 17 and 16.

Which is why I am getting rid of most of my FAL & L1A1 rifles and parts kits. Just have to find a bunch of small parts to complete the kits and then I’ll be selling them.
raexcct2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017, 14:53   #6
Sword of Justice
Registered

FALaholic #: 80130
There is a DSA para on armslist new offer toda

The guy in Indiana said there were only 300 rounds thru it. Had 9 mags and wanted $1800. I'd buy it ,but already hav 2 FALs and my safe is stuffed.Heck if you are down sizing why not just get a Ruger Scot in 308. It's strong it's small and it still has a magazine.
Sword of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017, 21:42   #7
mjkelly
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I think you have to be the earliest member/lurked who finally submitted his 1st post.
I suppose there is something to be said for any distinction.
Old October 22, 2017, 22:27   #8
mjkelly
Registered

Yeah --sigh--, the SCAR 17 is something to put on a dream sheet for sure. It's a bit pricey for my interests at present. Still, I'm almost afraid to shoot one because I may find reasons to justify the price--at least to myself; to the other half would be another matter entirely.

I am not unhappy with the "pogue" in most respects. I'd take it to a fight if my HK 91 was unavailable, particularly if it proves itself reliable and accurate as I shoot it and crawl, walk, run with it more. I have just decided that the barrel is a bit much for a rifle that is hardly a DMR. The HK 91 is no featherweight, so I have a tolerance for fairly heavy 7.62 rifles.

A friend of mine pointed out that just taking a few inches off the barrel and adding a flash hider or brake would help balance the weapon better. I am considering that vis a vis re-barreling the rifle and all that would go along with that. I don't think I'll sell it. I have generally regretted selling guns.

Trigger time is still the priority. I am dealing with a leg injury that is keeping me from hiking out to my "range" in the Maine woods, but once I mend I'll head out on some Sundays and work with the rifle some more. In the meantime, I'll lurk. :-)

Thanks for the input.
MK
Old October 22, 2017, 22:46   #9
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkelly View Post
Yeah --sigh--, the SCAR 17 is something to put on a dream sheet for sure. It's a bit pricey for my interests at present. Still, I'm almost afraid to shoot one because I may find reasons to justify the price--at least to myself; to the other half would be another matter entirely.

I am not unhappy with the "pogue" in most respects. I'd take it to a fight if my HK 91 was unavailable, particularly if it proves itself reliable and accurate as I shoot it and crawl, walk, run with it more. I have just decided that the barrel is a bit much for a rifle that is hardly a DMR. The HK 91 is no featherweight, so I have a tolerance for fairly heavy 7.62 rifles.

A friend of mine pointed out that just taking a few inches off the barrel and adding a flash hider or brake would help balance the weapon better. I am considering that vis a vis re-barreling the rifle and all that would go along with that. I don't think I'll sell it. I have generally regretted selling guns.

Trigger time is still the priority. I am dealing with a leg injury that is keeping me from hiking out to my "range" in the Maine woods, but once I mend I'll head out on some Sundays and work with the rifle some more. In the meantime, I'll lurk. :-)

Thanks for the input.
MK
Keep searching; good deals are out there for those that are patient. I happened to get good prices on my Scars from DSG Arms and it wasnt even the law enforcement/ military price. Some of my FALs cost as much to build as the cost of one of the Scars.
raexcct2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2017, 23:04   #10
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
Keep searching; good deals are out there for those that are patient. I happened to get good prices on my Scars from DSG Arms and it wasnt even the law enforcement/ military price. Some of my FALs cost as much to build as the cost of one of the Scars.

I decided to get a FAL over a SCAR thinking Id be saving a thousand dollars back when they were selling for $2700. Well.....my DSA is about $100 away from breaking the $3000 mark to date after I got done doing everything I wanted to it, which is essentially turning it into a heavy SCAR (including optic cost....but still). I probably should have just bit the bullet in the beginning. Though, Im not sure a SCAR would attract as much attention as my tacticool FAL does.

As far as being patient, I searched for over a year trying to find an RFB that was both in stock, and under $1400 with shipping. I found a site that browses online stores, and shows stock status and price in a list. I stalked that site for a good 6 months and was able to snag a RFB for $1200 shipped (a steal at the time, most were $1500-$1800).

Check it out. I put the exact manufacturer part number in for what I wanted, so it only showed the exact barrel length and color rifles I wanted without any other clutter.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/

And this by the way, if your curious, is what a $3000 FAL looks like when its owner tries to turn it into a SCAR piece by piece over 6 years.....

(Obligatory eye candy)

I may be cheating my way into that $3000 figure by including optic costs....but for it to be a fair comparison to a SCAR with a fully adjustable folding stock, the naked rail cost with the DSA folder and para conversion parts buries it well within current SCAR territory. All for a rifle that is less accurate, and heavier. While the moral of the story is buy once cry once, Im still more than satisfied with this build. It does everything I want, and its unique.

While Id probably just get the SCAR if I were to do this all again, for me to do so now with as deep into and connected to the rifle as I am now (monetarily, emotionally, and training wise) would be redundant and economically foolish.

Last edited by fuel fire desire; October 22, 2017 at 23:33.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 13:35   #11
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post
I decided to get a FAL over a SCAR thinking Id be saving a thousand dollars back when they were selling for $2700. Well.....my DSA is about $100 away from breaking the $3000 mark to date after I got done doing everything I wanted to it, which is essentially turning it into a heavy SCAR (including optic cost....but still). I probably should have just bit the bullet in the beginning. Though, Im not sure a SCAR would attract as much attention as my tacticool FAL does.
What's the source of your cheek riser? Looks handy, especially if ambi.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 14:01   #12
fuel fire desire
Registered

FALaholic #: 71050
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
What's the source of your cheek riser? Looks handy, especially if ambi.
I honestly forgot the brand, but it's FAL specific and is contoured to mate with the stock while providing a level comb in relation to the bore. I think it was $20, and I found it on amazon. It came with self tapping wood screws, but I used slim flat blind fasteners inside the stock and machine screws to hold it on. I didn't trust the screws simply being threaded into the plastic, and the supplied screws were too long. They would have hit the recoil spring tube.
fuel fire desire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 15:15   #13
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel fire desire View Post
I honestly forgot the brand, but it's FAL specific and is contoured to mate with the stock while providing a level comb in relation to the bore. I think it was $20, and I found it on amazon. It came with self tapping wood screws, but I used slim flat blind fasteners inside the stock and machine screws to hold it on. I didn't trust the screws simply being threaded into the plastic, and the supplied screws were too long. They would have hit the recoil spring tube.
OK looks like it's time to do a little google-fu. Thanks.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 16:17   #14
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
Reading the original post,,,the rifel will be a little shorter, I don't it would be appreciably lighter.
Illurian00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2017, 18:17   #15
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I would swap the barrel out for an 18" with a standard contour. May as well melonite it while you are at it.
Old October 23, 2017, 18:26   #16
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I would swap the barrel out for an 18" with a standard contour. May as well melonite it while you are at it.
What is a medium contour barrel?

Old October 24, 2017, 08:17   #17
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
It's the one between the "standard weight" barrel and the "bull barrel".

Looks something like;
https://dsarms.com/p-11610-dsa-fal-s...installed.aspx

You're welcome.
Old October 24, 2017, 08:47   #18
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
It's the one between the "standard weight" barrel and the "bull barrel".

Looks something like;
https://dsarms.com/p-11610-dsa-fal-s...installed.aspx

You're welcome.
Never realized they made those. Looks heavy. Definitely a standard 18" would help the cause

Old October 24, 2017, 10:21   #19
MFC
Registered

FALaholic #: 74731
A Para with an 18" standard barrel is a pretty handy rifle. I have one and love it. They come up from time to time in the equipment exchange. Either an Imbel or early DSA (mine is a type 2 DSA that left the factory in 2006 and seems to have mostly Steyr parts). I think buying and then selling your current tank to fund the purchase would be preferable to building one. Your call though and either route works. DSA does mike a nice conversion kit and you can definitely source a quality surplus barrel. I think Gunplummer still has some Imbel barrels for sale.
MFC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017, 17:32   #20
klaus486
Registered

FALaholic #: 75880
If it were mine I'd simply have the barrel swapped out to 18", add a flash hider, and leave the rest. Spend the extra cash on mags and ammo.
klaus486 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2017, 12:22   #21
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Gunplumber has 17.3" barrels for sale in the Marketplace.
Old October 27, 2017, 08:22   #22
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Why not sell it and get an 308 AR with 18" barrel, which can be found for $600 and up all day? I am being dead serious, and I do not like ARs.
Old October 27, 2017, 12:03   #23
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Why not sell it and get an 308 AR with 18" barrel, which can be found for $600 and up all day? I am being dead serious, and I do not like ARs.
Providing he's not demanding MOA accuracy out of it, the FAL is a perfectly serviceable (dare I say more reliable) rifle for most tasks, and there's no shame sinking some coin into one to make it better suited to the user's preferences.