The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old July 18, 2018, 09:26   #1
Ragnarok63
Registered

FALaholic #: 81274
Checking my new receiver questions

I am new here...new to the FAL/L1A1 platform too. Anyhow...I've been studying up on actually building my L1A1 kit....got most of the parts I need gathered and more on the way...got my new Coonan inch pattern receiver earlier this month.

I've been watching the Arizona Response System videos and other vids...reading the stickies here...so far my new receiver seems quite good. The barrel will time...the lower fits good...seems square and level...bolt assembly and cover fit and bolt seems to slide good. The only real flaws I've seen/found have been a 'slip' Coonan made staking the ejector block pins that dinged the circular cut where the upper/lower pivot pins fit(done fixed that issue with a few seconds of Dremal)...and that the bolt-stop mechanism won't quite fit the hole(needs honed out a bit)

My primary question is just what size/spec should my Coonan receiver locking shoulder hole be?.....Just what size are standard locking shoulder shaft diameters?

The only locking shoulder I have on hand is a beat-up over size one(from the kit)...it's obviously considerably larger than the receiver hole and it's marked like Y01...and yep...I watched gunplumber's vid on the Coonan FAL receiver with the big hole....I'm pretty certain my hole ain't too big, however I would like to have a measurement to check it.

Are there any other things to check on a new receiver I may be overlooking?

Thanx Rag
Ragnarok63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 11:11   #2
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Here's a thread with the locking shoulder sizes.
http://www.fnfal.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2094860

This is a Google custom search feature for the Files.
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl...13:jrp-_hjyone

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 16:44   #3
Ragnarok63
Registered

Perfect! That's what I was looking for. I couldn't seem to find a stickie that mentioned any real diameter dimensions for the locking shoulder.

Thank you
Old July 18, 2018, 17:55   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I just finished a Coonan L1A1 build. Unfortunately it is a custom serial number so I can't use it for checking any patterns.

Overall, it went pretty well.

outward appearance some poor transitions on receiver sides from the lightening cuts where they came together at e-block area. Sanded down with 2" scotchbrite coarse (brown) surfacing disc.

Mag fit fail - barely. 1 of 5 mags clicked, 1 could be forced in - deepened the notch slightly and cut the missing clearances on the underside of the rail. Now all five latch snug.

feed ramps not cut completely to outside edges of mag well. Finished them out with a 1/4" drum on a pencil Dremel

lockup - missing two rear clearance cuts as ALL Coonans are. After correcting this defect, lockup was good.

bolt hold open fail - undersize. couldn't even get BHO started. Chased with a K bit, which went right through with little effort. Making me think it was an issue of burrs and not undersize. Did not evenly remove material all around - mostly from one side as if the hole were not concentric. Polished out with sandpaper on a small slit rod. Seems the groove for the short tab (not on all L1A1 BHOs), was a little narrow as well. Kissed tab on either side with the side of a cut-off wheel.

timing undertimed a bit (9:30). Required I reduce a #1 breeching washer on the surface grinder.

heaspace not good. Tight .308 close on a .250 shoulder. D59 bolt, D62 carrier, D64 bbl. Old, which means they should have some wear. Which means on a less worn set, locking shoulder would have to be even smaller. Smallest I've ever used is a .249 on that run of defective DSA receivers. I really hate going smaller than .250 for any reason.

All in all, it wasn't perfect, but it sucked a lot less than some previous ones.

Last edited by gunplumber; July 18, 2018 at 18:37.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2018, 22:49   #5
Ragnarok63
Registered

actually messed with the Coonan receiver and kit pieces this evening! I think my locking shoulder hole is close enough to hold a standard diameter part...kit shoulder measures like .299"/.300" (inch pattern gun..we keep it inches) measuring devices vary. An over-size piece obviously and not useable for my musket. I got both chunks of old receiver and it's a UB 60..crusty/rusty and 'sun-corite' painted...most other pieces are either Enfield 58 or 59...barrel and carrier could be later Australian parts however I am not sufficiently educated in British self-loading rifles to say that. The bolt itself is electro-penciled matched to the carrier and is Enfield made

The bolt hold-open hole has a big-time internal machine-burr along one edge of the vertical slot(other side is clean...hole likely fine otherwise)...this the issue with the bolt hold-open assembly fit(I think for sure..but I am an M14 guy..so no certainty here). Inch pattern mags(I got two) fit perfectly. A modded DSA Metric made mag fits ok(hey!..some 922 compliant parts!)

Another receiver conundrum! Has an interesting cast in raised area on the receiver breech-face that prevents the bolt carrier from slapping against the receiver breech-face. This 'raised' area is on the left side of the chamber and appears to be some sort of dust-cover locater thing....sticks out a long ways(maybe a sixteenth inch!)...I'm thinking it needs to go bye-bye but not just yet 'cause I am not going to remove it until I have to....or need to. The carrier itself has a slightly raised area itself in exactly the same location as the receiver(carrier bump maybe thousandth or two/three)

I still got faith in the Coonan receiver 'cause the BSA is in two chunks!!
Old July 19, 2018, 08:57   #6
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok63 View Post
This 'raised' area is on the left side of the chamber and appears to be some sort of dust-cover locater thing....sticks out a long ways(maybe a sixteenth inch!)...I'm thinking it needs to go bye-bye
leave it alone. It is supposed to be there.
Old July 19, 2018, 12:56   #7
Ragnarok63
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
leave it alone. It is supposed to be there.
I will let it be!...I got to looking at your pics posted above and has the lump too. I will say the British receiver(front chunk) is smooth in this area.

Is that a feature of later military receivers or what?

Thanx...Rag
Old July 19, 2018, 13:21   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

It is unique to Coonan and has something to do with their raw castings. Many find it cosmetically annoying, but it is what it is. There is a corresponding pad on the front of the bolt carrier. The purpose is that when the bolt carrier is closed, there is a small gap between the bolt carrier and the end of the gas piston.
Old July 21, 2018, 22:10   #9
ActionYobbo
Registered

FALaholic #: 32542
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post

lockup - missing two rear clearance cuts as ALL Coonans are. After correcting this defect, lockup was good.
Some angry beaver action there. Reminds me of the good old days

Last edited by ActionYobbo; July 21, 2018 at 22:25.
ActionYobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2018, 22:45   #10
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
I'm pissed that all that had to be done to my brand new receiver..I think they rushed it since they said thy got three times as many orders as they expected...and I ordered that back in late november-early december.
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018, 00:16   #11
Ragnarok63
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider991 View Post
I'm pissed that all that had to be done to my brand new receiver..I think they rushed it since they said thy got three times as many orders as they expected...and I ordered that back in late november-early december.
My son was peod it took so long too....I am not....it ain't like Eli Whitney totally solved the parts interchangeability issue....non of my parts have seen a receiver since stripped out of what-ever inch pattern receiver however many years ago...a bespoke item is what it is...Coonan made these without seeing your parts.

Did not seem to rush them out very fast....I was actually looking for something else inch pattern when the local Coonan dealer called that mine was in. Not an AR receiver...and not a Metric FAL either...

The mag fit thing disturbs me most about the above pictured receiver. I have two inch pattern originals....both plug into my new receiver perfectly not an issue.....so why would another Coonan receiver that presumably came from the same machine shop at close to the same time frame need work? No inch pattern mags laying around for the QC people to use?...No QC people? Two machine shops(I had a top tier M14 receiver manufacturer blame a subcontracted machine shop for some serious issues)? Honestly I expected my inch receiver would need some fitting

Last edited by Ragnarok63; July 22, 2018 at 08:58. Reason: more comment
Old July 22, 2018, 09:32   #12
ActionYobbo
Registered

FALaholic #: 32542
Quote:
Honestly I expected my inch receiver would need some fitting
why?
there is more variation between metric manufactures than there is between inch manufacturers. In reality inch pattern should be the easiest. why would you expect to do fitting work on a standard part? not like its some custom project.

Quote:
Coonan made these without seeing your parts.
Back to reality. There is no variation in inch parts so why would he need to see individual parts. They are all the same no matter who made them.
Old July 22, 2018, 10:30   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionYobbo View Post
Back to reality. There is no variation in inch parts so why would he need to see individual parts. They are all the same no matter who made them.
Not in Coonan's current "fcuk you, no warranty" where they blame all those original Enfield and BSA parts for being so far out of spec they won't fit their perfect receivers.

This replaces Dan Coonan's previous lie - "if you ever have a problem, I'll take care of it". Because Dan Coonan is a dishonest, lying sack of shit.

Now supposedly he doesn't work for the company that carries his name any more, and is only in an "advisory capacity". But I know when my customer called for them to replace a defective receiver (because an oversize 3 locking shoulder could be pushed in by hand) - they refused, asserting there was nothing wrong with their receiver.

So I published a video of it, and after a few thousand people saw it, the new dishonest scumbag in charge agreed to take care of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG0v814yHNo

So we know that Dan Coonan is a lowlife lying piece of shit, whose role at Coonan Inc is unclear, but whoever took over for him has the same "fcuk our customers" attitude.

I can't comprehend people like Dan Coonan and Dave Salvaggio. People give me shit for being an egotistical bastard, but how I wish these two jokers would get some ego! It is my enormous ego and my limitless self-worth that does not allow me to sell shit! It's got my name on it, that's why!

Now that being said, this receiver sucked less than some earlier ones and was better overall than the average DSA UK cut. Not sure that "sucks less" is a meritorious objective, but what would an arrogant bastard like me know about that.

Last edited by gunplumber; July 22, 2018 at 10:36.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2018, 10:38   #14
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
The only locking shoulder I have on hand is a beat-up over size one(from the kit)...it's obviously considerably larger than the receiver hole and it's marked like Y01.
Y marked shoulders are British oversize. 01 is a .260
Old July 23, 2018, 23:15   #15
Ragnarok63
Registered

Cannot let my topic set at thirteen posts....So here it is and there it goes...I cleaned out my bolt hold-open hole!...I tell you my hole is clean as a whistle.

Was not particularly hard to do...and I thought about it longer than it took to fix it. So all I did was take a small screwdriver and scrape the machine burrs off the one side of the slot...came right off. Still the part was too tight to work right(but way better). Sanded it a bit with a slotted dowel and cleaned the debris(another several minutes work). cleaned debris and tried the parts...still flakey so did that again and it works fine now.....I start to see why the mechanism was often disabled in service. The little spring in mine is not particularly powerful...
Old July 30, 2018, 10:41   #16
Ragnarok63
Registered

Almost got the Coonan built...Looks like I'm going to need a .250" locking shoulder.

I don't recommend the Brownell's action wrench for an FAL...but with some substantial modification it worked well...I hate grinding and filing on brand new stuff! Cannot simply use a wrench on the barrel flats with the Brownell's wrench..I built a simple barrel vise from wood and steel plates and used my 20 ton press to hold the barrel(I do recommend Brownell's powdered rosin for that)...barrel screwing...screwing barrels a sport almost as much fun as changing flat tires!

I was going to buy or build an extractor tool...but just used a vise and wood blocks to clamp a roll-pin punch to extract the extractor...

I'm going to re-check my headspace...however I get go with Clymer 'go' gauge at .250"...I get no-go with the 'go' gauge at .2515"....

Opposite end of the spectrum...I start getting go with the Clymer 'no-go' at approx. .247"/.2465"

I'm going to do it again this evening and make sure I know what I'm doing!