The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old July 18, 2018, 04:35   #1
OFOR
Registered

FALaholic #: 75195
Looking for a pic of a Dissapator in Soldier of fortune magazine

I was a teen in the 1980's and in one of the issues was a AR15 dissapator with an XM177 flashhider on it if anyone has the issue or can post a pic would be helpful.
OFOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 00:53   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
When moved into current house 25 years ago hauled over two truck loads of S.O.F., Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Reloader magazine and more when bought subscriptions every year to all from the 1970's through the early 90's as didn't want to start the new house trying to save an entire storage building building full of print magazines. They didn't stop full operation till 1/30/2018 so a request to one of the company emails might result in some help.

Used to go to Boulder two to five trips per year and if had a great day of down day would go by their offices and see who was hanging around. Picked up many a shooting partner for the day whether took me to a private range or favorite prairie dog field for the day. They were always accommodating and nice not minding hang arounds lurking about the offices looking at research on bulletin boards for upcoming articles or play with gear were reviewing. Bet some of their email addresses are still good.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2018, 00:59   #3
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Some reading for you...

https://mega.nz/#F!X3YFwarT!m5u6luYu9lnejW-IgYc71w
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018, 20:19   #4
Casqui1541
Registered

FALaholic #: 75204
I know longer have it, but I remember one of my Eagle magazines from the mid 80's having an article on mercenaries. There was a photo that showed 2 individuals in the bush, Africa I believe. I think the lead guy had what you describe with a collapsable stock and had Gerber MKII on his suspenders. The guy behind him was carrying what looked like a Garand. He may have been wearing vest webbing. Seems like there was a person named Dave McGrady that showed up in some of the merc articles during this time frame. Don't recall if the article was related to him or not. Al Venter did quite a bit of writing during this period as well.
Casqui1541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2018, 23:04   #5
fal762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66358
SOF is on FB. You could try asking there.
fal762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2018, 07:30   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Bing is your friend...

https://www.bing.com/search?q=ar+15+...FORM=QBLH&sp=4
Old July 26, 2018, 11:12   #7
ratas calientes
Registered

FALaholic #: 1841
I looked and could not find images of a dissy with that particular hider.

I do have a dissipator, and I have an XM177 hider somewhere. Want me to try and find the hider and put it on? Are you now just interested in what it would look like?
Old August 02, 2018, 01:10   #8
OFOR
Registered

I am building one now got everything I have just wanting to see the pic again been many years I am guessing g it wasn't SOF I checked every issue man that was long.
Old August 02, 2018, 08:59   #9
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
A simple image search of AR-15 dissipator" has a huge number of results. Surely there is something there that will jog a memory.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 02, 2018, 10:01   #10
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Are you doing this as a non functional mock up or are you going to Form 1 an actual "moderator" which works about as good as a two liter Coke bottle at reducing sound signature? Have been trying to consolidate my firearms book collection as many were/still are boxed up, on book shelves upstairs and downstairs along with scattered about the Ponderosa. Thus far have found well over two dozen books going back to private published back to 1990's and U.S. military manuals going back to originals and reproductions of Vietnam issue soldier level books including the comics they used to encourage maintenance of their new rifles.

If can give me some hint of what's different about the moderator you remember seeing and the moderators and copies that are common will see what I can find in some of my reference material. What similarities or differences from these? What are similarities or differences in picture you remember and those posted below.

This kid looks like he may have seen more before his 19th birthday than most will in a lifetime.

A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old August 04, 2018, 21:14   #11
bfoosh006
Registered

FALaholic #: 29366
Very good photos ! Thank you for sharing.
bfoosh006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2018, 22:32   #12
OFOR
Registered

I will be going replica type like Brick sells or brownells since moderators don't really silence but a few decibals anyway looking for a good clone.
Old August 05, 2018, 10:57   #13
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have a moderator "copy" that is big compared to most as made to bring an 11.5" barrrel to 16"+ OAL and considering doing a Form 1 for it. Can inside ream it for more internal volume and build a more modern baffle stack that used a threaded plug to hold it in so with or without baffles the barrel is still legal length and would have enough suppression to be worth the $200 stamp. Also considering idea of using a 12.5" barrel and doing some sort of integral suppressor under the handguards but would be a lot of work.

I am liking the idea of having a custom baffle stack in my over length and fairly large diameter Moderator clone device. If only get slightly better performance than the original considering will be dropping a $300 binary trigger in it and using a not so cheap Noda Spud lower a $200 stamp would not be the most expensive part of the build. Have been looking at different ways of doing a more accurate moderator clone than current one for some time. What I have is actually pretty close except for the moderator as uses an original Oly lower with no fence and Colt A1 upper so just figuring out a decent moderator that comes out to 16" so don't need two stamps is on my list.

I have a zillion moderator photos saved, bookmarked and in books. Tried posting a representative sampling of moderator designs so OP could give me a clue as to which his memory seemed to feel was closest to what remembered seeing in SOF and would concentrate on similar photos as rather not post 100 different variations on moderators have seen. Have several history books on Vietnam including a couple just on gadgets and odd weapons that were tried in that war.