Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old June 17, 2018, 12:19   #1
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
S & W upper receiver

I have a couple of question about the S&W. Will this receiver fit on any AR lower and in the description it says no dust cover or forward assist included, I can't see anywhere on the receiver where you could add a dust cover because I don't see any ears unless the S&W takes some kind of an exotic dust cover. Seems like a good price but I have these questions, thanks.

Mark

https://www.cdnnsports.com/upper-a3-...n#.WyaVR_ZFw2w
oleblu72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018, 12:37   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
They are plain jane. There wording makes it sound like the cover and assist are optional. There is no dust cover for it.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2018, 14:21   #3
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
They are plain jane. There wording makes it sound like the cover and assist are optional. There is no dust cover for it.

Well that sucks thanks Melt. Do you know if its a good receiver? I mean I know its a S&W it should be good but you never know anymore. Looks like it has a Anchor Harvey forge mark on it.

Mark
Old June 17, 2018, 15:41   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

I don't think it's all that great of a deal with poodle shooter parts awash in the world. I got this one a few months back

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426995

I never have used the forward assist. But I do think a dust cover isn't too bad of an idea if your going to tote it around

Huey could probably have a better idea. I'm by no means an AR expert. I've been picking up some AR stuff lately just to stay on the shit list of the gun grabbers. I'm not a huge AR fan but heck they will do the job for not a lot of money.

Old June 17, 2018, 18:35   #5
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

That's why I started building AR's Fal's are just getting to darn expensive especially when it comes to the shotty receiver problem from DSA & the Coon.

Mark
Old June 17, 2018, 19:17   #6
XL K9
Registered

FALaholic #: 81145
I have S&W M&P AR without a dust cover or forward assist and have never had a problem with it. If you use quality ammo and keep it reasonably clean and lubed, you shouldn't need a forward assist and unless you are dragging it around through the muck, dirt or dust, a dust cover is not necessary either.

For HD, hunting or range use, it will be just fine.
XL K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 09:06   #7
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
I think that is a good deal. I have no use for a FA and prefer slick-side uppers. Best deal going is the Aero Precision at about $90 for a stripped upper. I do like ejection port covers but let's face it,...it only serves a purpose if you keep it closed,...and more often than not you don't. Seems perfect for a less-than-military-grade build. Also great for .22 and 9mm builds. Imma pick up a few,...thanks.

RUE?
kev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 13:30   #8
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
I think that is a good deal. I have no use for a FA and prefer slick-side uppers. Best deal going is the Aero Precision at about $90 for a stripped upper. I do like ejection port covers but let's face it,...it only serves a purpose if you keep it closed,...and more often than not you don't. Seems perfect for a less-than-military-grade build. Also great for .22 and 9mm builds. Imma pick up a few,...thanks.

Which Aero receiver are you talking about Kev the M4 E1?

Mark
Old June 18, 2018, 14:22   #9
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
Not a bad price - I just ordered one for a pistol build.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 17:28   #10
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Yeah I just bought 3 of them thought I'd take a chance. Hope they fit better than the Spikes upper I just bought so far with my limited experience building AR's I'll stick with Aero uppers they fit better and their less money than Spikes.

Mark
Old June 18, 2018, 17:58   #11
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Was checking on uppers based on the thread. Primary arms has some but they are around 75. So probably not a bad price. Hell it wouldn't hurt to tuck a couple away for a few years down the road. Primary has Anderson lowers for under 50 iirc. I've got all the FAL variants I want that cost under 2k.

Poodle shooters can go from cheap to expensive relatively quick. So I just pick up stuff here and there. No hurry. I bought a full Anderson lower for 100 and stuck a larue trigger on it. I have a Spikes A3 upper receiver. For the barrel I don't want an A2 sight post/gas block trying to come with GB pinned mid length and just use Magpuls. I have long arms and my hand naturally reaches up to the gas block.

Last edited by meltblown; June 18, 2018 at 18:04.
Old June 18, 2018, 18:28   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have a half dozen "slick side" Smith M&P 15's. Five NIB and one pulled to run just for grins wit out any issues. Have three heavy barrel varmint builds with no forward assist or dust cover and some of my "junk box" builds are built on Smith "slick side" uppers where owner bought due to inexpensive price then replaced upper at later date with Palmetto blem. Thus currently have one factory Smith slick side and two builds using take off slick side uppers got for free. Have three DPMS Lo Pro slick side heavy wall upper builds and have two more of the DPMS sitting at Post Office waiting for me to get out of house from last nerve block and pick up. At $29.99 I will probably add a couple of the Smith slick side uppers to next CDNN order.

Can't remember using forward assist for anything but other than making sure it functioned. If we're to need to nudge bolt on a slick side just place thumb in scallop of bolt carrier to push bolt forward. On a life or death rifle that might be dragging through mud and using crappy ammo would prefer a forward assist and dust cover. 90% of time neither is needed and anytime I build a heavy barrel varmint rifle it goes on a no forward assist, dust cover delete upper. Structural metal has to be removed for dust cover recess and when hang a five pound barrel off front of rifle want all the meat I can get on my uppers. Most builds forward assist is of no real use and will notice some high end accuracy companies sell forward assist delete kits that give you a plug to cover the forward assist hole.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 18:56   #13
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblu72 View Post
Which Aero receiver are you talking about Kev the M4 E1?

Mark
No idea,.....have never dealt with them for anything else and when I needed a non-assist upper I just went to their website and ordered what I found. Don't remember the model but remember the price,...about $90 stripped. Bought another a week later from a GB dealer populated for $80 and a month later found a GWACS lower with an Aero slick upper attached for a good price. I am kicking around a 6.5 build and had my eyes on another Aero but have three of these S&W's coming now.

RUE?
Old June 18, 2018, 22:08   #14
fly2.0
Registered
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
They will make a good paper weight .
** Colt / FN All the way **
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2018, 23:10   #15
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Keep in mind that AIM (and, I'm sure, others) has/have the Anderson standard (assist and made for port door) stripped uppers for $39.99.

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2018, 13:13   #16
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

That's true, but if you feel that the assist is something to be avoided and are willing to spend more to avoid it(on say the Aero upper), then these are real bargains. Also keep in mind that without the assist or port door these are ready to run for $29.95,.......a $39.95 standard stripped upper still needs another $20-30 worth of parts to complete.

I would prefer a door and would be happy to pay twice this price if they were cut for one, but they're not and I'll find plenty of use for them. Probably not as paper weights tho,.....a little too light for ideal function there.

RUE?
Old June 22, 2018, 10:46   #17
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Got my receivers today all fit and look good although one has a slight high spot right in the middle of the receiver making it fit just a little tight. I don't know if this could cause trouble down the road as it heats up from shooting or not, all & all still a good deal.

Mark
Old June 22, 2018, 11:17   #18
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblu72 View Post
Got my receivers today all fit and look good although one has a slight high spot right in the middle of the receiver making it fit just a little tight. I don't know if this could cause trouble down the road as it heats up from shooting or not, all & all still a good deal.

Mark
Have had more than one upper from variety of companies that bolt was anywhere from very snug to could not pound in upper with a hammer. If worried about it can can mail to me and will relieve the high spot for you as documented in another recent thread on uppers. Will even pay return shipping. Do free upper work from squaring, repairs and total rebuilds for free all the time as keeps me occupied and doesn't cost me money working on personal builds that causes me to buy parts.

Am a tad behind because last nerve block was the area have worst issue and surgeon went "all in" on the radio frequency burn on two nerve bundles and then loaded the area up with steroids which put me in the bench since Wednesday before last. About to go into office second time this week to check email and come home. Plan to go back to full time work next week as have jobs that can't wait any longer. Did bring all my old half terabyte external backup drives home and two spindles of CD's and DVD's with archived photos scattered over decades from film scans, print scans and digital DSLR's plus pnone pics.

Purchased a four terabyte drive and as felt decent been transferring and organizing photos to prep for fixing my websites. Several years ago deleted over 100 pages from websites due to a company who was stealing my higher resolution photos intended people to use for wallpaper and personal as my copyright statement on every page clearly states not for commercial use without permission. So going to repair and update all five existing sites, finish the two new ones working on and start new ones as time allows.

Will give thumbnails with medium resolution watermarked images if people want to see a full screen size image but won't be enough resolution for posters. One of my vendors has five framed posters with images of mountain climbers and other genres with motivational quotes am sure the authors were not paid for use. Told me not to put on Internet if didn't want them to use and was welcome to come sue them for copyright infringement in California. Didn't have six figures to flush in legal costs so now my sites look like crap from the flushing of 1/3 of the pages which had used high resolution photos instead of low resolution as had done initially. People asked for better pictures and decided to cater to my audience.

Knocking down your high spot and squaring the receiver will take about 20 minutes if want to send it to me toward end of next week. Will be happy to fix it up as have four upper sitting next to vice to lap right now and still have to pick up the slick side DPMS Lo Pro uppers at Post Office.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2018, 13:21   #19
oleblu72
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Thanks Huey that's mighty nice of you.It sounds like you are a very busy person. And I find that some people can really be a big disappointment with some of the things they do to their fellow man.

Mark
Old June 22, 2018, 22:35   #20
lockjaw
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
I like to build on Rainier Arms upper receivers without forward assist, but they do have a dust cover. They are quality receivers.

The S&W Sporter rifles were a solid, inexpensive shooter for the average plinker. Ruger and SIG have have since introduced ARs in the same price range that spank the S&W's rear.
Old June 23, 2018, 09:22   #21
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I received my SW upper a couple days ago - seems to be a well made Anchor-Harvey forging.

Rail has T-Marks with "-S&W-" in the T13 slot.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2018, 10:03   #22
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

I got three of the S&W uppers Thursday but before they even arrived I tripped over a slick-side Anderson for $45 direct from their website and have that ordered for my 6.5Gren build. The S&W uppers will sit in the box until I get desperate enough to start tinkering with a bunch of no-name 14.5" kits I picked up cheap,......which will probably be never.

RUE?
Old June 23, 2018, 11:05   #23
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
The other alternative to eliminating the forward assist is to simply plug the hole with a delrin plug from Schuster among others. Then you may have your dust cover and no forward assist required all for the princely sum of $7.99... https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod79433.aspx

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

ďThe American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote