The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old March 11, 2018, 16:50   #1
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Budget 22LR AR upper

I am currently looking at building a dedicated 22LR upper for my AR's. I own a S&W M&P 15-22. While it has been good to me, I cannot use it in any Appleseed program and a couple more local programs because of issues with out of battery firing (kabooms). And, with an Appleseed coming back to the area in April that I plan on going to, the need for an AR 22LR has popped up.

So, I have looked at several sources for dedicated uppers and CMMG seems to be the least expensive with decent barrels. Other companies seemed to have discontinued their models or have units that are not true AR uppers. Priced around $500-550, this is in line with any other plain Jane upper of other calibers.

It appears I can build one using a barrel/bolt setup with one of my unused uppers for about $150-200 less than buying one.

Anybody have any input on which brand it reliable and available? Remember, I want an average upper, nothing match grade or exotic. And yes, the Ruger 10-22 can be had cheaper, but it is not an AR type rifle. I have other 22's I could use if I wanted to.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2018, 17:55   #2
Tikiman001
Registered

FALaholic #: 72392
Here's what I used for a 22LR conversion:

Colt 604 upper (no FWD Assist, 1/12 Barrel Twist)
Colt Sp1 lower
Stainless CMMG 22 conversion kit (Bravo or Echo, get the Echo if you want FWD Assist) - $135 on Gunbroker
Better-Mag 15-22 Mag Adapter. -$39.95 Redi-Mag

If you want to use your S&W 15-22 mags and have BHO with the CMMG kit, get the Better-Mag adapter from Redi-Mag. At least every time I've used it, the bolt locks back on the hold open for all of my 15-22 mags consistently, and let's be honest, the 15-22 mags smoke the CMMG/Black Dog ones in everything but looks.

Last edited by Tikiman001; March 13, 2018 at 18:00. Reason: Pricing for conversion parts
Tikiman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2018, 21:54   #3
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
I would suggest that you not dedicate an upper to fire .22 LR. With a CMMG kit, it just doesn't make sense to dedicate one.

In regard to Appleseed: Why not shoot 5.56 ammo?
Old March 15, 2018, 22:05   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
I would suggest that you not dedicate an upper to fire .22 LR. With a CMMG kit, it just doesn't make sense to dedicate one.

In regard to Appleseed: Why not shoot 5.56 ammo
I actually have an original Colt 22 Conversion kit for the AR. What I am looking to do is build a 22LR upper using a 22LR barrel and bolt in a AR upper. Only good for shooting 22. Not a pop in the kit and shoot 22 then pop it back out and throw in the AR bolt and BC.

The accuracy is just not there, IMHO, with the chamber adapter type kits. The best accuracy I have seen is using the 22 barrel and bolt. Plus, there are some restrictions on using my S&W M&P 15-22. So having another brand, or home built, would solve that issue for me.

Some ranges only allow 22LR shooting for events. So having a 22 AR available would not limit my participation. Plus, with the Appleseed I am planning to attend, you are looking at 200-250 rounds fired over two days. Add that cost to hotels, meals, gas etc, It can get expensive. Saving $75-125 in ammo by shooting 22 is a plus.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old April 13, 2018, 14:20   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Lightbulb

Just finished a CMMG upper. Function great, but one issue with CMMG mag. Had a couple of FTFs. Then bought a bunch of Black Dog metal feed lip mags. $13 at PSA. No feed issues at all. Installed a Vortex Strike Eagle 22lr scope. Accuracy coming at 0.6 to 0.8 inches at 25 yards using just a front rest with me standing. So potential is there. Happy so far.

Old April 13, 2018, 15:02   #6
cavegeo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 11441
I was planning to attend a Appleseed shoot with my son and purchased a 15-22 for him. Then Appleseed decided that 15-22 were no longer safe. It appears the people who run Appleseed have some kind of agenda and don't want people to use 15-22 but rather you use one of two Appleseed approved rifles.

I will not attend an Appleseed event until they revise there policy, to me they are just wanting to drive accessory sales to their web page and can't justify the ban on 15-22 as most any 22 lr rifle will on occasion has an OOB event.

My opinion is to say **** you to Appleseed.
The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly ******* stupid.
cavegeo is online now   Reply With Quote