Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Lead Farm RnG Dec 1,

https://practiscore.com/lead-farm-2-...tch-1/register

It's in Versailles, Missouri.

There will be a 5K and 10K.

Thought i'd leave this here.

Yea, i'm going.

Last edited by TxGunDawg; August 14, 2018 at 18:46.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018, 05:31   #2
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Awesome! I need to make it up to one of their matches one day. I can't make this one, but I'm looking forward to you full report!
Old November 30, 2018, 07:34   #3
TxGunDawg
Registered

Well the day has come.

Heading out now.
Old November 30, 2018, 22:38   #4
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post
Well the day has come.

Heading out now.
Go and get it, Mike!
Old December 01, 2018, 06:30   #5
TxGunDawg
Registered

Looks like good weather for a RnG.

It rained about 0230.

Starting in the 40’s and reaching the mid 50’s this afternoon

Low chance of rain for most of the race.
Old December 01, 2018, 07:44   #6
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post

Looks like good weather for a RnG.

It rained about 0230.

Starting in the 40’s and reaching the mid 50’s this afternoon

Low chance of rain for most of the race.
Looks a lot nicer than the weather Nuttz and the guys are having in Kentucky!
Old December 06, 2018, 19:38   #7
TxGunDawg
Registered

Lead Farm AAR

The trip to Versailles, Mo. took about 9 hours.

The weather was good for a RnG.

Lead Farm had all 6 stages in shooting bays lined up in one general location, in the same direction. There were 76 rifle paper and steel targets from 5 to 600 yards. There were 66 pistol paper and steel targets from 5 to 35 yards.

You would take a trail through the woods and end up at a stage. Each leg of the trail had a different color tape. So you had to be mindful as you ran. Then after shooting you would head off on another trail through the woods. On each leg of the trail there was a Check point were you would drop off a plastic coin. They gave you 5 during check in. There were multiple creek crossings and the 1.5 inches of rain earlier that morning made for slick trails.

All yardages are approximate.

Stage 1
You engaged Paper and steel rifle targets from 10 to 250 yards. Shoulder rifle and crawl through a pallet tunnel and at the end engage two pistol plate racks on the right and left side.

Stage 2
Prior to shooting the stage you had to climb over an 8 ft. wall. No grappling hook needed.

The stage started with the rifle and engaging a plate rack with 6 little sammy targets at about 80 yards. Moving to another shooting position while engage two paper targets. Then engage steel targets out to 350 yards. Sling the rifle and engaged pistol targets in the woods from 5 to 20 yards.
After stage 2 you had to walk up a creek go under a bridge where the wall was and through a culvert.

Stage 3
You had to run to a moving platform and engage 12 pistol targets from over a barrel, from the right of the barrel and then the left of the barrel. Clear your pistol and holster. Move to engage rifle steel targets from two different positions out to 450 yards.

After stage 3 you had to cross a slack line. They had a pallet set up to help you climb onto the line. So crossing on top was fairly easy.

Stage 4

Was rifle only.
At the buzzer you had to climb onto a make shift tower and engage paper and steel targets from 5 to 600 yards.

Stage 5
Was pistol only.

At the buzzer you ran to a shoot house set up and engage paper and steel targets.

Stage 6

From the start line you engaged pistol steel targets while moving through the woods. Clear and holster your pistol. Move to a tree and engage 5 rifle steel targets in two different location between 80 and 300 yards. Move to a second rifle location and while moving engage paper targets. At the second location engage 5 steel targets out to 450 yards.

I ran the 10k so i did this course twice.

First with my FAL, then with an AK74 in preps for Pawnee.

I thought i shot my FAL well. I carried 150 rounds.
I shot 87 rounds to hit 76 targets. I completed all but the last stage where i timed out with 2 targets left.

I didn't shoot the AK74 as well. It has a red dot on it and i just could not see the targets as good. I carried 180 rounds and i know i shot 150+ and times out on three stages.

I carried my FNX-45 tactical and 105 rounds both times. I had a little more than 1 mag left both times. Shot about 80 times to clear 66 target.

All the weapons functioned flawlessly.

My kit with the FAL weighed about 45lbs. With the AK about 35lbs.

Physically i had enough energy to jog from start to finish and more than half the course overall. No cramping

I ran through the trails the first time with no problems. The second time through it took 15 minutes to reload for round two. On the clock. I got crossed up after stage 2 and ended up at stage 4. Spent 8 minutes on wait time then realized i had not shot stage 3. I figure out which check point i missed and then after stage 6 i went down the missed trail and found the check point. Dropped of my coin and made a b-line for the finish.

I didn't place well overall. With the poor shooting of the AK and the trail blunders.

Last edited by TxGunDawg; December 07, 2018 at 06:49.
Old December 07, 2018, 23:40   #8
kotengu
Registered

I'm confused about the coin thing. If you start with the coins and drop them off, how do they know who has been where? Why would you not start with no coins and pick them up as you go, so you finish with 5 different color coins?
Old December 08, 2018, 09:02   #9
TxGunDawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
I'm confused about the coin thing. If you start with the coins and drop them off, how do they know who has been where? Why would you not start with no coins and pick them up as you go, so you finish with 5 different color coins?
The coins had your check-in number on them.

I’m guessing they collected the five boxes at the end of the day. Then checked the numbers agaisnt the check in list to ensure everyone made it to the check points.

I heard there was a heavy penalty for missing one.

David missed a couple and I seen he had been DQ.

But picking up different colored coins at the check points would accomplish the same thing and probably same some time as well.

You would have an issue with those that run the 10k. They could just pick up two coins the first time through.

Last edited by TxGunDawg; December 08, 2018 at 09:08.
Old December 08, 2018, 14:53   #10
kotengu
Registered

That is a lot of work. But making an "out and back" course has a whole new level of challenges to work with. I am spoiled by Rockcastle and glad I don't have to fool with that stuff.
Old December 13, 2018, 23:25   #11
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Random question. Laser range finders allowed or have to use range finding scope or is it irons only?
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2018, 11:40   #12
TxGunDawg
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Random question. Laser range finders allowed or have to use range finding scope or is it irons only?
If want to carry it.

And have to use it.

Have it. No rules against them.

The RO’s gave the ranges to the targets during the stage brief.

Though for the life of me I could not remember them all while I was shooting.

Some RO’s even called them out as you were shooting.