Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old August 04, 2018, 20:39   #151
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
...as did Kotengu...2 upgrades inbound for my rifle.
Kotengu shot and ran with mediocrity, which was fitting considering my mediocre training for this one. But I got lucky with the conditions and finished before the worst of the rain. Don't get me wrong - it rained for half of my run and I fought fogged/wet glasses the whole time.

But Stimp and others ran in a full on deluge. Nay, a torrent - an outright flooding to where they couldn't even see the targets, and poor Kelly almost got whisked away downriver during the what-used-to-be-a-"creek" crossing.

But as always, the best stories come from the hardest fought battles. It was a great match with a good mix of terrain and shooting challenges. And was a home run from an administrative point of view as far as Kelly's Match Director skills go.

Now let's talk about those upgrades!
Old August 04, 2018, 20:58   #152
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Great match. R/O Friday was a deluge followed by a washout. Got kind of serious when one of the R/O's running the course didn't hit bottom on the creek crossing. It had been knee deep an hour earlier.. At least it was cool (75-78) and overcast. Stimpy had it easy , All his muddy stuff was wash and wear cleaned while moving from one stage to the next. His problem was that visibility was 100 yards and less due the rain and low cloud cover. And of course, all rifle targets were 125 yards or greater .

This was my first ever Run n Gun, and I learned some very valuable lessons:

1 - Everything you carry is heavy when you start the match and gets heavier as you go through the match.

2 - You are supposed to end the match with 80% or more of your ammo expended, not still in the mags.

3 - There is no need to practice for the match. Everything you practice for won't happen the way you practiced and you will do it wrong.

All in all I had fun, finished the 3K course despite my inability to shoot a rifle or pistol proficiently. And I think I set several records for the match:

Passed by more shooters that started ahead of me.
Passed by more shooters that started behind me.
Passed by more shooters who weren't even in my race (they were doing the 5K and 8K)
Scored the highest number of penalty points in my race. Stimpy argued that he beat me on this one and I countered that he was not running in the 3K race.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 04, 2018, 21:21   #153
kotengu
Registered

Have I told you how awesome it is that you joined us and finished this race? How does it feel?
Old August 04, 2018, 23:07   #154
Lurker66
Registered

FALaholic #: 79967
Arrow

Wowser. Canít wait for the stories and details.
Lurker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2018, 11:04   #155
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Sounds like a lot of fun, glad I missed it..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2018, 11:42   #156
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
Have I told you how awesome it is that you joined us and finished this race? How does it feel?
Well, I have to give you, Stimpy and a couple of other friends a ton of thanks for motivating me to go past the "I'd like to do that" to "I am going to do that". And a few years back, you gave me and another Mike the urging to take up yoga. While I was a bit slower on the acceptance, it has made the difference in my abilities. And for that I owe you a debt of gratitude.

Oh, and I feel fine. Stiff and sore, but knowing it was well earned makes it worthwhile. While right now my limit is around 3-4K, I know I can improve that aspect over time. However, I was surprised about how bad my shooting performance sucked. My equipment had a few weaknesses that are easily corrected, but I just cannot understand why I couldn't shoot worth a damn. Oh well, I will work on that aspect and will do better the next time.

I know Bseventeen is trying to return to a "normal" life today, but anybody have an idea of where the scores will be posted?

And don't stop being this extra in my real life movie.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.

Last edited by tac-40; August 05, 2018 at 11:50.
Old August 05, 2018, 13:38   #157
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Glad to here everything went well. Another successful RnG.

Can't wait for all the details.

Tac: Happy to here you overcame an obstacle and made it. Hope to see you at more. Keep up the good work.

B-17: Congratulations on your first and hope to be many more RnG's. Sorry i missed it. But it would have been a BAD weekend to be away. My well went out. So i spent the weekend hooking to another well on the property. Told my wife,"i'm going next year", so put me down as an RO.

Nuttz: Anytime on the AAR.

Stimpy:

kotengu:

Last edited by TxGunDawg; August 05, 2018 at 14:56.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2018, 14:46   #158
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
Not my 1st RnG but was still able to find shortcomings in my gear that have to be tweaked. My run time was at 12:47..... The height of the heat and it got to me, despite my preparations. I made the decision to not carry any water and clearly that was wrong. But, I did finish! The creek crossing felt effing PHENOMENAL after suffering in the heat. I was bouncing off the bottom so I can imagine how it was in the torrent of Friday. It's tough to judge who had the most challenges. The ROs had pouring rain and floods on Friday. On Saturday we had sweltering heat and humidity. Pick your poison.

All in all it was a great, challenging match. It was good seeing you guys again. Apologies if I didn't get to talk to some of you. Beseventeen, great 1st RnG. The challenges putting on one of these is massive and you pulled it off excellently!
jcornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 05, 2018, 15:46   #159
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
And for that I owe you a debt of gratitude.
You owe me nothing but to pass it on to the next guy that needs a push - but I'm glad as hell that it's working for you!

Kelly just posted the scores to FB. Not sure if this will work here or not, but try this: https://tinyurl.com/ycqtuc5p
Old August 05, 2018, 16:48   #160
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Went to Facebook and downloaded the scores. Looking at what I did, I was surprised I did better than I thought I did.

Okay, the fun is over, I have recovered, most of the mud is washed off my equipment, my better half won't let me take take my match clothes out of the garbage bag until I hose them down in the back yard, the guns are all cleaned (done last night before I got sleepy), and the truck mostly unpacked.

WHEN IS THE NEXT ONE. I am so stoked.

Old August 06, 2018, 18:42   #161
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
I went to the range after I got home yesterday to test fire the FAL.

It was shooting 4" low and 4" right (at least) at 50 yards.

So...that's bad.

I knew as soon as I wasn't hitting anything on stage 1 that something had gone bad wrong.

The bbl doesn't look bent from the fall, but I will look more closely when I take it apart for cleaning. Probably tomorrow night.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"Itís hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2018, 18:48   #162
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post

Now let's talk about those upgrades!
New Nightforce scope, an MOA NX8. NOT on order yet.

And swapping the modified izzy handguards out for a keymod a guy had on his FAL at the match.

I went looking for a review to see if they were any good and found a review here with Nutzz and others in it...already on order.

Old August 06, 2018, 21:08   #163
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

P226 is back together...forgot how many bits there are in the old WG models.

Back to the glock from here on out I think.

Broke the FAL apart a bit to look for rust but found none and will tackle it tomorrow night.

Now to see if I have the energy to edit video...

Old August 06, 2018, 21:26   #164
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Whew. What a whirlwind this past week has been!! I'm just sort of starting to regain my bearings.

So, the CRNG was AMAZING thanks to all of my fantastic help. Clinton House was the perfect place for an RNG...the property really lends itself to something like that. I really liked the way the courses flowed. We had some pretty gnarly hills on the 5k/8k.

I live about 2.25 hours away. I went down there two weeks before the match to start setting up, basically dragging all of the steel to each stage (but not actually posting it because they still had other stuff going on there). I got quite a bit done then.

I drove down early Thursday to be there at 9am. With the help of a friend and another MD we set up all the stages amidst the rain. We had more rain that week than I have seen all summer. It was almost funny. At one point when we were setting the stages it was absolutely pouring, but the sun was also out. God was laughing at me

I felt okay about the progress that day, but it wasn't 100% where I wanted it to be. At that point I was out of daylight and again it was pouring even harder.

Got on course at 5am to finish setting up. Surveyed the course...and half of my freaking signs got washed out. The ones I had pre-painted were fine, but those that I had just painted yesterday (arrows I mean) had been ruined in the storm. It was a mess. Furthermore, I found one of the trails to be pretty much blocked in several places by downed trees. I had excellent help to fix this, but we were an hour late for the RO meeting (I HATE being late).

A couple other hiccups here and there getting things started and people in place. I was hoping first runner would be out at 9am....nah. Try 10:42. Oh man. I felt like I was losing traction.

The whole time...all of my RO's were so awesome and pleasant. Once we started rolling out shooters things flowed better. I intended to run all three races (8k, 5k, 3k), but due to some housekeeping things, I never even left on my first run til about 3pm.

I did my 8k first. While the morning had mostly been overcast and dry, a huge storm rolled in during my run. It was absolutely freaking pouring rain. I had my headphones in for the first couple miles. When I got to the first stage, I took them out and forgot to put in my ear pro. Wow, that first shot was loud. More rain after that. It was so bad I could barely see the white targets on the long range stage. On the stage with the plate rack, I could't see shit. I was literally holding where I mentally knew the next plate would be.

I felt pretty solid on my run, til I got to the last two stages. I was running, sorting out my mags...and realized I did not have enough rifle rounds to complete the COF. I was going to run out of ammo at my own f@*(&$ng run and gun I guess I just had a bit too much on my mind when I left. I always, ALWAYS take double the round count. I had every intention to take four mags, but absentmindedly just grabbed three. I cleared stage six and had one round left for the last stage. I had no choice but to rack up some hefty penalties.

Feeling like a dumbass I did what I could and turned tail back to the finish line. I re-upped my ammo and headed out for my 5k 15 mins later. By that point the sun came out and it felt disgusting, lol. Everything went smooth on that run. I felt like my shooting was decent and I still had quite a bit left in the tank despite just finishing the 8k.

The creek crossing...oh em geeeee. It was about 2ft deep when I walked it on Thursday. We had so much dang rain, we almost had to throw it out for Friday/Saturday and reroute the whole course. We strung a rope across for people to hold on to, and on Sat, added little safety things too to loop around in case you lost the rope. I seriously almost got washed away. I got in for the 5k, and didn't use the safety loops, just held on. In the middle of the creek was about shoulder deep for me. The rushing current kicked my legs out from under me and I literally was dragging myself across the rope to get to the other end. It was a little hairy but I made it

I finished 10/44 in the 8k due to my dumbassery, and 1/23 in the 5k. Obviously I threw out my scores, although I think it was more of a disadvantage to be MD, LOL. My training suffered immensely, I didn't have time to dry fire or shoot like normal. Between my real job, family and RNG planning I was only getting like five hours of sleep a night. I did set up the stages but I didn't even air gun them or walk them. I do think knowing the running course was an advantage - a) not having to constantly look for signs, and b) knowing how far away I was from the finish at all times.

Friday night was fun. I did a low country boil in the parking lot and we all stuffed our faces. I was in tears laughing listening to Bruce recount his run. He really is a gifted story teller. It was nice to catch up with everyone after a long day. I equated MD'ing a RNG to my wedding day...all of my friends are there, but I'm so busy I can only talk to each one for like two minutes

Saturday, the real run, went incredibly smooth. All of my RO's were amazing. Things went off without a hitch and people really seemed to have a great time. Over half of our shooters were new to RNG, and I could tell they were HOOKED!!! I was also super excited that my friends were giving it a shot. Like Tac, and this other fella John - both were like "I want to RO but not run the race" in the beginning...but on that day, there they were out there doing it - and doing an awesome job too

All in all I was happy and grateful for how it all turned out. I felt so special to be surrounded by my FAL friends, who I think of as the core of my RNG family. <3

I like this pic of Matt & me....you can see the stress in his face bc I'm not saving the excel sheet every three seconds

Did any of yall even notice my note??

Slackline didn't trip up as many people as I hoped.

Stage 4 on my 8k run. Pouring.

Here's Stage 4 from my 5k (had a stage win here)

"I know the stories of women murdering their ways across campaigns. Riding into combat on horseback and creating rivers of blood where they went. I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend they can't be killers in their own right."
beseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 06, 2018, 22:29   #165
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

B17, you did good girl. All of the R/O's appreciated the effort you put forth. The courses and stages were well layed out. And your ability to adapt, improvise, and overcome was awesome.

Again, I would like to say thank you for the job you did in making the R/O job easier. Just give me call if you need an extra R/O. And I will bring the Polaris even if you say no.

Old August 06, 2018, 23:16   #166
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Clinton House was the perfect place for an RNG...the property really lends itself to something like that.
This is beyond debate...what a venue!

Quote:
Got on course at 5am to finish setting up. Surveyed the course...and half of my freaking signs got washed out. The ones I had pre-painted were fine, but those that I had just painted yesterday (arrows I mean) had been ruined in the storm. It was a mess. Furthermore, I found one of the trails to be pretty much blocked in several places by downed trees. I had excellent help to fix this, but we were an hour late for the RO meeting (I HATE being late).

A couple other hiccups here and there getting things started and people in place. I was hoping first runner would be out at 9am....nah. Try 10:42. Oh man. I felt like I was losing traction.

The whole time...all of my RO's were so awesome and pleasant. Once we started rolling out shooters things flowed better.
EVERYTHING gets fixed on Friday...it's a rule.

Quote:
Friday night was fun. I did a low country boil in the parking lot and we all stuffed our faces. I was in tears laughing listening to Bruce recount his run. He really is a gifted story teller.
"All comedy is based in someone else suffering."

Quote:
Saturday, the real run, went incredibly smooth.
Agreed, though I wish we could have gotten all the radios to VHF for Saturday.

Quote:
All in all I was happy and grateful for how it all turned out. I felt so special to be surrounded by my FAL friends, who I think of as the core of my RNG family. <3
It's a stupid outdated rifle that only morons find interesting...or it might be some kind of litmus test for just the right level of insanity. I am still upset that when you put the fellowship patch on it occurred to me you are not on it...wheels are turning, this must be remedied.

Quote:
I like this pic of Matt & me....you can see the stress in his face bc I'm not saving the excel sheet every three seconds

I suspect Matt exists in a barely contained state of taking the mouse away from other people all day long...it's probably why he drinks.

Quote:
Did any of yall even notice my note??

Dang...missed that...noice!

Quote:
Slackline didn't trip up as many people as I hoped.

Well, some of us did it twice. I think my wound from it is infected. Urgent care will be unimpressed unless I get the video posted before I go. They are getting so hard to impress.

You nailed it, Kelly, be proud.

Old August 07, 2018, 08:56   #167
Lurker66
Registered

FALaholic #: 79967
Sounds like it was a awesome event. Congrats Kelly for pulling it off. Iím bout certain the OKFAO fellas will make your next one.
Lurker66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 07, 2018, 12:01   #168
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Video RNG Review:

Link if embedded does not work in your browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCXSviM0V0
Old August 07, 2018, 12:53   #169
kotengu
Registered

Quote:

Everybody else: "Kelly is awesome! She runs marathons for fun, bakes cookies, beats all the boys at their own games, yadda yadda yadda"

Me: "Yeah, but have you seen how she can fly through a spreadsheet???".
Old August 07, 2018, 13:53   #170
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:

I suspect Matt exists in a barely contained state of taking the mouse away from other people all day long...it's probably why he drinks.

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 07, 2018, 13:54   #171
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Everybody else: "Kelly is awesome! She runs marathons for fun, bakes cookies, beats all the boys at their own games, yadda yadda yadda"

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of StalinĎs thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old August 07, 2018, 14:29   #172
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Quote:

Talk nerdy to me, baby.
"I know the stories of women murdering their ways across campaigns. Riding into combat on horseback and creating rivers of blood where they went. I'll be damned if I'm going to pretend they can't be killers in their own right."
beseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 07, 2018, 15:26   #173
jcornss
Registered

Through the haze and sweat in my eyes, I missed the sign lol. No worries, thanks to your signage I found my way problem free Again, great job Kelly.
Old August 07, 2018, 20:03   #174
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornss View Post
Through the haze and sweat in my eyes, I missed the sign lol. No worries, thanks to your signage I found my way problem free Again, great job Kelly.
It'll be my name on a sign next year.

Old August 07, 2018, 21:07   #175
jcornss
Registered

Quote:
It'll be my name on a sign next year.
Old August 08, 2018, 06:52   #176
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Talk nerdy to me, baby.
Dammit, woman - now you have Poison stuck in my head! Can't we go back to 311???
Old August 08, 2018, 12:14   #177
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Video RNG Review:

Link if embedded does not work in your browser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCXSviM0V0
Watched this on my lunch break today - I love all the mud and rain! And that noise your carabiner made on my strap...it was like you had mice chasing you or something.
Old August 08, 2018, 21:58   #178
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FAL is clean and reassembled...though I haven't torqued the DSA mount back down yet...waiting for...parts.

Been a while since I did a full tear down...that was fun. (like, engineer fun) Surprising how little rust there was and how well the surface remained oiled even after all that rain and submersion.

I'll hopefully finish the comedy video tomorrow night.

Old August 08, 2018, 22:07   #179
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

I can not wait for ^ this .
Old August 09, 2018, 12:26   #180
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

We told him to add his favorite music as background. The real audio will contain 2 hours of a continuous beeping that will make the viewers think their Tinnitus has gotten worse.

I recommended the Benny Hill Theme. It seemed so fitting the most of the R/O's performances on Friday. Love the rain and mud.

Old August 09, 2018, 22:45   #181
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Uploading now...embed details are weird...this might work in a few hours...or not. I thoroughly enjoyed editing this video, and I mean every word of it, especially the apologies to the other ROs. I like to think I am rarely an A$$hole, but I am honest enough to admit when I have been...and I was.

I think I had more fun watching it all again than I had when I was there.

Thanks again, Kelly, I am still pondering the issue with the fellowship patch.

Old August 10, 2018, 05:52   #182
kotengu
Registered

"We're processessing this video. Check back later."

I can see the title screen though, and it looks awesome!
Old August 10, 2018, 07:13   #183
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

It's up!

Old August 10, 2018, 10:54   #184
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Mentioned on FaceSpace already but,... Stimp is the Bob Ross of the Gun Community! Awesome video and soothing commentary!

Old August 10, 2018, 11:21   #185
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Mentioned on FaceSpace already but,... Stimp is the Bob Ross of the Gun Community! Awesome video and soothing commentary!

Old August 10, 2018, 12:11   #186
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
It's up!
That is hilarious! And sad. And incredibly frustrating just to watch - I can't imagine what it felt like to live it.

But yet you never stopped. You never quit. Even when you knew something was off with your rifle at the first stage, and you essentially never hit anything with it the whole match. You kept going.

I don't know that I would have had the same fortitude. I'll definitely be thinking of you if it ever happens to me, and trying my best to live up to example you've set. As usual.

Not surprised in the least, but amazed. And it made the best match video I've seen in a long time. Yaknow - when you were talking about your run that night, after Kelly could finally breathe again from laughing so hard, she commented on what a great storyteller you are. I looked at her like she was crazy, and said "Whaddya mean? Storyteller? That's just how Stimp talks." But she was right, and your voiceover and video editing prove it. I guess I've just known you long enough to take it for granted. So add "excellent storyteller" to your long list of impressive skills.

Well done, sir!
Old August 10, 2018, 12:12   #187
kotengu
Registered

Ok - I'm done gushing like a schoolgirl now. Sorry if I went overboard.
Old August 10, 2018, 14:09   #188
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
That is hilarious! And sad. And incredibly frustrating just to watch - I can't imagine what it felt like to live it.

But yet you never stopped. You never quit. Even when you knew something was off with your rifle at the first stage, and you essentially never hit anything with it the whole match. You kept going.

I don't know that I would have had the same fortitude. I'll definitely be thinking of you if it ever happens to me, and trying my best to live up to example you've set. As usual.

Not surprised in the least, but amazed.
Thanks.

I refer to these kinds of things as 'shame spirals', you get stuck in a shame spiral and it won't let you go.

"Trudging? To trudge: the slow, weary, depressing yet determined walk of a man who has nothing left in life except the impulse to simply soldier on."

Quote:
"That's just how Stimp talks."
That made me smile.

Old August 10, 2018, 20:15   #189
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

No video here. Facebook? Found it on Youtube.

No matter the conditions you went through, you finished. Go on ya Stimp.

Last edited by tac-40; August 10, 2018 at 20:42.
Old August 28, 2018, 21:53   #190
NGCSUGrad09
Registered

FALaholic #: 67771
Here is my AAR of the Carolina Run and Gun. Sorry for the long length, but it was an event worth covering well. Well done Kelly, already looking forward to next year!

http://practicalsharpshooter.com/aar...un-and-gun-8k/
NGCSUGrad09 is offline   Reply With Quote