The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old June 21, 2018, 05:13   #51
JerrySexton
Registered

FALaholic #: 76812
So for starters, no I'm not too bright and yes I'm lazy. Even though having advanced opportunity, I dragged my feet on registering and got put on the wait list. My question, is there a way to know how far down the list I am? I'm just wondering whether I should be serious about training or not.
JerrySexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2018, 05:39   #52
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySexton View Post
So for starters, no I'm not too bright and yes I'm lazy. Even though having advanced opportunity, I dragged my feet on registering and got put on the wait list. My question, is there a way to know how far down the list I am? I'm just wondering whether I should be serious about training or not.
You are #22 on the waitlist for the 5k. It's hard to say whether you'll get in or not, but being a local I would tell you to train up and show up ready to run the morning of the match. I can't promise anything, but there usually are a couple no shows that we don't know about until match day and you can steal one of their slots if you're there.

Worst case, you'll be in better shape and can go home and go back to bed.
Old June 26, 2018, 15:36   #53
kotengu
Registered

I'm honored to announce Spike's Tactical has jumped on board again this year as a Stage Sponsor. And nothing is for sure until match day, but it sure sounds like we'll have a 37mm Havoc with chalk rounds to incorporate into the match.

https://www.spikestactical.com/

SF makes the call in the end, but let's just pretend for a moment you had a grenade launcher you could use in a match. How would you do it???

Old June 26, 2018, 16:10   #54
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
So first things first...you'll need a wig.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2018, 16:37   #55
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
So first things first...you'll need a wig.
Is this close enough? I only need to go back 24 years...

Old June 26, 2018, 17:40   #56
kotengu
Registered

Or did you mean I need a wig to require every competitor to put on before they're allowed to touch the grenade launcher?
Old June 26, 2018, 21:40   #57
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
And one of these to go along with the wig!!!

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2018, 11:53   #58
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
Or did you mean I need a wig to require every competitor to put on before they're allowed to touch the grenade launcher?
That.

Old June 27, 2018, 11:53   #59
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Is this close enough? I only need to go back 24 years...

My God...the angst in that photo has a physical presence.

Also...Johnny's long lost brother?

Old June 27, 2018, 22:32   #60
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
That.
Hahaha - I like this way much better. And as for angst: I was 18, very full of myself, about ten minutes from playing in a heavy metal concert, and desperately in need of a good humbling. Which I have received in spades.
Old June 29, 2018, 08:12   #61
kotengu
Registered

Only a Green Beret can call out Lanny Oakley, JP Enterprises, Bryan Ray's "lacking pistol skills" and Chris Hemsworth!

The Rockcastle Gun Show on ESPN Radio dedicated an entire hour yesterday to allow three active duty 5th Special Forces Group Green Berets to talk about the 2018 Legion 9/11 Memorial Run N Gun, presented by Alan's Arsenal and the Special Forces Association, Chapter 38.

If you're coming to this match, you NEED to download and listen to this broadcast to hear what you have coming. And if you're not coming to this match, you need to listen anyway and find out why you need to come out to Rockcastle on Sept 7 - 9 to support the SFA, shoot some awesome side matches, and rub elbows with some very impressive people.

http://rockcastlegunshow.libsyn.com/...le-gun-show-81
Old June 29, 2018, 08:32   #62
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
Hahaha - I like this way much better. And as for angst: I was 18, very full of myself, about ten minutes from playing in a heavy metal concert, and desperately in need of a good humbling. Which I have received in spades.
Yuttz!!!! If I go back 24 year (1994), I had already begun the journey of the good humbling!!!

Old June 29, 2018, 12:36   #63
kotengu
Registered

What a pretty young Captain you made!
Old June 29, 2018, 13:14   #64
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
What a pretty young Captain you made!
Corporal (Cpl) not Captain (Capt), there youngling! I'd have been 23, almost 24 in that picture! Already into second Enlistment.
Old June 29, 2018, 17:08   #65
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Young, Dumb, and full of

Numb (Nuttz).
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2018, 18:31   #66
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Young, Dumb, and full of

Numb (Nuttz).
Hahaha! Sorry for the Cpt faux pas. The "l" was blurry and I ass-u-me d.
Old July 03, 2018, 18:53   #67
kotengu
Registered

More match DOPE! Ever shoot a clay that was launched by falling steel? With your pistol? Be prepared if you're running the 10k. #runwiththelegion #strengthandhonor
#deoppressoliber

Big thanks to WSRC Pistol and Multigun Competitions, @sig_glockincolt and @bilodeau13 for setting this up to show our shooters how it's done and that it's doable. @tacticalsht will be at the match representing our amazing sponsor pool. Better go train!

If you practice this, be sure you have a big enough backstop. Do NOT launch pistol rounds into the air willy-nilly.

Also - shotshells in your pistol (or a shotgun) is ONLY allowed for Tier 1. 45 lbs just started looking better...
Old July 03, 2018, 19:06   #68
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Ever shoot a clay that was launched by falling steel?
I just did this last week and hit 2 for 2 at the Oregon FAL shoot

….with a shotgun

Are you trying to make Stimp look like a slacker with his little twists????
Old July 03, 2018, 21:03   #69
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
I just did this last week and hit 2 for 2 at the Oregon FAL shoot

….with a shotgun

Are you trying to make Stimp look like a slacker with his little twists????
Not ME, man - these evil ideas come from men much more...well...MORE than me.
Old July 09, 2018, 14:49   #70
kotengu
Registered

Attn: any Active Duty personnel: Christopher Gillis of Southern Custom Guns signed up for the 10k and has a conflict. Instead of withdrawing and getting a full refund, he'd like to donate his spot to an Active Duty military person.

Any branch is fine - the first one to contact me at mstennett@twlakes.net by timestamp gets it. And this is the honor system - if you claim to be AD military and you're not, it's between you and all of the SF personnel onsite who will likely want to talk with you about it. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/S.G.G.LLC/?...mF7gQBMKU5Q6Yw
Old July 13, 2018, 21:30   #71
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Attn: any Active Duty personnel: Christopher Gillis of Southern Custom Guns signed up for the 10k and has a conflict. Instead of withdrawing and getting a full refund, he'd like to donate his spot to an Active Duty military person.

Any branch is fine - the first one to contact me at mstennett@twlakes.net by timestamp gets it. And this is the honor system - if you claim to be AD military and you're not, it's between you and all of the SF personnel onsite who will likely want to talk with you about it. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/S.G.G.LLC/?...mF7gQBMKU5Q6Yw
I am thrilled to award this donated slot to Spc Randall, CTRP “Shadow” 1-33CAV, 3BCT “Rakkasans “, 101ABN. He's going to go Tier One and run the event at his full Mortar fighting load weight.

The perfect candidate!
Old July 19, 2018, 15:39   #72
kotengu
Registered

I am amazed at people's kindness: Robert Hundley had to cancel, and instead of getting a $100 refund for the 10k he donated his slot to the next shooter on the waitlist "because this is for such a good cause". I've contacted that shooter and let him know - not only did he just get in, but he got in for free!

I also told him he'd better bring plenty of cash for the side matches and other fund-raising goings-on to make up for his good fortune. :-)

And since I was in the registration data anyway, I had to pull some stats. We have 21 5th Group guys currently signed up out of 158 total competitors. And here's the other data summarized:

Old July 23, 2018, 07:40   #73
jcornss
Registered

FALaholic #: 37954
Maybe I missed it, but has the round count or longest rifle shot been determined yet? I'm working on an ultra light ar build and am trying to decide if I should go irons or not.
jcornss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018, 13:40   #74
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcornss View Post
Maybe I missed it, but has the round count or longest rifle shot been determined yet? I'm working on an ultra light ar build and am trying to decide if I should go irons or not.
Longest shot will be 300yds. Round count has not been announced yet, but I hope to have it out soon.
Old August 02, 2018, 09:31   #75
kotengu
Registered

I've had a few RO cancellations recently, so I need to find two more volunteers. You'll run/work Friday, and then work all day Saturday and Sunday. I can promise you that you'll work your butt off all three days, and have both frustrations and plenty of last-minute changes to deal with along the way

But you'll also have one of the most rewarding experiences of your life - working with these guys really is a treasure. And you'll get a comped run slot, half-price hotel room, and lunch provided and delivered Saturday and Sunday.

Preference given to anyone who has RO'd a RNG before. This is going to be a pretty complex match and I need experienced people who can move quickly for three days straight. If you haven't ROd a RNG before but would still like to help don't be shy - just let me know who you are and how you're qualified and we'll go from there.

Email me at mstennett-at-twlakes-dot-net if you're interested.
Old August 06, 2018, 14:49   #76
kotengu
Registered

Round Count: It's complicated. :-)

First of all - the Group guys in general hate the idea of shooting anything with a pre-prescribed number of shots. If they see a threat, they engage the threat until it is no longer threatening. Or as Matt Sipe says: "shoot it until it changes shape or catches fire." Since we haven't figured out a way to do that at a match, they went back over various encounters they've had and tried to guess at an average number of times they shot something with various weapons. That's how we came up with 3 shots to neutralize a paper rifle target and 5 shots to neutralize a paper pistol target. Oh yeah - and D-zone hits don't count.

Second - you will have some options on what you shoot and how. I'll let Tier 1 guys figure out their own game plans based on the target counts, but in general pistol targets must be hit with pistol rounds and rifle targets must be hit with rifle rounds. Steel and clay pistol targets CAN be engaged with shotgun birdshot ONLY if you are shooting Tier 1 and decide to carry a shotgun. Shotguns are not allowed on paper targets - mostly because I don't want to paste that many holes!

And finally - one stage has 9 total paper targets that can be engaged with either pistol or rifle, or any combination of the two. Just know you have to get 5 hits if you use pistol or 3 hits if you use rifle. And if you're smart (or lucky), you may not have to engage all the targets. You'll see...

So all that to say: here's the required hit count on various targets. The totals at the bottom assume you have to engage every target just to be safe. I'd recommend carrying AT LEAST double that amount of ammo - but that's totally up to you. Group guys definitely change their equipment to match the mission - you should do the same.

Old August 06, 2018, 15:02   #77
kotengu
Registered

Just a reminder: August 9th (Thursday) is 30 days before match day. The refund policy is non-negotiable:

Full refunds will be given if you withdraw more than 30 days before the match. Half your fee will be refunded if you withdraw between 14-29 days before the match. NO REFUND will be given if you withdraw less than 14 days before the match.
Old August 06, 2018, 20:50   #78
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 75901
Got the RO assignments today!! Looks like Ill be working in the cavesies with Jimmy and el tigre.

Old August 07, 2018, 06:04   #79
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by beseventeen View Post
Got the RO assignments today!! Looks like Ill be working in the cavesies with Jimmy and el tigre.
I try to rotate cave duty so nobody gets stuck down there all the time. So it is quite literally "your turn in the hole".
Old August 07, 2018, 14:28   #80
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I try to rotate cave duty so nobody gets stuck down there all the time. So it is quite literally "your turn in the hole".
Oh I'm excited. I just can't believe we have made it 24+ hours without Jimmy making some kind innuendo about sharing a cave together
Old August 07, 2018, 16:22   #81
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Oh I'm excited. I just can't believe we have made it 24+ hours without Jimmy making some kind innuendo about sharing a cave together
He does have to work a day job sometime - I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
Old August 08, 2018, 08:46   #82
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:

LOL

You should get a couple of fake gold rings and leave them lying around down there.

Old August 09, 2018, 12:18   #83
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
He does have to work a day job sometime - I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
Old August 09, 2018, 16:06   #84
kotengu
Registered

Is it wrong to be excited to find a horse saddle and night vision goggles? Asking for a friend...
Old August 10, 2018, 04:52   #85
ElTigre
Registered

FALaholic #: 79507
Quote:
Is it wrong to be excited to find a horse saddle and night vision goggles? Asking for a friend...
I'm excited just reading this. So....
ElTigre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018, 14:45   #86
kotengu
Registered

Everyone knows how to shoot from a horse, right?

If you don't know the story of 5th Special Forces Group's Horse Soldiers, you should. Read the book Horse Soldiers: the Extraordinary Story of a Band of US Soldiers Who Rode to Victory in Afghanistan (https://www.amazon.com/Horse-Soldier.../dp/1416580522)

And watch the documentary Legion of Brothers (https://www.amazon.com/Legion-Brothe.../dp/B06Y4Q213B) to learn more about these amazing men.

Pro tip: the pic above is NOT the way to shoot from a horse. It's just me goofing off and testing the patience of my mighty steed.
Old August 13, 2018, 14:59   #87
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Horses are easy

I'm doing de-sensitization work with my donkeys now

Old August 13, 2018, 15:47   #88
kotengu
Registered

I love it! Is that "donkey poop" paint?
Old August 13, 2018, 15:48   #89
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Horses are easy

And I thought MY muzzle was too close to my horse's ears! Wow -
Old August 20, 2018, 15:19   #90
kotengu
Registered

Reminder: you will need a light of some kind to navigate and shoot in the cave (Stage 3). If you show up without a light you will not be allowed to shoot and will be given a zero for the stage. Weaponlights are fine to shoot with, but you'll also need a separate light to navigate parts of the cave before the shooting starts. I don't care if you carry a giant spotlight with a 12V truck battery, but you must carry it for the entire course!

If you've never been to the cave before, here's a preview video from March 2017 that will give you a better idea what to expect. The details will be different, but this is the same cave we'll be using.

Old August 22, 2018, 14:40   #91
kotengu
Registered

Reminder: This Saturday, August 25th is the cutoff to withdraw and get a 50% refund. Any withdrawals after that for any reason will get ZERO refund as per the cancellation policy. The Special Forces Association, Chapter 38 thanks you for your donation!

The best way to withdraw is through Practiscore - that time stamps and sends me an email so I can keep track of the requests and get the refunds processed.
Old August 22, 2018, 20:39   #92
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

I have sorted out how to get (10) 20rd FAL mags onto my plate-carrier, that's 200 rounds of 308. I will have (1) 15rd G19 mag in the pistol for starting line, (2) 20rd mags in mag pouches, and (2) 30rd mags in the carrier pocket for a total of 115 pistol rounds.

Looking at the round counts I am tempted to drop (2) FAL mags and go with 160 rifle and 115 pistol...but there's a certain mad genius to having extra 308 to play with at this match.

I can't wait to weigh this, but I have to load another few hundred 9mm before I can. Waiting on the G19 holster also.

Epic S___!

Old August 23, 2018, 00:11   #93
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
What the *actual* Fu(|< are you talking about?!?!

Are you really running with 10 FAL mags on your chest?

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2018, 01:47   #94
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
I was planning carrying 6 FAL mags plus some loose rounds.

But if Bruce is carrying 10 mags.

I need to add some more.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2018, 04:51   #95
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Is the guy posing or actually shooting like that, with the left arm unsupported and the left hand not looking like a rest for the rifle? Is he resting the magazine on his inner elbow or something?
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2018, 05:53   #96
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post
I was planning carrying 6 FAL mags plus some loose rounds.

But if Bruce is carrying 10 mags.

I need to add some more.
I love this place!
Old August 23, 2018, 06:04   #97
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
What the *actual* Fu(|< are you talking about?!?!

Are you really running with 10 FAL mags on your chest?

Dude will be a hunchback by the end of the match.
Old August 23, 2018, 06:27   #98
beseventeen
history of bad ideas
Contributor
Gold Contributor

I'm so stumped on how much ammo to carry (ALL OF IT). Maybe 4 rifle mags (120 rd) & 7 pistol (140 rd)? After CRNG I don't want to be dumb and run out of ammo again
Old August 23, 2018, 09:46   #99
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Is the guy posing or actually shooting like that, with the left arm unsupported and the left hand not looking like a rest for the rifle? Is he resting the magazine on his inner elbow or something?
Actually shooting. Original USMC KD course slow fire offhand shots were from unsupported position. Best one could do was curl up the left arm to tuck magazine against inner forearm (not supported in the inner elbow pocket) and beat way to create this support was rolling hand up and under with hand guard ring resting on forward hand thumb. This causes left hand to crowd ejection port, hence the glove for brass burns. Glove I used had wrist support. Some would cheat and try to position magazine pouch on warbelt to rest left elbow on. However if line coach saw this good chance of DQ and ”UnQ” on Qual day.
Old August 23, 2018, 10:20   #100
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

Carrying DSA FAL with T.A.B. Biathlon sling, M&P9 2.0 in Safariland holster, HSGI Warbelt, seven 20rd FAL mags (and 30 loose), and nine 22rd M&P mags (8 on belt one in pistol) = 170rifle and 199pistol.