Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old April 19, 2019, 08:22   #1
Shootability
shootabilityusa.com
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6448
Ruger American 6.5 Cr

I went into our local shop to look for a hunting rifle to leave at the farm that was lighter than my "good" rifle and found a 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger American with a detachable box mag for 400 (incl a Tasco scope which I will not use). It weighs about 6.5lbs - ugly ass stock but it should be a good rifle to carry easily.

I was amazed at the accuracy - my handloads stacked on top of each other at 100 yards - recoil is light and trigger is at least good enough.

I would recommend it - doubt there are many rifles at the price that can touch the value and accuracy.

The included magazine looks flimsy.

The barrel is threaded.

Last edited by Shootability; April 19, 2019 at 08:28.
Shootability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019, 08:39   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
These sell well out here and have gotten plenty of praise for accuracy and carryability. The only down check has been during the use of a suppressor. The point of impact shift is reported to be significant, as in 6+ inches, depending on the make and model of the suppressor.

There were no other barrel profile options offered at the time I was looking. For that reason only, I opted for a Savage with a heavier barrel profile. Had I not been wanting to suppress my hunting rifle, I would have picked up the Ruger.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2019, 08:46   #3
Shootability
shootabilityusa.com
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6448
That is interesting on the suppressor - I don't have one at this time but it is on the future list. I like the Savage rifles but wanted a lighter rifle.
Shootability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 05:51   #4
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I have an American in 7.62x39 and am quite pleased with it. On the 6.5, I didn't see the point of mating a "long range precision cartridge" to a field rifle. It would have been adding another caliber. However, if you look beyond what the 6.5 is "supposed" to be vs what it can do in that particular rifle, it is probably a good combination. I have a Rem 700 in .260 and I like it.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2019, 16:26   #5
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
I have an American in 7.62x39 and am quite pleased with it. On the 6.5, I didn't see the point of mating a "long range precision cartridge" to a field rifle. It would have been adding another caliber. However, if you look beyond what the 6.5 is "supposed" to be vs what it can do in that particular rifle, it is probably a good combination. I have a Rem 700 in .260 and I like it.

krf
I chose the 6.5 for my hunting rifle because my shoulder was tired of the beating it took from Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight in 30-06. Recoil was that factor alone. I already had an RPR in 6.5 and really liked the cartridge. Looked at the .260 too. Side by side with the 6.5, it was almost a dead heat. Ammo for the 6.5 was more diverse in bullet weight and type than the .260.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2019, 10:04   #6
Bladewurk
Registered

FALaholic #: 12195
Yep agree on all points of the RA6.5. I got the predator with AI mag instead of rotary and love it! It has a slightly heavier barrel with vais type brake .
Shooter!
Old May 22, 2019, 05:16   #7
stewardlumy
Registered

FALaholic #: 82557

I am also agree with RA6.5 all points and like that stuff ....
stewardlumy is offline   Reply With Quote