Notices

Old May 22, 2019, 07:54   #1
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Its raining T48s....hallelujah

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/814851809

Someones been busy

Last edited by Impala_Guy; May 22, 2019 at 08:07.
Impala_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 08:14   #2
limeyinaz
Registered

FALaholic #: 2862
Appears to me that is a Type III receiver, milled into a Type I.

Nice spiel, with built in plausible deniability:

Quote:
My guess is that this was a One of a Kind Special Presentation / Gift / Prototype from FN to a Browning USA VIP.
Old May 22, 2019, 08:30   #3
Flypaper
Craftsman
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 71040
He has quite a story, Ill give him that.
Old May 22, 2019, 08:39   #4
FMFSL7.62DJK
Registered

FALaholic #: 80876
Quote:
Originally Posted by limeyinaz View Post
Appears to me that is a Type III receiver, milled into a Type I.

Nice spiel, with built in plausible deniability:
I think you are right, it looks like a 1980s type three with type 1 cuts
it even has the machine marks of that era
Stock is refinished to match forend

Without legit documentation , you would have to be nuts to bid on this
FMFSL7.62DJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 08:59   #5
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Buy the gun, not the story.

Wrong FN roll marks on upper receiver for 1962:

Should be

Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre Herstal Belgique

not

Fabrique Nationale Herstal

Serious $$ asked for what may be an FN forgery. Caveat Emptor.
Old May 22, 2019, 09:28   #6
Impala_Guy
Registered

Well, the lightening cuts on the left side of the receiver aren't even straight, so theres that.......
Old May 22, 2019, 09:30   #7
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
GSFN were the stripped FN receivers that Gun South imported in the late 1980's. They are GSFN001-100.

The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous. Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates

Last edited by 4markk; May 22, 2019 at 16:35.
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 09:37   #8
FMFSL7.62DJK
Registered

C1A1 butt plate as well
Old May 22, 2019, 09:38   #9
FMFSL7.62DJK
Registered

the Belgian proof on the DSA style flash hider is strange though
Old May 22, 2019, 09:49   #10
4markk
Military Observer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 31134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolero1911 View Post
Buy the gun, not the story.

Serious $$ asked for what may be an FN forgery. Caveat Emptor.
At $2,000, Id agree with that statement. At $25,000 hes selling the story. Which is fraudulent, in my opinion.

The worst thing about growing old is that other men stop seeing you as dangerous. Act Of Valor

"A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends." Socrates
4markk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 09:50   #11
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4markk View Post
GSFN were the stripped FN receivers that Gun South imported in 1989. They are GSFN001-0100.
And they were all Type III receivers, I believe.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 10:42   #12
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Pic 38 shows a odd proof for a Belgian gun, or am I incorrect?

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 10:44   #13
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
So it is a modified receiver, imported into USA certainly after 1973 when the Type III were released; as GSFN (as noted) it's a mid-80s import.

FN had no factory in USA then, though any work could have been sub-contracted. I suppose.

In any event, it isn't what he says it is...not even close. Remember than in the late 80s and early 90s Armscorp sold NOS T48 HG for $99 and both FN barrels and beautiful stocks were, while not quite as inexpensive, still reasonably affordable. In other words, when this was fabricated in the 1980s it didn't cost as much to do so, as compared to today.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:30   #14
limeyinaz
Registered

FALaholic #: 2862
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4markk View Post
GSFN were the stripped FN receivers that Gun South imported in 1989. They are GSFN001-0100.
I had thought this was a stripped FN receiver, imported by Gun South (I have seen some of these receivers built up by GS), but was unsure because of the markings on the left side of the receiver.

I would have thought these would have been marked the same as others of the period:

".308 Match" vs "FAL Cal .308"
Old May 22, 2019, 12:02   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Type 3 machined to type 1 by Fred Johnson, Ken Elmore and that guy from SOG back around 1990. Stripped receiver looks legit. I've had several of GS over the years and vaguely remember also GSFN prefix. The main identifier is the "Made in Belgium" is to close to the lightening cut because they had to cut off the import line. And the corner chamfer of the lightening cut is a little off and missing from the inside edge - and it's tapered which is more sloppy than normal. I'm guessing this is one of their first attempts. Also lightening cut on mag well wrong both in dimension and non-perpendicular cutter. These are the same people who finished out some to the L1A1 and they say "SLR" in obnoxiously large characters. I know how hard these are to do, as I've machined many type 3s into type 1s, and they did a pretty good job. Remember it was on manual machines.

The mark on the DSA flash hider is an L for left, there was also an R for right.

Missing T48 handguard hanger, probably IMBEL or argy front sight, refinished as park only surfaces are painted (under gas regulator), locking shoulder installed twice - the first time crooked, hinge pin on a commercial should be blued, dents on R f-sight wing is under finish. Of course, it won't cycle on grenade or with the gas regulator out. FA b/c and no SA trigger plunger. Possibly a tab welded on a FA sector - can't tell but appears to be a wave there.

Pretty nice early replica. I'd say $3000 is fair.

Last edited by gunplumber; May 22, 2019 at 13:29.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 13:26   #16
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Do you think someone will swallow it hook,line and whatever?
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 13:56   #17
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
At that price I'd take 2..
hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2019, 16:16   #18
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Given the above astute observations from Master FALaholics, I would say that the seller is raining BS instead of T48s.

Jarhead
Old May 23, 2019, 05:47   #19
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
A terribly done fake. Receiver lightening cuts and magazine well are amatrurish, serial number was scrubbed and relocated from the magazine well and the late locking lever is a major goof as is the flash hider.
Old May 23, 2019, 07:21   #20
hardheaded
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
I wouldn't mind owning that rifle BUT not at that price
Old May 23, 2019, 08:28   #21
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
serial number was scrubbed and relocated from the magazine well
You really are an idiot.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:39   #22
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
I wouldn't mind owning that rifle BUT not at that price
Before being boogered that receiver was originally $450 in 1985 and now would command $1000-$1500.
Whomever put that together did not put much research into a T48 as there are errors all over the thing.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:57   #23
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Before being boogered that receiver was originally $450 in 1985 and now would command $1000-$1500.
Whomever put that together did not put much research into a T48 as there are errors all over the thing.
Like I said, you're an idiot.

The guys who were putting it together never claimed it was a T48. They just had these parts and those receivers and put together whatever they felt like. And converted the receviers - because they could! The only thing T48 is the handguards, which used to be a lot more common. The seller is the one pretending it to be a T48.

I bought some of Fred's T48 handguards and put one on a SAC Argie. So Dak To (the completely discredited liar, slandered and overall fraud) will announce - "gee that builder didn't know T48s very well!"

What a idiot!
Old May 23, 2019, 13:47   #24
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
I'm with Mark on this one.

Back then no one was building purist guns for today's nosepickers
It was all about individual taste

Didn't matter what kind of rifle either
FALs, ARs, AKs, HKs
We modded them all up, built utterly unique guns to our own eye of functional beauty.

Today nosepickers get all anal over incorrect features
It all seems silly in my opinion in that they are usually being built on an American clone receiver. It NEVER then will be an honest Belgian, Commonwealth or Izzy gun...just a damn knock off no matter how much you sink into perfect parts. The core of it is still not real.

So if someone obtains a modern 1874 Sharps receiver and builds it with vintage bits, is it a Collectible gun ?
much less a rarity ?
Not in my book
To be marginally so you need to build around an actual vintage receiver
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 13:58   #25
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
I'm with Mark on this one.

Back then no one was building purist guns for today's nosepickers
It was all about individual taste

Didn't matter what kind of rifle either
FALs, ARs, AKs, HKs
We modded them all up, built utterly unique guns to our own eye of functional beauty.

Today nosepickers get all anal over incorrect features
It all seems silly in my opinion in that they are usually being built on an American clone receiver. It NEVER then will be an honest Belgian, Commonwealth or Izzy gun...just a damn knock off no matter how much you sink into perfect parts. The core of it is still not real.

So if someone obtains a modern 1874 Sharps receiver and builds it with vintage bits, is it a Collectible gun ?
much less a rarity ?
Not in my book
To be marginally so you need to build around an actual vintage receiver
My word, the three of us all agreeing on the same thing! I build for functional use, not collecting. The GB seller is passing that thing off as a special item, and pricing it as a rare one of a kind. While one of a kind, it certainly isn't rare in the respect of being worth the asking price. It's a shootable clone, worth the sum of it's parts, just like the rest of the clones out there.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
Old May 23, 2019, 15:08   #26
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
My word, the three of us all agreeing on the same thing! I build for functional use, not collecting. The GB seller is passing that thing off as a special item, and pricing it as a rare one of a kind. While one of a kind, it certainly isn't rare in the respect of being worth the asking price. It's a shootable clone, worth the sum of it's parts, just like the rest of the clones out there.
Well, a good deal of it isn't built around dishonesty but rather straight simple ignorance. Many vendors don't have a clue, if it looks pretty close to it, it is it kinda' deal.

Many of these old school builds are coming out of closets as folks pass or age out of the game. My opinion, that's the situation with some of the sear cut Belgian builds we are seeing. Again, back in the 90s surplus receivers were being mailed stateside pretty cheap from the Eurozone. For a few hundred bux one could throw together an honest Belgian FAL regardless of the laws here.

This fascination in building "collectors" pieces for the sake of building them is actually pretty new in milsurps
It's infected pretty much everything now and will result in a heck of a problem down the road for both sellers & buyers.

Mark's doing lovely work remilling type III imbels to L1 pattern...tremendous quality of workmanship. Thing is when one turns up at Joe's Gun Garage in the future Joe will likely be seeing it as a rare gun

This isn't any different than the situations elsewhere though
I'm not faulting folks for wanting near perfect period builds either by any means
Old May 23, 2019, 19:03   #27
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

I believe many of us collectors and some shooters build FAL's as close to original as possible. That is, having the correct receiver on the FN FAL contract and all the correct contract parts.

Late 1980's and early 1990's the Type 3 was the dominate import receiver and some US made. (ARMSCORP and some Century) This is why you will see so many early $99 metric and inch parts kits with Type 3 receivers over the years.
US manufactured Type 1 & 2 receivers in numbers changed all that as purist finally acquired close to original the receivers they prized for so many years.
Old May 23, 2019, 19:07   #28
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I believe many of us collectors and some shooters build FAL's as close to original as possible. That is, having the correct receiver on the FN FAL contract and all the correct contract parts.

Late 1980's and early 1990's the Type 3 was the dominate import receiver and some US made. (ARMSCORP and some Century) This is why you will see so many early $99 metric and inch parts kits with Type 3 receivers over the years.
US manufactured Type 1 & 2 receivers in numbers changed all that as purist finally acquired close to original the receivers they prized for so many years.
sorry
a DSA, Enterprise or Coonan receiver will never be correct
You have a parts gun at best Dak
Old May 23, 2019, 20:49   #29
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Type 3 machined to type 1 by Fred Johnson, Ken Elmore and that guy from SOG back around 1990. These are the same people who finished out some to the L1A1 and they say "SLR" in obnoxiously large characters. .
Like this billboard?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old May 23, 2019, 21:35   #30
Impala_Guy
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
Like this billboard?

[IMG][/IMG]
I need that lower, and those safety and take down levers. Is it possible to have a real BSA lower like that without a serial number?

Last edited by Impala_Guy; May 23, 2019 at 22:14.
Impala_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2019, 22:37   #31
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
I need that lower, and those safety and take down levers. Is it possible to have a real BSA lower like that without a serial number?
Good question. Dont know actually. This was a gun show find that the owner thought he had purchased through ARS years ago, and it ended up not being the case. It was a SOG / Fred Johnson, Ken Elmore build that Mark was just talking about.
Not exactly correct but its a really nice shooter, with a giant billboard SLR on the side. Id love to know more about it.
Old May 24, 2019, 00:04   #32
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redoubt View Post
Like this billboard?
Yep. Ugly as sin by today's standards. Just put it context of what was possible for a small shop 30 years ago.
Old May 24, 2019, 00:12   #33
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Thing is when one turns up at Joe's Gun Garage in the future Joe will likely be seeing it as a rare gun
I used to stamp or CNC engrave

CAI-IMBEL
ARS REPO

under the receiver ring.

Now I can laser cut PARS-IMBEL or CAI-IMBEL in the mag well.

I have no intention to pretend it anything it is not - a replica. But I understand that things may be different long after I'm dead. So I put my mark somewhere. Like the PARS in the magwell here.

Old May 24, 2019, 00:15   #34
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
Is it possible to have a real BSA lower like that without a serial number?
Yes, Aussie used UK lowers with number on R side. Not terribly rare to find UK lowers with Aussie "AD" numbers although I can't recall an aussie lower with UK serial number. After 1960?, Australia switched from L side (like UK) to right side. They realized that with wear, the charge handle would bugger the serial number. Apparently, UK never grasped this, so we have examples of illegible serial numbers with it replicated underneath - sometimes by hand stamp.

Also, I've had a few where the UK serial number was so shallow I could sand it off instead of machining a groove to restamp but the date code was deep.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:38   #35
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
sorry
a DSA, Enterprise or Coonan receiver will never be correct
You have a parts gun at best Dak
Sure it is an original parts FAL with an aftermarket receiver which represents about 95% or more of the FAL's in private possession today.
I remember back in the 1980's when Argentine and Brazilian imports were thought of as third world junk by some. Once they were import banned, off the market and selling prices did rise in resale the attitude changed as they gained respect along with the GSI and some Steyr imports.

I do own a couple of original FAL's and SLR's and there they sit unsullied as an investment in a very narrow resale market.
The FAL's built on aftermarket receivers I enjoy the most because I can decide which changes in furniture, refinish and additional bells & whistles I can add or remove and still sell it quickly at a fair and increase in investment price.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:28   #36
auggiedoggie
Registered

FALaholic #: 80476
I wrote to the seller and sent him a link to this thread. He responded to me and its below. He sounds like a decent guy.

I am awaiting info. on this gun from FN.
None of the receiver marking are the same as the Gun South imported stripped receivers. And the GSFN/005 mark is stamped on the receiver bottom in a hardened area. If you have the FAL book by Stevens, see page 300. FN marked their Presentation/Gift models with the same serial prefix.
The dealer this came from sold the bulk of his FN FAL collection to Dave Selvaggio (DSA Arms) when Dave was driving a snow plow, long before he became a major player in the FAL market. I should have bought them all but hindsight is 20/20. I have had this long before laser engraving and the internet existed. I really don't put a lot of credibility in forum posters opinions.
If the gun turns out not to be right, I will re-list at my cost, which today is about shooter prices.
Best,
Dennis
auggiedoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2019, 15:06   #37
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by auggiedoggie View Post
I wrote to the seller and sent him a link to this thread. He responded to me and its below. He sounds like a decent guy.

I am awaiting info. on this gun from FN.
None of the receiver marking are the same as the Gun South imported stripped receivers. And the GSFN/005 mark is stamped on the receiver bottom in a hardened area. If you have the FAL book by Stevens, see page 300. FN marked their Presentation/Gift models with the same serial prefix.

If the gun turns out not to be right, I will re-list at my cost, which today is about shooter prices.
Best,
Dennis

Now where did I hear this tale before?

"The dealer this came from sold the bulk of his FN FAL collection to Dave Selvaggio (DSA Arms) when Dave was driving a snow plow, long before he became a major player in the FAL market. I should have bought them all but hindsight is 20/20. I have had this long before laser engraving and the internet existed. I really don't put a lot of credibility in forum posters opinions."

Old May 24, 2019, 15:54   #38
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
I have had this long before laser engraving and the internet existed. I really don't put a lot of credibility in forum posters opinions."
Who said it was laser engraved? I'd obviously machined. Not stamped, not laser-engraved.

FN marked may have marked presentation as G1234 But G1234 is not GS1234 or GSFN 1234, which is Gun South.
Old May 24, 2019, 19:28   #39
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Who said it was laser engraved? I'd obviously machined. Not stamped, not laser-engraved.

FN marked may have marked presentation as G1234 But G1234 is not GS1234 or GSFN 1234, which is Gun South.
Don't know Mark, I was quoting the GB seller.