The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Glock Files

Notices

Old May 05, 2019, 20:07   #1
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
What's better than a new Glock?

A free new Glock! I pulled an envelope out of the mailbox yesterday with a Glock pistol certificate in it. Seems I got random drawn from a Glock match I worked/shot back in February. This is the third year I have ROed the local match and before now it has just been lunch and a little Glock swag (hats, mats, mags, knife, etc.) I have left with besides brass and sunburns.

And to think, I almost did not RO this year, as my sorry-ness was catching up with me. I finally said no dammit, I can either sit down and die or get off my ass and get out there. I'm glad I did and not just because I ended up winning a pistol, but a free gun sure does not hurt. Come to poppa my new Gen 5!

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2019, 20:19   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Sweet! Which Gen5 model are you thinking?

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2019, 22:46   #3
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
Anything!!
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 05, 2019, 23:00   #4
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Sell it and by a 2nd or 3rd Gen.

One of my friends (and his wife, and his two now-adult kids) are all serious Glock match competitors - on the cover of Glock Magazine at one point (GSSF Vol II 199 when the boys were young) and so I transfer the guns they "win" every so often. Always "stock".

But I gotta say, I'm not impressed with the Gen 4 and the Gen 5 is just a joke.

All (14?) of my Glock 9s are Gen 1-3

Yeah, My Gen 1 still sits above my office desk. MP 648. Have maybe 10k rounds through it. Its twin stays in may car. Moved up to 3rd Gen for my nightstand, 'cause I wanted a light. But when my son brought me his 4th Gen to sand down the texture, I had to wonder how anyone thought it an improvement.

Last edited by gunplumber; May 05, 2019 at 23:10.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2019, 10:00   #5
Timber Wolf
Registered

What don't you like about the Gen 4? I have a Gen 4 G34 and it feels, and shoots pretty good pretty good. I have Gen 2s & 3s and do generally like the Gen 2s a little better,. I don't need a light on any of these at this point and don't know who the finger grooves are supposed to fit. I know they don't fit me.

As to what to get, it is either a G29SF, G45, or probably pay the upcharge and get a Gen 5 G34MOS.

Old May 06, 2019, 10:08   #6
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
What's better than a free Gen 5 Glock? A free Gen 3 Glock..

If you don't own a G20 SF, get one of those..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2019, 10:36   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
The finger grooves don't fit me either - I grind those off.

I don't like incompatibility with any previous. And I hate the texture.
Old May 06, 2019, 15:05   #8
Timber Wolf
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
What's better than a free Gen 5 Glock? A free Gen 3 Glock..

If you don't own a G20 SF, get one of those..
If I did not still have my first Glock, a Gen 2 G20, I might just do that. Except they chamber the XDm in 10mm now and I like my XDms better than Glocks. Yep, I said it in my own Glock thread.

The only Gen 5 I have felt was a quickie gunshow fondle of a new G45, and I thought it felt pretty good at the time. Looked good too, for a Glock. Nobody else is giving me any guns. I own two boat loads* each of Remingtons & Rugers and Ruger corporate has never given me anything but a hard time and Remington not even that.

*Before the tragic boating accident of course.

Last edited by Timber Wolf; May 06, 2019 at 15:13.
Old May 06, 2019, 18:14   #9
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
"What's better than a new Glock ?"

That's an easy one - a new 1911

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee

Last edited by J. Armstrong; May 06, 2019 at 20:50.
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 11:24   #10
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
a spanish ruby auto, or a cheap german made pot metal 22 revolver, or a boomerang...or just about anything else.

If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2019, 11:46   #11
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
A lot of people in the shooting competitions have been going to the S&W M&P for production class

I've asked them why they switched but they're such hardcore Glock fans all they do is some kind of circle talk and end up saying the M&P is a better pistol

Anybody have direct experience with both?
Old May 14, 2019, 22:26   #12
spider991
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 35820
As far as a new glock, I'm waiting for a Gen 5 model 20...mmmm.
spider991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019, 00:04   #13
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
The new G45 has a better feeling grip, but is not the cats meow of glocks. The sights are set up to "drive the dot".......which means putting the dot of the front sight where you want the bullet to strike, like if you were using a red dot sight.

I use a 6 o'clock hold so I changed the sights. Also, the trigger has been called the best Glock trigger ever. Except it ain't. Contact surfaces are rough as a cob. After careful stoning it's on par with a Gen 3 and 4.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2019, 00:43   #14
chino*74
Registered

FALaholic #: 75409
I have several Gen 3 Glocks they are my favorite however, have one newer Gen 4 a G30 in .45 that is pretty nice....I like the newer frame / grip texture but still all my Glocks require Talons grip panels or skater tape at a minimum. As far as the enlarged & reversible mag release & the grip inserts I have no use for them at all and I am left handed, but I usually use my left index finger to release the magazine on my SA guns.
Old May 15, 2019, 00:50   #15
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Quote:
What's better than a new Glock?
A good cigar by far! Coconut water by 3! A healthy crap by 5! We could go on and on....

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2019, 17:09   #16
Timber Wolf
Registered

Well it looks like I am going to opt for the Gen 5 G34 MOS. I was leaning toward a G17 MOS but ended up selling my Gen 4 G34 (for just what I had in it) to a bud so will replace it and have the option of adding a dot. Trouble is, by the time I pay the upgrade fee for the 34 w/MOS, and buy a quality dot to go on it, I will be a $100 in the hole. "Free" gun indeed.

Old May 21, 2019, 02:47   #17
stewardlumy
Registered

FALaholic #: 82557

I think you should sell this and buy a new one with 2nd or 3rd generation that's the amazing pistol i ever tested ....
stewardlumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 20:15   #18
TerryN
Registered

FALaholic #: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
A lot of people in the shooting competitions have been going to the S&W M&P for production class

I've asked them why they switched but they're such hardcore Glock fans all they do is some kind of circle talk and end up saying the M&P is a better pistol

Anybody have direct experience with both?
I own an S&W M&P .45 Compact and own or have owned several Glocks - 32, 33, 22, 36, 26 of different generations. For an old 1911 shooter, the triggers on both guns suck. The M&P trigger can, however, be significantly improved with aftermarket parts - the very few aftermarket parts that are available. The M&P 2.0 is slightly better than the original in that regard. Aftermarket Glock trigger parts make it suck slightly less, but the trigger still sucks. The M&P fits my large hands much better, and the different backstraps make it much more adaptable than a Glock without removing polymer from the grip frame. The grip angle of the M&P is much more natural for me than the Glock.

When I concurrently owned a G36 and the M&P, I found that the double-stack S&W mags would easily fit into the (single-stack) Glock mag well. The pistols were very nearly identical in size - the Smith was perhaps 1/8" wider, and it holds more ammo. I sold the Glock and never looked back.
Old May 29, 2019, 07:57   #19
PARA FN FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 17487
The gen 3 Glocks fit my hand perfectly. I to use rubber grips or skater tape on the grip as well. The 80 percent lower G19s are sweet in my hand as they go up into the trigger guard farther than the Glock19. This allows me to hold the 80% G19 without having my little finger dangling off into space. Also the textured grip on these is excellent as well. As for the S&W being a better gun I just don't see that much of a difference to make that claim. And there are a ton of Glock accessories out there at reasonable prices.
PARA FN FAL is offline   Reply With Quote