Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old April 21, 2019, 18:46   #1
Heisser Mann
Registered

FALaholic #: 80843
Location: Firearms talk is main reason for joining from: Kingman Arizona
Zastava Mausers any opinions?q

I was dismayed to see CZ has pretty much gone to push feeders and want a Mannlicher Mauser in 06 or 308. I see Zastava makes them, anyone tried them, own any, have experience dealing with the company? Thanks for any info!

Last edited by Heisser Mann; April 21, 2019 at 23:16.
Heisser Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019, 09:29   #2
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Can't be of much help, but I have a .22 bolt gun from them. Built like a tank, but needed some sharp edges removed along with a bit of polishing on the Bolt and action. Remington sold these for a while as their Model 5 I believe, but never did actually see one.

The centerfire Models were also sold by Remy as a Model 598?. I was interested, but couldn't find one of those to look at either.

At one time a few years ago, the Zastavia M70 Mauser was about the best bang for a buck available. Now, it looks like the prices are up to a level where it isn't much of a bargain anymore.

The reviews I've seen are generally quite good and the rifles are as handsome as any, but it seems they are getting popular and I would want to get my hands on one before I plunked $800 down for it.

Used CZ 550 FS's and new Ruger 77 Hawkeyes can be had at that price range. I have found both lightly used for several hundred dollars less.
Old April 22, 2019, 18:20   #3
Tferron
Registered

FALaholic #: 10178
Zastava Mausers

Have owned 3 or 4 over the years, one a Interarms Mark X, still own that one, great gun, very accurate in 7x57. Another a Herters J9 in 7 mm Magnum, another very accurate one. This was an early one, replaced trigger with one from an Interarms that had a side sliding safety. Last 2 were M48 and an early 1927 model? both full dress military. Barrels were both new, shot great. So Id have to say the ones Ive owned(own) have been great. YMMV
Tferron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019, 19:05   #4
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Interarms Mark X actions are fantastic and can still be had for reasonable prices if you look around.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019, 19:37   #5
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Can't be of much help, but I have a .22 bolt gun from them. Built like a tank, but needed some sharp edges removed along with a bit of polishing on the Bolt and action. Remington sold these for a while as their Model 5 I believe, but never did actually see one.
Funny you mentioned it; it is the one I was talking about in http://falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439858.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2019, 19:54   #6
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
I read that thread, but didn't have any contribution of significant value to add.

I can now see why you asked the question. Those pogues are tighter and stiffer than the average 22. Love the twin extractors.

Firing a couple thousand rounds thru it will smooth it a bit, but I went at it with small Arkansas stones and Crocus cloth to smooth it up, magazines too.
Nothing drastic, just smoothed the sharp edges.

Got a 3-Pack of Rem Model 5 mags from Brownell's for it.

Nice rifles.