The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old October 10, 2017, 23:22   #1
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
inexpensive 9mm barrels

Saw on arf that midway has 9mm barrels for $60...
Old October 11, 2017, 07:00   #2
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnogger View Post
Customary to post a link...even on arf.

Get with the program, man!

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...

=------} Just a battleship mouth and a rowboat ass...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017, 07:48   #3
fnogger
Registered

Midway pissed me off with a policy change last year, and they didn't honor my unsubscribe requests for the email spam, so I null route midway.com (can't get to it) and redirect any mail on my server sent to my midway email account to larry potterfield's published email address.

So while I would've loved to post a link, I can't even get to the midway.com site (by choice)
Old October 11, 2017, 08:01   #4
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Midway pissed me off with a policy change last year, and they didn't honor my unsubscribe requests for the email spam, so I null route midway.com (can't get to it) and redirect any mail on my server sent to my midway email account to larry potterfield's published email address.

So while I would've loved to post a link, I can't even get to the midway.com site (by choice)
As wifey would say...you sir, are a case and a half!

Don't you worry, I'm right there with you.

I will shill for Uncle Larry and Aunt Brenda.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/58...moly-phosphate

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...-moly-melonite

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...

=------} Just a battleship mouth and a rowboat ass...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017, 14:30   #5
dmk
Registered

FALaholic #: 8802
Quote:
Damn. That's like a free puppy.

I got a 10.5" 9mm barrel. Now I just need another PSA pistol lower, an upper, BCG, mag adapter, charging handle, sights, handguards and optic.
Old October 11, 2017, 21:52   #6
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Thanks,

Bought a 4.5 incher for my braced pistol build. For $49.98 shipped you couldn't beat it

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2017, 22:06   #7
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk View Post
Damn. That's like a free puppy.

I got a 10.5" 9mm barrel. Now I just need another PSA pistol lower, an upper, BCG, mag adapter, charging handle, sights, handguards and optic.
Skip the mag adapter and build a Glock mag. Complete lower for $200ish, $40 for generic upper, the cheap barrel you have, a Spinta blem bolt ($115 delivered - but check their combo deals too) and $40 for handguards and barrel nut off ebay.
Old October 12, 2017, 00:09   #8
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
I have no intention of building a 9mm AR but I had to follow the link then click on the Clearance then Sale tabs. Will the madness ever cease?
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 09:17   #9
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
I have no intention of building a 9mm AR but I had to follow the link then click on the Clearance then Sale tabs. Will the madness ever cease?
You can always re-cut the chamber to be 357 SIG or similar
Old October 12, 2017, 11:52   #10
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
You can always re-cut the chamber to be 357 SIG or similar
That would be a plan except as rounding out my SIG 1911 collection finally added a 357 SIG so if shooting a pistol cartridge will do so from a gun that fits in holster on my belt. Had one 9mm AR for short time, several buddies have had them, couple still do but majority let go of them soon as the novelty period ran out. Only real advantage I could see from another is built as pistol with brace then have a lot of options to move pistol suppressors over to AR's. But then my MAC10 becomes useless as without its can is a useless item though near useless as built except for ease of concealing.

The Sionics suppressors for M11's are really a pain to service due to using wipes for baffles and require constant maintenance though very quiet compared to convention can with new wipes. Afraid to use them with 9mm and a 380 AR is backing way up. I like my sub guns small and my rifles full power. Pistolen cartidges in pistols. Last night wife and I went outside and ran the SIG 2022 9mm with Osprey can and SIG 1911 45 with Hybrid can. The SIG goes with me in briefcase every day leave home. Drops down in bottom and even if open in a business meeting or doctors office to get something out nobody notices the SIG with can attached in bottom of case. Doubt an AR will be that easy to hide.

Have a fine collection of Hi Powers and SIG 9mm pistols. 17 rounds and suppressor with five or six mags racked up and feel same about the SIG as did my old 9mm AR. It's a 9mm and not a rifle if life gets complicated. While always carry a handgun or three, given a choice prefer a rifle and if world turns sideways unless it's a one or two shots and situations over, any handgun will be most likely used to fight my way out of harms way or to my rifle. Waiting on call from GA Power before proceding with next job. While working this site, if something goes down the pistols job is to get me to cover behind the truck where I will pull an AR in rifle cartridge out.

It's all personal preference and no right or wrong opinion. If a person likes a 9mm AR then go for it. Since my daily work carry is almost always a SIG in 40 Smith, since I am a major power factor guy, would build an AR in 40 that used SIG magazines. Then what is the big difference between my rifle and pistol? Can I snipe ground hogs at 300 yards? Go toe to toe with someone in the hood that has an AK or full size AR using an AR pistol and not be at disadvantage? If cost of ammo were a consideration then a 9mm AR would make sense to me but costs me so litte the shoot 5.56 or 6.8 will keep one or both of those in truck and let the SIG's or 1911's lob pistol bullets.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2017, 12:26   #11
dmk
Registered

Quote:
Skip the mag adapter and build a Glock mag. Complete lower for $200ish, $40 for generic upper, the cheap barrel you have, a Spinta blem bolt ($115 delivered - but check their combo deals too) and $40 for handguards and barrel nut off ebay.
I considered a Glock mag lower, but I have no intention of ever owning a Glock and I do already own a 9mm carbine that uses Colt mags, along with a bucket of mags for it. I can buy a complete PSA 223 pistol lower for $129 and a KAK magwell adapter for $100 and I don't need to buy any mags.

Thanks for the headsup on the Spinta bolt though.
Old October 12, 2017, 12:35   #12
dmk
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
It's all personal preference and no right or wrong opinion. If a person likes a 9mm AR then go for it.
I like my 9mm AR carbine because it lets me shoot my steel gongs at pistol distances. Where with my 223 ARs, I really shouldn't be shooting steel closer than 100yds.

That's all I ever use it for. Cheap practice on AR500 gongs.
Old October 14, 2017, 09:51   #13
HankC
Registered

FALaholic #: 20436
Is this an indication that 9mm AR price finally coming down? ARs are dirt cheap now, but not 9mm. I have been waiting on cheap 9mm ARs to replace my Hi Point! Not really anything to complaint bout the Hi Point but it is ugly! 9mm AR should be more accurate as well!
HankC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2017, 19:19   #14
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankC View Post
Is this an indication that 9mm AR price finally coming down? ARs are dirt cheap now, but not 9mm. I have been waiting on cheap 9mm ARs to replace my Hi Point! Not really anything to complaint bout the Hi Point but it is ugly! 9mm AR should be more accurate as well!
My build cost -

$189 for complete glock mag lower (free xfer from local ffl left over from another deal)
$99 NFA 16" barrel
$115 Spinta blem bolt
$50 Anderson no FA no dust cover upper
$40 free float tube, barrel nut, end cap
$15 A2 style birdcage flash hider
$37 Glock 33 round mag
$22 TruGlo riser

Added a Bushnell TRS-25 (took it off my FAL) to top it all off. All prices w/ shipping or local sales tax, grand total of $567. PSA regularly has complete uppers in various configs for $320ish, with a complete lower for $200 plus FFL.... all depends on what cosmetics you want