Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old April 25, 2018, 12:22   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
.308 Match "Palma" small rifle primed brass

Just got in 500 Starline .308 match " Palma" cases. They utilize small rifle primers for extended brass life and optimum accuracy. These will primarily be used for my precision bolt rifles.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018, 20:28   #2
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Use match, military or magnum primers with them? Once properly prep a case if get a few more cycles out of it them well worth paying more for it.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2018, 21:14   #3
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
I use Lapua cases in .308, but in the large rifle primer version.

I do not see any need to go to the Palma cases.
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2018, 22:14   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
If like 6.8, large primer cases start popping primers long before small primer cases. Less brass supporting case head so stretch more causing cases to be discarded when still look o.k. except for loose primers backing out. 45 acp still like large primer cases but it's a very low pressure round as uses mass to make horsepower. I can see small primer 308 brass lasting longer with high pressure handloads and likely made to match case tolerances rather than field grade ball.

Going to order 250 for one of my custom bolt guns that allows using loads in excess of chart date as has all clearances removed along with burly action and fat barrel. Builder said hotter load it better will shoot and to load till primers pop and back of chare a tad. Same smith that builds Weatherby mags with no freebore and says load till ogive is touching rifling and bust rounds. They drive tacks and don't know anyone that has hurt one and lot are using compressed charges.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2018, 10:12   #5
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

I use small primer brass for bolt rifles in .308 and 6.5 now that I have seen the light. Fed 205M and BR-4s work just fine.
Haven't got there yet, but some guys are getting 15 - 20 loads with no problems. Sounds good to me. Some lrg primed brass with heavy loads is done after a couple loadings.
Old May 01, 2018, 11:37   #6
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
Because of what my shop does, I need to become more knowledgeable in the small primer thing.

Isn't a smaller hole supposed to add to accuracy. It's understandable that a smaller hole will concentrate the the flame for a more consistent powder ignition
but have you seen actual results?

The Palma brass takes small primers but the hole is not smaller. This would seem to defeat the purpose of using a small primer for increasing accuracy.

Also
How can it extend brass life? It's been my experience that Laupa brass has excellent specs and has a much better life expectancy than any other brass

Not asking any of this to be a contrarian, quite the opposite

It's been my experience that;

1 Use a trued Remington action. for serious PRS matches
2 Fit a tight(relative) PT&G bolt
3 Carefully chambered barrel
4 Bedded action
5 Use a good trigger
6 Use good brass and bullets

It's been my experience that it doesn't matter;

1 Barrel profile as long at it's kinda heavy. Med Palma, heavy Palma, Rem Varmint, etc....
I don't get balled up with any of that and use a Remington Varmint contour.
2 Brass is brass. Laupa is excellent and last. That's why I choose it over everything else
Old May 01, 2018, 12:07   #7
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Small primered brass can be had with different size flash holes.

Brass life is extended because the sm primer pockets tend to stretch less than lr as a result of more brass in the base.