Old April 01, 2018, 19:16   #1
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
338 Lapua Magnum AR

https://sword-int.com/mk-18/

338 Lapua Magnum AR

saw this utube video where gunny & sawman were playing w/ one

looks good but my wallet says no way .......

Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2018, 21:03   #2
Robert@FULL30
Registered

FALaholic #: 81585
CR-7 with Sawman

R.I.P. Gunny

These giant AR's are getting to be a bit more common,

aside from the S.W.O.R.D. both Noreen and DRD have DI models,

But, what came from the SWORD design is an improved CR-7 .338LM from

C.R.O.M. Condition Red Ordnance Mfg.

CR-7 is piston operated and gets lighter weight with every rendition.
C.R.O.M. is working on a new buffer and stick assembly that would drop an entire pound from the beta platform. The magazine will also accept a cartridge with a slightly longer OAL, allowing loads using Berger OTM hybrid projectiles and gaining performance similar to a .338 AI vs a standard .338 LM.

CR-7 rifle was designed as a combat rifle first with precision as an afterthought. The design was to make the rifle as operable as possible without having to release your hands. All of the rifles features are integrated into the system and completely ambidextrous, including;
  • Safety selector
  • Bolt catch
  • Bolt release
  • Magazine release

Also integrated are removable/replaceable QD sling cups on both sides of the lower receiver. Other companies have QD mounts built into their receivers, but if they ever get damaged, they cannot be repaired. CR-7 will have replacements available and can be omitted completely of a shooter chooses.

The magazine is injection molded in house from a custom carbon composite. Itís harder and stronger than steel and weighs as much as aluminum. CROM has the ability to make it as long/short, as needed, currently there is a 6 round and 10 round magazine, they have plans this January to develop a rotary/drum magazine for a more ďGunnerĒ type platform.

I'm hoping to budget one of these in next year once they're released.

Robert@FULL30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 12:49   #3
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert@FULL30 View Post
CR-7 rifle was designed as a combat rifle first with precision as an afterthought.
Isn't the whole point of .338 Lapua precision? You sure aren't going to be carrying a whole lot of ammo for it.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2018, 18:58   #4
Robert@FULL30
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Isn't the whole point of .338 Lapua precision?
100% yes

That the round for it, the point was more that you can't so much start with precision and move towards a combat roll, so here C.R.O.M. has taken this phenomenal round, made the platform combat ready, easy with an AR base design, then worked towards precision.

So, you can paper punch NP, or get down to business, either way, its covered.

So, weight, durability, reliability, accuracy, and high energy, why not work in a little more capacity

From the designer:

Quote:
The fact is, currently a combat sniper has to carry TWO primary weapons; A precision rifle, accompanied by a SMG or lightweight M4. The current selections of semiautomatic rifles, that are capable of making a 1.5 mile shot, that are man-portable and usable as a CQ battle rifleÖ well, they didn't really exist until now.

I'm sold, now if I can convince VISA or MC to just extend me a bit more credit
Old November 14, 2018, 19:14   #5
CG&L
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 27951
It looks like a bad idea that started from a poor understanding of accuracy and what's needed for a working rifle. A lot of statements are just plain wrong or nutty. None of it makes any real sense

Nonetheless, I hope they do well selling their rifles.
Old November 15, 2018, 07:05   #6
Robert@FULL30
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&L View Post

Nonetheless, I hope they do well selling their rifles.
That is really, IMO, the best possible comment any patriot could make for any firearms manufacturer,

C.R.O.M. is targeting Military/Police purchasers, has a couple of these in testing abroad, some big agencies showing interest, I personally think this is a win.

I get bolt guys wont care about semi auto's anymore than Glock guys will care about single stack,

And I'm not a paid publicist I'm a fan of large caliber semi auto, I'd go 100% 82A1 if practical, I'm hoping the CR-7 is a step closer to that goal.

In the meantime a .45 Raptor in an AR10 might be supplementing this fever, fingers crossed.
Old November 15, 2018, 18:32   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
A jumbo AR can be built around accuracy as I learned after scoring my first 6XC upper built by owner of White Oak Armament to test a run of barrels he made for the U.S. Shooting Team from my understanding. Bought one overrun barrel then was offered a complete side charge converted upper with 26" 6XC barrel was told had fifty rounds down the pipe when they finished the project. Put it on a DPMS lower and built the other barrel on a DPMS slick side AR 10 receiver set. Both have been to the 1,000 yard range and put in the hands of real shooters who shoot at that range about as often as I shoot at 100 yards. The little 115 grain DTAC bullets arrive on target with amazing accuracy and rifles are 100% reliable. Only issue is 6XC doesn't have much energy left at a kilometer but was a fun project that was able to do because W.O.A. Decided not to pursue the AR 10 market and surplussed me the parts at super fair price.

Check this link to the GA Precision rifle putting first three rounds of 6mm Creedmore inside of 2" at 1,000 yards shooting prone off a bipod and the five shot rapidly shot group at end of video was about five inches.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...RicZEA17iCxlQj

My 6XC's can ring a standard size silhouette steel plate at 1,000 yards once settled in and have my dope worked out eight out of ten rounds or better if having a good day. In a friends hand he can put ten rounds in under ten inches with the White Oak Armament built 6XC AR 10 upper and under twelve inches with upper I built consistently. In a situation where I actually needed to make hits at a kilometer or more and hurt whatever am lobbing lead at will use my nicer custom built 7mm Practical, Sako TRG 42 in 338 Lapua Mag or finally scope up the 50 BMG been too cheap to buy an appropriate scope for. I like a turn bolt but can see the advantage of a repeater if engaging live hostile targets that might be moving about and returning fire. Being able to pour fire on target without releasing trigger to work a bolt and let rounds fly would be advantageous. Some day if finances allow and spine holds up would like to put a Barrett with their BOARS System on a Nightforce scope in the fleet and just let the zombies deal with a hail of incoming 700ish grain 50 BMG projectiles.

If buy a good tube in the 24" to 28" range with rifle plus four inch or longer gas system and meticulously mate to a good upper and get your time in on the range can screw together an AR 10 style rifle that will shoot at a kilometer and farther. Have been hearing some really good reports about the Noveske 21" 6.5 Creedmore tube shooting well at a kilometer and is reasonable to carry in the field. I know my 18" Noveske AR 15 barrels are some of the most accurate AR 15 barrels have fired that stay true even from cold bore to red hot.

Most important thing is time behind the rifle and sending rounds. Read an article recently where a guy purchased a precision rifle and discovered he could not hit crap with it but another shooter was consistently shooting sub 10" groups with it at 1,000. He was lucky to put a few rounds on a four foot by four foot piece of paper initially. He got motivated, took some instruction, spent a pile of cash on precision ammo and range time to find himself shooting twelve inch groups at a thousand in eight weeks of dedicated practice. The one thing is you need more than an armorers wrench and vice clamped on the kitchen table to build it. I really wish my rifle smith had not retired as have two turn bolt projects really want done and I don't have the tools or the skills for that type work.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2018, 19:07   #8
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Iím not opposed to it.

But you can get into an accurate .338 for vastly less money than you will spend on a reliable .338 AR.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/788591870

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2018, 07:38   #9
Robert@FULL30
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Check this link to the GA Precision rifle putting first three rounds of 6mm Creedmore inside of 2" at 1,000 yards shooting prone off a bipod and the five shot rapidly shot group at end of video was about five inches.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...RicZEA17iCxlQj

Uncertain why the strong desire to skip work just came about,
hmmm
and right after watching your video....strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Iím not opposed to it.

But you can get into an accurate .338 for vastly less money than you will spend on a reliable .338 AR.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/788591870

Eh, if its worth killing its worth over killing

Now why you temp the little available credit I have with a .338 AccuTrigger IDK, thats a very appealing listing.
Old November 16, 2018, 07:48   #10
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert@FULL30 View Post
That is really, IMO, the best possible comment any patriot could make for any firearms manufacturer,

C.R.O.M. is targeting Military/Police purchasers, has a couple of these in testing abroad, some big agencies showing interest, I personally think this is a win.

I get bolt guys wont care about semi auto's anymore than Glock guys will care about single stack,

And I'm not a paid publicist I'm a fan of large caliber semi auto, I'd go 100% 82A1 if practical, I'm hoping the CR-7 is a step closer to that goal.

In the meantime a .45 Raptor in an AR10 might be supplementing this fever, fingers crossed.
Having been employed by our government as a marksman/ observer ( p/c for sniper) as well as having worked in law enforcement I think I understand what is acceptable to those in charge. First it is going to bea no go for police department, sheriffs office, and state police. The reason being is liability, the 338 Lapua has the ability to over penetrate way to much after going through the intended target. Second, is that FBI studies have shown that the average distance that state and local police sniper shooting happen at is less than 100 yards (last I saw it was like 86 yards). Third is cost, the gun cost way to much, the ammo costs way too much, the suppressor costs way to much. One of my old Sargents was a sniper on the County SWAT team, he said he was lucky to get 1000 rounds a year to practice with from the county.

As for the Federal Government, they have money but it takes them forever to get anything new through purchasing and testing unless itís during war. When they took my M24 away from me they were talking about replacing it with an M110. Even when I went through my sniper training course several years before the school house only had 2 M110ís and they would only let you train with one if you had a letter from your CO saying you would be issued one upon the completion of the sniper course. I think it took Barrett the better part of 10 years before the government adopted the 82A1. As far as using it as a designated marksman weapon, I donít think so. The combat loadout for it would be less than 100 rounds and probably closer to 50 rounds. Compare that to the DM loadout with a M110 of 220 rounds of .308. As far as using a semi auto sniper rifle, I like it. Both the M110 and Barrett have proved that a semi auto can be as accurate as a bolt action.

I like the idea and wish them the best of luck but Iím not sure how many in the civilian market are going to buy one. They will have lots of tire kickers but the price will keep it out of a lot of hands. Semi automatic eat more ammo faster and when 338 lapua is costing $3-5 per round for new and about half to reload, one has to have deep pockets to shoot it much.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 18:28   #11
Robert@FULL30
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post

I like the idea and wish them the best of luck but Iím not sure how many in the civilian market are going to buy one. They will have lots of tire kickers but the price will keep it out of a lot of hands. Semi automatic eat more ammo faster and when 338 lapua is costing $3-5 per round for new and about half to reload, one has to have deep pockets to shoot it much.
Thanks grumpy1 for the first hand experience, always good to hear,

I did ask if I could share the Police/Military they are working to sell to,it had been shared with me but I didn't get a green light to share and don't always use acquiescence as a "go" (but often)

I agree the civilian market will be a challenge, even if the rifle were attained, good glass and ammo are still needed, its no poor mans rifle thats for sure.