Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old January 11, 2019, 08:45   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Non-reloadable brass

Running my test on this batch of non-reloadable berdan primed brass.
103 cases are on their 9th loading with no signs of stress or primer pocket enlargement.
Got in the habbit of tossing brass after 4 loadings with LC and other commercial brass. This darn German stuff is like a Timex, takes a licking and keeps on ticking.
Accuracy seems to be considerably better than most boxer I have used. Who woulda thunk it?

I use the RCBS decapper and Tula berdan primers which are hard to get now, but I have a decent stash.

RVN 67-68

Last edited by ArtBanks; January 11, 2019 at 09:02.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 12:02   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
I had a lot of problems with berdan, got too many duds. This was with both Wolf and PMC berdan primers. Even with hydraulically decapped brass.

But been thinking, I was using AA2520 powder, maybe primers did not have enough oomph to set it off. What powder are you using?
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 12:21   #3
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
I had a lot of problems with berdan, got too many duds. This was with both Wolf and PMC berdan primers. Even with hydraulically decapped brass.

But been thinking, I was using AA2520 powder, maybe primers did not have enough oomph to set it off. What powder are you using?
That is very interesting.
I have been loading around 5K per year for many years. Never had a misfire or any problems for that matter. Never used anything other than Tula primers.
4064, 4895, 4350 , RL-15, BL-C2 and mostly Varget. Narry a hitch.
RVN 67-68
Old January 11, 2019, 15:23   #4
ammolab
Registered

FALaholic #: 10923
My only issue with berdan is trying the 7.62x39 Primer in full size rifle rounds. Duds and hangfires.

Using proper Berdan primers for decades, RWS and Russian. My best ES and SD have all been with Berdan primed loads.
ammolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2019, 15:39   #5
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

I have been using the Tulammo KV-7.62 Large Rifle for years. Never a dud or hangfire.
Best darn accuracy loads I have had for .308 has been with the combination of DAG brass, Tula primers , Custom 136 gr fb bullets and Varget powder.

Seems to leave everything else in the dust.
RVN 67-68
Old January 11, 2019, 22:47   #6
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I've loaded some Hirtenberger 1975 brass with Tula primers and it runs about the same as boxer brass.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2019, 06:39   #7
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
9th loading means you are doing it very right.
That wont happen for me however if I keep screwing up. Just ran about 175 Privi 5.56 cases feeling real proud of it before I remembered to check the shoulders. Ooops, bumped too far!
Old January 12, 2019, 06:44   #8
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Thanks,
Never gone to 9 with semi loads before.
I do have tight match chambers on these particular rifles so the brass isn't getting worked terribly hard even using SB X dies.

RVN 67-68
Old January 12, 2019, 08:11   #9
davedude
Registered

Looks like art, Art!

I have been needing a bench top brass catcher and that one looks fabulous. Just put one on order. Thanks for posting that photo.
Old January 12, 2019, 09:19   #10
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

They sure save a lot of picking up.
I have another from the same company , same model that is on a tripod and I use it for pistol and offhand shooting.
RVN 67-68
Old January 13, 2019, 07:06   #11
davedude
Registered

At the indoor range, if it goes forward it is lost to me forever. Can't go in front of the bench as there are no cease fires, targets are motorized. At the outdoor range there is just not much time to recover brass kicked forward into the grass during cease fires. Really aggravating. To the side and behind is better but still some loss usually unless someone walks off leaving me some "extras".
I don't much like creeping around the bench on hands and knees recovering brass either.

I guess I'll fireform the Privi cases I screwed up. While the 5.56 situation has taken priority for the moment end-of-year sales helped stock up both Hornady and Nosler 168g HPBT's that I can get around restrictions with at either range. I have really old box of Hornady .308 130g spire points I made some interesting .30carbine Blackhawk revolver loads with back in the day that I'll try to work up a Varget .308 load similar to yours when I get time.
Way back then I did other crazy stuff too like .30carbine 110g bullets(real cheep) in 30-06 that shot like a lazer beam out of my two-groove 03-A3.
Old January 13, 2019, 19:29   #12
D. Lehrman
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10
....spread a small tarp in the area the brass is thrown, shoot till you're ready to call it quits, pick up the tarp with 98% ot 99% recovery and go home? I've been doing it that way a long time and it makes a chore much, much less so....
D. Lehrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019, 00:09   #13
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Build one using a couple of wire coat hangers and an old pillow case. Make a frame using the coat hangers to hold the mouth of the pillow case open. Use spring steel paper clips to hold the case on the frame. Using other hangers, fashion a base so the catcher can be fastened to the shooting bench or other structure using spring clamps. Mount it close to the gun so the ejected brass goes in near the center of the pillow case mouth.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2019, 05:27   #14
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Lehrman View Post
....spread a small tarp in the area the brass is thrown, shoot till you're ready to call it quits, pick up the tarp with 98% ot 99% recovery and go home? I've been doing it that way a long time and it makes a chore much, much less so....
That's fine if you are shooting at a range that allows you to move ahead of the shooting positions to retrieve brass. Most of my M14 type rifles toss brass from between 1 and 3 oclock so it ends up in a forbidden zone. With the catcher it's right there.
Tarp worked for years at my home range, by the way, but the catcher is much easier for an old dinosaur to use.
RVN 67-68
Old January 15, 2019, 19:50   #15
jenrick
Registered

FALaholic #: 31968
Where are you guys fiding berdan primers? I was going to try reloading 7.5 Swiss and .303, but for the life of me I couldn't rack down any berdan primers. Which was even more ironic, since I had gone through the trouble of hydraulically decapping all the save berdan brass I had from over the years.
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019, 19:57   #16
ammolab
Registered

FALaholic #: 10923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrick View Post
Where are you guys fiding berdan primers? I was going to try reloading 7.5 Swiss and .303, but for the life of me I couldn't rack down any berdan primers. Which was even more ironic, since I had gone through the trouble of hydraulically decapping all the save berdan brass I had from over the years.
If your .303 is British common .250” Berdan you may never find that Berdan primer.

The .217” Berdan used by the Swiss and MANY Berdan loaders comes and goes here in the USA. Maybe the Russian primer will show up again. You may find them on Gunbroker etc once in a while. Don’t buy the 7.62x39 spec primer for full size rifle rounds. They fit, but ignition is not reliable.
ammolab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2019, 20:08   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I love using Berman primed brass and unsure if using any called "non reloadable" or not. If had issue with failures to,fire would have given up on them years ago. Have found with well matched Berman it's more accurate than boxer when chasing tenths of MOA.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2019, 19:57   #18
jenrick
Registered

FALaholic #: 31968
Good to know, thank you all.
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote