The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old July 14, 2017, 15:31   #1
MadMike32
Registered

FALaholic #: 78922
Locking shoulder installation problem

Okay, I feel like I'm doing something one. I'm trying to drive the locking shoulder into my receiver and the bloody thing refuses to budge. I've even tried freezing it with aerosol propellant to try to get it to contract (a trick I stole from a redditor) and it still won't even start in the hole. What am I doing wrong?

Oh, the shoulder is one of Mark's, and the receiver is a Type 01 from DSA's most recent run. I'm wondering if maybe they had an issue with the hole being undersize...?

Or is this all just a case of "put your ass into it!"?
MadMike32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 15:55   #2
308/223shooter
Airborne Combat Engineer
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Measure the od of the locking shoulder, and the id of the hole in the receiver. Also look to see if the ejector block is sitting too high, and not aligned with the holes in the receiver.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 15:57   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
Measure the od of the locking shoulder, and the id of the hole in the receiver. Also look to see if the ejector block is sitting too high, and not aligned with the holes in the receiver.
This and clean the park out of the hole. You can use emory paper to smooth up the shoulder too. Have you ever inserted one before? It is a press fit so don't expect to tap it home

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 16:01   #4
MadMike32
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308/223shooter View Post
Using my shitty calipers, the locking shoulder is 0.299, receiver is 0.286, and it's not even reaching far enough for the ejector block to be a problem. I literally can't get it started in the hole.
Old July 14, 2017, 16:03   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Huh? That's a lot. IIRC you should be around .297

Old July 14, 2017, 16:07   #6
MadMike32
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Huh? That's a lot. IIRC you should be around .297
I double-checked the hole. 0.286 up-down, 0.292 left-right. I feel like someone at DSA forgot to ream this or something.

Quote:
This and clean the park out of the hole. You can use emory paper to smooth up the shoulder too. Have you ever inserted one before? It is a press fit so don't expect to tap it home
I'll try cleaning the park out. This is my first build, but I was well aware that this is an interference fit.
Old July 14, 2017, 16:13   #7
OLDMANPBK
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
The hole in the receiver should be .295. The solution would be to send it back to DSA, but I don't know if that works anymore. DIY options are available.

COBC #4
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017, 16:16   #8
MadMike32
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
The hole in the receiver should be .295. The solution would be to send it back to DSA, but I don't know if that works anymore. DIY options are available.
FFL transfers are a pain in the ass because I'm 20, so DIY is preferable anyway.

Would it be wise to just find a friend with a .295 reamer and bore it to size?
Old July 14, 2017, 16:20   #9
OLDMANPBK
Registered
Bronze Contributor

No transfer would be required. You can mail it directly to them. If your hole is that small that might be your best option.

COBC #4
Old July 14, 2017, 16:27   #10
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike32 View Post

Would it be wise to just find a friend with a .295 reamer and bore it to size?
All depends on your fortitude and confidence to do it right. I've touched them up a little with a Dremmel. But that's a lot of meat. How is the other side on the charging handle side?

Old July 14, 2017, 16:36   #11
MadMike32
Registered

Quote:
All depends on your fortitude and confidence to do it right. I've touched them up a little with a Dremmel. But that's a lot of meat. How is the other side on the charging handle side?
CH side reads the same. At least it's a consistent fuckup.

I'm reluctant to ship it out because, unless I'm missing something, I still have to do an FFL transfer back to myself. Which means getting one of my parents involved and paying another transfer fee.

Actually, it occurs to me that if I ream it out, would that not change the headspacing? If I were to retake the measurement with pin gauges, I'd need a larger gauge to make up for the lost material.
Old July 14, 2017, 16:39   #12
OLDMANPBK
Registered
Bronze Contributor

They can send it right back to you. No transfer required.

COBC #4
Old July 14, 2017, 16:41   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Doesn't significantly change the HS measurement if you cut it concentric. And yes they can send it back to you without and FFL unless there is something different with the state law in MI

Old July 14, 2017, 17:19   #14
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
I was well aware that this is an interference fit.
An interference fit in this application is size-for-size or may a mil of interference fit, nothing like the numbers you mention. You said you used "shitty calipers" so you should confirm that a bit better on your part, but if truly the numbers are like you think, don't start grinding, just send it back.

As others mentioned, you as the original buyer can mail it back and forth to the factory with no FFL transfer and no drama. It will come shipped back to you at home with "adult signature required" and nothing else for paperwork.
Old July 15, 2017, 09:47   #15
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Using my shitty calipers, the locking shoulder is 0.299, receiver is 0.286, and it's not even reaching far enough for the ejector block to be a problem. I literally can't get it started in the hole.
If your measurements are correct on the LS it would be two sizes oversize. You LS should be a .2978" for a new receiver. Oversized LS are .2982", .2990" and .2998".
All of these are quite possibly within the error range of "shitty calipers" and non-professional machinist types like myself.

Just saying that you should check to see if you are using an oversized LS to begin with. I would return the Receiver to DSA also. Seems to me Gunplumber mentioned a ring or ridge in the LS hole on DSA's.
Old July 16, 2017, 02:39   #16
MadMike32
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
If your measurements are correct on the LS it would be two sizes oversize. You LS should be a .2978" for a new receiver. Oversized LS are .2982", .2990" and .2998".
All of these are quite possibly within the error range of "shitty calipers" and non-professional machinist types like myself.

Just saying that you should check to see if you are using an oversized LS to begin with. I would return the Receiver to DSA also. Seems to me Gunplumber mentioned a ring or ridge in the LS hole on DSA's.
I bought the LS straight from Mark, so I assume whatever he sent me is standard size. Again, it's within the margin of error of the tools I have access to, so I can't really tell.

I have an email sent out to DSA that I'm waiting for a response on. I can't wait to see what sorts of hoops they're gonna have me jump through. It already took over a month of delays just to get the receiver....
Old July 16, 2017, 08:41   #17
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Should be standard. If it was oversize there would be a number 1-3 stamped after the number. Like 6.1, 6.2 etc.

Not all are numbered the same way - UK uses a Y and Aus a crown. But I don't think I've ever seen an OS LS not marked in some way.

Anyway, yeah, under-size locking shoulder hole is just one more of the annoying issues on their out-of spec-receivers. Fortunately not a huge one. I think you'll find it is only the mouth of the hole that is under-size. Like it was machined flat leaving a burr around hole. I use a tiny flap sander and do just the mouth. of the hole. Someone else commented on this in the L1A1 receiver thread.
Old July 17, 2017, 13:16   #18
MadMike32
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Should be standard. If it was oversize there would be a number 1-3 stamped after the number. Like 6.1, 6.2 etc.

Not all are numbered the same way - UK uses a Y and Aus a crown. But I don't think I've ever seen an OS LS not marked in some way.

Anyway, yeah, under-size locking shoulder hole is just one more of the annoying issues on their out-of spec-receivers. Fortunately not a huge one. I think you'll find it is only the mouth of the hole that is under-size. Like it was machined flat leaving a burr around hole. I use a tiny flap sander and do just the mouth. of the hole. Someone else commented on this in the L1A1 receiver thread.
LS is fine. I just tried cleaning out any burrs like you said. I used a little flap sander on my dremel and even chamfered the edge a bit to see if that would help. No luck - now the LS just clears the mouth, but it looks like the entire length of the hole is undersize. Still haven't heard from DSA, either.
Old July 18, 2017, 23:25   #19
MadMike32
Registered

Well, DSA got back to me. They offered to fix the issue, headspace the action, and provide a new locking shoulder free of charge. I would've preferred to have it right the first time, but at least their customer service rep is good.
Old July 18, 2017, 23:51   #20
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Quote:
I feel like someone at DSA forgot to ream this or something.
They save the "Reaming", for their customers..as you're learning now...Be sure to tell them "Thank you".....
Old July 20, 2017, 23:48   #21
MadMike32
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
They save the "Reaming", for their customers..as you're learning now...Be sure to tell them "Thank you".....
Could be worse, I suppose. I know a guy who got an M&P Shield that managed to make it out of the factory without the barrel ever being rifled. Which has the added bonus of making said Shield an AOW....