The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old December 07, 2012, 17:15   #1
rob1
Registered

FALaholic #: 529
Park tank score..now heating element questions

I recently scored a couple ss park tanks, have always used a homemade one that I pieced together from steam table pans. Anyway, both these have electric heating elements, which should greatly simplify things if I can get them to work...if not, I'll just pull the elements off and use the tanks over the old camp stove like I've always done.
The first one is an elec steam table pan, has a dimmer type (rheostat?) knob on a small oven type heating element. Bearing in mind that I know just enough to be dangerous, how do I wire it up? There are two wiring "spades" on the thermostat, and then a place to wire the other end of the element. Here is a link to a pic
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...751A46CB-2.jpg
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...80F9FB4D-1.jpg
Now the other one is a real park tank, has wiegand strip heaters mounted on it. Has a junction box http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...1E89C4EF7B.jpg but nothing in the way of a thermostat. I'm guessing it would need some kind of thermostat, otherwise it's going to be a power off, then power on constantly in order to keep it from getting way too hot way too fast. Any thought or ideas on that one? I'm trying to do this verrrry cheaply, considering I have $50 in them, between the two. Also only option is 120v.
Old December 07, 2012, 20:17   #2
RPBII
Registered

FALaholic #: 19720
You need to find out what is the voltage ratings for the elements. They can be 120v, 230v, or 240v.
RPBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2012, 21:09   #3
rob1
Registered

On the one with the strip heaters, they are marked as 120v.
Old December 08, 2012, 18:42   #4
RPBII
Registered

FALaholic #: 19720
In this link on page 10, there is a diagram on the left that shows a very simple diagram for a 120v single element electric heating element. One of the terminals on the element goes to the power out side of the t-stat the other side is for the neutral. I'd use something along these lines with only 2 wiring connections.

http://www.cpsohio.com/app/load/manual1.aspx?id=DEL028

If the elements pull more amps than a single t-stat can handle, you may have to have a t-stat for each one. You can find t-stat with an emersion type sensing bulb at almost any kitchen parts supplier and probably E-bay.

Look for Bain Marie or steamtable parts for what you need.
RPBII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012, 23:24   #5
rob1
Registered

Thanks. I gave both tanks a quick try and both work. I only had a few minutes, so I have to give them the full check with a thermometer hen I gt the time. No idea if they will heat to the temps I need or how long it will take to get there, but I'm excited about the prospect of being able to use electricity over the camp stove. The last time I used the camp stove, apparently an o-ring or something is going in my 30 year old stove, and I had an exciting moment of flame shooting out around the propane tank. I would rather not do that again!