Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Politics

Notices

Old November 08, 2018, 14:16   #1
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Yippee...we get to smoke pot....

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf...galizatio.html

I wasn't for it,but it probably won't change who is smoking that crap one way or another. I would be for utilizing it as a fiber crop,to replace wood. Its getting hard to find people who don't smoke it. Problem I have is they can't be hired to drive or operate anything,commercially. The crap doesn't make you smarter. We already have a "medical" mary jane law here,that was incredibly ill thought out. Literally,anybody can apply for and get "the card". I would figure about 99% of those with the card have no medical issue that mary jane would help.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 14:21   #2
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76858
I used to think that way. I believe pot is no worse than alcohol so it should be treated exactly the same. They both impare you and while your under the influence you should not carry a firearm, operate machinery or be at work. What we need is equal testing so people who choose to self medicate with pot instead of booze can have good paying jobs
Old November 08, 2018, 14:49   #3
clodhopper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65715
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedMckay View Post
people who choose to self medicate with pot instead of booze can have good paying jobs
Why? Adults get to make bad decisions and live with the consequences. The more dopers living in their mom's basements is fewer people competing with me for a job, which means better pay for me because I choose not to partake.

Alcoholics and narcotic users cant do high risk work either. Why should dopers get special consideration?
clodhopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 15:13   #4
HelpiFALanCantGetUp
Registered

FALaholic #: 66011
i used to work for a few pot heads. they can be miserable fucks when their high wears off.
HelpiFALanCantGetUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 15:20   #5
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
Why? Adults get to make bad decisions and live with the consequences. The more dopers living in their mom's basements is fewer people competing with me for a job, which means better pay for me because I choose not to partake.

Alcoholics and narcotic users cant do high risk work either. Why should dopers get special consideration?

I work industrial construction plenty of alcoholics make well over 120k a year.
Old November 08, 2018, 15:20   #6
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpiFALanCantGetUp View Post
i used to work for a few pot heads. they can be miserable fucks when their high wears off.
Worse than a miserable fûçk with a hangover ?
Old November 08, 2018, 16:06   #7
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
I worked with plenty of boozers and weed whackers without too many problems

The powder and needle crew is a way different experience
Old November 08, 2018, 16:18   #8
clodhopper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65715
Quote:
I work industrial construction plenty of alcoholics make well over 120k a year.
Right! so why would you want to add more special cases to that mess?
clodhopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 16:19   #9
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Oregon has had relaxed pot laws for a while now. Medical cards have had way fewer people getting them, there is no need when you can grow your own. Lots of guys growing their own, guy across the street grows a bunch and sells it to a kali medical pot distribution outfit and it's legal.

Myself I think the pain relievers that don't make you goofy work really well, they sell it to me as taffy or chocolate for my arthritis. Change in weather and the pain feels like God's anger. Two chocolates and it's manageable. I have gone through $40 worth this year but winter is comming.
Old November 08, 2018, 18:19   #10
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Oregon has had relaxed pot laws for a while now. Medical cards have had way fewer people getting them, there is no need when you can grow your own. Lots of guys growing their own, guy across the street grows a bunch and sells it to a kali medical pot distribution outfit and it's legal.

Myself I think the pain relievers that don't make you goofy work really well, they sell it to me as taffy or chocolate for my arthritis. Change in weather and the pain feels like God's anger. Two chocolates and it's manageable. I have gone through $40 worth this year but winter is comming.
I agree with you Jim, my problem is I won’t lie on the form when I purchase a firearm. It says refuardless if your state allows marijuana or not you cannot use marijuana and have guns. So I would love to be able to use marijuana but my love for firearms is greater.
Old November 08, 2018, 18:31   #11
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clodhopper View Post
Right! so why would you want to add more special cases to that mess?
Because it is only fair in my opinion
Old November 08, 2018, 18:31   #12
mack1611
Registered

FALaholic #: 76084
Quote:

I take 3 10mg Norcos a day to function (last 6 years), some days it's 2X. I would like the option to use something else to lessen that dependence.
mack1611 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 18:49   #13
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1611 View Post
I take 3 10mg Norcos a day to function (last 6 years), some days it's 2X. I would like the option to use something else to lessen that dependence.
I have seen so many people in my community embrace marijuana and cbd. I know lots of people who have been in chronic pain and have put down the pills and are some much happier. The cbd seems great for anxiety and to help get some people off the Xanax and anti depression pills. Marijuana never should have been classed with cocaine and heroin. We need to change the law at the federal level because right now if you are a working man and want a decent career and you live in a state with recreational pot you cannot partake because all companies say you must have a valid perscription to use pot even if it is legal and doctors cannot prescribe only recommend. I asked Human Resources why we don’t need a prescription to use alcohol.
Old November 08, 2018, 18:56   #14
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
I asked Human Resources why we don’t need a prescription to use alcohol.
Pretty good question Ted.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 19:07   #15
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
The problem with most vices is there is a line. I can remember back when drug testing started and people wouldn’t smoke weed but would rather do speed or such because the metabolites in their pee pee was gone. Plus the wild seXX

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 19:24   #16
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
I avoid it.
Old November 08, 2018, 19:31   #17
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
I avoid it.
Agree. It doesn’t help playing video poker at the truck stops

Old November 08, 2018, 19:39   #18
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Agree. It doesn’t help playing video poker at the truck stops
I heard it was good for arthritis pain...

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

Old November 08, 2018, 19:53   #19
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I heard it was good for arthritis pain...
Hell you just don’t realize you had three of a kind or 2 pair if you aint on your game. I’m just glad to get a free beer and tip the gurl

Old November 08, 2018, 20:08   #20
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Hell you just don’t realize you had three of a kind or 2 pair if you aint on your game. I’m just glad to get a free beer and tip the gurl
Yeah, I see your point!

Old November 08, 2018, 20:24   #21
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, I see your point!
Mabye I’m just different, I don’t win money gambling unless I’m sober....
Old November 08, 2018, 20:38   #22
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:

I believe pot is no worse than alcohol so it should be treated exactly the same.

Bullshit.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 20:44   #23
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
We lost the so-called war on drugs, legalize all of it, morphine and LSD on aisle 3 in Walmart, MJ, uppers and downers over by dry goods at Piggly Wiggly.

Companies test for drugs and alcohol, either used, no work and no pay check with no welfare sounds fare.

People can make their own determinations on what to stick into their own bodies.
If women have a right to an abortion, why not have all people with a right to use drugs?

Just zero tax money on paying for the fall out of drug use.
Break the law, rob, steal, whatever, do simple hard time.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 20:48   #24
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
Bullshit.
Well I would love to hear you make your point. I would even argue that alcohol is more Damaging to society and worse for humans.
Old November 08, 2018, 20:55   #25
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Well I would love to hear you make your point. I would even argue that alcohol is more Damaging to society and worse for humans.
I'd say there is little doubt about that. Yeah, how is pot worse? Let's hear the facts, statistics, science, etc. Give it your best spot anyway.

Old November 08, 2018, 21:08   #26
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I'd say there is little doubt about that. Yeah, how is pot worse? Let's hear the facts, statistics, science, etc. Give it your best spot anyway.
Its tha devils own work I tell ya, demon weed and all, make smoking dope all legal and such, next thang ya know, wimmen will next be wearing short dresses, puttin ruby red paint on their faces, driving cars, demanding the right to vote, and smoking cigars and such out in full public view!!!

Old November 08, 2018, 21:12   #27
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Idle hands lead to the devils lettuce
Old November 08, 2018, 21:17   #28
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Bullshit.
Having dealt with plenty of both kinds ( alcohol and pot ) I can say with assurance that alcohol is by far the worse of the two. As a cop friend of mine used to say, " I have to deal with alcoholics who get in bar fights and drive 75 in a 35 zone. The pot heads I wake up in the mall parking lot at 3 a.m. to send home".

Don't get me wrong, overdoing either is no good at all, though.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 21:42   #29
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Having dealt with plenty of both kinds ( alcohol and pot ) I can say with assurance that alcohol is by far the worse of the two. As a cop friend of mine used to say, " I have to deal with alcoholics who get in bar fights and drive 75 in a 35 zone. The pot heads I wake up in the mall parking lot at 3 a.m. to send home".

Don't get me wrong, overdoing either is no good at all, though.
I thought it was everything in moderation

Old November 08, 2018, 21:49   #30
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:

You and I have already had this discussion. My memory works fine, yours not so much. Wonder why?

As I remember it you told us of your child being messed up on drugs. Was sorry to hear it. But don't tell the rest of us how to raise our kids.
Old November 08, 2018, 21:55   #31
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
You and I have already had this discussion. My memory works fine, yours not so much. Wonder why?

As I remember it you told us of your child being messed up on drugs. Was sorry to hear it. But don't tell the rest of us how to raise our kids.
Wrong person dumbass lol my son is a star athlete put down the booze

Damn that was easy. I dare you to prove me wrong
Old November 08, 2018, 21:56   #32
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

My apologies. There's so many drug tolerant people on here I get you all confused.

Let me guess....your son doesn't use drugs. Hope it stays that way.
Old November 08, 2018, 22:00   #33
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
My apologies. There's so many drug tolerant people on here I get you all confused.

Let me guess....your son doesn't use drugs. Hope it stays that way.
My apologies for the sharp remark. Yes I take my kids serious and my son has never tried drugs or alcohol he learned from my mistakes as a young man. I drank socially like most men until he was 6 and put it down because it’s poison and I’m a healthier person withought it. I don’t smoke pot either I would like too but the government says no
Old November 08, 2018, 22:50   #34
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack1611 View Post
I was taking so much IB that it was burning my stomach and not killing the pain so I just dealt with the pain. Friend gave me a legal piece of taffy from the pot store that is called cbd and the pain greatly subsided and I wasn't goofy. No twisting of the mind at all but the back sure didn't hurt bad. I am not addicted to it and I don't have any in the house but if the pain hits I buy $20 worth and eat it.

Pot that is broken down to medicine I have no problem with, it works for me.
Old November 08, 2018, 23:04   #35
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
My apologies for the sharp remark. Yes I take my kids serious and my son has never tried drugs or alcohol he learned from my mistakes as a young man. I drank socially like most men until he was 6 and put it down because it’s poison and I’m a healthier person withought it. I don’t smoke pot either I would like too but the government says no

Stay on top of him and watch him like a hawk. I used to teach at a local trade school, and most of the students were from out of state. No one looking over them. So I, being the way I am, took it upon myself to try to act as a father of sorts. I had more than a few parents contact me thanking me later. One time a student got way too drunk and one of his room mates told me about it the next day. Turns out a restaurant/bar had served this kid 11 tequila shots. He got in a car, drove home somehow, and got into a fight with his other room mates. He looked at them and said "One, Two, Three, Four". They asked what the Hell he was doing. He said "Just counting how many bullets I'll need to kill you all". I wrote everything down that happened and drove up to the restaurant. I asked the manager to come sit with me and told him what happened the night before, and if it happened again I was going to see his boss (It was a big chain restaurant). The kid tried to go back in that place about a week later and they told him he couldn't come in. Mission accomplished.
Old November 08, 2018, 23:28   #36
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Stay on top of him and watch him like a hawk. I used to teach at a local trade school, and most of the students were from out of state. No one looking over them. So I, being the way I am, took it upon myself to try to act as a father of sorts. I had more than a few parents contact me thanking me later. One time a student got way too drunk and one of his room mates told me about it the next day. Turns out a restaurant/bar had served this kid 11 tequila shots. He got in a car, drove home somehow, and got into a fight with his other room mates. He looked at them and said "One, Two, Three, Four". They asked what the Hell he was doing. He said "Just counting how many bullets I'll need to kill you all". I wrote everything down that happened and drove up to the restaurant. I asked the manager to come sit with me and told him what happened the night before, and if it happened again I was going to see his boss (It was a big chain restaurant). The kid tried to go back in that place about a week later and they told him he couldn't come in. Mission accomplished.
Good job! Sounds like we both have strong feelings about protecting the ones we care for. I just want people to really think about marijuana and why the federal government says we can’t use it. I can respect your position that drugs are all bad I would never condone recreational use of pills and heroin and meth and cocaine, synthetic designer drugs . As long as alcohol is being sold and pills are being prescribed I feel we all have the right to be prescribed marijuana or buy it for recreational use. Don’t even get me started on tobacco.
Old November 08, 2018, 23:30   #37
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
I was taking so much IB that it was burning my stomach and not killing the pain so I just dealt with the pain. Friend gave me a legal piece of taffy from the pot store that is called cbd and the pain greatly subsided and I wasn't goofy. No twisting of the mind at all but the back sure didn't hurt bad. I am not addicted to it and I don't have any in the house but if the pain hits I buy $20 worth and eat it.

Pot that is broken down to medicine I have no problem with, it works for me.
And I don't have a problem with folks taking it who actually are sick,in pain,and prescription drugs don't cut it. Its the using it just for the high.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 08, 2018, 23:31   #38
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Magic Brownies in Washington state, now ain't that something!

Old November 08, 2018, 23:49   #39
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
And I don't have a problem with folks taking it who actually are sick,in pain,and prescription drugs don't cut it. Its the using it just for the high.
Alchohol used to be medicinal and now it used to get high. What is so bad about using marijuana at night to wind down? How is that different than knocking back a few drinks? Well you won’t dehydrate yourself and wake up with the shîts, you won’t have Higher blood pressure or be tired in the morning. I wonder how many people show up to work each Monday legally drunk still from Sunday night?
Old November 09, 2018, 00:05   #40
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Magic Brownies in Washington state, now ain't that something!
I like brownies but I prefer mine pot free. Another positive to legalized pot is less traffic over the southern border.
Old November 09, 2018, 00:15   #41
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Alchohol used to be medicinal and now it used to get high. What is so bad about using marijuana at night to wind down?
If it stopped at a few puffs at night it wouldn't be a problem. But most people I know can't stop there. Many people escalate to the stronger drugs. I've known a lot of drunks, but never saw one that fried his brain. Seen too many do irreversible brain damage from a few years of drugs.

The latest tragedy happened to a grad from the school I taught at. Very smart kid. Great head porter. Went into partners with another grad and they financed a CNC machine. They were making bank. Then he got on drugs, and ended up missing so much work they couldn't afford the machine payment and it went back. He has two daughters with his girlfriend. She left with the kids, and he has a hard time getting visitation because she doesn't want her young daughters left unsupervised with a drug addict. And who can blame her.
Old November 09, 2018, 00:21   #42
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
If it stopped at a few puffs at night it wouldn't be a problem. But most people I know can't stop there. Many people escalate to the stronger drugs. I've known a lot of drunks, but never saw one that fried his brain. Seen too many do irreversible brain damage from a few years of drugs.

The latest tragedy happened to a grad from the school I taught at. Very smart kid. Great head porter. Went into partners with another grad and they financed a CNC machine. They were making bank. Then he got on drugs, and ended up missing so much work they couldn't afford the machine payment and it went back. He has two daughters with his girlfriend. She left with the kids, and he has a hard time getting visitation because she doesn't want her young daughters left unsupervised with a drug addict. And who can blame her.
Alchohol is a drug, a highly addictive one, a true gateway drug. You don’t go from pot to heroin. Alchohol wouldn’t be a problem if people stopped as soon as they felt impaired. If you keep drinking you can do terrible things that you would not do sober. Now take a puff or two off a joint and decide to finish it , then light another smoke that down what happens? You go to sleep or watch tv. The biggest problem with pot is if you use to much you end doing nothing
Old November 09, 2018, 00:24   #43
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:

The biggest problem with pot is if you use to much you end doing nothing
Exactly. In the example I gave above, I doubt anyone will ever invest in that guy again. His business rep is gone. And I agree that alcohol is bad too.

ETA: I've seen quite a few people move from pot to heroin. You can't say that doesn't happen. I've witnessed it. Also, most of the people I know that smoke pot also pop pills. The two go hand in hand. Pills aren't mentioned much, but they're abused more than anything.
Old November 09, 2018, 00:37   #44
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Exactly. In the example I gave above, I doubt anyone will ever invest in that guy again. His business rep is gone. And I agree that alcohol is bad too.

ETA: I've seen quite a few people move from pot to heroin. You can't say that doesn't happen. I've witnessed it. Also, most of the people I know that smoke pot also pop pills. The two go hand in hand. Pills aren't mentioned much, but they're abused more than anything.
I’m not a drug expert or substance abuse counseler I do believe their is a lot of misinformation out there about cannabis. I also think that men over the age of 60 and raised conservatives and lived conservative lives will never embrace it. Now younger people like myself that grew up in the 80’s and 90’s will accept cananbis as a healthier alternative to big pharmaceutical companies and alchohol.
Old November 09, 2018, 01:40   #45
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
We're all grown ups here. You wanna get high, get high. If you don't...don't.
I don't give a shit. In fact, no one should give a shit what you do in your free time so long as you don't hurt anybody. Its called liberty. Deal with it.

The real problem with legal weed is that you'll end up paying more for less. The Government only gives a shit about getting it's share and controlling your share. I don't smoke weed, but if I did, I'd grow my own and I'd shut the f#ck up about it.
Old November 09, 2018, 01:43   #46
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I like brownies but I prefer mine pot free. Another positive to legalized pot is less traffic over the southern border.

Oh I fully agree, not like I've not been run off the road by BP and AHP chasing drug runners with a load!

I'd legalize everything!
Tomorrow.
As a nation, we'd save a small fortune on the so called war on drugs, which we lost decades ago.
People are going to use drugs, nothing will ever stop it, they will find a way, so sell them clean drugs in proper dosages, not poisoned, etc.
Making drugs illegal causes crime, fills prisons, is all just big business.

I don't drink, no alcohol since 72, stopped, was not doing anything positive for me.
No drug use, in common terms.

People are going to do what people are going to do.
Folks been trying to outlaw hookers since before the bible, that ain't worked either.

Old November 09, 2018, 08:54   #47
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Folks been trying to outlaw hookers since before the bible, that ain't worked either.
Well now, some urges are just harder to control than others!

Old November 09, 2018, 09:08   #48
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Here in MA we have many stoned drivers. I know neighbors and other folks that drive very regularly stoned since the state passed the recreational law. But here is what people actually experience while high

Old November 09, 2018, 09:24   #49
Ted Kennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77365
If you haven't met someone who has fried their bran with alcohol, you've just not been around enough long-time drunks.

Weed is probably less harmful - but - the effects of weed, slowed reaction time, etc...last much longer than the effects of alcohol. In my business, even using legal weed keeps you unemployed. (aircraft building)

The principle is what I condone, endorse, celebrate. That principle is, a free man hadn't ought to ask permission to ingest anything.

I know good, productive citizens that have smoked pot for 30+ years. I know folks that drink - same story.

I also know folks that have ruined, even ended their lives because of drugs and alcohol.

Just like FALs, the use and outcome is determined by the owner. Outlawing FALs because some loser uses one in a crime is wrong. Outlawing chemicals and plants because some folks abuse them is wrong.
Ted Kennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 09, 2018, 09:40   #50
medicmike
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 3183
Quote:
We lost the so-called war on drugs, legalize all of it, morphine and LSD on aisle 3 in Walmart, MJ, uppers and downers over by dry goods at Piggly Wiggly.

Companies test for drugs and alcohol, either used, no work and no pay check with no welfare sounds fare.

People can make their own determinations on what to stick into their own bodies.
If women have a right to an abortion, why not have all people with a right to use drugs?

Just zero tax money on paying for the fall out of drug use.
Break the law, rob, steal, whatever, do simple hard time.
It would be a self-correcting problem. Just sit back and let Darwin sort it out.

“The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad,
For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad.”
― G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse
medicmike is online now   Reply With Quote