Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old September 23, 2018, 09:33   #1
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Old Weaver optics

Does anyone have any advice, thoughts, knowledge on old Weaver steel tube optics?
I have an old Remington .22 that I'm considering scoping but I'd like something that fits the vintage look of the rifle (511X Scoremaster), not a modern fat lens tactical, huge knob beast.
The rifle rarely sees the outdoors but it is my go-to pest rifle beyond airgun range. It's very accurate but my eyes don't see the sights like they did 30 years ago so like many of my shooters, optics are in order.
I'd like something nitrogen purged but have no idea if they did that back in the day of steel tube late 60's, early 70's fine cross hair scopes or not, or what models would have been.
I see many Weaver models on the Bay that fit the look I want but that's about all I know. A low power variable isn't required but desired and whatever I get I would like to be a 1" tube. None of that 3/4 or 7/8 tube stuff, that's TOO old for my project.

I came along well after the Weaver glory days and I know squat about those older optics so any advice or sooth is welcomed.
Old September 23, 2018, 10:00   #2
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Troy, the old Weaver K4s were pretty well-regarded years back. I believe they were the ones still made in El Paso. I have a more recent model that may have a problem with zeroing correctly. I still need to remount it and confirm if it's a problem.

I have an old Lyman All-American on a Savage 99 .243. It's an old classic too I guess.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...weaver-scopes/

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2018, 11:19   #3
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Gun shows are just full of old scopes. Find one that doesn't look abused and it might still work well. I recently picked up an older weaver for $30 that I put on a 10 22, K6 with a wide view and duplex crosshairs. Guys want newer more modern scopes for their guns and get rid of the old ones for next to nothing.
Old September 23, 2018, 17:32   #4
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
In the "olden days", Weaver did not make a 1" .22 rifle scope. They did make a very nice 7/8" scope called the V22 3~6x, one of which occupies a place on my Winchester M 75, and will remain there for the duration, whenever that is.
There was also the D4 and D6 with a 7/8th" tube in fixed 4x and 6x version..

Most 1" riflescopes were/are parallax adjusted for 100 yards. Most .22 rf need a scope with parallax adjusted to 50 or 75yards.
There are modern scopes like Sightron and Vortex with side focus down to 10 yards, but they may be the "big knob, tacticals" that you mention. I have them on a Ruger 10 22 LVT and a Charles Daly.
Old September 23, 2018, 21:35   #5
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
Nitrogen purged back to the late 50s I think. I have sevearl El Paso's ,preferred over many new ones I have, pick them up when I can.
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2018, 18:52   #6
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

I've been looking at a 2-7x V7. Some .22 tip-offs and I'd be in business.
I hadn't thought about the parallax difference but I doubt it'd be much of a problem. I've used non-.22 scopes on rimfire before with no regard for parallax with good results. If a scope is parallax free at 100 yards then how much error can there be at 50? .2 MOA? Not enough to miss a ground hog.

Thanks for the input guys. Helps a lot.
Old September 25, 2018, 01:07   #7
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
been running 1" tubes on .22 rifles since I was a youngster

folks make such a crazy deal regarding parallax...it's really no big thing.
most of my shooting was always 50 yards plus, never really noticed it
wasn't punching paper, it was just minute of Rabbit

Old Weavers are fine optics, Bausch & Lomb were a bit better
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2018, 10:38   #8
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
I've used several Weaver Ks on .22s over the years with no problems whatsoever.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2018, 06:05   #9
d762nato
Registered

FALaholic #: 73390
I've still got an old weaver k3 I believe on a 1951 vintage model 70 Winchester o6 and it works great. I've taken a few deer with it over the years. I like them all blued and made of steel to match the rifle, and they don't cost a lot.
d762nato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2018, 19:25   #10
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
I have a few old Weavers that are gathering dust. I'll make a list if you're interested in some El Paso units.
Old September 29, 2018, 05:10   #11
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazz View Post
I have a few old Weavers that are gathering dust. I'll make a list if you're interested in some El Paso units.
PM sent
Old September 29, 2018, 05:20   #12
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
Hope you turn something up if you haven’t already. They’re common enough that between eBay, gun shows, GB and other gunboards it should be relatively easy to get your hands on a good one at a decent price.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2018, 10:45   #13
d762nato
Registered

I would make sure it has a duplex reticle as the straight wire reticles are hard to see very well compared to the duplex.
Old September 29, 2018, 22:09   #14
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
There is no downside to a rimfire optic that can focus to right in front of the barrel. There might be occasion where the dogs have something treed and the range will be less than five yards. I run a cheap Konus Pro 1.5x5x32 just so I can do that if I need to. I have a Beeman 66R that will do the same. The scopes that don't are sitting in a drawer. Don't know if the old Weavers will do the same but I would check them for that before buying. My .02.
Old September 30, 2018, 07:22   #15
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
There is no downside to a rimfire optic that can focus to right in front of the barrel. There might be occasion where the dogs have something treed and the range will be less than five yards. I run a cheap Konus Pro 1.5x5x32 just so I can do that if I need to. I have a Beeman 66R that will do the same. The scopes that don't are sitting in a drawer. Don't know if the old Weavers will do the same but I would check them for that before buying. My .02.
Thanks for your input. While for a target rifle I can see the desire to have gnat's ass accuracy no matter where the target is located on the range, if I have to use a scope at five yards to hit a coon in a tree I need to give up the guns and go sit in my wheel chair.
Both of my airguns have scopes that focus to down to about ten meters. At that range the shot is still way below the line of sight (I zero at 35 yards, not to mention I'm shooting nearly straight up) and even at minimum magnification I can rarely find the target swaying in the trees. A grackle isn't very patient, especially if he knows you're close so there isn't much time to fidget with an AO or knob. Dead reckoning is the usual method and most of the time very successful.

Having said that, I don't shoot my .22 into the air and I can't see a ground hog or gopher sitting patiently six feet off the end of my barrel while I putz around trying to get my parallax set to the N'th degree.

For the record nobody ever said there was a downside to a rimfire scope that could focus on the end of the barrel. Besides being a gross exaggeration, I simply don't need it for my application so I'm not going to look for or pay for it.

Last edited by hkshooter; September 30, 2018 at 07:47.
hkshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2018, 11:58   #16
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Quote:
Thanks for your input. While for a target rifle I can see the desire to have gnat's ass accuracy no matter where the target is located on the range, if I have to use a scope at five yards to hit a coon in a tree I need to give up the guns and go sit in my wheel chair.
Looks like we have different applications. I seem to have an inexhaustible supply of rats. They come after the chicken feed, dog food and my fruit trees.
I use poison and traps mostly and dont have a air pistol so on occasion when the dogs have one treed I actually like to come up close and pop them with the pellet rifle. You can stand off a thousand yards if you like.

Quote:
Both of my airguns have scopes that focus to down to about ten meters. At that range the shot is still way below the line of sight (I zero at 35 yards, not to mention I'm shooting nearly straight up) and even at minimum magnification I can rarely find the target swaying in the trees. A grackle isn't very patient, especially if he knows you're close so there isn't much time to fidget with an AO or knob. Dead reckoning is the usual method and most of the time very successful.
My Konus is in focus as close as the end of the barrel, no parallax adj at all. Rats can be pretty good at hiding but I'm better at finding them. POI can be a bitch going from 35 yards to point blank for sure.

Quote:
Having said that, I don't shoot my .22 into the air and I can't see a ground hog or gopher sitting patiently six feet off the end of my barrel while I putz around trying to get my parallax set to the N'th degree.
Me neither. No discharge of firearms in city limits at all. No ground hogs or gophers here but plenty of possums who are more than happy to sit there waiting patiently while you line up on them. Bad as they are getting into my chicken coop I can't bring myself to execute them and prefer to chase them off with a broom handle. Dumbest things ever, takes several whacks to persuade them sometimes.

Quote:
For the record nobody ever said there was a downside to a rimfire scope that could focus on the end of the barrel. Besides being a gross exaggeration, I simply don't need it for my application so I'm not going to look for or pay for it.
Focus down TO the end of the barrel is exactly what I wrote. I'm not seeing any exaggeration because it does. Parallax is fixed at 75 yards FIY.
Hope you find what you need.
Old September 30, 2018, 21:58   #17
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

It wouldn't fit the look I'm going for but if I had a Beeman 66R I'd use it here. Fine scope, have experience with them on airguns and a cousin of mine still has one on his RX-1.
Old October 02, 2018, 18:24   #18
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
I had an old 4x Weaver that broke fairly fast. I wasn't very impressed.

I love the current Grand Slam and Super Slam Weaver Scopes - also like the Classic Series. Great scopes for the money.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2018, 16:35   #19
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Solved, just the look I wanted.
Remington 511X Scoremaster w/Weaver K3. Zeroed today and ready for action. The modern rings look a bit out of place but I had them already. They are actually Beeman brand air gun rings from nearly twenty years ago.
Thanks, Gary!

Last edited by hkshooter; November 10, 2018 at 16:41.
hkshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 11, 2018, 09:12   #20
d762nato
Registered

Beautiful old remy you got there and that's the same old weaver I've got on my old pre-64 model 70-06. Nice rifle I bet she shoots great, congrats looks like a nice match up.
Old November 11, 2018, 09:14   #21
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
That's a great pic of a very nice looking setup Troy! Well done indeed sir!

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote