The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old April 14, 2018, 23:39   #1
Imbel '02
Registered

FALaholic #: 27003
SKS Stock

I hope this is in the right spot. Can anyone recommend a quality Monte Carlo type stock for a Norinco SKS that is 'Merican sized? Thanks for any help.
Old April 15, 2018, 08:39   #2
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
Check out Advanced Technology International, they might be your easiest route.

https://www.atioutdoors.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sks
Old April 16, 2018, 23:59   #3
Imbel '02
Registered

Thanks for the info. Looks like what I'm after.
Old April 17, 2018, 17:09   #4
MK ULTRA
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbel '02 View Post
Thanks for the info. Looks like what I'm after.
What do u want for your old one??

MK ULTRA.....OUT.....

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Statesman and Inventor: 1759

Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.....
MK ULTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2018, 20:47   #5
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK ULTRA View Post
What do u want for your old one??
If your rifle is a preban might consider keeping original stock in case decide to sell later as well as bayonet, etc. Not trying to kick you MK Ultraman, just trying to help save potential grief down the road. Left some SKS's stashed at parents house with 600 rounds per rifle. All preban with original 20 round box magazines, added extended butt pads as only mod, told dad to keep one out and left him about 30 stripper clips with non corrosive JSP's.

When dad was dying brother lost his house in the big 2008 crash so dad gave family home to my brother for his family. Moved mom in a little 900 square foot house built for my grandmother in 1970's after remodel. Nephew got hold of the non hidden SKS, put on a coon @$$/redneck folding stock, removed the bayonet so he could put on a cheap flash hider that slipped over the sight and bayonet assembly then of all things removed the pre ban metal 20 round box magazine to swap for a 30 round plastic mag.

After dad died and mom's health began to get worse asked me to come get rifles. Found all the hidden rifles and ammo but the one intended parents to use to defend themselves was gone. About three weeks later mom came to town and had the rifle in its new trim. Asked her about original parts and didn't know. Brother called and said his son spent a lot of his own money upgrading my rifle. Told him swapping out original furniture, bayonet and the 20 round box magazine were not upgrades. Folding stock made it illegal in some states and sucked to boot. Magazine nephew removed was $75 compared to $20 for the plastic junk he put in. Replacement preban bayonet was $50 and stock $70. Brother insisted the rifle was better than before and old parts were long gone. Ended up replacing all for $150 but had to hunt and work to get correct country and series to put rifle back original at fair price.

If plan on keeping and handing down to kids with value being no value or is a late model import selling the original may be zero issue and help finance the new. Just do a little research and figure out what the old stock would cost to replace if rifle has any more value in OEM trim. IMHO & YMMV
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2018, 00:49   #6
Imbel '02
Registered

I don't know all the intricacies of the SKS, but I'll keep the existing stock. I say existing instead of original as it has a "branded in" number on the stock different from the bolt and receiver. It is in very good condition, so I want to retain it. I don't think it's anything special from a collection standpoint. I just want a more user friendly stock for shooting it. It's just too danged short as it is!