Notices

Old January 08, 2019, 17:52   #1
johnnycobra
Registered

FALaholic #: 26209
M1 Super 90 and recoil reducer

I’d always intended to get the Benelli 80207 11oz mercury recoil reducer for
My M1 Super 90.
I understood it wouldn’t work in the pistol grip stock because of the smaller hollow area under the buttpad, but I guess most people don’t have a slot for a sling plate on their sporting stock for their SBEs and M1s either.
I have the same problem fitting the recoil reducer into my sporting stock. I guess it is considered a tactical stock too.
I’ll have to either get a different SBE type stock with a sling stud or dump the recoil reducer.

Is this common knowledge or do I just have an uncommon (early) M1 Stock?
johnnycobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 08, 2019, 18:30   #2
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I use mine to hunt and have no problem with the recoil from 3 inch mags and follow-up shots. And since they are recoil operated, will the reducer affect the operating cycle?

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 08, 2019, 18:46   #3
johnnycobra
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
I use mine to hunt and have no problem with the recoil from 3 inch mags and follow-up shots. And since they are recoil operated, will the reducer affect the operating cycle?
I donít really have a problem with the recoil either, but I donít mind a gentler shooting gun when I can get it

Since it was an official Benelli accessory and I heard good things about it in the past, I picked it up when I ran across it.
I think they were discontinued because they donít fit the fancy M2 rubbery slidey recoil reducing stock. That, and mercury is a scary substance to some folks.

Here is an old link from midway that describes it https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...oz-12-20-gauge
Old January 08, 2019, 22:43   #4
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Looked on the Benelli Forums and there seems to be no trouble installing these on the M1' A special bracket was needed for the Nova. That said, there was no indication as to the age of those shotguns in the Forum.

My M1 was purchased back in 1986-7 time frame. It has a very narrow pistol grip stock. If you want, I can pull my butt pad and take some measurements for you to compare to see if there are stock differences from very old guns to the newer versions.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old January 08, 2019, 22:59   #5
johnnycobra
Registered

Mine is an old one as well, from the 87ish time frame.

If you get a chance to look, that would be great.

My suspicion is that like the pistol grip stock, my sporting type stock has a slot for a sling to mount and this would stop the weighted tube from seating fully. The stock just gets too narrow in the last 1/2” or so

I have a stock like this
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...ynthetic-black

I believe the newer 1990ish? And super black eagles came with this? Or maybe it is an M1 field stock vs the other being a “tactical” stock?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/53...ynthetic-black
Old January 09, 2019, 16:33   #6
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Just checked. A little over an inch wide at the end of the stock and narrows to ĺ inch at the sling plate which is 3 inches in from the end of the stock. The stock nut has a lock washer and spacer below it to hold the stock and sling plate. So it looks like the reducer would screw down flush on the sling plate and hold everything tight. Looks like the one you have is the small one and should be ĺ" X 3" and screws right on. If so, that one should screw on to my shotgun and butt up against the sling plate.

Found this on the web: Instructions for the 80207...

Old January 10, 2019, 09:22   #7
johnnycobra
Registered

Thanks for that.
The reducer was sealed in the bag with the same instruction sheet, but looks like it is fatter than 3/4Ē
Iíll measure when I get a moment.
Old January 13, 2019, 18:23   #8
johnnycobra
Registered

The recoil reducer is 1Ē across, not 3/4Ē.
It appears to only work with stocks that arenít reinforced for a sling mount that goes through the stock, it appears
Old Yesterday, 00:33   #9
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

The Benelli 80208 is just under an inch in diameter but I think it is longer than 3 inches - around 4" IIRC.