Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old March 12, 2019, 12:39   #1
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
no such thing as a hotel in brooklyn with on site parking

i hate this job.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2019, 21:48   #2
justashooter
Registered

shithole city, is what it is. shithole hotel in which nothing works, the only english speaker in sight. thrump was talking about brooklyn.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
Old March 12, 2019, 22:04   #3
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
I read someplace a Hypothetical question is asked ---You Have 3 Nuke weapons==WHERE do you Use them ,,

NY City is first on my List !!
randy762ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2019, 22:10   #4
FNfreak
Registered

FALaholic #: 1081
Your car will be "parked" off site in New jersey and will take about 1 hour to retrieve... dont be in a rush to check out. Also, find the nearest car wash because when your car is returned, it will be covered in some form of toxic industrial soot and sludge. Probably mildly radioactive...good luck. Brooklyn....seriously????Who the F%^K stays in Brooklyn???? Go to lower Manhattan to see semi civilized people....or way out Long Island....otherwise....good luck.
FNfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2019, 22:22   #5
justashooter
Registered

witnessing a bridge sub assembly process on barge at a marine terminal as EOR for NY city. the money is good, and this shithole hotel looked better on the net than it does in real life and is only a mile from the job site. will find something better toot sweet. "made" some parking today, but who knows about tomorrow.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old March 13, 2019, 04:47   #6
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy762ak View Post
I read someplace a Hypothetical question is asked ---You Have 3 Nuke weapons==WHERE do you Use them ,,

NY City is first on my List !!
That and second and third on my list.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019, 05:23   #7
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
WhereTF are you in brooklyn ?
Because to tell you the truth, while I can only recall a few hotels off hand, I cant recall even a single one that DIDN'T have on-site parking
And off site to the toxic wast dump state is just some kind of joke for the uninformed that have never been outside of their birth county,, I guess
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019, 09:09   #8
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Hotels suck except for one night stays. Airbnb is the winner when it comes to more than two nights. Stayed at a decent place close to Harlem in 2016 for a week for a fraction of the price of a hotel. Hotels are for suckers.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019, 10:08   #9
AliYahu
Registered

FALaholic #: 11084
The hotel in Boro Park - I think it's a Day's Inn - has some parking as I recall. What the hell are you doing in Brooklyn? Nothing but Orthodox Jews, hipsters, and urban primates there - I go for the Jews.

Eli
AliYahu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019, 12:51   #10
clodhopper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65715
I have to go to Queens a few times a year to assist a client. I fly in and use cabs to get to and from. The shite hotel is a few blocks from the client and it also has no parking. The client's staff spends at least half of every day dealing with parking, paying meters, shuffling cars around, sharking for parking spots... on and on. It is amazing anything gets done in NY. Everyone is hyper focused on dealing with living there, which seems to over-ride anything on the business side.
clodhopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019, 13:20   #11
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
I take the train into Penn Station. $55 from upstate. Cabs take you anywhere.

If you can find a parking spot in Manhattan, it costs over $1,000/mo.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2019, 17:20   #12
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by V guy View Post
I take the train into Penn Station. $55 from upstate. Cabs take you anywhere.

If you can find a parking spot in Manhattan, it costs over $1,000/mo.
AND your car can still very well come up stolen,,,,especially if youve been there awhile and have an older, grandfathered monthly rate...
Old March 13, 2019, 17:36   #13
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
Hotels are for suckers.
hotels are for people who have to validate expense accounts.

lots of indians, bangladeshi, chinese, and mestizos here. few blacks and whites.

the entire union iron-workers erection crew is white and from NJ.

Old March 13, 2019, 19:30   #14
yovinny
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

Some useless trivia,,,at one time, Brooklyn was the 4th largest city in the USA.
But then it joined Manhatten and became part of NYC in 1898.

The Brooklyn Dogers earned that name because of some of the very first cable powered trolly cars in the USA.
Before the trolly cars in Brooklyn, a horse drawing a trolly waggon woukd stop if you stepped off the curb in front of it,,not so a cable car, so by the pen of the famous Nelly Bly, Brooklynites became know as 'trolly dodgers',,,later shortened to just 'Dodgers'.
Old March 13, 2019, 22:56   #15
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
hotels are for people who have to validate expense accounts.

lots of indians, bangladeshi, chinese, and mestizos here. few blacks and whites.

the entire union iron-workers erection crew is white and from NJ.
$704 a month for a room in a residence is cheaper than any shit box hotel in NYC.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3294178...s=1&s=DV_lkM8j

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 14:51   #16
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gman View Post
$704 a month for a room in a residence is cheaper than any shit box hotel in NYC.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3294178...s=1&s=DV_lkM8j
federally funded contract does not allow that kind of housing expense. nit-pickers are the reason they pay me to be here. gotta have a guy with the right inspection liscense when you spend public money, so you make him jump thru hoops, too.

Old March 14, 2019, 16:09   #17
johnnycobra
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26209
I haven’t stayed in NYC for over 10years.
When I did visit more recently, I stayed at the Sheraton in Weehawken NJ and rode the hotel ferry to the city or I stayed on Long Island and drove to some place on the metro/subway thing.
It’s always interesting to visit but amazes me that people live there daily.
Even more so now that the internet and corporate franchises have brought almost everything that I would want from that city to every metro.

I guess Broadway is still broadway, Central Park is still neat and if you have a job to do that pays, you have to go there but I’m not sure there is much else I “need” personally from there

Godspeed on getting back to civilization soon with $ in your pocket
johnnycobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2019, 16:33   #18
Riversidesports
keeping it cool
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycobra View Post
I haven’t stayed in NYC for over 10years.
When I did visit more recently, I stayed at the Sheraton in Weehawken NJ and rode the hotel ferry to the city or I stayed on Long Island and drove to some place on the metro/subway thing.
It’s always interesting to visit but amazes me that people live there daily.
Even more so now that the internet and corporate franchises have brought almost everything that I would want from that city to every metro.

I guess Broadway is still broadway, Central Park is still neat and if you have a job to do that pays, you have to go there but I’m not sure there is much else I “need” personally from there

Godspeed on getting back to civilization soon with $ in your pocket
Pretty much same here
1st visited back in the 80s after a deployed Squid buddy came back on leave, stayed at his tiny little studio apartment in Greenwich Village
I'll be honest, it was a pretty cool time back then.
Great Food
Bars
Broads
and the Museums/Galleries were extremely cool

Some things were dirt cheap like really nice leather jackets
electronics were very reasonable too

still it was claustrophobic
two weeks burned me right up

Have a close friend in Manhattan
Still have keys for her flat, any time you want feel free to use it, just give me a call ahead of time she sez in a note. Really only slightly tempted. Wouldn't mind hitting the galleries and museums one more time but the whole nature of NYC is wackadoodle these days, well maybe not so much Manhattan
or maybe even more !
Her place is a ways from the village, pretty high rent zone but even in the 80s there were freaks all over lower Manhattan
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote