Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old February 19, 2019, 11:42   #1
Uncle Mick
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 72942
$43 to ship a $200 pistol

From Classic Firearms. Received for a customer. Nice pistol, but $43 to ship a handgun seems to me a bit on the high side. And why is a North Carolina company charging tax on a North Dakota sale? Shipped 3-Day Priority Mail. Nothing out of my pocket, but just wondering?

Romanian TTC Tokarev Pistol $219.00
Hand select $ 20.00

Subtotal $239.99
Shipping & Handling $27.30
Tax $13.58
Shipping Insurance $3.00
Grand Total $283.87

[IMG][/IMG]
Uncle Mick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 13:17   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Classic wanted to bite me with tax as well, AND tax on the shipping on the Galil Ace "blems" they were blowing out.

Smoky Mountain sold them for $100 more but free shipping and no tax, so was actually cheaper.

I put all the companies that are now charging tax on my "do not buy" list. Sportsman's Guide was the first to fall.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 13:34   #3
pl521
Registered

FALaholic #: 74645
I had to go through similar experience recently. By the time $25 transfee fee was added to the bill it was almost $85 to ship a pistol.
pl521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 13:40   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
See:
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...-tax-laws.html
and
https://www.salestaxinstitute.com/re...er-nexus-chart

Quote:
On June 21, 2018, the United States Supreme Court fundamentally changed the rules for collection of sales tax by Internet-based retailers. In its decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc., the Court effectively stated that individual states can require online sellers to collect state sales tax on their sales. This ruling overturns the Court’s 1992 decision in Quill Corporation v. North Dakota. The Quill case prohibited states from requiring a business to collect sales tax unless the business had a physical presence in the state.

For many years, states argued that they were losing a lot of money by not being able to collect sales tax on Internet sales to customers located in their states. Formerly the burden was on the customer rather than the seller to pay the relevant tax. In that case, the tax generally is called use tax rather than sales tax – and customers often simply did not pay use tax to the state.

If you are selling on the Internet to states around the country, you now will need to be aware of which states have enacted laws requiring the collection of sales tax by online sellers. In order for a given state to require you to collect sales tax, that state must pass a law allowing it to do so

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 13:55   #5
Uncle Mick
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the clarification W.E.G. Right as usual. North Dakota has joined the money grubbers and now requires many online sellers to collect sales tax.
Old February 19, 2019, 14:24   #6
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
But 43 does seem high for shipping ..esp as FFL can legal (last I check ) send handguns USPS for way cheeper
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 14:37   #7
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
But 43 does seem high for shipping ..esp as FFL can legal (last I check ) send handguns USPS for way cheeper
Medium flat rate box is $14.35. Dealer has no flex on that.

The tax and insurance are whatever the man says it is. Dealer has no flex on that.

So dealer charged $12.95 "handling" to pull the correct product, box it up, fill out the USPS gun-dealer paperwork, get to the post office, and deal with the lines and USPS personnel.

I dunno, maybe the dealer is such high volume, that all that gets amortized to a very small dollar-number. Maybe that dealer gets special treatment by USPS personnel so the dealer (or his employee) doesen't have to stand in line behind some goob who has to have it explained to him five times by a non-native-English USPS employee what is "the cheapest" way to ship a book back to Amazon.

You couldn't get most teenagers walk to the corner and mail a letter in the blue box for $12.95.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 14:50   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Some businesses do well with shipping, others don't. The overhead costs are real with respect to boxing it up, generating a label, and the actual freight. Basically they paid about 10% on freight and handling. I'm not surprised. People that depend on mail order business normally build it into the price so there is not as much sticker shock.

Freight cost in my business is easily around 8% of the cost of the product and we have good rates. Then they try to tack on another 4-5% to cover the overhead

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 15:02   #9
TraFALgar
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 4366
According to Classic's Shipping Info page :
Quote:
Handgun orders will either ship UPS Air, FedEx Express (Air) or USPS Priority mail at the discretion of Classic Firearms.
I interpret that to mean they charge customers for FedEx Express (Air) and then ship by much cheaper Priority Flat Rate. Guess who keeps the difference.
TraFALgar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 16:48   #10
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Shipping was only $27, which is fair. The no tax was pretty much the major thing keeping mail order alive, if I had to pay tax and shipping I'd shop local. Or not buy at all.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 16:59   #11
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Not surprising as shipping rates are up across the board. Even UPS and FedEx raised rates and soon Amazon will likely have a shipping surcharge when their USPS contract runs out (or even before). The states and the Congressional Repubes have pushed for state sales taxes from online retailers and seems most are now complying. The good old days of offsetting sales taxes with free shipping are effectively over.
Old February 19, 2019, 17:52   #12
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick View Post
Romanian TTC Tokarev Pistol $219.00
Hand select $ 20.00

Subtotal $239.99
Shipping & Handling $27.30
Tax $13.58
Shipping Insurance $3.00
Grand Total $283.87

So it is actually $30.30 for shipping and insurance ?

And the purchaser was aware of the charges before pressing the 'GO' button ?

What did I miss here ?

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 18:03   #13
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
A couple of years ago a local FFL friend told me he charged a flat rate of $35 to mail a gun. Said he made $10 or $12 usually on a handgun. On long guns he was near break-even and occasionally lost a couple or three dollars.

Long story short, it was certainly not a big "profit center" for his business, but it worked out financially OK on average and he considered it a customer service he felt added value for people to do business with him. It is worth noting he was not a high-volume shipper and had to do this at the post office on his lunch hour with no cost added for the value of his time.

It sounded very reasonable to me, but YMMV.
Old February 19, 2019, 18:13   #14
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Over the last 6 months and 30+ shipments I have noticed the prices going up across the board for shipping and insurance. FedEx has been $2 to $3 cheaper every damn time.

One of todays shipments (don't remember the pennies on the UPS and USPS.

FedEx $15.04

USPS $16.xx

UPS $18.xx

I sent it FedEx.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 22:11   #15
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Medium flat rate box is $14.35. Dealer has no flex on that.

The tax and insurance are whatever the man says it is. Dealer has no flex on that.

So dealer charged $12.95 "handling" to pull the correct product, box it up, fill out the USPS gun-dealer paperwork, get to the post office, and deal with the lines and USPS personnel.

I dunno, maybe the dealer is such high volume, that all that gets amortized to a very small dollar-number. Maybe that dealer gets special treatment by USPS personnel so the dealer (or his employee) doesen't have to stand in line behind some goob who has to have it explained to him five times by a non-native-English USPS employee what is "the cheapest" way to ship a book back to Amazon.

You couldn't get most teenagers walk to the corner and mail a letter in the blue box for $12.95.
Balls. Businesses as big as Classic don't send anyone to the PO: USPS comes to their place of business to collect their shit because they are doing huge volumes with them. I had a shipping guy at LWRC who handled all shipping related tasks including final inspection, ensuring the item to be shipped was the right item, the destination and FFL details were correct and that it had been removed from our bound book. His salary came out of our operating budget not from the overcharging of shipping and handling as we charged right about what it cost us to ship. UPS and later FedEx came to the shop for deliveries and pick up 5 days a week, nary an additional charge was levied for same because we negotiated with them to not charge us.

Classic is making money on shipping and handling for sure.

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 22:55   #16
lockjaw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
USPS flat rate boxes are free. Hell, they even self seal, don’t have to pay for tape!

How much effort does it take to wrap a handgun (especially if in original case) up in bubble wrap and shove it in a preassembled box?

Now, rifles on the other hand...they can take some work and ingenuity to safely pack and ship. I can see, and agree with, charging $10 or $20 to safely package a rifle for shipment. I often simply buy an inexpensive gun case for shipment... a lot less hassle than copious amounts of bubble wrap and other packaging materials.

But, as others hit on, take account the shipping fees before buying/bidding. If we want the gun bad enough, we’ll begrudgingly pay it.
Old February 19, 2019, 23:05   #17
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
USPS flat rate boxes are free. Hell, they even self seal, don’t have to pay for tape!

How much effort does it take to wrap a handgun (especially if in original case) up in bubble wrap and shove it in a preassembled box?

Now, rifles on the other hand...they can take some work and ingenuity to safely pack and ship. I can see, and agree with, charging $10 or $20 to safely package a rifle for shipment. I often simply buy an inexpensive gun case for shipment... a lot less hassle than copious amounts of bubble wrap and other packaging materials.

But, as others hit on, take account the shipping fees before buying/bidding. If we want the gun bad enough, we’ll begrudgingly pay it.
They are not free. You pay for the box. If you ship the same size box you provide, with the same weight, and the same amount of insurance, your box will be cheaper.

I charge only the actual amount of of the least expensive shipping when selling. Most guys buying round up to the next dollar.
So if it's $37.93 they'll send $38.00
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2019, 23:44   #18
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
classic is on my "do not order from" list.

Has been for years after SEVERAL orders where guns were not as described, refunds nearly took the police etc

**** em.
Old February 20, 2019, 07:36   #19
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Yep, my one and only order from them was for a Tork several years ago. Shipping cost surprised me and I have not ordered from them since. Not crying, just find better deals elsewhere.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2019, 07:42   #20
Gazz
Registered

FALaholic #: 15159
Sometimes shipping flat rate USPS priority is more than using your own box and shipping priority, sometimes not. And I would never trust the self sealing junk on the flat rate boxes for more than a minute - I always tape them too.
I like to think there is an added level of care by the PO for the priority mail stuff and also like to think that the less time a package is in their hands, the less chance there is of it being damaged, lost or stolen. Amazon is making it tough for everybody else with free shipping (in many cases) for Prime members. Of course there are no Tokarevs for sale on Amazon.
Old February 22, 2019, 09:17   #21
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
If you have a USPS online account to print the labels you can use Regional (zoned) Priority Flat Rate. 2 different shaped boxes for both A & B size and rate classes. The boxes ARE free and shipped to you free. Order online since the post office can't get them to give out (just ordered some more). A handgun can be sent to a neigboring state by an FFL here in New England for a $7.65 (A) or $8.05 (B) up to $11.20 (A) or $21.03 (B) to the Left Coast. 15# weight limit on A; 20# on B.
Old February 22, 2019, 11:49   #22
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
the big problem here is that you bought a romanian tokarev, and you could have had a yugo 57 for the same price. having used both i prefer the yugo because it is better built and has a longer grip and a 9 shot magazine, as compared to the 8 shot in the romanian. that said, i have a spare romanian mag if you want it. send me a pm.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2019, 16:21   #23
Uncle Mick
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the offer Justashooter, but this pistola has already been picked up by the person who ordered it. I just handled the transfer.
Old March 07, 2019, 12:11   #24
Surly
Registered

FALaholic #: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
Over the last 6 months and 30+ shipments I have noticed the prices going up across the board for shipping and insurance. FedEx has been $2 to $3 cheaper every damn time.

One of todays shipments (don't remember the pennies on the UPS and USPS.

FedEx $15.04

USPS $16.xx

UPS $18.xx

I sent it FedEx.
F'edEx isn't unionized...the other two are. That's what the extra $$ goes toward. USPS is subsidized by us, the tax slaves, and they still can't turn a profit.

An armed civilian is a citizen.
A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 07, 2019, 13:45   #25
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
I always hear this whining from freeloaders, "how much does it cost for tape and bubble wrap and peanuts!".

I'll tell you from running an ebay business for years, it costs lots. I used to buy shipping supplies in bulk and even buying in as much bulk as it could feasibly afford and store, it all adds up. In my ebay auctions I was always clear there was both a shipping cost and a packaging cost, all combined into one fee. AND ebay even started charging auction fees on the shipping and packaging fee, not sure if they still do that or not. If I'm not covering my costs and making a profit to provide you with something you want, then there is no point in me doing it.

I'm sure these days that Amazon Prime has fried a lot of brains in expecting "free" shipping.

On the sales tax issue, well it's all BS. Sales tax should be charged at the point of sale and that's it. Vendors should not have to be collecting tax for a bazillion different localities.
wanneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 07:20   #26
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I was just in the my local UPS Store and posted right behind the counter at eye level was a sign that said “UPS corporate policy was no shipping of guns or gun parts at all”. Just thought that was interesting and add them to my do not use list.

As far as the collection of taxes for internet sales, I’m ok with it. And in this day and age when just about anything and everything can be bought online it only makes sense. Utah cut a deal with Amazon that lets Amazon keep a portion of the sales tax that they collect. This year the state was saying they had an extra billion dollars in revenue. They were also looking at lowering the sales tax rate too. Everyone bitches and complains about paying more taxes, however we all like to drive on nice roads other services that are funded by taxes. At some point in the future, without collecting sales tax from online sales, you’ll get hit with another tax to make up the difference in the state coffers that may or may not reflect how much you would have spent on online purchases. I would rather that tax bill be what I actually spent not what some politician thinks is my fair share of the tax burden.

Last edited by grumpy1; March 09, 2019 at 07:39.
grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2019, 11:49   #27
Surly
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
I was just in the my local UPS Store and posted right behind the counter at eye level was a sign that said “UPS corporate policy was no shipping of guns or gun parts at all”. Just thought that was interesting and add them to my do not use list.
That's a lie posted by the UPS store owner. The individual stores are privately owned and you have a commie cocksucker running that one. You have to ship guns at the depot or have brown Santa pick them up.

Quote:
Everyone bitches and complains about paying more taxes, however we all like to drive on nice roads other services that are funded by taxes.
Idiots that don't know better bitch about taxes in general. I bitch about how taxes are WASTED and then increased to compensate for their mismanagement. That's the problem. It's my fukn money too! I should have a say whether or not it's going toward infrastructure, defense, the slaughtering of the unborn, collective bargaining against the tax payer with unionized government employees, and socialist services for bums and illegals.

Don't feed me the lie about voting...that's complete and total bullshit and everyone knows it's corrupted. If you don't see it, you shouldn't be allowed to vote because stupid breeds more stupidity. If you're not a tax-paying property owner you shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway, as you don't have a vested interest in this country.

If the money was spent how it is supposed to be spent, our taxes would be much lower and the corruption would be starved of money and would fukn die.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Old March 09, 2019, 15:35   #28
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
the UPS company holds a corporate FFL that does not cover their privately owned storefront associates, so it would be a violation of fed law for a storefront to take in your gun. you have to go to a terminal hub or have it picked up by truck for them to be covered under the liscence.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
Old March 10, 2019, 11:02   #29
Surly
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
the UPS company holds a corporate FFL that does not cover their privately owned storefront associates, so it would be a violation of fed law for a storefront to take in your gun. you have to go to a terminal hub or have it picked up by truck for them to be covered under the liscence.
Why would UPS have an FFL? They are not engaging in the business of firearms. They do not need an FFL to ship firearms. There is no "shipping FFL" entities have to apply for and retain.

If that were the case, every shipping company would have to hold an FFL. They would also have to conduct themselves as an FFL with an A&D log, NICS checks, etc. There are no federal laws regulating shippers on shipping firearms. All of the "rules" each shipper has are internal.

This is one of the biggest loads of "FFL myths" horseshit that I have ever read.

If I am wrong, post specific links citing your claims.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Old March 10, 2019, 12:30   #30
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
The little UPS and Fedex Storefronts are franchises (I believe) and don't want to deal with guns.

FEDEX and UPS had a policy of demanding next day air service for handguns but I was able to ship a handgun FEDEX ground the other day - think they have lightened up on it or most employees are unaware of the policy.
nvcdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2019, 20:10   #31
Surly
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
The little UPS and Fedex Storefronts are franchises (I believe) and don't want to deal with guns.
They are privately owned...just like any other franchise. They are not part of UPS or FedEx. Does anyone read around here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvcdl View Post
FEDEX and UPS had a policy of demanding next day air service for handguns but I was able to ship a handgun FEDEX ground the other day - think they have lightened up on it or most employees are unaware of the policy.
It's a company policy, not a federal, state or local law. Send them as parts and insure them accordingly.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Old March 11, 2019, 11:41   #32
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly View Post
Why would UPS have an FFL? They are not engaging in the business of firearms. They do not need an FFL to ship firearms. There is no "shipping FFL" entities have to apply for and retain.
i had this from a UPS manager, that there are federal restrictions that apply to transportation companies that transport firearms, and that they are "liscensed" by application and agreement. not in the same category as a vendor of firearms, but as a business that routinely possesses a federally controlled item in interstate transport, in the same way that they have a special agreement to transport narcotics.

i am not in this business, but i can see that the sky is blue.

Old March 12, 2019, 21:05   #33
Surly
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
i had this from a UPS manager, that there are federal restrictions that apply to transportation companies that transport firearms, and that they are "liscensed" by application and agreement. not in the same category as a vendor of firearms, but as a business that routinely possesses a federally controlled item in interstate transport, in the same way that they have a special agreement to transport narcotics.

i am not in this business, but i can see that the sky is blue.
Way back when I used to throw boxes for UPS. The managers there are full of shit. Their only job is to make sure the unionized thieving employees aren't stealing shit.

They may have to be bonded or under some other scrutiny, but there are no licenses issued by the ATF for shippers of firearms.

Prove me wrong and cite a link where I need to apply for a license to transport firearms as a carrier/shipper: https://www.atf.gov/firearms

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Old March 16, 2019, 17:37   #34
ServiceRifle
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 23959
Brownells IS NOT collecting sales tax
ServiceRifle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019, 13:57   #35
Richard W.
Contributor

FALaholic #: 7133
$30.30 is nothing. I'd pay that "happily".

Try buying a handgun from a non-FFL on GB. It has to go UPS Air because UPS can't stop their own employees from stealing shit out of the Ground shipments, so you get a bona fide ass raping.
Richard W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019, 15:05   #36
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockjaw View Post
USPS flat rate boxes are free. Hell, they even self seal, don’t have to pay for tape! How much effort does it take to wrap a handgun (especially if in original case) up in bubble wrap and shove it in a preassembled box?(
Where do YOU get pre-assembled boxes from?