The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 05, 2018, 09:16   #1
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Black sow down

I've got a lot of feral pigs around my place in the country. I haven't been very successful in shooting them. Until late yesterday. I went out there to pick a mess of poke salad. I've been mowing the pasture and had spotted some along the brush piles on the fence row. After cutting a garbage bag full, I ran the "test" mode on the feeder and climbed into the box blind. For 0302, that's what I call my hunting lodge.

I sat there for at least 2 1/2 hours and finally watched a young deer graze a little, and then a couple more joined. It was getting later and darker and I kept checking the scope to see how much I could see. I decided to give up, had the rifle scope covered, and the rifle standing in the corner of the blind as I gathered up the rest of my stuff. Then I looked out a window and there was a steady stream of black pigs coming out of the woods. Shit! I had a feeling I would see some but had just given up too quickly. I slipped my ear plugs back in, grabbed the rifle and eased it up on the window edge. None of them seemed to even look toward the feeder and the lead pig came closer and closer to me. It was about 7:20 when I decided that it would soon be too dark to shoot and I shot the closest pig. She went down (I had already seen her teats) and the rest scattered. It was then that I saw the little piglets. There were about 10 or 12 and not very big. They were milling around a bit before following the other grown pigs back into the woods. I took a few shots at them as they ran but didn't hit any. There was a lot of brass banging around inside that box blind!

Meanwhile. the sow I had shot had started struggling to get up. I shot her a few more times and walked the forty yards to check out my kill. She was a good-sized sow and her teats were full. Not a young mother by any means, her snout was long and her tusks looked gnarly and worn. I got a few pics by the headlights of the Ford truck. One less pig slept at Brokenoak last night.











The rifle used is my first Sledgehammer build, from back in 2002. It's a 21" IMBEL and carries an ARMS #3 mount and a Weaver V3 scope in Warne rings. It's a heavy beast but easy to shoot from a good, solid position. She's been the bane of a few other pigs before. The ammunition was Port surplus.
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.

Last edited by Texgunner; April 05, 2018 at 23:10.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2018, 09:51   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 13,123
What you gonna do with the pig? I have no desire to eat one of those nasty things.
__________________
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2018, 09:52   #3
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
What you gonna do with the pig? I have no desire to eat one of those nasty things.
"Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms"-Josey Wales

I suspect the coyotes (and other pigs?) made quick work of her last night. I'm going out later to check.
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2018, 10:39   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 13,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
"Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms"-Josey Wales

I suspect the coyotes (and other pigs?) made quick work of her last night. I'm going out later to check.
Yeah, around here I bet 50 or more buzzards would be on that in no time
__________________
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2018, 10:40   #5
Randall
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 4979
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 2,831
Nice job Tex. An older pig like that probably wouldn't taste very good. Still, if you got her cooled down quickly, she might eat okay. I'd give her a try.
__________________
Purveyor Of Stupid Questions
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2018, 12:30   #6
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Yeah, around here I bet 50 or more buzzards would be on that in no time
Man, the buzzard population around here is growing like crazy. Here in town, they've just become brazen; standing in the street over a dead squirrel, daring you to hit or run around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
Nice job Tex. An older pig like that probably wouldn't taste very good. Still, if you got her cooled down quickly, she might eat okay. I'd give her a try.
Thank you sir!
One of the piglets who got away would've sure been good on a bbq pit.
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2018, 12:41   #7
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
lew's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 16727
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,024
A dead hog's a good hog. Well done!
__________________
Statism: Ideas so great, they're mandatory.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2018, 23:07   #8
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
A dead hog's a good hog. Well done!
Thanks lew! I agree 100%.

Just a couple million to go...
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 05, 2018, 23:24   #9
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Yeah, around here I bet 50 or more buzzards would be on that in no time
I went back out there this afternoon. I was surprised to find the sow basically as I had left her, with about 10-12 buzzards standing over her, and flying back and forth. When I left about an hour or so later, there were a whole bunch of buzzards all sitting in dead tree about 60,70 yards from the dead pig. And some were at the sow.

While shredding the pasture, I had seen 5 or 6 of what appeared to be red-tailed hawks patrolling the cut meadows. They would stand and wait right on the edge of the mowing. After seeing a lot of field mice running around I knew why. It looked like some of those birds were over by the sow too. Maybe the coyotes didn't find her last night?
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 06, 2018, 14:01   #10
lakipolitis
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80894
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
What you gonna do with the pig? I have no desire to eat one of those nasty things.
Best hog I ever ate was a 296lb nasty boar hog. Dropped with a 300 WSM right through the skull. In one ear and out the other. He didn't even drop, or flop, just crumpled into a pile where he stood. No idea he was shot.

Only reason we shot it was because we were hunting off some buddy's sugar cane down here. Figured we saw this massive sow... because there were no shanks. Lo and behold, as we're walking up to drag that beast out, I yell at my buddy that he killed a boar hog. Not even a barr. Turns out, all that cane had rotted his entire bottom jaw line out while he spent his entire life marinating.

I've eaten tons of hogs. Most of them about the size in this thread. Usually sows. What do you guys have for them to eat, Texgunner? Most of ours here in South Florida are munching on cane, orange, lettuce/cabbage, or soy. They eat REALLY well. (Until you get them swamp hogs... those you feed to the gators).
__________________
Found my R1 Parts Kit - got tons of extra parts pm me
lakipolitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 06, 2018, 14:30   #11
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakipolitis View Post
What do you guys have for them to eat, Texgunner? Most of ours here in South Florida are munching on cane, orange, lettuce/cabbage, or soy. They eat REALLY well. (Until you get them swamp hogs... those you feed to the gators).
Well, they live in a post oak wood so acorns are a good bet. Might be a little grain grown nearby, I'm not sure. They are pretty opportunistic though aren't they? A perfect omnivore I'd say.
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 06, 2018, 20:06   #12
lakipolitis
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80894
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Well, they live in a post oak wood so acorns are a good bet. Might be a little grain grown nearby, I'm not sure. They are pretty opportunistic though aren't they? A perfect omnivore I'd say.
Acorn-fed isn't bad. A little bit yellow in the fat, but with some grain, I'd venture to say your sows probably taste pretty good, right??

OHHHHhh they're definitely opportunistic!! When they live in the swamp down here, they're eating roots, dead fish, frogs, all types of random BS. They're 1000% omnivores. That's why I said the swamp hogs... straight to the gators.
__________________
Found my R1 Parts Kit - got tons of extra parts pm me
lakipolitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 06, 2018, 22:45   #13
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 13,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
I went back out there this afternoon. I was surprised to find the sow basically as I had left her, with about 10-12 buzzards standing over her, and flying back and forth. When I left about an hour or so later, there were a whole bunch of buzzards all sitting in dead tree about 60,70 yards from the dead pig. And some were at the sow.

While shredding the pasture, I had seen 5 or 6 of what appeared to be red-tailed hawks patrolling the cut meadows. They would stand and wait right on the edge of the mowing. After seeing a lot of field mice running around I knew why. It looked like some of those birds were over by the sow too. Maybe the coyotes didn't find her last night?
Really? Damn.... buzzards don't want it Guess the worms gonna get it. That's what I was wondering on how to get rid of the carcass. Maybe the rest of the hive will come back by a eat that stinky thing.

Been cutting some limbs here and notice the hawks like to hang out more when they don't have to worry diving in on the ground to snag a rat or gopher.
__________________
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 06, 2018, 23:26   #14
Illurian00
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 28599
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,716
Maybe break down a buy a box of softpoints /
Illurian00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2018, 01:06   #15
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor
 
Right Side Up's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 43
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 7,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
What you gonna do with the pig? I have no desire to eat one of those nasty things.
It's better than the pork you buy at the market. No antibiotics. No hormones. Organically fed. Once you get that ugly hide stripped off it's nice beautiful meat. I don't ever gut and completely skin one anymore. I just peel the hide back enough to get the backstraps and the hams.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2018, 07:42   #16
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakipolitis View Post
Acorn-fed isn't bad. A little bit yellow in the fat, but with some grain, I'd venture to say your sows probably taste pretty good, right??
I don't know. I've never eaten them, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
Really? Damn.... buzzards don't want it Guess the worms gonna get it. That's what I was wondering on how to get rid of the carcass. Maybe the rest of the hive will come back by a eat that stinky thing.

Been cutting some limbs here and notice the hawks like to hang out more when they don't have to worry diving in on the ground to snag a rat or gopher.
I'm going back after while and see what's left. I suspect the coyotes found the carcass by now. Also want to check the rainfall out there. I've got about half the pasture cut and it rained last night. Now I'll wait until it dries out to cut the rest. I tell ya, a Country Squire's work is never done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illurian00 View Post
Maybe break down a buy a box of softpoints /
You may be right. But, that Port surplus has been quite effective before.







Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
I just peel the hide back enough to get the backstraps and the hams.
I've talked to a few local guys who have been cutting them like that. Some were using razor knives, or box cutters to slice through the hide I believe. May have to try that technique too.
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2018, 09:04   #17
lakipolitis
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80894
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Side Up View Post
It's better than the pork you buy at the market. No antibiotics. No hormones. Organically fed. Once you get that ugly hide stripped off it's nice beautiful meat. I don't ever gut and completely skin one anymore. I just peel the hide back enough to get the backstraps and the hams.
1000%! I haven't gutted a hog in legit 6 years. I field dress on a tailgate. I peel that cape back with a good short, stout blade. I take hams, shoulders, back strap, and as much neck meat as I can. Shoulders and neck get ground into breakfast sausage, hams are Italian and jalapeno cheddar sausage. And backstrap gets grilled just like that.

Texgunner, do you have a butcher that will process for you once you quarter? I pay $60 and get freezer ready ground packages on a 90lb sow.
__________________
Found my R1 Parts Kit - got tons of extra parts pm me
lakipolitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2018, 09:18   #18
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakipolitis View Post
1000%! I haven't gutted a hog in legit 6 years. I field dress on a tailgate. I peel that cape back with a good short, stout blade. I take hams, shoulders, back strap, and as much neck meat as I can. Shoulders and neck get ground into breakfast sausage, hams are Italian and jalapeno cheddar sausage. And backstrap gets grilled just like that.

Texgunner, do you have a butcher that will process for you once you quarter? I pay $60 and get freezer ready ground packages on a 90lb sow.
That sounds like a good plan. No local butchers, other than the supermarket guys, but there are a few good meat processors nearby(20-30 miles) who do that work. I may look into that!
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2018, 15:48   #19
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Well, there was a severed leg laying about 15-20 feet away from the death scene. At that death spot, there was only a dark-stained, depressed place. My wife and I drove around the mowed area, looking for any other remains and saw none. However, driving about 150 yards away, back towards a stock tank and another feeder, we came across what was left of the carcass.

At first, we thought it looked too "aged" and I wondered if it might be a hog I thought I'd shot through and lost two weeks ago. But then, getting a closer look, I saw it was the fresher pig, killed Wednesday. The hide was turned inside out and every scrap of meat was gnawed off the inside of the hide and the bones, especially the ribs. A twisted bit of hide connected what I take to be the rear end and what's left of another leg or foot. There was a faint smell coming off the pile but it looked remarkably clean.









__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2018, 16:01   #20
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 34604
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SA Tx
Posts: 13,123
Wow! They even ate the squeal. My parents would tell about butchering a hog back in the 30ís when they were kids in the MS delta that everything was used but the hooves and the oink
__________________
Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2018, 20:07   #21
0302
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 348
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 8,701
just one?
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 07, 2018, 23:42   #22
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0302 View Post
just one?
Yep. Ran out of bullets.
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2018, 12:08   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 5,582
Brother has been telling me between the coyote and now wild hogs the farm is getting ripped to shreds. The coyote wiped out our wild quail population within five years if me moving away in mid 80's. I had a gun room that overlooked the pasture and overflow bench for reloading equipment that didn't fit in the gun room in bedroom and between the two could get views of huge slices of pasture. Grandmother could see mid upper pasture and the coyote stayed out of upper pasture where the ornary bull was kept as he would stomp anything to death he could out of meanness. I would burn every coyote saw, if grandmother or dad spotted one they would tell me where they saw it stalking and would work that area of pasture till him and his pals were all dead.

Had to keep the ground hogs killed or horses would get hurt stepping in holes so like it is here on the Pinderosa, living on the farm was a full time killing job. Add in the farmers that paid me to kill like ones I hunt their farms for fun now and varmints were full time. Brother says hogs are tearing the place apart but don't have time to go over during day to hunt them or coyote. Guess I need to finish the next pair of night vision rifles and two or three nights a month take a pile to the farm and conscript my brother and nephew to killing hogs while I set up on coyote.

Brother has been burying the few hogs his daughter kills with the back hoe. His youngest daughter is most active hunter on the property along with some friends that shoot coyote or hogs if get the chance to save their free deer hunting paradise. Niece hunts everything with a 7mm-08 which slays hogs but says she can't get close enough to hit the coyote. Think if put brother, nephew and niece across road with night vision AR's they can spread out and hurt the hogs as once one or two are shot will start moving and it will be a free fire zone.

My plan is to use my game call with the flapping feather on pole to draw in coyote to main pasture then zap with the 16" 5.56 White Oak Armament SPR and 6x ATN Gen 2+ CGT then put the unmounted ATN X Sight 2 5-20x on a 22-250 turn bolt or 22 Nosler AR with big @$$ illuminator to take the longer shots cant reach with 5.56 and 6x in the dark. Anyone ever placed I.R. floods around an area to add I.R. to area plan to set up call and others that can't reach with your rifle mounted illuminator?

Have played with the 5-20x with included illuminator mounted to side like spotting scope and tried a bigger I.R. illuminator which neither gets enough light down range to take advantage of the 20x high side of the scope or the range of my 22-250 Ackley Improved. Have enough trouble using the 10 to 15x higher end of the pair of 3-15x ATN X Sight 2's that came in the three scope package deal. My 4x night vision AR can loan brother for hogs, a 3-15x X Sight to the nephew and niece then keep the 6x Gen 2+ White Oak 5.56 and 5-20x X Sight on a 22 Nosler/22-250 class rifle and work coyote or any hogs they run across the road. Doesn't matter if work, home or farm the varmint problem has gone Chernobyl over past decade.

Let some peace freaks start having coyote haul off their yard cats and yip dogs then hogs rip their manicured lawns to he!! and they will be begging folks like us to show up with AR 15's to save their pets and keep landscaping intact. Every year seems like less people hunt, more vermin show up and the southeast is getting overrun. Even seeing armadillo in west and south Georgia up to metro ATL area and have seen two dead in my neck of the woods past few years which means they will be an issue as well soon. Hippies that want nature to run free are not going to be happy when it goes from coyote taking mm pets and hogs ruining lawns to wolves hauling off kids. We have become a country of non hunters, gun haters and will pay a steep price if people don't wake up. My guess is it will become an excuse to put spy drones over America and have military troops doing training missions in urban areas under auspices of thinning wild varmint and game herds.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2018, 12:26   #24
lakipolitis
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80894
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Brother has been telling me between the coyote and now wild hogs the farm is getting ripped to shreds. The coyote wiped out our wild quail population within five years if me moving away in mid 80's. I had a gun room that overlooked the pasture and overflow bench for reloading equipment that didn't fit in the gun room in bedroom and between the two could get views of huge slices of pasture. Grandmother could see mid upper pasture and the coyote stayed out of upper pasture where the ornary bull was kept as he would stomp anything to death he could out of meanness. I would burn every coyote saw, if grandmother or dad spotted one they would tell me where they saw it stalking and would work that area of pasture till him and his pals were all dead.

Had to keep the ground hogs killed or horses would get hurt stepping in holes so like it is here on the Pinderosa, living on the farm was a full time killing job. Add in the farmers that paid me to kill like ones I hunt their farms for fun now and varmints were full time. Brother says hogs are tearing the place apart but don't have time to go over during day to hunt them or coyote. Guess I need to finish the next pair of night vision rifles and two or three nights a month take a pile to the farm and conscript my brother and nephew to killing hogs while I set up on coyote.

Brother has been burying the few hogs his daughter kills with the back hoe. His youngest daughter is most active hunter on the property along with some friends that shoot coyote or hogs if get the chance to save their free deer hunting paradise. Niece hunts everything with a 7mm-08 which slays hogs but says she can't get close enough to hit the coyote. Think if put brother, nephew and niece across road with night vision AR's they can spread out and hurt the hogs as once one or two are shot will start moving and it will be a free fire zone.

My plan is to use my game call with the flapping feather on pole to draw in coyote to main pasture then zap with the 16" 5.56 White Oak Armament SPR and 6x ATN Gen 2+ CGT then put the unmounted ATN X Sight 2 5-20x on a 22-250 turn bolt or 22 Nosler AR with big @$$ illuminator to take the longer shots cant reach with 5.56 and 6x in the dark. Anyone ever placed I.R. floods around an area to add I.R. to area plan to set up call and others that can't reach with your rifle mounted illuminator?

Have played with the 5-20x with included illuminator mounted to side like spotting scope and tried a bigger I.R. illuminator which neither gets enough light down range to take advantage of the 20x high side of the scope or the range of my 22-250 Ackley Improved. Have enough trouble using the 10 to 15x higher end of the pair of 3-15x ATN X Sight 2's that came in the three scope package deal. My 4x night vision AR can loan brother for hogs, a 3-15x X Sight to the nephew and niece then keep the 6x Gen 2+ White Oak 5.56 and 5-20x X Sight on a 22 Nosler/22-250 class rifle and work coyote or any hogs they run across the road. Doesn't matter if work, home or farm the varmint problem has gone Chernobyl over past decade.

Let some peace freaks start having coyote haul off their yard cats and yip dogs then hogs rip their manicured lawns to he!! and they will be begging folks like us to show up with AR 15's to save their pets and keep landscaping intact. Every year seems like less people hunt, more vermin show up and the southeast is getting overrun. Even seeing armadillo in west and south Georgia up to metro ATL area and have seen two dead in my neck of the woods past few years which means they will be an issue as well soon. Hippies that want nature to run free are not going to be happy when it goes from coyote taking mm pets and hogs ruining lawns to wolves hauling off kids. We have become a country of non hunters, gun haters and will pay a steep price if people don't wake up. My guess is it will become an excuse to put spy drones over America and have military troops doing training missions in urban areas under auspices of thinning wild varmint and game herds.
You aren't wrong. We've been seeing the same here in South Florida. We hunt alot of private land with dogs (they're really good about cattle and horses), because the owners don't want tons of gun shots. We also used to have access to some farmlands that owners wanted us to stack bodies. I remember shooting 40-60 hogs in a weekend in Central Florida.

If you ever need a hand stacking hogs up, or coyotes, I'm always down for a road trip - I even bring my own ammo and tent
__________________
Found my R1 Parts Kit - got tons of extra parts pm me
lakipolitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2018, 12:28   #25
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Brother says hogs are tearing the place apart
Feral hogs are a huge problem for agriculture in Texas. One state spokesman said there are two kinds of landowners in Texas these days. Those with wild hogs on their land, and those that will have. They can't be killed fast enough to make a big difference. That old sow I shot had a fresh litter of piglets on her. Those little female piglets will breed in 6-8 months, and she will have had another litter by then as well. And so it goes on...
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2018, 12:32   #26
lakipolitis
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80894
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Feral hogs are a huge problem for agriculture in Texas. One state spokesman said there are two kinds of landowners in Texas these days. Those with wild hogs on their land, and those that will have. They can't be killed fast enough to make a big difference. That old sow I shot had a fresh litter of piglets on her. Those little female piglets will breed in 6-8 months, and she will have had another litter by then as well. And so it goes on...
Absolutely true. You can't exterminate them fast enough. There are plenty of guys like me, however, that would be MORE than happy to help out and stack bodies. Like I said to hueyville, if you ever want some (hog) soldiers of fortune, I bring my own ammo and tent.
__________________
Found my R1 Parts Kit - got tons of extra parts pm me
lakipolitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018, 06:26   #27
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 5,582
We don't have them bad YET, but they are here which means will get worse. Growing up we had some of the finest quail hunting a person could want. Don't get greedy and shoot enough for a few meals per year and they stayed plenitful. Within two years of seeing first coyote there were no more quail. Worst part was my poor dogs. Trained to hunt quail and nothing to point on. Tried buying farm raised quail, releasing day before hunt but once dogs flushed them flew so low slow and short distance was not even a challenge with 28 gauges over/under.

Tried killing coyote and introducing farm quail hoping they would go wild but just one coyote get in the pastures it was adios to the quail. Right now our deer hunters are doing a decent job with the hogs. Have one guy who hunts every Friday through the season and brings one or both sons. They all hunt big bucks and cull doe for the freezer. Each one has deer rifle of choice and a suppressed 300 BO turn bolt. Kill every hog they see. Most of our deer hunters allowed to use property kill hogs if see them.

As to additional guests that may be looked at in the future. We have a family first, friends on the list second policy for hunting and fishing. Some have been on the list for over 40 years. Man calls, is written on master calender for day chosen then him and his family (up to two additional hunters with them) have the place for the day. Usually the entire deer season is booked a couple months before opening day. If hogs get bad we will make any changes we can but a blessing/problem is 3,000 acres of wildlife management area join three sides of property. Darn hogs or coyote don't respect property lines and why we have such great deer hunting. Deer are used to limited managed hunts so usually wander around and seem suprised when get shot soon after crossing onto the farm.

Last I checked they were only opening the management area up 15 days per year for hogs. So no matter how many we kill there are 3,000 acres of potential hog freedom surrounding us for 350 days of the year. Same reason we have so many big deer and such is going to be another horror story if management areas doesnt increase the hog season with population growth. Like quail, we used to have a large number of turkey. The coyote are coming on so strong and like the easy pickings they made of our quail they are going through the turkey population. Right now hog are new to the farm and between brother and his kids they shoot any they see but none have capable equipment or skills for long distance varmint hunting or night hunting.

As a test of the market I listed my half with a real estate company for six months. Had planned on giving it to my church but when they decided to prioritize kids in Haiti over local families and kids along with other decisions going to see if it will sell at fair price and then donate the money to some charities with 50 to over 100 years of transparent distribution of funds, no donations go to salaries or administration. Hate to sell but if leave to brothers kids they will and spend the money on cars and larget screen t.v.'s. The listing expires right before hunting season so according to offers my portion may go on as normal or be sold. Hoping the state will buy and add to the WMA so it stays undeveloped.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018, 21:31   #28
lakipolitis
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 80894
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 37
Hueyville, that's such a shame on all accounts. I'm glad you guys are able to give so many people an opportunity to hunt. Just wish I had that. Good luck keeping the hogs and coyotes at bay.

When they get thick, the deer pop will drop or relocate. It's an ugly mess and requires constant vigilance.
__________________
Found my R1 Parts Kit - got tons of extra parts pm me
lakipolitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2018, 08:26   #29
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor
 
Texgunner's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 4653
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Brokenoak in central Texas-Milam county
Posts: 7,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakipolitis View Post
When they get thick, the deer pop will drop or relocate. It's an ugly mess and requires constant vigilance.
That's the truth! Since I've seen a big increase in the number of hogs I've also noticed a distinct drop in the deer population. I believe that the hogs, being smarter, are able to out-compete both the deer and the coyotes for the available resources. A friend told me he had read that hogs were the 4th smartest mammal. I told him that must place me at 5th or 6th, at least.
__________________
"The rock of democracy will founder when people think of people unlike themselves as the "other"-Teddy Roosevelt

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2018, 23:47   #30
yarro
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 28278
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 905
I grew up in Northern Minnesota. We had coyote problems back then, but there is a fix for that though it is hard on the deer. Wolves. Dad spends a lot of time in the woods and has not seen a coyote in years but lots of foxes now. Three years is about as old as a buck gets. The wolves run them all down after and during the rut. Sometimes they just kill them and leave them lay. Used to see moose, but they are easier for wolves to kill than deer. Can't leave a dog outside or the wolves will get it. Wonder if they would dent a hog population though. Imagine that the hogs would off a few of them. Bald eagles fill the role of vultures there. See them sitting on road kill all the time.

-yarro
__________________
Most people will give up freedoms for the perception of safety until they are no longer free or safe.
yarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2018, 21:12   #31
hangfire762
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 44232
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 379
About 2 weeks ago I watched a nice big boar swim the Brazos River from the Robertson county side to the Milam County side. Always heard pigs were good swimmers, never seen it till then.
hangfire762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files