Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old May 06, 2018, 12:50   #1
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Boring Bees

Work has been invaded by bumble bees that love boring holes in any structural wood to live. Tried a zillion trucks over the years and never gotten rid of them. Fiend came by work yesterday and suggested shooting them with pellet rifle which I have been doing but only when buzzing in area have a backstop as don't want to be breaking neighbors windows and such. He suggested an ammo choice had never considered or heard of. Strike anywhere matches.

Cut heads off, load in rifle and they actually light due to friction of travel down bore and are somewhat accurate 15 to 20 feet. Dug around and found some waterproof matches that fit bore of one of my 22 caliber spring action pellet rifles so cock, load and send a burning projectile that if misses falls to ground around 30 to 40 feet. When hit a bee it even sets their wings on fire. Would not have believed it till saw it. We spent about a half hour shooting and killed about a dozen of the buggers which is above my average for same time using a wood paddle I fabricated for slapping them as learned to go high out of reach when I got the paddle.

Have now come up with dozens of ideas and went to Wallyworld and purchased some hurricane matches that have four to five times the flammable solid of a regular strike anywhere match but can't use it all as chamber length limits to cutting their heads in half for two shots but head end does much better. Need to find some 177 size matches and look for a 20 caliber pellet rifle as the 22 is a bit loose and my matches would not fit in 177. Find me a 20 caliber pellet rifle and believe accuracy will improve with better match to bore fit and maybe even range. If dry keep a fire extinguisher close by. YMMV but dang if it didn't work. The few times succeeded in setting their wings on fire it was almost as fun as sex.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2018, 14:07   #2
12v71
Perched in the MP
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 71127
Carpenter bees. Very stubborn pests. If you can see the nest through the hole, blast it with Brake or Carb cleaner. Supposedly plugging the hole with RTV silicone sealer with stop them too. Seems they wont try to chew the stuff.

"Freedom is not a crime"

I'm a heavy equipment mechanic because brain surgery was far too easy.
12v71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2018, 14:17   #3
Sig220
Registered

FALaholic #: 11622
I use a badminton racket. Carefully, as overuse will result in "bee" elbow! The bees around here came in early...on the first day killed about 50 and at last count it was over 80.

If you are quick, you can catch the white faced ones that hover with your hand. They (males) can't sting anyway. You will know it if you misidentify!!

I also made a carpenter bee trap. Had pretty good success last year with that....should have improved upon the trap this year but got busy and then just employed the racket!
Old May 06, 2018, 17:08   #4
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Have tried freezing them after go in hole but when warm up they come back to life.. plugged holes with rubber, plastic and metal but they tunnel out sideways. Bought one of those big swatters looks like small tennis racquet and zaps like a bug zapper but they stay high and chasing on a ladder sucks. Setting them on fire is darn good fun and will do that till stops being fun.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old May 06, 2018, 18:26   #5
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Just quit using untreated wood outdoors,,,they wont mess with any green lumber.
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2018, 18:29   #6
Sig220
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
The problem with "treated" lumber is it only keeps them away until it dries out....then just watch for the sawdust! In my climate, it doesn't take long for that to happen. Treated 4x4 placed in concrete, will break off at the concrete in 8 years.

Then again, the lumber in my attic (pine) is safe from all bugs...except the fire bug....'cause it has a lot of "lighter" pine up there!
Old May 06, 2018, 18:30   #7
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
You've been to my shelter house on the gun range. They are tearing it up too.
Old May 06, 2018, 18:44   #8
yovinny
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7679
Green wood comes in a multitude of grades,,with anywhere from .25 to 2.5oz treatment per board foot,,,,you need to read the tag.
Anything in contact with the ground or marine environment needs the best,,and it will out live your time.
If you buy the cheapest stuff from lowes or home depo, you get garbage.
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2018, 19:59   #9
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Very easy to make some traps and reduce the population significantly. Not as fun as smoking them with a BB or pellet gun, but way more productive. Here is one method to makes some quick traps:

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2018, 20:24   #10
Sig220
Registered

Quote:
If you buy the cheapest stuff from lowes or home depo, you get garbage.
You are typing the truth, but there are no other choices here....looking at the tag....it says good for ground contact....Never have tried to bring one back! My fence pickets feel like balsa wood when they started out as treated pine!!
Old May 06, 2018, 20:33   #11
Sig220
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
Very easy to make some traps and reduce the population significantly. Not as fun as smoking them with a BB or pellet gun, but way more productive. Here is one method to makes some quick traps:

Do you think the guy in the video cut his fingernail on his left hand index finger too short? I dabble in carpentry but want to keep all my digits!
Old May 06, 2018, 21:59   #12
HelpiFALanCantGetUp
Registered

FALaholic #: 66011
i was a painting contractor for close to 20 yrs. every summer we would repair the bee holes and by next year there would be another hole right next to the repaired one.
HelpiFALanCantGetUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2018, 10:13   #13
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
traps are the answer

hang them and let the bees do themselves in
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2018, 13:27   #14
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Is there not a "Salt-shooter" gun? May not be as exciting as watching the buggers go down in flames. but at least you wouldn't set the Barn on fire.

Shot many a matchstick out of my old Red Ryder BB rifle.
Sorta gave up the practice when the fugwits came up with the "scratch on box" idea.

New "scratch anywheres" nowadays don't have the oomph they use to.
Old May 07, 2018, 13:39   #15
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
The little bastages will bore into the fasica board on a house and lay eggs. Then the woodpeckers will come along and destroy the fasica getting at the larva. Double whammy. I repaired a lot of cedar on Mom's house over the years. Finally I found some cedar colored caulk. Looked good from the ground and was a heck of a lot easier than replacing wood.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2018, 14:23   #16
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
Is there not a "Salt-shooter" gun? May not be as exciting as watching the buggers go down in flames. but at least you wouldn't set the Barn on fire.
You mean https://bugasalt.com/ ?

Talking about bees, what is the 2in one shaped like a VW bettle?
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2018, 07:37   #17
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Everything they are eating is treated and painted with three coats of paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig220 View Post
The problem with "treated" lumber is it only keeps them away until it dries out....then just watch for the sawdust! In my climate, it doesn't take long for that to happen. Treated 4x4 placed in concrete, will break off at the concrete in 8 years.

Then again, the lumber in my attic (pine) is safe from all bugs...except the fire bug....'cause it has a lot of "lighter" pine up there!
I install 30 treated posts in ground in an average week. If put cement around them last about five to ten years. Dig a deep hole and pack well have them that have been up 25 years and still solid. Easiest way to not pass your insection on a deck around here is cement to posts in the ground. It is first thing inspector looks for though if build on concrete slab it must be treated wood that makes contact with the slab. I can't figure it out but works so them egg heads that write codes know something.
Old May 08, 2018, 09:33   #18
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Everything they are eating is treated and painted with three coats of paint.

I install 30 treated posts in ground in an average week. If put cement around them last about five to ten years. Dig a deep hole and pack well have them that have been up 25 years and still solid. Easiest way to not pass your insection on a deck around here is cement to posts in the ground. It is first thing inspector looks for though if build on concrete slab it must be treated wood that makes contact with the slab. I can't figure it out but works so them egg heads that write codes know something.

fastest way I ever set any post is to brace the post w/ as many large rocks as I can, then start shoveling sand while the hose runs, instant solid set
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote