The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old March 10, 2015, 15:06   #1
cprher

FALaholic #: 20391
Not an FAL, but hey, pretty cool nonetheless...

A little over a year ago I started building a match rifle to shoot Swiss GP11 government ball ammo exclusively. For those of you unfamiliar with GP11 ammo it is Swiss ball ammo for their K31 rifle and is known for its superb accuracy. In addition, it sells for about $.60 a round. The action is a blueprinted Remington 700 with a one-piece oversized bolt (.704") from Pacific Machine. The action is reamed to .705" so the fit is very close and precise. The rail is from Nightforce and the trigger is an X-treme Model 22. The stock is a McMillan Baker Special with three way adjustable butt and thumbwheel adjustable cheekrest. The barrel is a Brux with a standard Palma contour and is 28" overall. The bore is .298"/.306" with a 10.5" twist in Chrom Moly. Here is the finished product, outfitted with the Riles front sight and the Redfield Palma rear. Ignore the stock's color. The phone's flash gave it an ugly green color rather than the Dark Earth color it really is. Very similar to Dark Earth you find on a variety of commercial guns like the FN SCAR and various AR-15 clones.

I did some initial sighting in and barrel break in this last weekend and got some encouraging results. The groups identified A and B were shot with iron sights. B was the first three shot group and then A was the followup with a sight adjustment. Group B should have been more concentric. The third shot that strayed out to the right is definitely my fault. Group C was shot with the scope. It is a 5 shot group rather than a 3 shot group. Three shots are in the left group and 2 shots are in the right. I know my shooting skills and when I have horizontal spread it is almost always my fault, not the gun's. This week I'll be doing some additional shooting at 100 yards to nail down the initial results.

cprher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015, 15:54   #2
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
I wondered about the McMillan Baker's Special stock as seen in their catalog. That's the first time I have ever seen one on a rifle. You did a great job.

Thanks for posting those pics.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015, 16:21   #3
nyalaman
Registered

FALaholic #: 67335
very Nice build.
Old March 10, 2015, 16:41   #4
mpnv
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64169
Well Done!
mpnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015, 18:51   #5
cprher

FALaholic #: 20391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead504 View Post
I wondered about the McMillan Baker's Special stock as seen in their catalog. That's the first time I have ever seen one on a rifle. You did a great job.

Thanks for posting those pics.

Jarhead
For your entertainment, here's a few more of mine

Keith
cprher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2015, 18:55   #6
oleblu72
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 29908
Quote:
Originally Posted by cprher View Post